(Topic ID: 130279)

Hammertone Spray Paint

By Bowman9

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

Has anyone used hammer tone spray paint - successfully?
    I am trying to paint an old set of legs with no luck, is there a trick to doing it right?

I soaked the legs in CLR to remove the rust, rinsed them, gave them a light sanding.
    I then primed them with Rust-oleum clean metal primer (light gray/white).

24 hours later I sprayed them with Rust-oleum Hammered (silver/gray) from about 12" away, but the "hammertone" effect did not appear, it just looked like regular silver/gray sraypaint.

So about 48 hours later I sprayed a few more coats this time very close with only minimal "hammertone" effect, you have to look at them closely to see it.

Any advice?

#2 8 years ago

I have always had good luck with this. Possibly too hot or damp where you are painting?

#3 8 years ago

They have also changed the formula.... so I was told.... Test this on a separate piece of metal, repeat a light coat at 12", and the next coat, let it be a little bit heavy...but not too much, it needs a" liquid surface", more then a "dusting" for the reaction to hammer finish.

At least, that is how I use to get the results I preferred on Slot machines.

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

I have always had good luck with this. Possibly too hot or damp where you are painting?

Same for me. Possibly bad can?

#5 8 years ago

I painted them outdoors, it was on the warm side with moderate to high humidity (not over powering).
    I tried to take pic with my phone, but the hammering does not show.
    Maybe it was a bad can, I will have test it on something else.

#6 8 years ago

I used it lately on a williams 1960's front door. Came out perfectly. It was a Rustoleum product. So simple I have to suspect your can was bad.

#7 8 years ago

Why not have them powder coated silver vein?

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from BillR:

Why not have them powder coated silver vein?

That is a future possibility, I was just looking for a quick and easy fix.

#9 8 years ago

Gotcha. If you want to do it I could turn them around same day, or if you wanted to take a ride, while you wait. Only take a couple hours.

#10 8 years ago

The hammer tone paint requires a liquid surface and a fairly heavy coat of paint. When you spray the first coat, wait a minute or two and recoat a little heavier than the first coat.

#11 8 years ago

I think the original "hammerite" was the better product they tried to copy. intended as machine paint, has fibers in it to make it tougher. it did have to be sprayed on pretty thick wet all at once for the beading reaction of black-silver-color and a clear to rise onto the top.
    about 20 years ago built a tandem bicycle (easy welding project) painted it in green hammerite came out looking really nice. last tandem I built got rustoleum "hammered" coppery color, nowhere near as pleasing effect from the stuff.

#12 8 years ago

I've only used the old stuff (pre-Rustoleum). I noticed that you can get a change in the pattern when you encounter ridges, raised surfaces or curves, etc. Other than that it worked really well for my Williams "Ten Strike" mannikin bowler.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hammertone-spray-paint and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.