(Topic ID: 138399)

Hand riveting ramp flaps, technique advice?

By EvanDickson

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1446593228510901933311.jpg
    14465932003781800842433.jpg
    14465868021331800842433.jpg
    arivit.jpg
    image.jpg
    IMG_20150909_231353802.jpg
    IMG_20150909_231318289.jpg
    IMG_20150909_231252732.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mg81.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 8 years ago

I love tools, I own far more than I will ever need. But if you are only going to be doing a few rivets you can just form the rivets by hand with a hammer and drift.

You don't need to buy any special tool (or premade rivet for that matter).

Take a look at this site and you will see some simple hammer power to form the rivet.

http://www.pinrestore.com/Riveting.html

But you don't need to even buy this tool. You can just do it with a standard drift. It might not look as perfect as specially tool would make, but I don't think anyone would ever notice.

Ideally, you will be able to find the correct rivets, that will make you life much easier.

But, you can make rivet with any random piece of metal rod stock that will deform when hammered (not so hard that it will crack). Form a head on the rod with a hammer, cut the rivet off to the right length and peen the rivet head over on the other side with a hammer, DIY rivet. You can also find a nail with a right size head on it and cut it off and use it as a ready made rivet. The rivet does not need to a have a hollow tube on the back side, just hammer the end so it is upset (you are doing on a smaller scale what old riveters did when they constructed a building using riveted steel beams.)

The correct tools and pre-made rivets will make the job go much quicker, but if you are only doing a few it will probably take you less time to just use common tools and material compared to finding and ordering specially items that you will use only a few times.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mg81.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hand-riveting-ramp-flaps-technique-advice?tu=mg81 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.