Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Mhulsebu
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20140403110539-Motordome (resized).JPG
    #1 6 years ago

I'm sure its been done before, short legs on machines for wheelchair access. Or maybe not,I've never witnessed one in person. Seems like a niche thing with a lot of potential, open up another experience for people. Or a shortened machine with alternate flipper buttons for those without all digits (toe powered flippers?). You get the idea.
    Just throwing it out there.

#2 6 years ago

I've definitely heard of mods that make both flippers flip with one button for people who've lost a hand/limb.

#3 6 years ago

Good stuff trunch,anybody else? Maybe a vibration unit on an EM thats differentiated in intensity according to target for the Blind?

#4 6 years ago

I've seen a pin with the front of the cab modified for wheelchair access. It's in a thread on here. I thought was a good idea.

#5 6 years ago

There was a guy at Pinfest who was in a wheelchair (and had no legs) and he was definitely playing. He and his chair weren't under the machine, but AFAIK was just in front of it and could reach and see. Saying this seriously, perhaps the lack of limbs provided the ability for him to get close enough (very close) and still play. Obviously this does not apply to all handicapped people. Neat idea, phil-lee.

It was nice to see people from all areas of life and abilities being able to share the common love, and play, of pinball.

#6 6 years ago

20140403110539-Motordome (resized).JPG20140403110539-Motordome (resized).JPG

#7 6 years ago

I see a small handful of wheelchair users at shows. I haven't really paid much attention to their playing technique, but it seems like they get as close to the game as they can and lean forward a bit.

As for one-handed play, there were a couple threads about it, and a couple of prototype devices came out of the mix, if I remember right.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/one-armed-pinball-i-mean-it

#8 6 years ago

The Quicksilver from our local pinball show (YEGPIN) last weekend had two buttons on the right side, one for the right flipper and the other for left. I was told for one-armed players.

#9 6 years ago

Someone I know owns a Space Jam that has been modified so that the flippers can be activated with a blow tube. I think sucking in activates the right flipper and blowing out activates both flippers. You can also play with machine with the actual flipper buttons. The game has been lowered as well. He's restoring it and plans to donate the machine to children's charity when it's finished. It's really neat project that will hopefully give some children the chance to try something, they never thought they could before.

#10 6 years ago

Ive got a friend in a wheel chair. He rolls up and plays. Its not the best angle, but he doesnt complain. Some day maybe Ill have a SMBMW that I can put the legs on the lower setting and see what he says.

#11 6 years ago

That Motordome is now owned the the Iowa Spinal Cord Association thanks to Homepin and many other pinsiders donating to help them buy it. It was created by a company called Arcade Access (supposedly 10 were made but I think most have been destroyed) and has many features that make accessible:

1) Cut out cabinet so a wheelchair user can get their legs under the machine.
    2) Bowed out lets to allow even more space for wider chairs (also wheels so it can be brought to a person sitting in a chair or on a bed)
    3) Lower legs for a better view of somone in a chair
    4) A launch button (Motordome came with a standard plunger) for people with limited arm/hand use
    5) Large up front buttons for start button, each flipper, and launch (again for people with limited arm/hand use or short arms that can't reach each side of the cabinet).
    6) It also has a sip/puff controller but I haven't been able to get that to work well or consistently...still trying.

I am also trying to get it set up so I can switch an Eight Ball Champ (also a Bally 6803 unit) into the cabinet to give some variety (and I think it is probably an easier to understand concept for new players.

My wife is a quadriplegic who has come to learn to really like pinball. When not using this machine, we usually have to play split flipper as her legs in her wheelchair are too tall to fit under a machine. So she has to sit sideways next to the coin door and is only to reach one flipper easily. She is surprisingly good at playing like this...especially considering she is often sitting low enough that she can't see the lower 3/4 of the flipper.

You might be surprise how many pinball players with disabilities there are.

#12 6 years ago

There is also this topic which deals with one-armed playing:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/one-armed-pinball-i-mean-it

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/handicapped-access-to-pinball?hl=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.