3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Atari_Daze
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
    AFM2.jpg
    AFM1.jpg

#1 3 years ago

I;ve been going at it for 4 day snow and the handheld scanners are very tempermental, and will scew the image ever so slightly or make the sacne bigger from one to the next and results in very poor stitching. Does anyone have any tips regarding this methid or perhaps another method to use to have more success.

Thanks

#2 3 years ago

You may want to give pinside Curbfeeler a shout and see if he knows anything about this. Buenos part of the cameo club here on the site and is very knowledgable in these areas. He might be able to help get you going in the right direction worth a pm anyway

Good luck

G

#3 3 years ago

Hand scanners are a nightmare.

Using the old school HP flatbed scanner with 20% overlap, lets Photoshop easily stitch the scans together.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Hand scanners are a nightmare.
    Using the old school HP flatbed scanner with 20% overlap, lets Photoshop easily stitch the scans together.

I was afraid someone would say that but as of right now seems like the only viable option.

#5 3 years ago

I have a super handy hand held scanner that's battery operated and scans go sd card without being attached to a pc. Sounds great, right? It's not. The problem is the image will be sized according to the (in)consistent speed you move the scanner. On a flatbed, the machine controls the speed of the moving camera not a human.

A cheap flatbed with no lid attached to a laptop is the only way to go here. Sorry.

#6 3 years ago

The old HP 4600 series type of see through flatbed scanner is still the best way. I still do this.
    I've scanned entire playfields and entire cabinets very successfully stitching with Photoshop Elements.
    As already noted, the amount of overlap of scans is very important for any stitching effort, including photographs. Too little and it doesn't work well. Too much is never bad.

If you can find a flatbed scanner that can work upside down (I've never found one but some people say they exist) that will work too.
    The flatbeds I have only support the scan bar on only one side, gravity keeps the other side on the rail. Turn them upside down and they are crooked and jam.

As a last resort you can do good scanning with a camera using the same overlap rules and a fixed camera to object distance. But it needs a lot more distortion correction and scaling in Photoshop. A lot more work.

Alan

#7 3 years ago

An example of AFM backbox side scan, stitched together with Photoshop (before editing). It was scanned by HP Scanjet 4670 scanner.

AFM1.jpg

#8 3 years ago

Source images which were used to create a single backbox side art image (the last five on the right):

AFM2.jpg

#9 3 years ago

Yeah, I use the HP 4670 and a long USB cable. Even with the bare-bones driver, hitting the button on the scanner itself starts it, so the computer can sit anywhere.

#10 3 years ago

Just remember that you need the HP 4600 scanner drivers for Vista to install it in Win 8 or 10.

HP did not make any official 8/10 drivers AFAICT.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=407839&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=2100

2 years later
    #11 1 year ago

Just picked up an HP ScanJet 4600. No issues getting it working with Windows 10. I simply downloaded the Vista drivers and it worked perfectly.

1 week later
    #12 1 year ago

I've noticed my HP 4600 is doing some weird "striations" when I scan at higher res, anyone experience similar?
    It's really a pain when trying to do playfield stuff.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #13 1 year ago

There are posts here mentioning the lines, don't think there is a fix. I have not needed to go more than 300 dpi for all my decals and they are sharp. Does it make the lines at that resolution?

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from SteveinTexas:

Does it make the lines at that resolution?

You know, I'll have to look.
    I dont think it does as I scanned the cabinet at much lower res since it was just for a stencil and dont recall any lines.
    I'll experiment tonight and report my findings, thanks!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 239.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 8,000.00
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 86.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    € 6.50
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 19.95
    Apparel - Women
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    $ 12,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 39.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    € 18.95
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Latenight Weeknight Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside