IMG_3589 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3590 (resized).jpeg
Cbl9jGwUcAEkjQk (resized).jpg
IMG_2793 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2800 (resized).jpeg
20240405_232130 (resized).JPG
IMG_1506 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

15 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2369 Upper playfield adjustment video. Posted by lpeters82 (2 years ago)

Post #3112 Upper playfield adjustment video Posted by spandol (2 years ago)

Post #3319 TECH: DISPLAY. LCD settings so blacks look better. Posted by manadams (2 years ago)

Post #3394 Stock LCD Display - alternate settings Posted by Mad_Dog_Coin_Op (2 years ago)

Post #4163 How to square a cabinet. Posted by rotordave (2 years ago)

Post #4472 Please Read - re order numbers and order of manufacture. Posted by rotordave (2 years ago)

Post #5620 Porting the cabinet to stop bass rattle Posted by rotordave (1 year ago)

Post #5659 Mudflaps Custom Cards #1 Posted by Mudflaps (1 year ago)

Post #5776 Mudflaps Apron Card bonanza! Posted by Mudflaps (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mstang01.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5923 1 year ago
Quoted from Bobbydevil:

Agreed. This game is awesome. Haven't heard one even slightly bad review from anyone that's played mine.

My Halloween was an impulse buy when my dealer was dropping off another game and then I was hesitant to unbox because there where no in-depth reviews (like sdtm) from someone with hands on a game and pinside reviews were all over the place. Finally took the kids to Pinball Palace in Brunswick to try it and we all liked it so out of the box it came

#5993 1 year ago

Is there a link for the 1.07 iso image? The one in the h78 Mac/windows restore instructions still points to the 1.06b file. The instructions for using the .pkg file seem different between the main support page and the restore instructions link.
The main page seems to tell you to copy the pkg file to the usb drive, link says to unpack the file and copy the contents.
Tried copying the pkg file whole to usb but machine just hangs at a black screen on power up. I didn’t hunt down something to unpack pkg file in windows so I just used the iso with Rufus for 1.06b but can’t find the same for 1.07.

#6159 1 year ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

It’s most likely getting a better powder coater. No fix for us who already have our pins other than 2k clear coat. After a few weeks mine is holding up nicely.

what is the issue requiring 2k? My powder coat seems really nice…

#6166 1 year ago
Quoted from Calfdemon:

I did it in shorts and short sleeves, but did wear gloves and a respirator. I had zero irritation on my skin from the 2k, although, it is always better to be covered. But definitely spray it outdoors and wear a respirator. I sprayed it on the side of my house and when I went to the garage and took the respirator off a couple minutes later, it was still very potent. I can only imagine how strong the fumes are while spraying it.
On a side note, make sure you read the directions on the 2K and pop the button on the bottom of the can before you use it to mix the 2 stage products. I missed that and sprayed my first coat without activating it. I realized my mistake after the first coat was still wet and then applied the 2nd coat immediately which got the 2nd stage mixed in. Everything worked out well and dried very nicely. I think I put a total of about 4 coats on total. I used the entire can since once you activate it, it only has a 36-48 hour shelf life. No point saving any in the can.

The danger with 2k is it contains cyanide (isocyanates) so recommended is really an air fed breathing apparatus not just a filter. Causes asthma in a lot of body shop workers I guess…

#6188 1 year ago

I was going crazy trying to figure out what targets to shoot in sanitarium mode when I finally watched a video and realized my sanitarium lights don’t light (nothing from 114 up light during light test including lower 32 playfield leds). Quick sanity check… these should be working right?

#6189 1 year ago
Quoted from mstang01:

I was going crazy trying to figure out what targets to shoot in sanitarium mode when I finally watched a video and realized my sanitarium lights don’t light (nothing from 114 up light during light test including lower 32 playfield leds). Quick sanity check… these should be working right?

Ughhh, I think I just answered my own question looks like the header got pulled off the board traces and all during install…

95820669-84D4-4775-8444-79A6B63A2FB6 (resized).jpeg95820669-84D4-4775-8444-79A6B63A2FB6 (resized).jpeg
#6190 1 year ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

Slide knife into slot in top of backbox and slide the black disc onto the topper shaft and tighten to the flat spot on the topper shaft using a .050 Allen wrench. The other parts shown are just backups for playfield items.

Thanks for that Allen size. My blade fell off and I thought it was missing the set screw but it’s just really tiny

#6191 1 year ago
Quoted from Completist:

Didn’t have the energy to move 5 pins to put Halloween in the correct spot in the Spooky row (kinda anal bout chronological order alignment lol). But i did get it moved down to the game room and on its feet.
Played one game to see if there were any obvious issues. Nothing i could find so still batting 1000 with my Spooky’s it seems. Wait, i did not confirm if the nut on the coin door was tight AF yet
So i obviously cannot rate gameplay on three relatively short balls. But i can say its a beautiful pin. I can also say that i’m a fan of the inlane lifters. I didn’t expect those to tie into the theme so well even knowing it was going to happen. And the knife along the shooter lane - rather the mirror effect. that is also well done. Just the “wtf was that” out of the corner of my eye when the ball was reflected in it. Intentional or not it kinda adds to that jump-scare-esque vibe haha.
I have purposely not watch any gameplay video yet which means i have no clue what i’m doing. I will catch up with that soon but the first gameplay is all part of my unboxing experience. [quoted image][quoted image]

Those lifters are great with this theme, the ball can really sneak up on you. The orbits etc are similar, so smooth and quiet the ball surprises you a lot.

#6195 1 year ago

That’s over kill. Unless your using it everyday, being outside or in a well ventilated area you are fine. Don’t spread disinformation on something you are ignorant on.
2k does not say you need a air fed breathing apparatus. Majority of people are not working in a body shop spraying clear coat everyday in a body shop in a sealed room. Hence why directions say wear a respirator and spray in a well ventilated area.

It is probably overkill for someone doing a small job outside but it wasn’t really disinformation: https://www.hse.gov.uk/mvr/bodyshop/myths/myth3.htm

I do realize they are talking about body shops and I said so. I thought about going farther to say “outside with an infrequent small job you probably don’t have to worry much” but I figure thats more of a judgement call that you can make when you have the facts. I had bought 2k with plans to clear coat a cabinet outside with a respirator, but now my lungs are pretty screwed up so I probably won’t chance it (covid not isocyanates, lol)

The main take away is this isn’t normal spray paint, understand what your working with and be careful.

#6197 1 year ago
Quoted from dnaman:

That is exactly what was wrong with Aurium's when he got his. He had been playing like that for a week or more. There is a spare in the coinbox but it is a bit of a job to replace it. I did use this opportunity to reposition the LED pcb so that the harness was not so impacted by the limited spacing above the stainless ballguide/rail.

Oh! Really glad you said that. From the side I though it was a much bigger board, I didn’t realize that was what came in the coin box… now to get to it might be a nightmare. Any tips on how to get to it?

#6209 1 year ago

#6210 1 year ago
Quoted from jk2171:

I had to do this as well. Easiest to loosen the sanitarium playfield and tilt it back once loose.

I got lucky and was able to replace it without moving the sanitarium with a really small ratchet.

#6247 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Take it out of that damn heavy pallet/box!

Lol, I was going to say half the weight is in the insanely sturdy pallet they use!

#6330 1 year ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

How do I fix it now?

Download the iso file and use Rufus to reimage the usb drive.

#6341 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Well I disagree, for me having a company that embraces innovation and unique layouts is refreshing. I grow tired of the good old reliable Sterns and Chicago Gaming games, etc. with rehashed layouts. I have come to realize that making pinball machines is a very difficult task while trying to make it profitable at the same time. Is any machine really perfect? Look at the most recent Stern debacle with the RUSH scoops. Did they do any testing at all? This issue came up within 50 plays and they did not catch it? Funny thing is they still have not really fixed it well and it has made me think twice about owning the title. Every company has issues and I have accepted it as part of the intricate manufacturing process.
Am I concerned about the powder rubbing off-no if it does I will get it re-powdered for $150(no biggie and looks fine)
Am I concerned about a coil burning out or a fuse blowing-no Spooky has fantastic service and I know help is there if needed. Long story short is do not psych yourself out listening to negative comments. Tons of people have had a fantastic experience with zero issues. I have had no issues with mine and I am playing the heck out of it(also got lucky with my Led Zeppelin-while others had tons of issues). There are a couple software glitches but I have accepted it and they will continue to get corrected as the code matures. Overall am I happy with my purchase? Absolutely, this game is unique and fun which to me is worth every penny. I recommend getting the game and experiencing it for yourself. If you do not care for it then you can sell it-why sell now at a loss vs later(actually will probably go up in years after production ends)? At least get the experience of owning it in person and judging for yourself. Halloween is a true gem

I would say if you look at any owners thread you see problems… that’s a lot of what owners threads are for, asking questions and seeking answers. I’ve accumulated 11 new/used pins in the past 6 months (3 are still in boxes because I ran out of room but some problems should be expected and between the forums and the vendors things have gotten resolved and I can’t complain (I’ve had tickets with Stern-cpu, JJP-wiring, and Spooky and had great support). Out of my lineup including Godzilla, wonka, JP, etc. Halloween is my go-to game right now. I’m not a good player so it can be brutal but the objectives are clear and fun and I have finished most of them (unfortunately not in the same game, lol). I find it similar to Stranger Things and The Shadow in having clear objectives that aren’t too repetitive, fast pace, high risk shots and potentially brutal bounce off targets. Just need to dial mine in a bit because I’m only making the lower hedge and right orbit by accident right now

#6367 1 year ago
Quoted from John_C:

Has anyone noticed an issue with hitting the skill shot? Not sure if I discovered a bug in the new code or what, but my machine is not allowing the skill shot.
At the beginning of each ball, I am able to select my skill shot and launch the ball. But once the ball clears the orbit, if I hit either of the flippers (before even receiving the ball), I'll hear the "monkey" sound and the center bank of drop targets all go red (indicating the skill shot was missed). Again, this all happens before I've even get the ball.
I only started seeing this issue after going to 1.07 of the code. I haven't tried rolling back to 1.06 to see if the issue disappears.
Anyone else?

I’ve seen it act like that but I also know I’ve gotten that skill shot a few times since the upgrade… not sure if it was on a short plunge. Also don’t know if I clipped something on a full plunge that scored no points but made the drops turn red.

#6390 1 year ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Has anybody dialed in the Pumpkin scoop good yet? I get 90 percent rejects when shooting directly at it to the point I just aim for the ramp to upper play field and let it drain into the pumpkin. Is replacing the plate make the difference?
I also want to order new sprigs for the drop targets. I get lots of direct hit bounce backs. I saw the post on the springs already.

The pumpkin on mine is a very easy backhand from the cradled right flipper. Very hard to sink it from the left flipper.

#6397 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

One thing I would like to see is the option to adjust the voice call-out & sound effects with different level volume options. I really want to emphasize the sound effects during certain modes while keeping the call-outs at a normal decibel level. Some great sound effects in this game and I want to crank it up but the volume balance is not there to do so. Stern has done this and it really transforms the game with being able to customize. Also Stern adding the equalizer option really helps with adjusting and fine tuning the sound levels. Halloween is not like a rock and roll pin where you crank it up but some of the sound effects amplified would take this game even further. I also like the idea someone came up with for a 'black out mode'. Game goes dark and maybe each shot hit lights up a certain portion of the playfield to capture Michael? Game comes back to life?

Not sure if it’s normal but my game’s callout are insanely loud ( I have to turn the volume down to like 2 or three bars to tolerate it). Music is very quiet, but the noise when a ball is saved is also really loud compared to other sound effects. I haven’t seen anyone mention it so I was guessing the amp settings on mine are just turned too high but I keep forgetting to look when I’ve had the playfield up (can’t see the knobs from the coin door). It would be nice to be able to adjust music, callout, and sound effects volume attenuation through menu options.

#6469 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Do the butter cabs come wrapped in blankets? That's interesting
I have been watching people getting their machines and I actually think Spooky's choice for wrapping the machines could use some improvements going forward. When my machine arrived it had a big hole in it and a strap missing. I started to see a pattern looking at people's boxes arriving with a hole in same location. My conclusion: the cardboard substrate they used is too thin and the strap could be upgraded-may try an embossed .035+ poly or HD steel. Shippers or handlers are probably sliding the machines around grabbing the strap and ripping a hole in the box at the same time. I inspected mine for damage and it was all good, but I do see an issue. Shipping with Fed Ex, R & L, etc. is like playing Russian roulette nowadays. The way they handle freight is scary.
-ps post a pic of your full size stand up Michael-looks cool

Yeah, the cardboard was only bad part of my packing. The box is pretty flimsy and was getting beat up just moving it around. Everything else was pretty solid (didn’t notice the straps) machine was well protected inside.

#6470 1 year ago
Quoted from mstang01:

Yeah, the cardboard was only bad part of my packing. The box is pretty flimsy and was getting beat up just moving it around. Everything else was pretty solid (didn’t notice the straps) machine was well protected inside.

Might just seem flimsy because the bottom is separate from the top/sides letting it slide around some…

#6543 1 year ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I fixed the broken lamp under the Sanitarium playfield for the fourth time. Super frustrating. The switch is directly in the path of the shooter lane. It takes a beating and eventually fails, knocking out the lower LED strip and a few inserts.
I tried to reroute the hole to relocate the switch, but removing the Sanitarium playfield requires major surgery. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Seems like this needs a plastic shield, mines only broke once so far…

#6546 1 year ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Can anyone tell/show me how exactly the knife attaches to the motor? It seems as if it should just slide on but it doesn’t. I’m missing something here lol

Depends what fell off on yours. There is a circular metal part that should be attached to the knife. It has two tiny (.05) hard to see Allen head set screws on it that you use to tighten to the motor shaft once you slide it on

#6570 1 year ago

That’s MY daughter and if you can paint it yourself go right ahead. She makes the house look so much better. The price for $75 includes painting the pumpkin vine also and that includes return shipping. Makes the house not look like a 3D plastic toy with no depth.
So glad you felt the need to mention my daughter. For the price for her skill set its more than fair. Hire an artist to do custom painting for you on the cheap. It’s not like 3D printing something and actually requires some God given skill. [quoted image][quoted image]

I think her work looks great, I was hoping to send her my house when I get it. She should see what she could do with the glove in AIQ

#6638 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I set up my CE today and it plays great right out of the box. So far, so good. No stuck balls or adjustments, yet. My topper wasn’t connected, the hand and knife wasn’t connected to the motor. I slid the hand/knife mech onto the motor drive shaft and it seems to work fine. Is there supposed to be something keeping that in place?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Two tiny .05 Allen set screws, it will keep falling off if you don’t tighten them.

#6640 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Thanks. Are these attached, or did they fall off and vanish? Maybe someone can post a pic of the screws. Thx!

They should be attached but they are so small I didn’t realize they were in the holes until someone posted that size and I found the right wrench

#6670 1 year ago
Quoted from Geeterman1:

I find the Loomis voice to be fine, the kid voice on the other hand…. Not that it’s off, just annoying lol. “Get back out there buddy!” This is hardly a deal breaker, though.
I actually love some of the Loomis voice lines. “HE WAS DOING SO WELL LAST NIGHT!”

I didn’t think it was a kid (other than the “you’re not supposed to go up there” line), I thought it was a pj soles voice… the callouts are cheesy but the movie dialog was cheesy too so I don’t mind them (maybe just need more variety). I do wish the volumes for music/callouts/effect could be attenuated separately in menus.

3 weeks later
#7136 1 year ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Just went through the 1.08 read me.
They are listening and have addressed many reported issues and complaints.

One of my main complaints (to myself in my basement) was having to flipper through to the big skill shot on every plunge. Most of the time I just didn’t bother. I was really happy they coded in a save of the last skill shot selection!

#7194 1 year ago

There must be an exploit of bug in the new code, my 7 year old nephew just scored 4 billion when we weren’t paying attention… I’ve only made it to 20 million

EE1FED6B-2362-4BA1-AB62-770C77B8C7EF (resized).jpegEE1FED6B-2362-4BA1-AB62-770C77B8C7EF (resized).jpeg
#7197 1 year ago
Quoted from BWT67:

Your nephew doesn't look like the kid in the middle, does he? If thats the case, maybe you just break his fingers.[quoted image]

Lol, no he’s typically got 4 players started because he can’t figure out the start button

1 week later
#7410 1 year ago

Sanitarium/bottom led strip knocked out again. This really could use a little plastic shield to keep the ball away from that connection… if someone makes one I’ll buy it

1 month later
#8199 1 year ago
Quoted from theadicts77:

Yeah, that's an incredibly bad take and some seriously flawed logic. I own a plethora of things I couldn't fix/restore if my life depended on it. But I don't have to as there are specialists out there that are way more competent than I am when it comes to those items. If I bought a brand new TV that's not working, you'd expect me to fix it rather than the manufacturer? Come on.
To say 'well you should not own one then' is just rude and pretty stupid. The point was: If the game is broken out of the factory and can't be easily fixed, the manufacturer should absolutely cover the $600 tech fee. There's not a single reason the customer should pay that.

Comparisons of pinball ownership to mass produced consumer electronics is not fair. A very small percentage of people work on their own consumer electronic, a very large percentage of people work on their own pinball machines, it’s not only a part of the hobby but almost a necessity. The real argument is should a manufacturer pay for labor/shipping/etc for out of box failures. I’ve never actually read the terms of sale or warranty for my stern/jjp/spooky games so I’m not really sure but if someone’s having these problems I’d say read your warranty and terms of sale and see what the manufacturer is liable for. My guess is they’ve all only agreed to cover parts under the warranty term…

#8368 1 year ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I received my NIB Halloween the other day and whatever Spooky is applying now to combat this is rough and dull. The tactile feel is pretty bad. The legs and speaker panel feel fine. It's just the lock bar and I think the side rails as well. Even if I knew it wasn't going to wear off I'd still redo it. It's that bad.
I have not powered on my game yet. Some issues need addressing. My pin says "inspected by bug", but it has a non-functioning shooter rod with a broken outer spring. So, not sure how anyone was able to play test it, but I do see some faint ball trails which indicates it was played. The topper hand/knife assembly had fallen off the motor shaft, with set screws missing. The living room plastic on the upper playfield was broken and in the bottom on the cabinet. Some screws on the bottom of the cabinet. Halloween apron sticker appied crooked. Right side inner cabinet decal scratched. Also, difficult to raise/lower the playfield as the support rails do not clear the lock bar receiver. I've never seen rauls mounted so far forward and I can't mount them further back due to obstructions. The left support rail is pressed and a little stressed against the coin box in the down position, so I'll probably just remove the coin box.
That's all the issues I have observed so far. I'll repost back once I power up and attempt to play it. How they miss all this stuff is beyond me. I noticed it all in 5 minutes. Either many steps are missed during inspection over there, or they have very loose standards. It's a weird love/hate thing I have with this company.
Oh, and to avoid coming off completely negative, the playfield and cabinet look nice. The playfield has a nice finish and the they finally figured out how to cut clean edges on the cabinet decals, not all jagged like on my Alice Copper.

The set screw for your topper may not be missing. I thought mine was but it’s just a really tiny Allen (.05 I believe).

2 weeks later
#9024 1 year ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Godzilla is way overrated.

I don’t know if it’s overrated, but all of the times I’ve had non-pinball people over they do not gravitate to it (or jp surprisingly) it always seems to be turtles, wonka, Halloween, Elvira, STh. I’m guessing now that I set up Rush it will be popular too (great game) but it’s hard to guess. Personally I spend most of my time on STh, Halloween, Imdn, Beatles, and now Rush…

1 month later
#10751 1 year ago

Is Jack-o-lantern multi ball where Don’t fear the reaper plays? I was wondering if it was really in the game but now I see why I’ve never heard it… sad to bury such a good song so deep I may never hear it

#10759 1 year ago
Quoted from Geeterman1:

Yea, that’s it. You have to start and end (don’t need to complete them) 3 different pumpkin modes.

Oh, that’s not as bad as I thought. I thought I read you had to complete all the pumpkin modes which would have been too tough.

7 months later
#14504 10 months ago

Anyone have an issue with bad servos causing the servo fuse to blow? My game has been down for an embarrassing amount of time (about a year) because I hadn’t felt like digging into it. I thought just my elevators were out but as soon as I started troubleshooting today I found all servos were out. Found the servo fuse blown. Didn’t have a 3A fast blow but against better judgment put a 3A slo-blow in to test and saw a little smoke escaping from the first hedge. Waiting on some fast-blow fuses, figure I’ll try with the first hedge servo disconnected and go from there…

1 week later
#14744 10 months ago
Quoted from SLRage:

So…Can anyone help? All my servos have lost power. Any clues?

Had the same happen a while back and just fixed recently. Servo fuse has probably blown (3A fast-blow). A failed servo most likely caused it though so get a bunch to use while troubleshooting.

#14749 10 months ago
Quoted from SLRage:

I ordered the correct fuse.
I had to manually crank the subway mech up to release the ball on both sides so I know they will be “out of wack” when I put in the new fuse.
Anyone know how to make sure I have them in the correct position before I fire her back up with the new fuse?

Lol, fought that too mine fell out into the cabinet. Had to use trial and error but you can only move them when powered off. I gauged by the position when the gears first engaged when rotating. I think I ended up about 5 or six notches below the bottom of the unit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinned Out Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Gilbert, AZ
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
North Aurora, IL
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 49.99
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Monson, MA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mstang01.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/halloween-owners-threadhes-coming-home?tu=mstang01 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.