• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230210_195955 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_5430147_0 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

I have a Sorcerer with a pretty worn playfield. My mother, who is an artist, saw it and offered to completely hand paint the playfield if I sand it down to bare wood. Looking through these threads, it doesn't seem like completely hand painting the entire playfield is done very often lol. I figure I'd let her try as it might save me the cost and time of a new playfield swap.

Opinions?

Seems like hand painting would leave a bit of texture on the playfield. Is this something a good clear coat could smooth out?

#2 1 year ago

I have spot painted many and there is alot of black in that one so could be forgiving depending on artist talent. Or get a repro playfield... https://mircoplayfields.com/en/p/sorcerer-mirco-playfield https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-playfields/sorcerer/

#3 1 year ago

Interesting. Just my take, but… if someone is going to go through that effort I would want them to take some artistic license and create something unique rather than just mimic the original art. I mean you would still want to preserve the gameplay and all. They may not be able to accurately recreate the art since it was an entirely different process, so may as well make it something different.

#4 1 year ago

I would have them repaint the worn areas and see how that goes.. Definitely will want a clear coat or mylar over the areas afterwards or the hard work will rub off pretty quickly.

#5 1 year ago

If so after she’s done a good clear coat 5 or 6 coats will cover everything nice a flat

#6 1 year ago

If you hand-paint an entire playfield, there absolutely will be texture. I've done it:

Pinside_forum_5430147_0 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_5430147_0 (resized).jpg

So be prepared to build up several layers of clear, such that it can be sanded smooth without digging into your painstaking work. Alternatively / additionally, you can buy a clear playfield protector for most titles. But you should still seal in the handiwork with a clear layer; protectors can and so shift and adhere slightly so you don't want that scuffing or removing the work.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Interesting. Just my take, but… if someone is going to go through that effort I would want them to take some artistic license and create something unique rather than just mimic the original art. I mean you would still want to preserve the gameplay and all. They may not be able to accurately recreate the art since it was an entirely different process, so may as well make it something different.

Yes my thoughts exactly! We did discuss this and may change some things/colors. I just wouldn't want to deviation much from the original plastic art and colors. I told her it doesn't have to be perfectly identical to the original. Not a big deal as I am no really concerned about resell value.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

If you hand-paint an entire playfield, there absolutely will be texture. I've done it:
[quoted image]
So be prepared to build up several layers of clear, such that it can be sanded smooth without digging into your painstaking work. Alternatively / additionally, you can buy a clear playfield protector for most titles. But you should still seal in the handiwork with a clear layer; protectors can and so shift and adhere slightly so you don't want that scuffing or removing the work.

Well that looks pretty sweet! Does it look as good close up as in that pic? Good to know that some layers of clear can smooth things out. Good idea with the playfield protector, too.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

If so after she’s done a good clear coat 5 or 6 coats will cover everything nice a flat

Ok thanks for confirming my thoughts.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from ROMM:

Ok thanks for confirming my thoughts.

Np anytime bud

#11 1 year ago

Lots of fade and wear

20230210_195955 (resized).jpg20230210_195955 (resized).jpg
#12 1 year ago

Yes it sure is and your mom can hand paint that hole PF if so I think we all here can’t wait too see it done ,it’s just me but would it be better for your mom too fill in all the areas instead of doing it all ?

#13 1 year ago

I like how the original art was done by a woman (Pam Erickson) and a woman is thinking about repainting it! It is always good to shout out women involved in pinball so I thought I should mention it!

#14 1 year ago

Sounds like a fun family project! I agree with the sentiment that if she's going to hand-paint it, she might as well do her own unique project (maybe you could get her to design a matching backglass as well). If she's essentially trying to mimic the original art you might be better off just buying a repro playfield from CGC.
https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-playfields/sorcerer/

#15 1 year ago

Hmm I dunno, I think I would clean it, clear it, get it nice and flat, then let her do touchups and embellishments on top. This way all the geometry and scale should match up at the end.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Huntsville, AL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.