Topic poll

“Are you buying a HOTG kit?”

• Hell yeah, I love it! 9 votes
    7%
  • Yes, if the art and inserts gets tightened up 5 votes
    4%
  • Maybe, if enough parts become available to build one from scratch. 1 vote
    1%
  • Maybe, depends on the price and availability of the sound card and displays. 3 votes
    2%
  • Maybe, if I can find a Vector somewhere. 14 votes
    11%
  • No, the art is not what I expect from a Led Zep pin. 52 votes
    39%
  • No, Vector is too hard of a layout for my tastes. 5 votes
    4%
  • No, too much money. 18 votes
    14%
  • Hell no, my religion forbids the distruction of a game. 25 votes
    19%

(Multiple choice - 132 votes by 115 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Principal_Richard_Vernon.jpg
fotografija.JPG
IMG00081.JPG
xenon.jpg
FB-515-5133-06-09TL.jpg
hC3462103.jpg
godz.jpg
zep.jpg
HotG Components.jpg
main.jpg
HOTG.jpg
foo-fighters-grammy-2001.jpg
Zeppelin_box.jpg
lz129b.jpg
pope-are-you-ready-to-rock1.jpg
tumblr_mjzdi5tqVS1qc7eoeo1_500.png
There are 388 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.
#251 8 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

If a Coder steps up we may take that into consideration, but not until we have a Coder....

Makes sense!

#252 8 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

---Note: Altec MPU Board is $199 ( and will have the New Code Pre-Installed )

Will the code be available to download for those who just burn their own EPROMS?

Or will we have to extract the code from an Alltek board ourselves?

#253 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Will the code be available to download for those who just burn their own EPROMS?

Altec MPU Board will have the New Code Pre-Installed and will not be available for download

#254 8 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

Altec MPU Board will have the New Code Pre-Installed and will not be available for download

That sucks.

#255 8 years ago

all this stuff got me on a zep kick. watched this this weekend. twice. if you don't own it, get it...

zep.jpgzep.jpg
#256 8 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

all this stuff got me on a zep kick. watched this this weekend. twice. if you don't own it, get it...

zep.jpg

I have Houses of the Holy on right now

#257 8 years ago

There's not a lot to work with, mech-wise, on a Flash. Can't really see making much of a game from that.

I get why they chose Vector - tons of awesome mechs, double playfield, etc. Tons to work with. But it's rarer than they think. I think I've seen 2-3 in the last 20 years of collecting.

I'd like to see someone price out the BOM on a new-sourced populated playfield, if that's even possible. Are brand new drop assemblies available for example?

#258 8 years ago

Why spell "godz" with a Z?

#259 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I get why they chose Vector - tons of awesome mechs, double playfield, etc. Tons to work with. But it's rarer than they think.

Vector was one of those games where if slightest thing was not working, the game became basically unplayable.

Many of them were junked when non-operators ended up with them.

They made the same amount of Fathoms as they did Vectors, yet 160 people on pinside own Fathoms, and only 70 own Vectors.

#260 8 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

because the actual gods own the licensinggodz.jpggodz.jpg

#261 8 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

Well, let's see, I think it has something to do with Rock & Roll and the fact that the designer chose to spell it that way...

Deaf Leopard = Def Leppard
Gods = Godz

#262 8 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

It keeps the ultra-religious from avoiding the game out of fear of using God's name in vain.

#263 8 years ago

Like boyz, kidz, etc. OK. Pet peeve of mine, but I get Deaf Leopard.

#264 8 years ago

hC3462103.jpghC3462103.jpg

#265 8 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

Why spell "Led" without an "a"?

#266 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I was just wondering that too...

#267 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Peter Grant changed the spelling to "led" in order to avoid mispronunciation, since Lead could also be pronounced ˈlēd and nobody wanted their zeppelin falling out of the lead.

#268 8 years ago

Anyone figure out a way to light these up reliably yet?

FB-515-5133-06-09TL.jpgFB-515-5133-06-09TL.jpg
#269 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

FB-515-5133-06-09TL.jpg

You can do what Whridlsoncestood did with Xenon. Of course is means drilling through the playfield. But it was reliable and looked great.

xenon.jpgxenon.jpg
#270 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

You can do what Whridlsoncestood did with Xenon. Of course is means drilling through the playfield. But it was reliable and looked great.

xenon.jpg

I've seen that great looking pic before, but when the flippers are up, are the LEDs just blasting the player in the eyes?

#271 8 years ago

I don't remember. I'll ask him when I see him on Wednesday for league. Knowing him he added a cut off to the EOS or something. He does great work.

#272 8 years ago

I just sent Jim a text. He said he added an extra EOS switch to cut off 12v from an extra power supply.

I figured he would do it right.

#273 8 years ago

Meanwhile, behind an innocent looking bookstore, a Vector pops on ebay for $1500 BIN...
(only a lil' more than $150.)
-mof

#274 8 years ago

same thing happened with Dolly Parton when the Lost Vegas Kit was announced. Prior to the announcement you couldn't give them away, then the day after the announcement for Lost Vegas the price shot up to $1400 ( even for a super crappy piece of junk Dolly - basically firewood ).....

.....I did mention about a month ago in several different threads that the price of a Bally Vector was going to go up soon....

#275 8 years ago

He specifically listed it as "Mechanically in great shape". Oh boy, time to hit all the garage sales like the old days.

#276 8 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

same thing happened with Dolly Parton when the Lost Vegas Kit was announced. Prior to the announcement you couldn't give them away, then the day after the announcement for Lost Vegas the price shot up to $1400 ( even for a super crappy piece of junk Dolly - basically firewood ).....
.....I did mention about a month ago in several different threads that the price of a Bally Vector was going to go up soon....

Did the Lost Vegas conversion ever come out? I haven't seen one yet. I recently picked up a Dolly although it's probably too nice to consider converting.

#277 8 years ago

Any more info on the sound card?

I'm not up for the Conversion, but I am interested in the sound card...

#278 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I've heard they are junk. They don't hold up well.
This comes from a friend who had them go t1ts up during TPF'15.

#279 8 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I've heard they are junk. They don't hold up well.
This comes from a friend who had them go t1ts up during TPF'15.

The LEDs broke?

The flippers broke?

Williams, Classic Bally?

What went tits up?

#280 8 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

With voices with higher ranges, it is definitely hit or miss a lot. I know that cause I fall into the higher range as well. Some days/night I was fine, I'd hit notes, others, not so much. Some nights I didn't remember nor care cause I was too drunk.

Same deal here, I'm a high tenor but I have to pay close attention to my condition when I'm singing. Put it this way, I can tell you which U2 albums Bono was smoking on based on his vocal range, because mine is similarly affected. Cigs give me an extra half an octave down low and cost me almost a whole octave up top. Coffee gives me a few more notes down low but doesn't cost me any on top.

Quoted from thedefog:

A trained ear can spot it instantly. No human being (except for a small handful) sings perfectly all the time. Does Plant use it? I dunno, but I'd venture to guess he does.

I hear it most of the time. The guy who throws me right now is Mike Massé. His voice is f'n amazing. He's had plenty of practice and knows his gear but damn, I can't get over how well he covers such a wide variety of music and the different voicings he seems to pull off effortlessly. I really hope it's all real.

Quoted from Aurich:

I wish someone would make a conversion kit for Williams Flash. Dirt common, cheap, and just an ugly game, that I would feel no remorse about swapping up into something else.

See, there's a lot of good points about that. I hate to see an unusual game disappear when there are a number of crappy ones that could be re-purposed. It's not like you're gonna half-ass the restore job either way, right?

Quoted from vid1900:

What went tits up?

Your mo... god dammit, trying to be nice for a week is hard.

Only really thinking about it in the larger frame, but isn't this essentially what Heighway is shooting for? I mean, the downside to this hobby is inertia. Conversion kits, modular parts... vs heavy, dedicated cabs. Meanwhile, everyone is reinventing the MAME cabinet. Just a thought fart, don't get mad if it smells bad.

#281 8 years ago

If there were someone making the wiring harness I would buy the kit and build one from scratch or convert another trashed out game.

#282 8 years ago

What would you be willing to pay for a wiring harness?

I did some work for a company that only makes wiring harnesses.

#283 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

There's one near me, basically minimum wage kids inserting connectors into plastic plugs. If I were trying to execute on a project like this, I'd engage them without question simply because the infrastructure and HR nightmare is already taken care of. Known costs.

#284 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I have no idea really as I have never needed one before. I guess it depends on if it was a true repro with correct color (and length) wires and connectors.

#285 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Not what I would pay but what I would expect it would cost: Just based on my experience, I am guessing in low quantities (25/50 under 100) a full blown playfield harness might run around $250 if not more. Its tough to bring the price down if the harness house needs to commit to all the different striped wire colors required (unless they have the means to stripe them themselves). And connectors and pins are also expensive if not being purchased in quantities greater than 100 per part.

With a cost that high, it would almost make sense to re-design the game kit based around the serial link driver boards on the playfield instead of trying to re-purpose the old Bally architecture (Such as PinKit by Kerry Imming - he even has the sound board to go with it!). Of course, this gets away from what CPR has already stated: They have someone to do the coding and that person knows Classic Bally 6800 architecture. And they probably aren't interested in finding or paying for someone else to port the rules over to a newer design.

Additionally, to my knowledge, no one has reproduced the Bally Drop target frames and assorted hardware necessary if you were putting together a kit from scratch. Therefore, it greatly limits the number that could be scrounged together unless you convert to using contemporary STERN parts.

The most unfortunate part is after all this discussion, its really looking like it will be extremely difficult, if not extremely expensive, to source up to 100 donor Vectors. Just like what happened with WNBJM and Continental Cafes.

#286 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The LEDs broke?
The flippers broke?
Williams, Classic Bally?
What went tits up?

Dunno about the Bally ones, but specifically the Williams style clear ones that are being sold are *utter garbage*. I had both of the ones on my STTNG break in less than 500 total plays, snapped off the shaft. Local friend of mine had the exact same experience.

#287 8 years ago

Does anyone know if Vector and Xenon use the same physical size lower cabinet? I can see the coin door and shooter position are different but I am wondering if Xenon is a possible choice for a starting point for the conversion too. Unless I am missing it, it seems Vector, Xenon, and Space Invaders are the only Bally double backglasses?

#288 8 years ago

A buddy of mine was at Allentown looking for a Vector and was curious about the same thing ( Backbox Size/Configuration ) and he determined that Vector & Xenon were the same Backbox, but Space Invaders didn't fit due to a Deeper backbox depth.....

Quoted from CactusJack:

it seems Vector, Xenon, and Space Invaders are the only Bally double backglasses?

#289 8 years ago

I was pretty excited when I heard about this, being the owner of a Vector machine that I am currently in the process of restoring.

However, I really love Vector. I think it's a great game, and the aesthetic of it IMO is one of the pinnacles of the 70s-era-sci-fi stuff Bally was producing. I could live with re-theming it as a Zepplin pin; it doesn't bother me that it's not officially-licensed. I like that it's not necessarily a destructive mod, but the key is whether or not the theme/sound works appropriately with the ruleset, or it's just a random batch of sound effects playing while the music goes in the background. Has there been any conscientious "programming" of the integration of the theme into the actual game?

#290 8 years ago

The Sound Board is in Development.....I am in the [ long ] process of going through the Vector Sounds right now and logging in everything so that Replacement Sounds, New Call-Outs, and Music can be recorded for the new sound card. We are developing the new sound card so that the end user can upload anything they want via a USB port.....

....of course with the New Rules comes New Sounds as well.....I am taking everything into consideration.....

.....and if someone wanted to the could over-right the new sounds/music with all new music....

Quoted from PinballHelp:

Has there been any conscientious "programming" of the integration of the theme into the actual game?

#291 8 years ago

Stu, earlier there was an early illustrated playfield posted - was that version nixed because it's an artistic representation of a real person, or something?

Also digging the backglass - very evocative of early Bally titles.

#292 8 years ago

Read about here: http://www.classicplayfields.com/hammer-documentation.pdf

Quoted from roffels:

Stu, earlier there was an early illustrated playfield posted - was that version nixed because it's an artistic representation of a real person, or something?

#293 8 years ago

Kinda bummed not to see more Crowley-related aspects but I know that's an irrelevant tangent. I'd settle for a 93 or two buried in there somewhere.

#294 8 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

to my knowledge, no one has reproduced the Bally Drop target frames and assorted hardware necessary if you were putting together a kit from scratch.

Back in the old days, you had to make dies and stamp out all those parts.

Now, if you are not going to run 3000 of something, they just laser cut the pieces.

For instance, on the Mechmate forum we made 20 sets of this laser cut 1/4" steel, including bending and heavy shipping for $250 each.

That large piece is 26" BTW

The thin steel of the drop target frames would be a cakewalk by comparison.

IMG00081.JPGIMG00081.JPG

fotografija.JPGfotografija.JPG
#295 8 years ago

So now that it's been announced and everyone has had some time to digest, how many of you guys are ready to commit?

#296 8 years ago

Probably not. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've never seen a Vector and can't find one to buy. I would unlikely purchase a kit without being able to play the base game. It's a little beyond my skill set a this point even if I totally loved it. As it stands, I find it interesting because of the music, but don't love it. I do hope it is successful for the sake of CPR.

#297 8 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

It's a little beyond my skill set a this point even if I totally loved it.

I think a fun idea would be to have about 10 HOTGs at Expo and build them on the spot.

Put them in a row, with 10 rotisserie, 5-8 pintechs and do an assembly line.

A webcast could allow people at home to follow along.

#298 8 years ago

Dave M says it could take days to assemble.

I say as long as your parts are clean and tumbled, and your pops & flipper mechs rebuilt, they'd be done in a day.

When you've got a bunch of the same games side by side, it really goes fast.

#299 8 years ago

I see in your poll that you have a vote line for "Yes, if the art and inserts gets tightened up"......

These 2 votes really can't be counted as it is well documented on the marketing page:
"Lots of detailed photos will reveal the designs and prototypes that are now considered Final."
http://www.classicplayfields.com/hammer.html

#300 8 years ago

I'm still looking for a vector made ridiculously cheap due to trashed playfield, broken backglass and missing mpu.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 90.00
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

2,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 388 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hammer-of-the-godz-led-zep-pinball-finally/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.