Cbl9jGwUcAEkjQk (resized).jpg
IMG_2793 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2800 (resized).jpeg
20240405_232130 (resized).JPG
IMG_1506 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3494 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

15 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2369 Upper playfield adjustment video. Posted by lpeters82 (2 years ago)

Post #3112 Upper playfield adjustment video Posted by spandol (2 years ago)

Post #3319 TECH: DISPLAY. LCD settings so blacks look better. Posted by manadams (2 years ago)

Post #3394 Stock LCD Display - alternate settings Posted by Mad_Dog_Coin_Op (2 years ago)

Post #4163 How to square a cabinet. Posted by rotordave (2 years ago)

Post #4472 Please Read - re order numbers and order of manufacture. Posted by rotordave (2 years ago)

Post #5620 Porting the cabinet to stop bass rattle Posted by rotordave (1 year ago)

Post #5659 Mudflaps Custom Cards #1 Posted by Mudflaps (1 year ago)

Post #5776 Mudflaps Apron Card bonanza! Posted by Mudflaps (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider treybo69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4042 2 years ago

My amateur pinbuilder's two cents: Any low voltage data line should be kept away from a bundle of high voltage solenoid lines. If they need to cross over it is best to do so at 90 degrees. It looks like the servo lines are bundled up right next to the solenoid bundle. Separate them out and I bet there is less interference

#4044 2 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

I'm curious - anyone with Michael creep. Do you know for a fact you are plugged into a grounded 3 prong outlet? In my experience lots of old houses aren't wired correctly. Can someone with Michael creep please plug in a tester and report back the findings?
[quoted image]

Granted I'm not an electrical engineer, but to my knowledge this wouldn't make a significant difference to EMI issues. All the grounds should be tied together within the game (and the game would act very weirdly and probably damage itself if they weren't)

What does cause a lot of EMI is the solenoid lines, especially when using pulse width modulation (rapidly turning on/off) to control coils and their power. So it makes sense that if the slingshots go off a bunch at once that a servo data line might pick up some garbage interference and move into a new position. It makes less sense why hitting the blood standup targets would cause that, as they are (I'm assuming) only 12v switches and should be generating less EMI.

Did Spooky ever upload any schematics or other info on these games or the Pinotaur board? I'd like to learn some more of the technical specifications for my own edification.

edit: rereading some older posts, they mention that touching the lockdown bar sometimes causes them to move which makes it sound like a floating ground issue

1 week later
#4250 2 years ago

Just a thought, can the update process be updated so it isn’t looking for such a particular file name? Then Spooky could upload update files named h78-yy-mm-DD and the updater program can simply use which ever is the newest file on the stick. That way people aren’t mixing up old updates or getting the “(1)”

#4252 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The flip side of this is that a lot of people don’t delete the old versions and it can be very hard in code to definitively tell what’s the “latest” file on a USB drive. And do you even WANT the latest to install automatically? What if you are trying to downgrade?
Doing it like this prevents people from accidentally bricking their machine, sort of making it harder to update on purpose.
I will say that overwhelmingly the over-the-air update model is vastly superior - Multimorphic introduced this last year, as did JJP (maybe stern too?). If Spooky knew they would be doing such frequent updates I’m sure they would have (or did?) considered adding this capability, but it’s a lot to take on. They ramped up considerably just to get the games out.

That’s why you’d name the code with a time stamp. Then it’s just browsing the directory and looking for the biggest date when listing the files.

Also makes it easier to downgrade by knowing which updates are which instead of all of them being named the same.

1 month later
#5633 1 year ago
Quoted from frankmac:

The light boards on the upper playfield burn. Take a look under and see if there is discoloration of the white connections. Light smoke under the glass and a electric smell or plastic smell.
[quoted image]

Wow that looks really bad. Too much current I guess? (Serial LED amperage adds up quick). Maybe a bad connector adding more resistance and heat?

1 week later
#5829 1 year ago

I don’t have a Halloween, but have had success using one of these on the same amp used in Spooky games

https://www.amazon.com/Isolator-Eliminate-Buzzing-Completely-Playing/dp/B019FC6ZQQ/

Edit. Also I replaced the 3.5mm to RCA with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm then the ground loop isolated then a 3.5mm to RCA

https://www.amazon.com/eBoot-3-5mm-Audio-Stereo-Adapter/dp/B06XC5KWJN/
https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Professional-Silver-Plating-Tangle-Free-Audiophile/dp/B00WHUTQNS

1 week later
#6007 1 year ago

What about copying something like METs multiball? Hit all the blood stand ups, then park a ball for a bit and add a timed +2x playfield. Seems like a ball can be parked in Judith Meyers or balcony.

Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Why give a rats ass what a tourny player wants? Tourny players scour the rules, find the best strategy - which might include absurd loopholes - and then spam the same shots over and over again to amass points. Input on game quality and game enjoyment from that perspective isn’t needed or welcome.
Halloween is so refreshing. It’s not the rinse and repeat comic book “battles” that so many games are reduced to nowadays.

This is silly. Tournament players understand rules of the game better than anyone else. Making a well balanced game should be the desire of everyone because it means everything in the game is worth engaging with.

Think about the best rules in pinball. Who wrote and designed them? Competitive players like Lyman Sheats, Keith Elwin, Keith Johnson, Bowen Kerins, etc

#6036 1 year ago

I still don’t get why people are bashing on tournament players as if top tournament players aren’t the best rule designers in the industry.

They have a better understanding of what makes a game long term engaging or a boring slog more than anyone else. They study all games and know what makes a game a snooze or not. Just because they’re willing to exploit bad rules in a competition doesn’t mean they don’t know what they’re talking about when it comes to an engaging rule set. They have the deepest understanding of games that offer multiple paths to a rewarding experience, which is more than just showing some random video/audio clips in a game for the hundredth time. That’s a critical part, but so is the rush of a butt load of points.

And don’t get me wrong, there are some interesting ideas in the game. It just needs more polish and more things to utilize what the playfield has to offer.

But I’ve said my peace. Hope the best for Ultraman as I really want to like it because it does nail the quirky layout that I look for. (As an aside I’m posting in this thread because it’s the same basic game and this thread is more active)

#6043 1 year ago
Quoted from spooky_dj:

Designing the rules for a game is a balanced dance for sure. Tournament players definitely know their stuff; they know what makes pinball fun for pinball enthusiasts. And while in reality, tournament players make up a very small percentage of the customer base, the opinions/reviews of tournament players can greatly influence the opinions of the larger customer base. Furthermore, probably half of our customers are operators; they want machines that attract the general public, who probably frankly don't care as much about the fine details; they just want to see really fun and cool stuff happen under the glass.
So when designing the rules, we have to look at what are the really technical risk/reward aspects that tournament players can dig their teeth into. What are some distinct, different strategic pathways we can create. At the same time, on top of the technical gameplay, it has to be generally fun to shoot; we need to structure the flow of rules/gameplay to utilize all of the playfield, including flow shots, toys, stop-and-shoot, upper playfields, (lower playfields??), etc, so whether you care about the technical rules or not, you're still progressing, seeing fun new content, making satisfying advancements in your score, etc. And another level up, we have to have those 'intuitive' rules that allow the average barcade walk-up to shoot for the big flashing thing, and be rewarded with a really kickass lightshow/multiball/soundscape that's so damn fun, it's worth dropping more quarters to experience it again.
It really is like making three different rulesets, with different objectives, but they still have to tie into each other and mesh well.

I respect all this.

I don’t want to make it sound like it’s an easy line to walk. I just have some issue with some who want to discount the needs of some owners/players, especially when home ownership is a bigger part of the pie than ever before.

I think everyone can agree it’s a unique layout with a lot of potential that we all think is capable of providing rewarding experiences to users of all levels and types.

I don’t envy any designer in today’s market of multiple masters. We’re a fickle bunch to say the least.

4 months later
#9397 1 year ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I watched a really good doco on slot machines recently which went into the psychological triggers they put into games to keep people playing them even though they’re losing money.

Do you remember the name and where you saw it? I'm kinda curious to watch a documentary on slot machine design and the dopamine drip they try to perfect

#9428 1 year ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Sure thing ….

You should be able to track it down on line. It’s streaming free here on TVNZ (one of our TV networks)
rd

Thanks. Watched it online. Now I wanna go watch videos on slot machine audio design...

Also re hot flippers, it seems like that is a very short amount of time before fade sinks in. Perhaps the flipper mechs are binding a bit, making the coil work harder and heat up quicker.

1 month later
#11224 1 year ago
Quoted from Var1AbL3:

Spooky developed and entirely new frameworks unique to them to control their games, and that was a MAJOR undertaking. I think they deserve some benefit of the doubt.

Did they? I thought the Pinotaur was based on OPP and MPF. But maybe I'm mistaken.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Machine - For Sale
North Aurora, IL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Wilkes-barre, PA
$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Trade
Machine - For Trade
O'fallon, MO
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinned Out Mods

$ 63.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider treybo69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/halloween-owners-threadhes-coming-home?tu=treybo69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.