IMG_3589 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3590 (resized).jpeg
Cbl9jGwUcAEkjQk (resized).jpg
IMG_2793 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2800 (resized).jpeg
20240405_232130 (resized).JPG
IMG_1506 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

15 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2369 Upper playfield adjustment video. Posted by lpeters82 (2 years ago)

Post #3112 Upper playfield adjustment video Posted by spandol (2 years ago)

Post #3319 TECH: DISPLAY. LCD settings so blacks look better. Posted by manadams (2 years ago)

Post #3394 Stock LCD Display - alternate settings Posted by Mad_Dog_Coin_Op (2 years ago)

Post #4163 How to square a cabinet. Posted by rotordave (2 years ago)

Post #4472 Please Read - re order numbers and order of manufacture. Posted by rotordave (2 years ago)

Post #5620 Porting the cabinet to stop bass rattle Posted by rotordave (1 year ago)

Post #5659 Mudflaps Custom Cards #1 Posted by Mudflaps (1 year ago)

Post #5776 Mudflaps Apron Card bonanza! Posted by Mudflaps (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mpdpvdpin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

585 posts in this topic match your search for posts by mpdpvdpin. You are on page 1 of 3.
#185 2 years ago

#690 here (noice)…patiently waiting. Godzilla will be here next week and will keep me occupied till HE COMES HOME.

#224 2 years ago

Store opens: “See anything you like?” Perfect use for that.

Quoted from dnapac:

On the new code, with the store. Loomis says “Mystery is Lit”. And when you hit the jack-o-lantern you get to use your blood drops. I know pinballs usually have a mystery…but maybe Loomis should say something like “The store is open”. Any thoughts?

#232 2 years ago

HODL. Game of the year.

C352E5D3-7FF2-45F3-8E5B-266426ACD73E (resized).jpegC352E5D3-7FF2-45F3-8E5B-266426ACD73E (resized).jpeg
#304 2 years ago

Is 8x10x20ft too big for a topper? This is kind of amazing. Maybe I’ll buy it to put in front of the restaurant when my HWN arrives.

83439E31-C381-4E2D-BB92-CD3A9C496407 (resized).png83439E31-C381-4E2D-BB92-CD3A9C496407 (resized).png
1 week later
#440 2 years ago

Bass frequencies are non directional so a ported cabinet is not crucial. A speaker in closed non ported cabinet will have the effect of a limiter which would give the bass frequencies a punchier quality. As long as there is air in the cabinet and it doesn’t make the glass rattle I don’t see a prob with this design.

#491 2 years ago

EXACTLY this.

Quoted from lpeters82:

I don't think it has much to do with the game itself. Too many people bought the game to turn a quick profit. So many infact, they are currently undercutting themselves so there is zero profit. Eventually the games will be in the hands of those that actually want them and the market will stabilize.

#511 2 years ago

I predict prices go over deposit amount as time moves on and code matures. Maybe not as high as RaM spots but this game will become more and more desirable as Spooky works their magic. People just aren’t willing to hop in now, past fomo stage and as the game currently sits but that will change when the code becomes fleshed out.

Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

I think it has some merit…several higher # spots $500 under and sitting…I remember a few weeks ago seeing #209 listed and thinking to myself that it would sell quick as that’s a good number…but it’s still sitting @$2000..I predict half off spots in the months to come.
I mean just imagine if this were rob zombie era Spooky with refundable deposits.
But I’m all in and happy to support Spooky…and never buy pins with money you need kids!!

#514 2 years ago

Approx 75

Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

How many Halloween have shipped so far?

#518 2 years ago

I was including UM…I’ve been batching them together in my mind haha

Quoted from kciaccio:

75 is probably high on delivered unless you are including UM.
I am #61 and it delivers tomorrow.
And that first stream with Jack was in my eyes not even first code. That was barely playable code.
This second code which is still crazy early shows us the potential of this machine.
I remember the Elvira HOH first streamed. People didn't like it at first with the pop bumpers doing pool floaties pop-ups on the screen and such.
If Spooky stays on the code this game should be great.
I shot a UM game at Pinball life ignoring theme and focused on just flow and it's Spooky's best by far and tomorrow night I can't wait to put a couple hours on the machine.

#622 2 years ago

Shipping logistics is a nightmare these days. Drivers are in short supply, gas is through the roof etc etc.

Quoted from PinBall-Newbie:

I just received an e-mail from Spooky saying that mine would not be out for delivery until next week. I'm number #70 by the way. This is after receiving e-mails 2 weeks ago that it would ship last week or either this week. Not sure how #80 is hipped out before #70?

#623 2 years ago

I can’t believe these undervalued spots are still for sale considering an early NIB HWN CE just sold for $15k (confirmed)

#627 2 years ago

It’s been confirmed in the hype thread. Guy who bought it chimed in. Anyway, I think the value will increase after the next few updates and surprised that some people are taking losses on their spot.

Quoted from JSC:

I haven’t had a single inquiry since like the first day or so that I posted and I have an early spot that I’m offering at a small loss. I have trouble believing it sold for 15k. That is a massive premium for getting it a few weeks earlier.

#635 2 years ago

My point is not that you should attempt to make a profit it just makes the game look less desirable to have multiple spots listed for under deposit value and guys like Kaneda take screen shots of that and go “seeeee? This game is a piece of shit and no one wants it” which he has done on two separate occasions…if only to intentionally boost the value of his UM.

Quoted from JSC:

I didn’t buy the spot with the intent to profit…I would rather take a small loss now and just be able to transfer the spot then having to deal with shipping, ect. I would guess many others feel the same way. There just wasn’t much of an opportunity to see the game before having to commit to the preorder.

#654 2 years ago

Completely scrub your usb stick and do it again .

Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Hey can somebody give me a hand.
Game is stuck after trying updating the code.
It asked me to restart and after that is a black screen that says ‘welcome to pinix’ and it resets constantly showing the same text.
I removed the usb before restarting.

#676 2 years ago

Check the wiring / soldering on that drop. Seems like an intermittent connection issue.

Quoted from icyjones:

And then I am having these weird issues with the drop down targets on each upper playfield, where they just pop up and down over and over. The sanitarium one, keeps the ball from popping up, and I have to reset the game. The top playfield one will eventually stop on its own.

#751 2 years ago

Interesting, At reveal I was concerned with the rules / code and I was assured by both Bug and Charlie (in these forums) that you were on board as a consultant. This led me to believe that you would have had more involvement outside of an initial review and some one time early notes. I based my purchase of a CE on these assurances and I honestly feel a bit misled. That being said, the game looks great…it’s progressing…and, I just hope Fawzma stays fully engaged and takes the code into the stratosphere.

Quoted from bkerins:

To clarify two things: first, the description of R&M is just about right on. Eric, besides writing 100% of the code, worked very closely with me and wrote many of the rules. He is outstanding, detail-oriented, fast, accurate, and he knows how to make pinball fun. Eric is a huge reason why Rick & Morty is a great pinball machine.
Second, I no longer work with Spooky Pinball. The first time I saw the layout, the art, and the rules for Halloween and Ultraman was the first time you saw it, publicly. After it was revealed, I gave Spooky some advice on what they could or should do with these games, based on video. I have not played either game at all, and I have not seen my suggestions implemented.
What they do with my advice is entirely their decision. I am not involved in any way. That is not what I would have preferred, but that is what they chose.
I will always root for Spooky to succeed, and I am grateful for the opportunity that Charlie and the rest of the Spooky team gave me to work with them on Alice Cooper and Rick & Morty.

#757 2 years ago

Not sure what exactly the deal is, it’s not the end of the world but Bowen being involved, even if on the sidelines instilled a bit of confidence in myself and others that the game had a consummate rule nerd looking out for us deep divers.

I attribute the new code bricking to rushing it for a Halloween release…may have not been fully ready to roll out.

Quoted from Frax:

Sounds like they kind of reached a "crap or get off the pot" moment. They need to be able to design and code these games with their in-house guys, and not be reliant on external (possibly unpaid) members of the community. There's potential legal issues there as well, and it may have been a condition of one or both license holders not wanting someone not on the payroll being involved. This isn't necessarily the end of the world, or even a BAD decision necessarily, but like someone stated above, it does raise a few questions, especially given that some people feel that ACNC was left unfinished (and I don't keep up with ACNC stuff, I've just seen it mentioned here and there).
I think if anyone is or was expecting Lyman level code where there's such ridiculously arcane things (such as knowing the release order of AC/DC's albums) to affect scoring....they were going to be disappointed no matter what it ends up being. Lyman is a freak of nature (in the best way possible!), plain and simple. Personally, for me, I'm cool with the more "basic" code archetypes of like AFM/MM/Stranger Things, but these games already look like they're trying to be more complicated than that. As long as the modes make you shoot varied shots and aren't too easy to complete (strict timers, wide shot variation making you shoot specific shots in a sequence, or create specific combos), I'll be happy. Let's be honest here...... it's pretty hard to innovate in pinball rules. Most games that aren't Lyman games follow some long-running patterns, and even on Lyman games the "exception to the rule" part is frequently limited to scoring for the wizard modes. Metallica was an awesome game, but very little there that I would say was "innovated" aside from Crank-it-Up modes and their contribution to scoring.
That updates keep bricking the games to the point that you have to go to support is far more concerning to me than the current state of the code.

#764 2 years ago

We figured as much, lol.

Quoted from RebelGuitars:

I updated mine with no problems.

#823 2 years ago

Fair assessment, I do think the game is coming along nicely and I agree that it’s foolish to dump a spot because Bowen is not consulting and even more foolish to sell a spot because of early code. I personally bought the game because I like the genre/theme, the artwork is incredible, the layout is unique and looks to shoot well, and Spooky is passionate and wants to put out the best game they can. The Bowen consulting to me felt like a nice safety net. I’m sure we’ll find out what happened with that but yeah, it is most certainly not the end of the world.

Quoted from Cheeks:

Like most things, I see both sides of this coin, and I don't think we know enough to judge either one...
Bowen is a great player, but do any of us know how good he is at writing rules? I honestly don't know where Bowen ended and Eric began with R&M rules. I think Bowen was always "contributor" to rules, not the sole/primary rules guy, but I could be wrong. To me his involvement would definitely help HWN/UM as tournament games, but I honestly don't know if he himself is responsible for making fun rules the way we think of Lyman, Elwin, etc.
That said, to suggest that HWN/UM will turn out amazing because Spooky will pour their heart into it doesn't make sense either. Sure they're passionate, but are the current rules guys any good at it? For better or worse, we don't know. If you hired me as your art director, I could try harder than anyone in the world, and operate every moment with passion out the ass, but it doesn't mean I could will the game into looking better than a kindergartener. That's not where my talents are, and we don't know yet whether Spooky's talents are in the rules dept. now either.
To suggest that this game has to be good because it's the same company that made R&M is like saying Munsters and <insert Elwin game> have to both be amazing because Stern made them both. Same company, different employees, different skills, different results.
Are concern and questions appropriate? Yes
Do I wish Bowen were still involved? Yes
Are people over-reacting by dumping their games upon the Bowen news? Absolutely
As much as everything with Spooky code feels like amateur hour at the moment (bricking machines, video-clip-gate, "Bowen consulting on rules" but not really, etc.) you need to settle in for the long haul on any Spooky game before you know where you'll land. There's enough red flags with the personnel on this one to suggest it's more likely to end up like RZ than R&M, but I'm not pushing the panic button yet, and nobody else should be either. Guarded optimism or hopeful concern would make sense, but we all know Pinside doesn't operate like that. So I guess that means the sky is falling.

#826 2 years ago

I’m not sure it can be considered “whining” to expect companies to keep their word or inform their customers who have paid deposits. This is rare for Spooky as they are the most honest and upfront of all of the pin manufacturers. I’m sure something happened or choices were made but…I’m definitely interested as to why Bowen is not consulting any longer.

Quoted from Frax:

Exactly, nobody knows and it's not really fair to assume that this happened under negative circumstances. If they want to tell the story, they will, but they shouldn't feel OBLIGATED to do so over a bunch of whinging.

#858 2 years ago

This guy is TOUGH, I wouldn’t provoke him. He won’t abide by the reasonable concerns of others. No way.

Quoted from metallik:

I did, and got assurances privately from Charlie that Bowen would be consulting on rules
You got some kind of problem?

#862 2 years ago

No one ever claimed that the ONLY reason they bought the game was because of Bowen dude, c’mon. That’s ridiculous.

Quoted from Magicchiz:

Sounds like a bunch of people with Buyers remorse. Most likely don't have the money to afford the game. They are looking for a excuse to bail and bitch about something.
I can tell someone what I think would be great in the game. Thus consulting, but if they don't want to use my idea. Its their game. I still call BS on anyone buying the game just because you thought Bowen was going to do rules.
The game and shots are good. the sound are great. Let them finish the game and make your judgement. You don't like it. Give up your deposit and never deal with it again. At least you didn't lose out as much money like the Raza, magic girl, predator.

#949 2 years ago

I don’t recall anyone ever saying anything “nasty”. Pinball absolutely needs new blood, the game is looking better every day and I hope they knock it out of the part. For me this was just a matter of saying one thing and doing another without transparency. I still have my CE spot and I don’t plan on selling.

#969 2 years ago

One thing I find funny: There is actually no blood in the entire Halloween’78 film. Yet, we’ve got blood targets, blood inserts…a blood bank. Blood blood blood. It’s cool tho, jussayin’

#1114 2 years ago

Great to hear you’re feedback as you seem like a reasonable dude who had legitimate concerns about the game. Hope some early owners take the time to rate the game on pinside as well. Could almost just copy and paste this. Might be very useful to someone considering buying HWN or UM

Quoted from John-Floyd:

It’s a long one so here we go:
After playing it all afternoon, I gotta say this game is a fun one! Much faster than I expected and the subways (which were a huge concern) aren’t that bad at all. Maybe a tad slow from the pumpkin, but overall does not sour my opinion. Hoping they will stage balls down the road or something. It’s something different which is especially cool if you have multiple games in your lineup as I like variety. The left side was also a concern, but it isn’t bad. Do wish there was a tad more variety on that side or that maybe the middle hedge shot the ball back out or something, but it is what it is. Ramps are fairly easy to hit and the center ramp is a lot steeper. My screws do stick out and look shoddy, so I’m hoping to get an upgraded ramp that Luke mentioned above. Definitely can see those chipping away at the ball. Slings are fast and tight which I like and the flippers are very Stern-like. Fast and snappy which is awesome! The orbits are fast as hell as well as the 180 ramp to Sanatarium. Both of the mini playfields play great and are a lot of fun. Have had my ball stuck in the bottom right of the sanatarium between the post and rubber so I need to address that somehow.
As for cosmetics, the game is F’n stunning! The bare LED’s look great - and aren’t blinding at all. I see no reason why anyone would want to turn them down. Looking forward to seeing the light shows develop as we progress. Very cool possibility’s here. My #78 does have the hedge multiball insert “debatable” lighting style. It looks like the artwork is intended so as the insert is going behind the hedge so think what you will of that. Doesn’t bother me one bit and all the whining seems quite overblown when you are actually standing in front of the machine. If I must question something I guess it would be the lighting insert shape for the pumpkin nose - a hexagon cutout for a triangle nose does look kinda odd. Petty concern like the above I know, and that can easily be fixed by 3D printing a triangle within a hex plug. minor and I mean minor stuff here…. Decals are vibrant and look outstanding and I love the artwork. Backglass is vibrant and does have a little up close sparkle to it which is nice. Would have gone butter to complete the package if it were cheaper but I couldn’t justify $1K for it (pinball budget is blown as I also picked up a GNR LE this week (which is also badass))
Love the Gold Vein powdercoating, and also eagerly awaiting the knife handle shooter - will be a great touch. Also gotta mention the pumpkin side rails and lit speakers look badass. The whole package is stellar. Sounds good too as I believe this game has a bigger cab speaker. May add a klipsch 12”sub down the road too.
Perhaps I am biased since I love the original Halloween so much. To really love this game you gotta love the original film or else you just won’t “get it”.
This game will shine as the code progresses. There is so much that they will be adding that it will be a blast to see how this game progresses. Definitely Hoping for more modes. I’ll be enjoying the ride in this one as it matures.
***Would like to know how to put more than 3 initials in my high scores - can’t find that option in the menu.
I had my concerns, but those have all gone away. Different style game no doubt but I like it and to have #78 is the perfect icing in the cake. For me, it’s a keeper and Not going anywhere. Great Job Spooky!

#1179 2 years ago

If that email is not:

[email protected]

Then…we’ll, that’s a failed opportunity.

Quoted from SpookyLuke:

I think a valuable lesson Bug and myself learned is how important getting information to the customers is. I think that we believed most people would wait to play it and see how it progresses to decide. However an early negative review or podcast can really go a long way toward making customers nervous. Many times these reviews are simply mislead or speculation. I think when we complete this flow chart and show how cool the code plan for the game is that will put many minds at ease. I even saw one comment that the game "only had 6 modes of different difficulty". He had no idea there were 4 other main modes aleady in plus a couple side modes with more coming. 2 wizard modes coming with a really cool game long strategy that ties into each or the blood collection system with a strategic reward store. That is entirely on us and we will do a better job of making sure we get that information out there. I think this latest code is actually really solid for this early on and it can become something special for sure. Lesson learned and we will continue to improve and be proactive with these things I'm the future. We have already hired a 2nd full time programmer and it's one of our main company goals to get farther ahead on code and designs in the future. We will be investing in that.

Quoted from SpookyBug:

Howdy everyone! Thank you for all the patience and kind words on the code direction and rules. We definitely still have a long way to go on both!
First off, working on a really cool code direction flow chart that I'm really excited for everyone to see.
Secondly, to help me keep track of what the most pressing code bug issues are, please feel free to send any and all of your bug reports to my private inbox here on Pinside! (Yes I realize what I just got myself into). We're also in talks of creating a specific bug report email as well. But I figure we'd start here!
Thanks to everyone who came and hung out with us at MGC, it was a blast!

#1282 2 years ago

There needs to be much more to this game, honestly. Good players will blow through this ruleset in 15/ 20 mins. We need some mini wiz modes / super wizard mode / victory laps modes / side quests and even more regular modes in general.

Also…midnight slasher movie pins scream for a midnight madness mode!!! Midnight Massacre!!!

Quoted from Mudflaps:

Rules flowchart is up. Code is still 1.02. Maybe tomorrow…
https://new.spookypinball.com/game-support/

#1288 2 years ago

I guess I don’t view Jack o lantern multi as a mini wiz as completing three modes is not really an incredible feat. ‘Boogeyman’ and ‘the night he comes home’ may suffice if the modes are well coded and require completion to light victory laps on both and qualify a final super wizard mode. Additional early modes would be excellent as well. That way you can have more variety in how you get to the end of the game. I have to say i also wish that the player would either play as MM OR a potential victim and not both. Aiding MM as well as his victims pulls you out of the suspense of the game imo.

Quoted from Jediturtle:

I see two mini-wizard modes (Jack-O-Lantern multiball and The Night He Came Home) and a main wizard mode (Boogeyman). I'd of course love more, but that's not bad.

#1296 2 years ago

Thoughts on how to expand the ruleset.

+’schoolyard bully mode’ that is only available in the blood bank after three items are collected. Shoot red shots to slow bullies down, green shots moves you out of the schoolyard, hit middle Michael Hedge to escape his grip as final mode shot.

+’Totally frenzy’ 5x scoring two ball multi only awarded on the third ball when you utilize the staged ball at the grave. All switch hits trigger various “Totally” callouts for as long as both are in play. Add the Meyers grave staged ball to the mode for 10x scoring as long as all three balls are in play. All ramps and switches score 100k except scoops which score -100k

+’Rise Again’ super wizard mode only awarded after completion of both regular wizard modes. Light roaming shots to make all three Michaels appear from the hedge. Have to trap balls to see which hedge to shoot on an LCD animation. Have one chance to hit the correct hedge for massive super jackpots. Any other switch hit resets the roaming shots and you have to start over. Timed mode, if you fail to kill him ball drains and the game ends (UNLESS you have a ball staged ball at the grave, then game rolls over but you are in:

+’Beyond the Grave victory laps mode’ awarded when you complete/survive the super wizard mode and play beyond it by use of the staged ball at the grave. Game starts over at the beginning but you play with permanent 10x scoring for as long as your alive. New song plays and callouts/ switch hit clips are different as an added suprise. Extra ball is lit after completing two modes to reward a game well played and to keep it rolling. ( ‘schoolyard bully mode’ is a requirement to play this mode as well. If you get this far and havnt played the mode you’ll here “he’s gonna get you he’s gonna get you” when the ball drains from the Meyers grave after ‘rise again’ then you’ll see the clip of Michael grabbing the kid and the game over screen)

*’Midnight Massacre’ awarded only when you are playing at midnight. An image of a creepy clock appears on screen at 11:58 as a ghost image that gets more opaque as time move toward midnight when the goes completely dark. Red GI and expression lights fade up. Screen comes back a vintage television set with static sounds then cycles through monster /sci fi movies like the kids are watching on Halloween in the movie. Animation of the kids in front watching the tv like mst3k. Stab blood targets for jackpots in three ball multi. Mode ends when only one ball remains. Game can be set to play this mode at noon as well for ‘midday madness’ so you can play it more often haha.

If you like any of these ideas get behind em, screenshot and repost em and make some noise. Spooky is listening.

Never underestimate how good people are at pinball. I can count 15 guys I know personally off the top of my head that can blow through rulesets like no one’s business. Karl (IE Pinball is not the only cat who can blow through this current ruleset twice in one game) Also half the fun in pinball to me and many others is learning, explaining and uncovering less obvious elements of rulesets to pin head friends. We are nerds at heart and nerds appreciate something they sink their teeth and brains into. End rant. Thanks for reading!

#1326 2 years ago

Where is there one on location? I’m not too far from Dedham.

Quoted from BriannaWu:

How has the reliability been? Some of the comments above about updating code have me concerned. The one on my location seems to spend a lot of time broken.

#1369 2 years ago

40 minutes to talk about it and about 20 minutes to complete with efficient gameplay. (As proven by IE pinballs most recent stream) No one is hating on the code, we would just like to more mode content in future updates. Something to strive and work for and yeah…maybe a mode that is so difficult to get to that 90% of players will never get to it. This is the reward for people who take playing seriously. Pinball machines are not toys…they are GAMES and they ought to reward highly skilled players. The standing code v is a great start but I defy anyone to argue in favor of ending here.

Quoted from Jediturtle:

Cool flowchart, great video going over it. Haters whining about shallow rules please note that it took a 40 minute video to go through them all, LOL. Awesome work. Looking forward to getting mine VERY soon and then getting to experience the rules evolve first hand. Keep up the great work! #inbugwetrust!

How exactly would you substantiate this claim? Sounds like a load of bologna to me. People who are unsuccessful at playing for completion on deeper pins do not typically clamor for content they will never reach. However, There are a lot of amazing pinball players in the world and there are quite a few with a presence on here pushing companies for more.

Quoted from rotordave:

I do note that very often, the people complaining the loudest about “need more code” on certain machines are the people that can’t finish what’s there now.
Just an observation.
rd

#1375 2 years ago

I don’t buy games that I can complete within a few dozen plays. At this current code version I am very confident that I will roll this game very early on (which is OK for now, as I know that Spooky intends to expand the ruleset) I prefer to have something to work towards over time. That being said deep rulesets aren’t everything. I sold EHOH after six months because I was regulary playing through the entire game and selling the house on a regular basis. The problem with that game is that it’s an easy shooter, which i also don’t like. Deep rules, difficult to master shots and unique layouts are what I’m after. Halloween has two of these for sure. Just waiting on the third aspect to send this game into the stratosphere.

The most perfectly well rounded game as far as depth, rules and shots is IMDN imo. I obsessively played my premium every day for two years while my other games collected dust. I just want to own games that push me to be a better player and I prefer to play for completion over score. Just a personal preference

Quoted from rotordave:

- COUNTERPOINT TO MY OWN ARGUMENT -
I can understand why they feel they need more content. Because if you only progress so far in a game, you only see the same 3-4 things all the time. That gets OLD. Fast.
Hence - they feel they need more code. Maybe some games need more user chooseable modes, this would give most people more variety. Some games that come to mind, R&M and JP and IM, they have no real mode selection. Unlike say GOTG or AS or AC/DC where you can choose a different mode every time.
Hey - my 10c.
rd

#1377 2 years ago

Deep, wide…yes to both haha. I hear what your saying and it makes sense. IMDN for example…I never got to the final super wizard mode RTTH but I’ll be damned if I didn’t have a hell of a lot of fun TRYING. That dangled carrot really keeps me shooting. I just want something there at the end if I absolutely kill it. Imagine having the nastiest game in your life and then…nothing happens. That sucks. I’ve completed most of the games I’ve owned outside of TSPP and IMDN but…they’re two of my favorites. Possibly based on the fact that I just couldn’t beat it.

Quoted from aeonblack:

I'll be honest, most people don't want deep rules. They say they want deep rules but what they really want are wide rules with lots of different things to do at any given time (maiden is a good example of this, being able to work on true modes, mummy stuff, super stuff, etc and each having it's own unique things to do). As dave said, most people just simply will not get to those final modes. The other thing is, if you're getting to those modes no problem each time, the game does have difficulty settings...but most people, even good players, just don't want to make the game harder. They just want to have more things to do.

#1379 2 years ago

Examples of games that have breadth but not depth?

Quoted from spandol:

I agree. Breadth is actually better than depth, in my opinion.

#1383 2 years ago

For me JP is a perfect example of depth and breadth. Using the trucks direction to move through the map and completing paddocks with fun hidden gems (games xtra ball at Trex and the spinosaurus battle). Perfect paddock awards and Fossil collection with perks for fossil sets. Invalid frenzy at smart middle is amazing. Control room modes and mini wiz are fantastic and fun to stack. Really fun to take different paths to the wizard modes on this game but you have to stay focused on the qualifiers for Escape Nublar wiz and WDRTH super wiz. A near perfect game just like IMDN.

Quoted from spandol:

Off the top of my head, I don’t know of any that exists. I like both, but at the start, I want many paths to take, that keep you heading down the main road. Love JP rules. So many different things to go for at any time, but all needed to get further down the road.

#1384 2 years ago

It does seem odd. If you were playing the film out gameplay ought to be linear and voiceless (and you run the risk of having a sterile repetitive game) If you are playing as a character it ought to be the victim escaping or the killer hunting. The only way to successfully do both would be in a co-op multiplayer scenario where 1-3 players are victims and one player is the killer. The killer would play a different ruleset and their modes / qualifiers would be dependent on the victims progress and achievements in gameplay (and vice versa). Victims goals could be shots to team up, run/ hide, attack, collect weapons for defense. The killers goal would be breaking up team ups, stealing multiballs, dismantling progress by adding qualifying shots to modes for the victims etc. Final mode for killer would be a multiball that ends the game for the victims and awards their remains balls to the killer to continue his spree. I have an entire ruleset written for Friday 13th that utilizes some of these. The game also has 1 player as victim and 1 player as killer. The depth would likely suffer due to the immense coding that would have to occur across the various gameplay scenarios though.

Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Per the ruleset video:
In Spooky Pinball's Halloween, you play as evil serial killer Michael Myers. In modes based on scenes and themes from the iconic movie, you pursue your goal of murdering innocent characters.
Except for in a handful of modes. In those, you play as a different character and pursue your goal of escaping evil serial killer Michael Myers.
This seems odd.

#1388 2 years ago

The end of ball screens would be sick too. Like instead of just seeing a bonus rack up it would show all players scores and how they’re affected by the last ball. Weapons lost/gained, Team up (ball locks) lost or gained, successful escapes/ kills as well as a numerical score for each player victim or killer. Kind of like a debriefing for where you stand at the next ball. Would be complex, strategic and addictive co-op gameplay if pulled off right. If someone develops a FH13 and doesn’t utilize this I’ll peel the skin off my own face haha

Quoted from Chisox:

That killer/victim multiplayer idea sounds like a coding nightmare but would be incredible if pulled off. I’ve always thought a vs. multiplayer scenario where you’re legit playing against each other where your shots negate the other player’s progress would be great.

#1389 2 years ago

Game would be connected via wifi so you can connect with other players in groups just like on Xbox one / PlayStation as well. Game could have a cam and players could have avatars that appear on in game animations. That’s a huge component

Quoted from Porkfritter:

A linked game like NBA Fastbreak sounds great in your scenario above!

#1409 2 years ago

It’s only a toy if you play it like one. Code settings? Like…set the game to be LESS game? Every pin should be designed with everyone who plays them in mind. And people who take pinball seriously can get to the end of games. There is no such “wizard” that’s asinine. It is a game of skill and practice makes perfect.

It is a game in the end and some of do take pinball seriously but just aren’t good enough to get to many modes or finish the game. In the end it is an expensive toy. Just make code settings in the options to cover all player types. Not all of us can be pinball wizards like you.

#1484 2 years ago

Can I ask what was your reason for moving the game was prior to allowing the code to mature?

Quoted from iepinball:

I usually hold onto games for 12-18 months on average with many lasting longer than that. This was an exception.

#1501 2 years ago

Waiting to hear back from about 15 people about their impressions on Halloween at Pintastic. Will report back!

#1505 2 years ago

Most definitely, however…mine is going on location so the show feedback will be helpful for me.

Quoted from SpookyLuke:

Remember also especially on a horror themed game there is a very large difference between playing at a show and playing in a dark basement by yourself where you can really take it in.

#1510 2 years ago

Only four more ratings for Halloween to be approved for the pinside top 100 (which is being updated in two days btw) If you have your game or have played the game please leave a rating and review! Curious to see what the consensus is this far.

#1536 2 years ago

This sounds suspect on a number of levels. Cointaker is not a Spooky distrib and the deposit for a CE was $2k

Quoted from Paukieboy:

I have a $1k deposit with Melissa for a Halloween Collector’s edition. Hopefully it’s legit, I’m anxious to get it! She said I’m probably a couple of months out.

#1542 2 years ago

I doubt it, how would they profit from that? There have been no spots sold for $1k loss. Even if there were there wouldn’t even be $1 to be made for Cointaker

Quoted from Kkoss24:

Maybe they’re buying up the ones dumped for a loss .

#1545 2 years ago

So, you’re proving me correct then. That says $1060. That’s a $940 loss and one single game haha

#1584 2 years ago

Doubt it, UM is up next.

Quoted from icyjones:

Hoping for maybe a code bump this weekend to 1.03......

#1588 2 years ago

Isn’t 1.03 just the bug fix from the oct code?

Quoted from icyjones:

I would normally agree, but 1.03 has been shipping on the new machines.

#1614 2 years ago

I like this one.

Quoted from Mudflaps:

I have this one on Elvira. It’s cast resin and hand painted vs a flat plastic. And it’s cheaper than the other one! Lots of options if you like this stuff.
https://backalleycreations.com/collections/elvira-house-of-horrors-pinball-mods/products/red-dripping-blood-shooter-housing-mod
[quoted image]

#1656 2 years ago

pffft…this IS pinball. Shit breaks. If you don’t wanna fix a pin, don’t buy a pin. If anyone cancels an order over an air ball that cracks a plastic then they’re a fool.

Quoted from tk375:

That sucks. Stuff like this is what is making people cancel their orders. Spooky should overnight a replacement. It's on them.

#1666 2 years ago

No, I’m an operator who has owned over 150+ pins. But…thanks for playing

Quoted from tk375:

Blah blah blah! Is that what you got from google? Bawhaha!

#1668 2 years ago

I’m sure they’ll send you a new part at no cost.

Quoted from John-Floyd:

For perspective, I own a LZ premium and have had to deal with the quite a few EM spinner ‘issues’ (putting it nicely haha) so this incident pales in comparison to some of that frustration. Reached out to Stern, they took care of it. I still love my LZ and it ain’t going anywhere.
Or when JJP forgot to put the leg levelers in the box of my new GNR. Again, shit happens. Reached out to them and it was taken care of and I had new ones an hour later.
Definitely don’t think Spooky or any Mfg ‘owes me’ anything unless its a really serious issue that I had nothing to do with within the first few months or so. I’d gladly pay for a replacement piece if need be as It's just a $5 piece of plastic. I never understood all of this ‘owes me/us’ attitude on Pinside. Seems rampant.

#1687 2 years ago

Lots of fixes and additions! Check the code version notes here!

1 week later
#1945 2 years ago

Soooo…what do we make of this FB post by the animator? Does he not currently work for Spooky orrrrr…?
F9CF06AC-C658-4AE6-98DD-59A4C4A93F69 (resized).pngF9CF06AC-C658-4AE6-98DD-59A4C4A93F69 (resized).png

#1949 2 years ago

Hmm, ok…he says he is still working on animations. Very misleading post. Must just be a contract job.

Quoted from miracleman:

That guy's Nucking Futs!
Everything he's said publicly has been cray cray.
The flash animations are the weakest part of the game I've seen so far.
"Be Afraid, Spooky. Be VERY Afraid."

#1982 2 years ago

They will likely reach 40 per week in the near future of parts stay in supply so…math aint anyone’s friend here. Too many unknown variables

Quoted from miyagiPins:

at the current pace spooky told me of 20 per week, you are 500 off which is 25 weeks. That puts you at Mid June.
Rudimentary math is your friend bud.

#2007 2 years ago

Big code update coming around xmas / NYE!

#2049 2 years ago

I had a Wonka for awhile, never really felt any excitement for it. Couldn’t get lost in it. Pretty sure I prefer HWN even at early code.

Quoted from MJK-911:

How does Halloween rank next to Wonka ?

#2128 2 years ago

I bet if there were a rubber installed like this there wouldn’t be a ball hangup problem here. It looks like the first ball that goes down gets knocked back to the post by the following ball. Just have to reduce the amount of space so that only one ball can move through at a time.

21EBD287-372B-48AB-A712-80C5361DC1C0 (resized).jpeg21EBD287-372B-48AB-A712-80C5361DC1C0 (resized).jpeg
#2167 2 years ago

Is it under the laundry shoot or did you cut a hole in the ceiling to accommodate the topper? haha

Quoted from Lopa:

Game #168 butter cab home safe and sound.
[quoted image]

#2177 2 years ago

I saw a video of the topper where you can definitely see the knife behind the backglass. Can anyone confirm this?

Quoted from Roostking:

With early speculation that you would be able to see the knife "stab" into the head through the backglass. Didn't come to fruition though. Can't have everything and put $$$ to gameplay!

#2183 2 years ago

I bet you could install an led strip on the back of the knife to make the shadow appear through the glass more effectively.

Quoted from Roostking:

I've played one in location and I'm not seeing it. Would be sweet if this could be done.

#2263 2 years ago

Stalker mode needs separate music from house mode, and some film clips in there would be nice. But…varying music between modes will make or break this pin. My thought is to utilize mostly Count Ds music in game and save the original sound track for attract mode and house.

#2272 2 years ago

What happens if Michael catches you in Stalker?

#2274 2 years ago

Ahh okay, thought it might be a real hefty risk /reward situation where he gets you and your flippers die. Or…you get a negative score.

Quoted from Jediturtle:

The mode ends if you do not hit the hurry-up in time.

#2287 2 years ago

Follow instructions very CLOSELY or you might brick your game and have to get Fawzma to reflash. Don’t use a Mac and make sure the file was not renamed by your comp!!!

Quoted from SDVmnt:

Download from the white "code update" url on that page.
Format USB to fat32, copy files, eject. put USB in open USB port behind speakers. Turn on game. Follow instructions.

#2313 2 years ago

I actually like the look of the stock plate with the blood drip mod. I’ll prob stick with that.

Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I believe Spooky does the powder in house, so it does seem silly that the shooter housing wasn't done, as well. Only thing I could think of is that the housings they use are chromed and they would have to strip that off first. Perhaps they couldn't get raw housings.

#2358 2 years ago

Some of the rules / objectives gripes here I feel are a bit unfounded but otherwise I appreciate hearing an honest review.

- I’d agree about mode memory, that should be added into the code.

- I personally like the idea of some timed modes and some open where you can stack multis or other modes. If it’s untimed and you just get stuck in it and can’t open other parts of the game till you complete or drain…that kinda sucks

- If all all shots were used for every mode then all modes would feel the same. Even EHOH which you referenced does not require every shot for every mode. One mode is just orbits, another is just pops, another is center ramp and drop target, another is alternating ramps etc.

- The three MMs…well…you couldn’t play whack a mole with just one Meyers sooo

- Insert color for shots on any newer game is always something that takes time to learn. Without an in-depth rule sheet on HWN/ UM I’m sure it’s a bit frustrating but someone will put together a rule sheet soon enough and I’m sure we’ll be happy (and knowledgeable) about what the insert colors represent

Quoted from Mudflaps:

Thoughts after two months of ownership:
Things I don’t like:
- Modes don’t have memory. I have to start from scratch if I fail a mode. Frustrating, not fun.
- Some modes time out, others don’t.
- LCD animations. I’m fine with the static frames, but the font is way too small. Instructions are difficult to read on the fly.
- Not all the shots are utilized in each mode. I enjoy games where every shot will lead me to a goal (IMDN, EHOH). This is a sharpshooter game, for better or worse.
- Many of the transitions are sloppy (Hedge multiball).
- The three Micheals on the left. It’s redundant. One would have been cool.
- Lit shots are unclear sometimes. Is purple good or bad? Is green good? Red? I don’t know.
- Dr. Loomis sound-alike. He’s fine in small doses, but he’s always talking. When I drain, he congratulates me on my survival. Hmmm.
What I like:
- The music is totally immersive. It puts you in the Halloween movie.
- The mechs are good, especially the house ramp to the magnet. Very satisfying.
- I’m fine with the bare LEDs. I think a diffuser would help, but they’re integrated well.
- PJ Soles callouts. She was in the movie, and I’d like more callouts from her.
What I love:
- The art. My God, it’s gorgeous.
- Spooky’s passion to make the best game possible. They’re responsive and own their mistakes.
- The powdercoated speaker covers, ramps and wireforms. Nice attention to detail.
- The topper. It’s the first thing I show everyone.
- The RGB lighting. Fantastic lightshow all around.
- The joy of playing as a true Halloween fan. You can tell Spooky are fans as well and want to make this an amazing experience.
- Spooky’s response time to any issues.
- Did I mention the art? Stunning.
- The sculpts. Kudos to Back Alley Matt. The pumpkin, tombstone and Michael figures are top notch.
- This game is loaded. Four flippers, four scoops, six drops, multiple subways, magnet, four ramps, two spinners, two upper playfields, RGB lighting, the list goes on.
To anyone waiting on their game, you’re in for a treat. Be patient, it will only get better!
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"3f2a598f67dd7ea2aa9b2a258b5364758817c8d5-1641608277-1800"};
//]]>

#2367 2 years ago

Noticed in a stream that you can backhand out of the sanitarium. If there is an opto on the ramp they should utilize that by programming some secret award. Like a backdoor ‘santitarium escape’ x value or secret extra ball…orrr give a lil’ nod to Zaccaria and do an ‘end time bonus’ mini game after your last ball. A timed bonus mode based on the number of “backdoor escapes” maybe it results not in a additional score but a % bonus based on your total in game score. One backdoor escape could equal 30 seconds, 2 a minute and so on. I love secret shit. That would be cool. And players that didn’t know about it would be like “what the fuc# was thaaaat?” when they see you do it.

#2396 2 years ago

Better yet, turn the final shot roving AND put a timer on it.

Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

I really like how this game is turning out but the Death in the driver’s seat mode needs to time out. All the shots are easily makable except for the right loop. An average player is going to have a though time making that shot and the game gets boring quick when that is the only shot left. Having that mode time out would fix that problem.

#2433 2 years ago

You should call the cops.

Quoted from Ilushka85:

That’s not an excuse …. The fact that they have staff to build someone else’s game and didn’t get my shooter rod on my machine before shipping to me isn’t my fault. I paid before everyone else and deserve a complete game. If that means someone stops building games for a day and processes 100 shooter rods then that’s what happens. I used to own an e-commerce company and may warehouse crew of 3 received packages all day and still shipped out 600 packages. We are talking 100 shooter rods. Shouldn’t have taken more then a day.

#2481 2 years ago

Holy moly! Tons of new posts, must be a code update! Nope…this guy needs his shooter rod that Spooky already told him they will get sent out right away. Jesus. Can we move on?

#2483 2 years ago

Lol, I wish we could eject him just for fun. So…he wants the rod to complete the game so he can SELL IT. Cooooool.

#2502 2 years ago

Muting this thread. G’bye.

#2611 2 years ago

Im. The laughing at.divorce Three times.

I bet! Lol

Quoted from jdlang11:

Questions.... im.the Marines..
I'm not sensitive to anything. Divorced 3 times

#2626 2 years ago

Stop worrying and just put some heat shrink on those wires. It’ll take 2 minutes.

A few weeks ago I received an email from Spooky support telling me that the pumpkin flasher issue was being addressed. I constantly worry about about those exposed wires being hit. I worry about the flasher being sheared off, the wires breaking or something shorting out when the ball bashes the two socket leads together. Can anyone from Spooky supply some detail to what the fix is or will be? Thanks in advance.

#2628 2 years ago

There is not a single pinball machine in existence that is hassle free. If your going to buy a pin from any manufacturer you should brace yourself for having to dial it in, perform general maintenance / preventative maintenance and repair / adjustments. That is just the nature of pinball. Now, if you had told me that you were planning on buying HWN/UM as your very first machine I’d have recommended that you instead buy a Stern pro that doesn’t have a lot going on in it. These two Spooky titles are full on packed with unique mechs, multiple flippers, multiple playfields, multiple scoops, drop targets, rollovers, optos etc etc etc. You’re going to have to be willing to get under the hood. Everyone here will be willing to help but…there is no whining in pinball. That is isn’t directed straight at you. There is A LOT of whimpering going on in here and it’s frankly surprising. Anyway… learning how these things work and tinkering around is a major part of the hobby AND that aspect can be enjoyable too.

Quoted from miyagiPins:

Mine is on the line right now and I’m really hoping Im not impacted by the quality control issues from the past few weeks. This is my family’s first home pin and reading a few recent deliveries has me nervous.

#2637 2 years ago

Oh for sure, my point is that you can also protect it. You don’t need to wait for them to fix it.

We have already had club members shear it off and Spooky has something in the works to fix it. It needs to be addressed. Shorting out your 12v line is never a good thing. I have already kicked around the idea of removing the socket altogether but want to see the Spooky fix first. The pumpkin would be much better off directly wired from the rear and suspended from the lower upper playfeild rail. Comet makes connections that would make it a snap if done correctly.

#2697 2 years ago

Whatever you do, do not go read the UM owners thread. Yikes! It’s like WW3 In there.

#2699 2 years ago

Nope, owners legit just freaking the F out about the state of the code. Panicking. Some guy f’n GAVE his spot away for free. Mental. No patience.

Quoted from Lopa:

Well crap, now I have to. Is it Kenada stirring the pot in there too?

#2702 2 years ago

So ridiculous.

Quoted from Oaken:

Don’t forget the deeproot comparisons

#2708 2 years ago

A few, yes. But there are also a lot of concerned buyers holding on to their spots and getting…well…”spooked”. The HWN buyers seem more confident. I think the comparisons to Godzilla is really what’s shaking the UM buyers. I’m not personally excited by where the code is at on either game at this point but I’m trying to be patient and have some faith.

Quoted from Agent_Hero:

It looks like a few people are mad that they aren't able to flip their pre-order for big profits so they're trying to claim false advertising/bait & switch when they probably just need to back away from the podcasts for a bit.

#2713 2 years ago

More like Kaiju Grumble haha

Quoted from lpeters82:

You might want to edit that to, "It's like a Kaiju Rumble in there."

#2714 2 years ago

I would prioritize getting a nice clean view of the LCD and one solid crisp clear and bright overhead view. Maybe the company should invest in some high def cameras for streaming. I think it would be worth it to have on hand especially if people’s opinions are being swayed by other lower quality streams first.

Quoted from SpookyBug:

Yeah the echo was pretty appalling I must say Definitely gonna get that taken care of. My next question for everyone is should I try to mount a camera focused on just the two upper playfields, or set another one more at player pov looking up the playfield from the flippers?

#2717 2 years ago

IEP and Deadflip are the gold standard for me.

Quoted from Agent_Hero:

As a casual player just trying to get a feel for how a game plays, I've always enjoyed Buffalo Pinball's "Bro Do You Even Pinball" streams. They seem to have a good layout for the cameras and I can get an idea of how the game plays based on how they have their cameras.

#2720 2 years ago

Really? I only really watch an entire stream if the player is screaming through the code. I want to get a succinct feel of the work flow of the game so I love IEP for that.

Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Deadflip has good equipment, but I zone out if a really good player is just burning through the entire game day one. I don't need to see the wizard mode to know if I'll like a game or not.

Yeah, i hear that. I don’t watch him live. Only when it’s posted later so I can FF haha

Quoted from BriannaWu:

Deadflip has a gorgeous setup technically. But he tends to ramble. I am not going to watch an hour and fifty four minute video with no editing!

#2736 2 years ago

Nice, you should post this as a review of the game. It’s probably the most level headed thing I’ve read about it.

Quoted from Jediturtle:

90% of the negativity is herd mentality and the fact that there seems to be a large portion of the population these days that thinks it makes them cool to tear someone or something apart. The louder they cry on a public platform, the more attention they get. It's nauseating. Are there some legitimate concerns? Sure...there always is with every game. But the current negativity towards these games is pretty ridiculous and largely driven by a few individuals who seem to have some sort of vendetta against Spooky.
The layout is very unique and fun to shoot, even the upper playfields which I'm not usually a huge fan of. There are more shots than the vast majority of games released. The code is deeper than it gets credit for, and uses the entire playfield(s) in some creative ways. The art is GORGEOUS. The A/V assets are well used, especially the sounds and music which put a huge smile on my face as a fan of the theme. It's a really great game all around, no matter how many people want to dispute that. Sure, everyone has their own opinions of what makes a great game, but this is FAR from the trainwreck some would lead you to believe. Even taking all emotion and preference out of the equation, it's a solid game.
Are there some bugs? Sure. Could it use more code? Yup. Are there some quality control issues? Yup. Every single manufacturer has the same issues. Spooky has straight out demonstrated progress on every one of these issues. Not just talk, action. Is it as fast as everyone would like? Nope. They are a TINY company...a fraction of the size of the big boys, so yes, it's going to take longer in some cases. But they have shown real progress on every issue. People have been hired, bugs have been squashed, code continues to be added.
Bottom line is they deserve a heck of a lot more grace, patience, and trust than they have been getting lately.

#2762 2 years ago

Give it six months, it’s almost acceptable at the moment.

Quoted from dsmoke1986:

I can't wait to get my CE, still going to be awhile for me...How's the new code?

#2785 2 years ago

Has anyone started writing a comprehensive rule sheet for this game yet?

#2793 2 years ago

Dug? More like BUG haha

#2811 2 years ago

I think this may be the reason IEP sold his so quickly. Even a moderate player can cook through the current code. This game really needs to deepen and widen code wise. Has anyone heard anything about a new update coming? The last one was about 1/10th the additional content I would have hoped for.

The better I get at this game the more the current code is becoming a problem. Often (on a good game) the game kind of hits a dead end and doesn’t know how to queue up the next mode. The drop targets are all down but the mode start option just isn’t there. You can still play but there is no objective presenting itself. I literally need to drain the current ball to advance the game. Everything resets with the new ball but that isn’t how it should be. I am sure this will be fixed with the next update. I’m not the best player but it is now very noticeable to me. Are others seeing this too?

#2936 2 years ago

I would take apart and rebuild that mech. If it’s working well while cold and then gives you problems while warmed up I’d suspect the plunger is binding in the sleeve slightly. Definitely seems like a mechanical problem.

Quoted from GreenMachine19:

Ok I’m out of ideas. I’ve reloaded the software. I’ve replaced the balls. I’ve reseated the solenoid bank 2 connector. I’ve upped the power on the coil. My game is at 6.5 degrees level per recommendation. I’ve checked all the trough switches in switch test. Anybody got anything else? My game works totally fine otherwise. Just can’t get balls out of the trough consistently. It seems to have gotten worse over time. It has to try multiple times to get a ball in the shooter lane. Does it need a longer duration pulse to get that ball to come out?

#2972 2 years ago

I don’t think that’s necessarily true. They seem to be alternating between each pretty fairly. The coding will take twice as long to complete as RaM since there are two games to code. I think Spooky’s timeframe of complete code in one year is a bit ambitious. We all just need to have more patience…especially the folks in the UM thread haha.

Side note: I always felt like we show have only had one owners forum for both games so we can all keep track of what is happening at Soooky, buyer concerns, fixes and tweaks. It’s wild that UM buyers are melting down while HWN owners are mostly sitting right, having some patience and generally staying positive. The UM thread could use some of that vibe

Quoted from arzoo:

I'm waiting on my Ultraman but hanging out here because the vibe is SO much better than on the Ultraman club thread. Part of the problem I think is that Spooky seems to throw more love toward HW than UM these days, but maybe that's just my take.

#2981 2 years ago

You get an email from Soooky.

Quoted from John_C:

How are you folks getting your build & shipping confirmations? Are you contacting Spooky and asking or are you getting an email notification?

#2983 2 years ago

If you bought from a distrib you hear from them. If you bought from Spooky you hear from Spooky.

Quoted from Gotfrogs:

All of my interactions and communications have been directly with Nitro (the distributor I bought from).

#2992 2 years ago

Tagging team Spooky in hopes they’ll amend this part for future builds…looks like a lot of the early builds have this issue with the drop targets not setting properly. Seems like an easy fix.

SpookyLuke SpookyBug spooky_dj

Quoted from KSP1138:

For those having issues with the center drop targets not always dropping, especially on hard hits, I can confirm that replacing their springs with Bally/Williams 10-364 springs has completely fixed that problem for me.

#3051 2 years ago

EXXXXXITING! BOC must be getting confused as to why so many pinball companies are approaching them haha

#3089 2 years ago

‘Don’t fear the reaper’ will fit extremely well. It’s in A minor and has a haunting ethereal quality to it. Probably why Carpenter chose to use it in the first place. Very pumped to have this track included.

Quoted from delt31:

Agreed but that was really a filler scene with the girls talking. Interesting to see how they pull it off Bc everything in the game right now is very spooky/scary. Not saying it’s a bad thing - just curious how this comes together with the current code.

#3102 2 years ago

Imagine you start the wizard mode, the game goes dark and you just hear those high hats from before the solo section start to build. Then all the balls kick out with a crazy light show, Michael Meyers face is flashing on the LCD screen and that screaming solo starts as you shoot for all the jackpots. When you clear a final super Jackpot you go into victory laps as the song goes to verse and chorus sections. That would be quite momentous.

#3140 2 years ago

Depends on it you bought direct from Spooky. Otherwise you’ll be contacted by your distributor.

Quoted from steve-o:

Does Spooky email you when your pin ships and provides shipping and tracking details?
Thanks
~Steveo

#3171 2 years ago

As I general rule of thumb I typically start diagnosing the simple solutions and rule them out working my way towards the more complicated that way I don’t drive myself crazy. 9 times out of ten it’s an easy mechanical issue or slight adjustment that needs to be made.

The tab you can see in the image needs to be screwed down further than the one you can’t see on the other side of the scoop. So I have 5 small thin washers on the farther and 2 on the closer tab. As you tighten it down you can see the shoot kind of twist down so it’s aiming into the lane. I can make the issue come and go now by playing with this spacing. With the shield removed you can launch the balls right out of the game so I now know it wasn’t a power issue or a settings issue. It’s not a pinotaur issue, a trough switch issue, connector issue etc. I literally checked ever single other thing it could be before I finally said I’m just going to disassemble the whole thing until I can see what’s going on. With the shield off it became obvious.

#3175 2 years ago

Sure, I get it. I’d have likely pulled the apron up first and filmed the ball coming out of the hood and reviewed it in slow motion. Sometimes it’s as simple as: problem with the trough -> look closely at the trough itself. I don’t say that to be a dink. Personally my mind tends to bounce around a lot when something goes wrong. “is it pinotaur? Is it the coil? The plunger assembly? Intermittent connection? Cold solder joint?” Etc etc So I have to tell myself to go right to the source of the problem first. It tends to save me a lot of headaches.

I checked every simple solution that was suggested or what I could think of. Disassembling the trough never crossed my mind, nor did anyone suggest it. It was my last ditch effort that I could do without parts.

#3239 2 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:I keep having second thoughts about getting into bed with Halloween. Bob aka spooky please reconfirm I’m making the right decision.
[quoted image]

FE19F391-7BD5-403B-9FC0-EB4F08798BAA (resized).jpegFE19F391-7BD5-403B-9FC0-EB4F08798BAA (resized).jpeg
#3241 2 years ago

Wow…this s#it is unbelievable. A terrible review from someone who doesn’t even know that Halloween is a film. If any of you like this game I suggest you go give it an honest review. Otherwise HWN is about to go down the pinside trash shoot due to a couple of nimrods.

52A8EDEE-1B87-45F8-A7DC-48F39B2368EA (resized).jpeg52A8EDEE-1B87-45F8-A7DC-48F39B2368EA (resized).jpeg531D47C1-C8A3-468F-93C0-39B127B8F7B5 (resized).jpeg531D47C1-C8A3-468F-93C0-39B127B8F7B5 (resized).jpeg
#3246 2 years ago

The code IS being worked on and it certainly won’t become any worse. So to say that people are “assuming” the code will develop is absurd. It IS developing and we are watching it in real time.

Quoted from TheLaw:

That's the ratings game. Just as many High ratings that assume the code will get better.[quoted image]

#3269 2 years ago

Guy posted a pic of the chip and Spooky sent him a BRAND NEW upper playfield. This doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

Quoted from underlord:

Aww nuts.
[quoted image]

#3282 2 years ago

Don’t put it in the garage. Game will fit indoors without the topper, congrats! That’s quite a nice surprise!

Quoted from CursedFrogurt:

Hey all, new here and new to pinball ownership. Play a lot of locally but the family decided to surprise me with one of these for the game room since it's my favorite IP. Couple dumb questions for veterans and folks who have already gotten theirs:
How difficult is it to set up and play out of the box? Something a reasonable person can handle alone or should I look to a local with some experience?
What are the dimensions set up? My game area has pretty low clearance (88in) but I can also make room in the garage.
If I do need to make room in the garage, I assume these are pretty sensitive to humidity? I can get a dehumidifier and upgrade the weather stripping but I'd like to do that as much in advance as possible.
What else do I need to know that's obvious to a veteran but a n00b will probably overlook?
Thanks!

#3303 2 years ago

Looks like we’re entering the “POWDERGATE” portion of this journey.

Quoted from SpaceFury:

I have the same thing going on but mine is on the coin door. It looks pretty bad at certain angles .
[quoted image]

#3322 2 years ago

Send it to me and take my #690

Quoted from deadend88:

#293 CE being delivered today. unfortunately I will not be able to unbox it until May/June when we complete our move to CO. Still a newb to ownership and this is my first game in collection. based on lurking in the forum for months, I am excited to get this game set up and plays on it as soon as possible. Don't know why I didn't find pinside sooner in life, but certainly glad I did and it led me to Spooky!

#3343 2 years ago

The guy is just pissed cause he bought both games with the intention to quick flip when he ought to have know full well that the code would take twice as long as they are working on two games. What a rude friggin’ stooge…took his ball and went home with piss in his pants. Guy won’t let it go. He’s got to ruin it for everyone.

Quoted from delt31:

Halloween has the most underrated topper in some time. Not enough talk about it in general but it is bad ass. Absolutely love how the topper has the name of the game while the translite doesn't.
I can't wait for this entire "hate halloween movement" to flip back around and people kick themselves for selling at a loss. Only 1250 pinball machines made of the best scary movie of all time. A genre we NEVER see in pinball anymore on top of that. I texted chris (kaneda) that anyone who refers to the shape as "Mike" myers has absolutely no idea what they're talking about when it comes to halloween. He gets it too. It's just the next thing to focus on. Anyone that plays this game without bias comes away very happy and I will continue to support it.

#3346 2 years ago

I love all sorts of different gameplay styles for sure. The only thing I really hope for is that I am engaged, there are numerous strategical ways to approach gameplay and it has depth to keep me coming back in an effort to play for completion. I think opinions on HWN/UM will end up something like TSPP. Those who are open to having a unique experience will love it and those who never took the time to LEARN the game just won’t ever “get it”

Quoted from delt31:

That could very well be the case but imo, it's not that malicious. It's good content for the show and he does like to surface inperfections but with his limited play time and complete lack of understanding of why halloween works as a movie and now a pinball machine, he's off to the races and not turning back.
The mindset you have when playing halloween is not the same as godzilla (another game I own). These are two different pins. Halloween has its own style and tempo and mood and you name it. The game is very unique and is truly a collectors pin - not a tournament player that is all about fast combos and scoring while you rock out to your own music. It's completely the opposite of that so I can understand not only why someone who has no appreciation for the movie doesn't like it and also why the tournament players don't care for it either.
But guess what? They're only 1250 of these gems so we don't need the entire hobby to love it.

#3372 2 years ago

How much would you say is the total cost of this mod?

Quoted from Gotfrogs:

I got my new LCD installed. The blacks look so much better. I highly recommend this mod.[quoted image]

#3378 2 years ago

Quoted from LMTLESS:

I wonder if Spooky or PinballStar could help us with doing this or not.

#3381 2 years ago

Indeed I did haha, oops!

Quoted from LMTLESS:

I think you replied to the wrong post...

#3421 2 years ago

Something tells me that they may have some extra pre-fix playfields hanging around. Maybe try to request one when you get the butter email.

Quoted from Roostking:

I wish my 920 would come with the old insert I don't want the fixed play field.

#3425 2 years ago

Strategy wise: Is anyone loading that ball at the Judith grave at the start of every single ball? I feel like you could very easily maximize scoring and game time by basically turning into a six ball game with only three well placed shots. Or am I missing something? I havnt received my game yet so apologies if I’m not understanding this feature correctly.

#3429 2 years ago

Ahhhh I see, so you have to nail it as skill shot. Now, does it cancel out if the ball hits the slings? And how hard is it to trap up from launch and then nail the shot?

Quoted from Morgoth00:

Well everyone TRIES to load it there at least. You only get one chance as any scoring before locking it, turns the immediate lock off.

#3431 2 years ago

Generally pretty good at it but the trajectory and speed of the ball has a lot do with it. I’ll definitely be practicing this a lot when my game arrives. I imagine mastering this would be crucial for keeping modes running and completing them, stretching multiballs and ripping towards those wiz modes. Such a cool feature.

Quoted from Morgoth00:

If you have mastered drop catch, then cool. But if it touches those slings it's going somewhere you don't want it to, which equals points. I don't recall the slings counting as points.

#3435 2 years ago

Right on, I’d bet with a very controlled playing style you may be able to avoid it. But…that’s not super fun all the time haha

Quoted from metallik:

The Judith lock is not a guaranteed ballsave, oftentimes you accidentally knock it out early and just get an extra ball on the playfield for a while.

#3438 2 years ago

Still hoping that the music is changed for house multiball. That should be a real hype point in the game. The pensive theme is just not well placed here. I’m sure that Count D has some more kinetic and intense music for that section of gameplay. All the original music works beautifully in the single ball play and in modes but that multiball that you’ve got to work so hard for? Those balls ought to rip out to some f’n lightning!!!! I’m sure they’ll come to this conclusion eventually. Game is looking better and better every update! Stoked that I’ve got my CE spot!

#3456 2 years ago

Bug mentioned in the UM owners forum that he was in the process of play testing the new code last night. Hopefully that goes for HWN too. Shouldn’t be long.

Quoted from radfordian3505:

So excited for the new code too drop. Any ideas when it will be?

#3462 2 years ago

If this is present on a lot of games its a bad bug that needs to be addressed for operators / location games.

Quoted from Mudflaps:

Yup. Mine does this also. I just cycle the power and all is back to normal.

#3487 2 years ago

I would re seat all connectors and check for shorts. If that doesn’t help I would download a fresh current code version on a completely clean stick and run an update on the game.

Quoted from John_C:

Hi folks,
Halloween CE251 here. Machine has been in use for about 10 days with no problems but as of yesterday has developed a major issue.
Within a couple of minutes of starting a game, the flippers go completely dead and I am unable to continue the game. The ball drains and the computer / GUI will show that ball ending and the next ball starting. However, at this point the game doesn’t feed a ball into the shooter lane. The game just sits there, waiting indefinitely. In addition, once this happens, I am unable to perform any coil tests. I’ve gone as far as manually putting a ball in the shooter lane and shooting it, but the flippers / game remains unresponsive.
An immediate power-off / power-on cycle does not resolve the problem. The machine boots and everything seems fine. Video, audio, and lighting all looks normal. I can start a game but get no ball feed and all coil tests continue to fail. However, if I leave the machine powered-off for a while (30 minutes or longer) and then boot it, everything will be working again, including the coils. I’ll start a game and usually within a couple of minutes, flippers go dead again and all coil tests go inop.
I have thoroughly inspected everything above and below the playfield. No fuses blown, no connectors disconnected or unseated, etc. I have tested all switches and they all check good.
Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Any suggestions for further troubleshooting?

#3490 2 years ago

It’s definitely not that considering the game goes back to normal after sitting for 30 mins.

Quoted from lpeters82:

If it was just your left flipper and shooter lane, I'd suspect you blew fuse in your orange line, but with it being both flippers it meem more likely something with the 50v power supply. The 50v wires on the supply side just happen to be orange as well. I would call support on Monday.

#3497 2 years ago

Turns out I was right. Now accepting apologies jdlang11

Quoted from jdlang11:

I would definitely listen to the guy who works at Spooky.

Quoted from John_C:

I think I found the problem!
Posts from metallik and lpeters82 pointed me to take a closer look at that 48v power supply in the bottom of the cabinet. Lo and behold, I found an orange wire pulled out of a terminal! A poor crimping job resulted in this wire being very loose. My guess is that vibrations from the shaker / firing coils were causing intermittent failures of this crimped connection and when the circuit would fail, that's when things locked up.
I have since repaired this connection and so far the machine is operating normally again.
I did notice a small area on the orange wire where I think the insulation was melting where it was laying against another wire. But I have been checking those wires since powering up the game an hour ago and I do not feel any heat at this time. Maybe the loose connection was causing that wire to heat up?[quoted image]

#3499 2 years ago

Right on, I’m just busting balls. If pinside is good for anything at all it’s trouble shooting issues. Also love that Spooky members are a constant in both of these owners threads. That’s huge…you won’t get that with any other company

Quoted from jdlang11:

That's means we all win. I love hearing directly from the company.
Was simply saying these guys are giving us direct advice...it's great!!!

#3535 2 years ago

Look back a few pages, this was addressed recently. Some adjustments need to be made

Has anyone who upgraded to the IPS monitor having issues with the sound? The screen is definitely better. The picture is way more crisp. But it seems like the sub woofer does not work at all. I’ve messed with the volume settings on the amp and monitor controls volume. I contacted IPS but they don’t respond at all. The sound on mine is superior with the stock monitor.

#3540 2 years ago

New update coming real soon. Last I heard Bug was… bug testing.

Quoted from metallik:

Yeah, it's just wonderful when the no-right-lift bug kicks in during Stalker... is there an update coming out soon? If not can we at least get a quick bugfix update so this doesn't keep happening?

#3554 2 years ago

They don’t really have time though honestly. Both of these games need to be sewn up pretty quick to maintain public trust / interest. I mean…they have another game in development right now. What happens when it goes up for preorder and hits the line? There is no time or extra personnel to code three games…that’s for sure. They are expensive hires but these employees are what makes these games shine imo. I’m just waiting on that one update that makes this game a real contender. It happened with RaM at about the 6mo point. I’m guessing it’ll be 12mo this time on account of the double release. The tide is slowly turning for HWN but the UM camp seem pretty ornery about the state of code on their games. I’m rooting for a double win but I’m also a realist. Time will tell…but it’s runnin’ out quick.

Quoted from Roostking:

It feels like they need to stop the adding content until they get these bugs situated.. One update just leads to another 3 problems, that seem to be compounding?
Slow down Spooky, you have time!

#3556 2 years ago

It’s going well overall. Slow, but well. The trouble is that impatient folks are so friggin loud. Shit talking all over pinside and facebook. Spinnng all of the flipper bailout into a narrative that if spots are being sold then the game must suck. It’s honestly infuriating to watch. I have my concerns like everyone else but for F sake. These turds need a little faith and patience. Or…they need to stop screaming about a game they never intended to buy in the first place. The theme obviously isn’t for everyone but for us horror / John Carpenter nerds this is a HUGE theme we never thought would be made.

Quoted from Roostking:

I hear ya, and it makes sense, but I don't want a shit ton of content added, for the sake of content If it leads to a buggy pin. If a 3rd pin is in development, at what point will they claim, all good, with issues still occuring and move on. I personally think Spooky buyers are patient and want a solid pin, not a rushed pin, based on the next pin time line. Halloween is going to make or break them I feel, as many people, myself included, went out on a limb for this.
Of course, on the other hand, some bad ass pins are coming out, or announced as we speak.
Can't wait for 920!!

#3559 2 years ago

The odds are very high. We can see it with Kaneda for example (as well as a number of obvious flippers here on pinside who shall remain nameless). Once they figured out these titles weren’t gonna be good for an immediate flip they lost it and went on a jihad against Spooky. This shit is killing the joy of discovery and innovation in this hobby. Treating these games like investment or quick cash opportunities is incredibly wack. And this is coming from a guy who has never sold a game for less than he paid. There’s money to be made for operators, modders, restoration and dealers but the speculative flipping is some serious crap. Where’s the love in that? It’s just soulless capitalist bullshit.

What are the odds that most of the hate comes from those who thought they were going to be able to flip this for good money? I am not a horror fan at all and got this for the wife and kids who are.
I played it early on and can’t wait to get #481 and finally watch the movie. It’s definitely a unique pin and a real nice change from typical pins. I felt the anxious when I played it and also felt the suspense. I didn’t think Spooky could translate horror to a pin and for me they did.
The family wants to me surprised so they have not played it or seen it in person.

#3560 2 years ago

#3561 2 years ago

I’m pumped! I know it’s coming and I’ll love to watch the wave of incredible radness drown all these diaper bottomed naysayers!

Quoted from SpookyLuke:

Spent all weekend just clearing bugs! Content wise the updates are all done we are just trying to catch as many bugs as we can before we put this one out. So we are 100% on the same page with ya!

This update is pretty cool! It has some really cool additions and some things people have been asking for. I think between this one and then when 1.07 hits you will really start to see the tipping point your talking about. We have 0 issue hiring more programmers if that's what it takes to get the job done. Just have to make sure they are a good fit. Whatever we can do to get our customers happy!

#3681 2 years ago

Sir. That’s very funny.

Quoted from pinmatic:

I really dont want anything rob zombie related in this. I'm not digging the song choice.

#3726 2 years ago

no .

Quoted from pinmatic:

Isn't the new music that was unveiled in 1.06 part of rob zombies halloween?

#3786 2 years ago

Tell her to practice.

Quoted from Looprunner:

How do you reset the high score on this game? I took all my wife's high scores and she's ticked off. LOL

#3788 2 years ago

Take the old ones off, put the new ones on.

Quoted from McIntyre905:

Alright so I got my new drop target springs. Anyone have any good videos on how to switch them lol

#3819 2 years ago

That’s nothing…you should see the scoops on RUSH. About 1000x worse. Keep in mind it’s a scoop PROTECTOR. So…it’s gonna take a beating. Pins are meant to be played so…play on and stop hyper focusing.

Quoted from McIntyre905:

Question is this wear normal for pinball games? How can I make this not look like shit lol it's kinda all a look at now
[quoted image]

#3821 2 years ago

It’s covered in mylar, it’s fine.

Quoted from TheLaw:

That does look like shit.
But I guess its just mylar over a protector. Is there even any wear on it?

#3827 2 years ago

I understand the desire to preserve games. Especially collectors edition games but to worry about a scoop PROTECTOR taking damage is a bit ridiculous. It is only there to PROTECT the scoop in the wooden playfield itself. Be GLAD it took hits. I can’t believe I was downvoted for this, get real haha. It’s a replaceable part! If youre worried about resale I’m sure Soooky will send you an extra and you can just keep it on hand till you move it. No big deal.

Quoted from Tranquilize:

These are commercial grade machines that involve wear. It's 1000% supposed to happen. I'm baffled by the desire to prevent it. I enjoy my Genie that is worn down to wood in some areas just as much as my nib machines. Most buyers understand this as well, so fear of resale makes zero sense.

#3833 2 years ago

An alternate reality? Up until just a few years back games didn’t even come with scoop protectors. Yes, cliffys are well made and hold up. Yes, older Stern scoop protectors were better than the most recent ones. Spookys scoop protectors are fine. They are doing what they are meant to do. Protect the SCOOP. Like with all of the other games. If you want the best possible scoop protector money can buy then get one from
Cliff.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Downvoted becasue you've come up with an alternate reality that scoop protecters are wearing & throw away parts; which outside of 2 times I can think of is just not true. Many of us have had Cliffys on our machines for over a decade and they are not damaged and thousands of plays, tens of thousands of hits.
Rush looks like shit and is using garbage parts, not OK. That's not the norm

#3894 2 years ago

Unplug the connector and take the entire bracket out, change out the springs and put it back. Plug the connector back in.

Quoted from McIntyre905:

Okay I'll try that thank you! Now what about this mess. How am I supposed to change out these springs lol [quoted image]

#3901 2 years ago

They are just leds, unscrew them, unscrew the bracket. Replace the screws and put everything back. Just make sure the game is off when you do it. When your done you will have accomplished your first ever pin repair / adjustment and you will be less “annoyed”. Nothing is as hard as you make it in your mind. Just go for it. As far as the update is concerned just shoot an email to Fawzma. He’ll take care of it.

Quoted from McIntyre905:

There seems to be a bunch of stuff overlapping the screws so it won't come out freely
Also I was sent the new code after the first one bricked my machine and it bricked my machine again. If this is how this is gonna go everytime I'm gonna be really annoyed

#3934 2 years ago

Alright…NOW SOMEONE STREAM IT PLZ !!!!

#3937 2 years ago

If you would have read back a few posts you may have seen that there is a bricking safe guard IN v1.06 that will prevent bricking in future updates so…prob solved. After you get 1.06 rolling future updates should have less headaches.

Quoted from jeffro01:

Okay so how do you fix the bricking? My machine is also now bricked, thought something was up when the update completed successfully REALLY fast... Turned off machine, removed USB, turned back on, endless boot loop now.
Not a happy customer right now, there seems to be an issue with how the updates are done on this game given the multiple complaints anytime a software update drops. This cannot continue Spooky, please fix your update process. This should be a slam dunk easy thing.
Jeff

#3945 2 years ago

You must have played a number of modes to qualify JOL multi at the scoop. When you shot the scoop the mode started automatically. That’s intentional.

Not sure if this matters. I finished sanitarium. started but failed to complete counting bodies and stalker mode. The jack-o-lantern lit and it started the jack-o-lantern multiball when I shot the pumpkin so I got to hear don't fear the reaper. Was not a selectable mode, just a lit shot and started.

#3946 2 years ago

You’re acting like a child. Email Fawzma. Posting on pinside isn’t gonna fix your problem.

Quoted from jeffro01:

Awesome, that helps me today oh so much...
FWIW, got help to go back to 1.05 which went fine, tried to come up to 1.06 again, same problem. Super fast "update" then an endless boot loop. Guess I don't get to update to 1.06.
Jeff

#3959 2 years ago

My sentiments exactly.

Quoted from Flash71:

Not trying to insult or be “mean” I just don’t like seeing the Spooky team get beat up for someone else’s error that’s all.

#3960 2 years ago

Oh…we’ve read your other posts. Lmao, not a great defense with a ratio that low.

Quoted from jeffro01:

What the hell are you talking about? Did you not read my review, have you not read my other posts? I think you have me confused with someone else... Also, stop with the condescension and insults, I did nothing to deserve this crap.
Again, JFC...
Jeff

922A2A52-2F77-4A37-9805-FBFCE83494D3 (resized).jpeg922A2A52-2F77-4A37-9805-FBFCE83494D3 (resized).jpeg
#3978 2 years ago

People were coming after you because you were throwing a hissy fit, criticizing Spooky, being a defeatist and being rude to other Pinsiders attempting to shed some light on the issue, not simply because you were having a technical issue. Hope that clears things up for you.

Quoted from jeffro01:

Totally understand. These things happen. Could it be my USB stick? Absolutely but it's the only one I have that meets the size requirements and it works for the full image process so it's no biggy to wait for the full 1.06 image.
Jeff

#3997 2 years ago

No, you just have to play three modes

Quoted from JesseJames23:

Do you have to successfully complete 3 modes to get to the don’t fear the reaper? If so… I’ll never get it haha.

#4000 2 years ago

You’re welcome

Quoted from jeffro01:

We are now on 1.06. Thank you to Spooky for your help and to those who provided me suggestions. Ended up using a completely different PC/download and that seemed to correct it using the USB port directly on the game.
Jeff

#4131 2 years ago

Anyone have video of Pumpkin multi with ‘don’t fear the reaper’? Dying to see this.

#4133 2 years ago

Ahhhh didn’t think about that. Must have missed it in bug stream, thanks!

Quoted from Frax:

They showed it in the stream they did before the code was released, briefly. Sound levels were kinda poopy, but it'll probably keep them from getting a copyright strike on Youtube lol.

#4166 2 years ago

TPN took a sizable dump on HWN, yikes. I will say that it didn’t seem like he knew the rules or understood the shots, was confused by it and then just wrote it off entirely. I wish people would hold off critism until they at least put a bit of time in to understand the game. Puts me in mind of reactions to TSPP…the only people who hate just don’t get it. They never bothered to scratch the surface. Oh well.

#4170 2 years ago

He played it on location, that’s the other thing

Quoted from dnaman:

With 1.06 I think that it is coming along beautifully so I agree, people should wait it out but they must have money to burn. Good for the buyer though.

#4172 2 years ago

Most recent episode. From Wednesday I believe

Quoted from blastbeat:

Curious where you heard or read that? Totally believe you just would like to listen/read etc. I listen to a lot of TPN podcasts but not all. Thanks!!

#4201 2 years ago

Haha mine is going on location as well, i just think he may have enjoyed it more without distractions from friends and the 140 other pins. Sounds like he and his non pinball freind played one two player game, got confused and just bailed on it.

Quoted from Porkfritter:

CE #14 and our location would like to have a word with you sir. . . and the first few games are on me to show you we are doing her justice!
but I know what you are getting to!

#4215 2 years ago

Petition to change the name of “Jackolantern multiball” to something cool like “Reaper Multiball”….add an animation of Laurie and her friend driving the car around smoking a joint would be cool too. I feel like these changes would help make the song and mode feel congruent and will help break things up by making you feel like you’ve earned entry into a vastly different portion of the game. Will make a huge difference to have moments in the game that are not completely drenched in dread. The film works because it takes you in and out of those moments. The pin could do the same with great success. Still would love to see a “Midnight Stabness” mode too that only happens if you are playing at exactly midnight.

#4239 2 years ago

Pop one out and look at it.

Quoted from DrainoCity:

Could someone please tell me what type of fuses go on the board? A couple of mine have blown but I cannot find a manual for a part number. If anyone knows where I can get them I would greatly appreciate a link.

1 week later
#4460 2 years ago

How does it earn in comparison to your other pins? Guests like it?

Quoted from Tsskinne:

We have had ours on location since last September I think now and outside of stuck balls (which I think we have finally resolved) and the occasional spring detach on the upper playfield balcony ramp the game has held up great. The latest code has made it a big difference in the game play, looking forward to the next update.

#4484 2 years ago

Iron Maiden is a masterpiece. Spend some more time on it. I honestly think it’s the greatest pins of all time. Would make a great companion to HWN

Quoted from CursedFrogurt:

Mine arrived 2/25 (#209) and I'm a complete novice. I got it set up, leveled as best I could, and made one small adjustment. My GF and I have played daily since it got here and we're nowhere near tired of it. I'm lousy at the shots and a few modes feel nearly impossible. But the challenge is rewarding when you finally do clear one. My high score is an embarrassing 32 million but I'm
The main problem now is that it makes me want another machine but there's nothing out there that I've enjoyed playing as much. Iron Maiden has great music but the gameplay doesn't feel nearly as polished. Godzilla is probably the next most 'fun' that I've played.

#4499 2 years ago

It’s a mini screen apron mod

Quoted from dnapac:

Whoa…explain what I’m seeing. It seems the display is showing up on an lcd mounted on the apron.

#4517 2 years ago

Kaneda at TPF. Douche.

A520968C-A294-4D05-8EBB-F755A8381558 (resized).pngA520968C-A294-4D05-8EBB-F755A8381558 (resized).png
#4521 2 years ago

You gonna buy one from him? He’s selling them.

Quoted from lpeters82:

Na...that's a great shit.

#4524 2 years ago

I’ll believe it when I see it. Nothing like trolling your own brand.

Quoted from lpeters82:

Sure, we'll trade him some Spooky shirts for them. I'll even wear it to the TWIPYS.

#4540 2 years ago

350 million is low on GZ

It’s weird to see low GC scores on a pin. I get 350 million on Godzilla and I still suck lol.

#4605 2 years ago

What’s the word on next code update? Anyone hear anything about the new animation company’s additions?

#4707 2 years ago

All over Facebook too. If there were a Twipy for “most tenacious troll” he would win hands down. He’d also win “most butthurt flipper”

Quoted from djsolzs:

Seen him in other threads recently stirring up shit - guess it’s fun for him

#4719 2 years ago

I can see them now, GRINDING ON CODE…never sleeping. Lines and lines and lines…of code. Not those lines. But they may also help in staying awake haha.

Quoted from Bobbydevil:

Spooky has to start sending out machines again before people can start bitching again

#4840 2 years ago

This is big news. Can’t wait to see what the new animation company brings. I DO hope that Spooky keeps the majority of the work that nightmutilator did on the game because outside of a few small things I liked most of what he did. The animations were simple but the illustrations are good and the color palette and atmosphere is great.

Quoted from monitorpop:

Officially “game over” on production duties for the original animator (NightMutilator):
https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/nightmutilator/stories/working-in-pinball-a-reflection

#4842 2 years ago

I think the licensor is most particular about the use of film clips but they have also been said to be very slow on approval. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were more nightmutilator animations yet to be included. But yeah…500 hours, could be an exaggeration….maybe not. All I’m sure about is I’m glad I didn’t buy Ultraman haha

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I don’t know anything about modern animating, but to hear that 500 hours were put in is very surprising.
Maybe it takes thousands of hours to do more complex animations nowadays, but back when I was doing Flash animating, what I’ve seen on the game would have taken me maybe 2 days. I’m not trashing the guy, I thought his art was good, and the general atmosphere - but 500 hours? Maybe the licensor (is it JC or the Akkads?) was super specific about what they would approve and constant revisions were required.

#4849 2 years ago

It’ll get there I think. I’m mainly just cracking wise about what is goin on with spot prices on UM. Although honestly I do the think the success of Godzilla may affect the lens that UM is viewed through for years

Quoted from tp:

OK.
Ultramans gonna rock just like hwn! You must've been
Smoking that turbonator stuff. Try some chemdog it'll straighten your brain back out.
#471 spooky direct. paid.

#4851 2 years ago

In the most recent Spooky stream they said that the new animation company would be working on Um and Halloween. Hope that wasn’t another “Bowen is consulting” situation.

Quoted from djsolzs:

I was told this IS/WAS the case and that other animators were considered and presented but not approved.

#4853 2 years ago

Fingers crossed that the Akkads are feeling flexible. Really looking forward to seeing some new Halloween animations.

Quoted from SpookyLuke:

That is correct we do have another studio that has completed a bunch of new really top tier stuff for Ultraman and we have already agreed with them that they will be doing some neat stuff for Halloween next. Yes, the animations when complete do have to be approved.

#4916 2 years ago

I hope spooky adjusted the guide rail on these 100+ builds going out the door. If the ball is rolling past that switch entirely on a direct shot then that is bad design. You’re definitely not the only person who’s had this problem.

Quoted from John_C:

OK, just figured out the issue I am having with "Death in the Drivers Seat."
There are two switches in that outer orbit, one on the right side under the sanitarium playfield (SW37), and one on the left under the left ramp (SW48). In order for a right orbit shot to register during Death in the Drivers Seat, SW37 has to trigger followed by a trigger of SW48. And vice versa, for a left orbit short to register, SW48 has to fire followed by SW37.
In my case, its the left orbit switch (SW48) that is failing to register intermittently. I was able to confirm this during switch testing. If the ball is moving fast enough through that orbit, it hugs the outside guide wall all the way around and bypasses the left orbit switch completely.
Looking at the switch, it appears it is too close to the inside guide wall, resulting in that switch getting missed during those high-speed orbits. Worse, I don't see any way to make any adjustments to that switch or that guide wall in order to force the ball to actuate the switch every time it flies past.
What can I do?
[quoted image]

#4955 2 years ago

Got some time on #7 today at Jackbar. Challenging game, flippers felt the closest to a 90’ B/W I’ve ever felt on a modern pin. The positives outweigh the negatives. Code and additional assets can make this game a top 20.

0C918495-DA2F-445B-94EF-CD8B07CEB6EF (resized).jpeg0C918495-DA2F-445B-94EF-CD8B07CEB6EF (resized).jpeg
#4990 2 years ago

It gets worse.

7163C7A6-BA9D-4FC2-B7F1-50340F461813 (resized).png7163C7A6-BA9D-4FC2-B7F1-50340F461813 (resized).png
#5013 2 years ago

Takes the titties out.

Quoted from Mundy53:

Anyone know what the Adult Mode setting in the adjustments actually changes? Can’t seem to find it written anywhere.

#5022 2 years ago

Just be yourself.

Quoted from Mundy53:

Well how to you get to the titties then? Haven’t seen them yet.

#5037 2 years ago

#7 at Jackbar is fully black on the ends of the lockdown bar and half of the face of the pumpkin around the flipper buttons. This most definitely needs to be addressed. I don’t want to put this game at my location because of this. You think the next buyer down the line would want to buy a game that looks like it’s been to hell and back?

Quoted from John_C:

I don't think its oxidation. Having been watching mine closely as it progressed, what seems to happen first is the clear coat comes off. Not sure if its the oils from my skin or some other reason, but the clear coat breaks down to the point that it scrapes off with your finger nail. This exposes the gold layer underneath, which then appears to undergo some kind of chemical reaction as it slowly grows darker and darker until its almost black.
I've tried Dawn dish soap, Simple Green, and other cleaners and they do nothing to fix it other than making the area more shiny. I have not yet tried using any sort of automotive paint cutting / polishing compound for fear of damaging the powder coating even worse.[quoted image]

#5042 2 years ago

That is certainly one solution however, why would I want to pay extra for TWO sets of items that do not hold up to regular play? I’ve looked past a lot of smaller issues and I’m patient with the code but…this is unacceptable to me.

Quoted from guitarded:

I would inquire about buying a replacement set.
Then I would be having that one Clearcoated and I would put it away in the event of re-sale.

#5049 2 years ago

I don’t feel like I’m not being “nice” For the money I just don’t expect to have to invest more money in backup parts for something that should 100% hold up after thousands of plays. Personally, I’m more likely to let it wear at my location, sell as is and think twice before I order another $10k game from Spooky. That being said, I’m sure they are looking into it and it is absolutely not their fault. BUT if I were them I would be fully up the ass of my powder coat guy. Because Spooky will take the hit in future confidence…not the nameless powder coater. Just trying to be realistic.

Quoted from guitarded:

Be nice if it wasn't happening or if they found a solution.
I wouldn't think twice about buying a replacement set, myself. Especially if I planned on routing it.
But, I also have a stack of replcement PFs for my machines. I am weird like that.

#5054 2 years ago

Yes, it’s being looked into but no official solution has been presented as far as I know. The window is closing quickly on a fix for the rest of the builds especially considering that they are packing and shipping over 100 currently

Quoted from djsolzs:

Has Luke or other addresses this yet?

#5090 2 years ago

I don’t see that as viable solution for location play unfortunately. The mylar would get shitty pretty quick.

Quoted from Beechwood:

Just a thought about the wear/discoloration on the powdercoat.
Why not just apply mylar temporarily to protect the finish until a solution is realized? Seems easier than clear coating for protection.

#5100 2 years ago

My plan is…mylar the pumpkin face on the lollipops and install a plain black lockdown bar for location. It’ll look like hot piss but…it is what it is.

#5117 2 years ago

You can test the motor itself with a multimeter pretty easily since it’s entirely exposed.

Quoted from SketchyMcDuff:

Yep, topper is “on” in menu, harness connections are good, connections look good all the way through. Wondering if I got a bad motor?

#5121 2 years ago

It will only lock at the very start of each ball as skill shot.

Quoted from insight75:

Few questions....since we are talking about the topper motor....does this come on often in game play? I don't see that it comes on often. Also, the Judith ball lock. How do I know when the ball will lock in there? Sometimes it locks and sometimes it doesn't. I can't figure out when its going to happen.

#5134 2 years ago

What did they charge you for the new lockdown bar?

Quoted from jk2171:

#83 here and my lockdown bar has the discolored on the left side. Side rails seem ok. I bought a new lockdown bar from Spooky as a backup but wont put it on until the current one is toast.

#5163 2 years ago

The Leds just translate poorly on video. They actually look terrific in person.

Quoted from Zablon:

I haven't seen one in person yet, but my god those LED's make it hard to even see whats going on in the house.

#5186 2 years ago

C’mon, we all know that’s a hemorrhoid pillow.

Quoted from mrclean:

I used "Sky Mall", for this travel pillow...
[quoted image]

#5194 2 years ago

Fun! Imagine working on the game and opening an artery on this! Bleed out right in the cab…found dead days later. You’d think QC would have found something like this.

Quoted from insight75:

I just think it was fitting to find this for this title. A little blood on it would have been even cooler. Haha!
[quoted image]

#5291 2 years ago

Loosen the screws that hold down the inlane flaps. Try re-updating the code.

Quoted from tp:

Metal in inlanes not closing all the way creating ball trap.
Upper playfield flipper works in test mode, but never in game.
Anyone?

#5338 2 years ago

Yeah Spooky ought to get their powder coat guy to stand behind their work and they ought to run off a bunch at no cost. That is…if they want the continued business from Spooky.

Quoted from kciaccio:

Seems like we should get new armor or a refund to get it re-powder coated at this price point.
They took care of the ramp issues, this should be no different I would think.
Obviously I prefer replacement because going out getting powder coated is a pain in the ass but something should be done.

#5360 2 years ago

My guy….go play the game first. Also, keep in mind where you are reading this. We are all finicky nit pickers in here. Sure, there are some issues. None major, save for the powder coat thing. The game is pretty rad and very unique. We all just want the most possible out of our purchase and that is understandable. This is a very typical pinside trend: but a spot, look into every aspect of the game with a magnifying glass, take up issue, freak out, worry about code etc etc. fast forward to one year after all games are shipped and everyone has the thing BOLTED. Try shaking loose a Stranger Things or JJP Pirates…two games that pinside literally SHAT on. Big bucks, highly desired. Patience.

Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I am just losing my deposit and running fast.

#5426 1 year ago

Power cycle is the only option until they fix the bug unfortunately. This is a major concern of mine since mine is going on location.

Quoted from BriannaWu:

So, my Halloween machine is freezing like crazy, at least once a day. When it’s been sitting a while, and you start a game this happens.
I wrote Spooky today asking for help and didn’t get a response. Do any of you have any ideas? Seems electrical in nature.

#5430 1 year ago

It’s gonna kill at my location. Lots of horror fans and metalheads around here. I’ll just tell the staff to power cycle it twice a day and I’ll do some stuck ball trap prevention. Didn’t seem like the HWN I played at Jackbar had any problems other than the powder coat thing. Played great actually. Anyway…I’m sure it’ll be addressed in future code

Quoted from BriannaWu:

I don’t see any way this game could be playable on location in my opinion.

#5432 1 year ago

So…the game is just sitting dead? Isn’t it under some kind of warranty from Spooky? Why would they not be able to replace the part especially since they are currently producing the game?

Quoted from Morgoth00:

Our local location did great, big earnings, used it in the tourney weekly and it worked perfect. But a node burnt out and nobody has any in stock

#5437 1 year ago

Well, luckily I live right down the street from my location. I have all brand new Sterns there now that are headache free. So if I have one game in the lineup that I think is cool and I need to spend a bit more time with well…I can live with that.

Quoted from BriannaWu:

I mean, I bought mine because I played it at Arcade monsters and freaking loved it. Then I kept driving back to play it every day. It’s a fantastic game.
Just saying it’s not a super reliable machine. I’m not even talking about the power cycling - Balls stuck, infinite multiball bugs. I just think a lot would go wrong.

#5438 1 year ago

Because coding takes an eternity in general.

Quoted from musketd:

Why is it taking SPOOKY so LONG to come out with new code for this game if it is so jacked up?

#5447 1 year ago

Yes, I did have it listed. I’ve just decided to receive the game and to deal with the issues after having spent more time playing the game last week. I’m not saying that I don’t still have concerns or that others shouldn’t. I actually just enjoyed playing the game, would like to play it more and I know some of my guests are really excited to play it as well. But believe it when I say if I am truly unhappy with what I receive you’ll read about it here. #7 at Jackbar played great with no issue over the course of twenty straight games and it was a very early build so I’m hoping the negativity is just the typical pinside vocal minority situation.

Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Didn't you have your spot listed for sale out of concerns about reliability? Or did you have multiple preorder spots? You are hyping and defending this game a lot for someone who was ready to pull the plug themselves not long ago. I think many of the concerns about build quality are valid. If I get a game with a jacked up cabinet, sloppy decals, disappearing powder coat, out of square pf glass, drifting servos, an impossible scoop, a misaligned ramp diverter, misaligned drop targets, burned out LED strips and the need to climb under the playfield every few games, I can't say I'll be thrilled. I do realize some arrive nearly perfect, but I am burned out with NIB lottery fatigue.

#5448 1 year ago

PIZZA J !
967 Westminster St
Providence, RI

We’re got STH JP DP GZ TMNT AIQ GOTG Rush and Mando. All clean and playing very well, come on down and check it out. Great food and excellent beer program!

Also,

-NEPL ( New England pinball league)
starts up Sunday May 8th 6pm
-Belles and Chimes women’s leagues meets every second Tuesday 6pm
-CRAP league (Connecticut and RI area pinball haha) begins in July on Monday nights.

Quoted from BriannaWu:

You’re in Rhode Island? I’m in Dedham, MA, so you’re just 20 minutes away! Which location is yours, if you don’t mind me asking. Maybe Frank and I will drop by!

E2D41EB0-6225-46A7-94D8-8C64E7DD0A7A (resized).jpegE2D41EB0-6225-46A7-94D8-8C64E7DD0A7A (resized).jpeg

#5450 1 year ago

Haha exactly, we used to have RIP (Rhode Island Pinball) but the champions kept dying of mysterious causes. So we retired the league on account of…CURSED!

Edit: check out the championship belt and trophies from CRAP haha….big ol’ crap splat!

Quoted from lancestorm:

This name really limits the league champion from gloating too much about the win haha! Love it.

078F2162-24D8-4D12-97B3-0282AF34DB37 (resized).jpeg078F2162-24D8-4D12-97B3-0282AF34DB37 (resized).jpeg3F467490-51E9-4213-B7AE-7D85C1AC78A4 (resized).jpeg3F467490-51E9-4213-B7AE-7D85C1AC78A4 (resized).jpeg
#5490 1 year ago

I would bet that the reason they are quiet is they are busting ass on code and a solution for the powder coat. Spooky has a long record of making it right and I don’t think it will stop with this game.

Quoted from radfordian3505:

I'm gonna put in a claim this afternoon and will post pictures but sure does not look promising as I see others saying they are not responding to them and they sure have been quiet here lately. Just sucks as this is a truly keeper game for me. And may just rip all the trim off and do a different color powdercoat like orange.

#5514 1 year ago

Watch the Documentary!

https://vimeo.com/213474512

Quoted from BriannaWu:

And now I get to fight the Wikipedia editors. Need to flesh this out. We’ll get it there.
Y’all, there is precious little out there about Spooky. SpookyLuke and SpookyBug, you need to do more press about your games!
Anything fellow Pinsiders can point me to showing the history of Spooky or coverage of the games would be appreciated.

#5520 1 year ago

You have to beat the mode to see it. Youre prob too busy trying too peep titties to complete the mode successfully haha.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Huh...I've been looking for it in Bob & Linda and haven;t seen it yet. Probably another mode running screwing things up per usual.

#5532 1 year ago

You actually cannot delete posts in here. You have to edit the post and replace with /deleted

Again I apologize. I did a forum search and it wasn’t there. I jumped the gun and deleted my post a few seconds after I found my poll post.

#5606 1 year ago

You can always just ask Spooky to move you to the back of the line.

Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Well I am putting in my final payment tomorrow. Hoping I’ll love this game.

#5638 1 year ago

Yikes, do you have an earlier build or a more current number?

Quoted from frankmac:

Yes , Bad is when smoke fills under the glass. Never had a pin do that before.
[quoted image]

#5728 1 year ago

DARK?!? It’s Halloween…pinstadiums would likely suck all the vibe out and slam dunk it into the toilet. This games lighting is one of its strong points for sure.

Quoted from mthirkell:

I'm still waiting at 1067 (or something) - is this game dark? Anyone using pin stadiums? Any other suggestions?

#5777 1 year ago

Oooo 4,5 and 6 are siiiiiick!

Quoted from Mudflaps:

Enjoy some less-TMI cards! DropBox folder link attached.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pu34poo2xf58p35/AAC9ZxHHXom8Dgc2ox5Nm9oKa?dl=0
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

#5846 1 year ago

What’s the highest number game that’s been invoiced currently? Trying to figure out when I need to pay haha

#5850 1 year ago

Twonatarium. What’s the prob?

Quoted from TheLaw:

The code is a big issue that needs to get worked on
[quoted image]
Use your words...or letters i guess

#5914 1 year ago

1 day till the Top 100 updates. Go leave an honest review for the game if you havnt already!

#5933 1 year ago
790C29AD-58B7-4B18-8352-98008885E623 (resized).png790C29AD-58B7-4B18-8352-98008885E623 (resized).png
#5934 1 year ago

I love that I literally watched a stream of these guys playing Halloween, visibly enjoying it and having some genuine positive reactions. Then they sit down in front of a mic and trash it and admit neither of them HAVE EVER SEEN THE F’n MOVIE. Nah. “ohhh I only LOOKED like I was having fun because I had too many beers”. So dumb.

#5936 1 year ago

I’m gonna pee in this guys cereal.

Quoted from manadams:

Nick claimed he was drinking too much that caused him to not hate it, basically a Stern shill from what I gathered saying it's the only company deserving of people's money while complaining about issues with his Rush pin.

#5942 1 year ago

You can literally HEAR and SEE the tilt warnings IN the stream haha.

Quoted from TheLaw:

No sounds for tilt warnings? Wonder what code they were playing?
They have some fair points though, but just because someone have a webcam doesn't make their opinions any more valuable

#5964 1 year ago

This code update with the hedge hurry mode finish and the wizard mode is very promising. Boogeyman looks like a blast! The biggest thing I hope to see in this game is to code in some BIG moments where you’ve really achieved something in the game. Mainly Jack o Lantern and Boogeyman. Like when you lock that last ball and the knocker pops like a gun…THATS SICK. More of that type of shit in the future throughout the rest of the game I hope. I’d love to see the game go dark and have some fanfare like Scared Stiff Stiff o meter final shot. Maybe program the flippers to snap to the rhythm of the Silver shamrock song as a slick homage. Or whatever…those big achievements deserve some loooong programming hours to help make them feel special. That being said THIS is the code update that is going to start to turn the tide on this game. Great job Spooky!

#5968 1 year ago

This exact attract mode cycle would be excellent for HWN too. Have the ol’ creeping through the house footage come up with some eerie music have the topper stab one time like the game is f’n haunted.

Quoted from DeathHimself:

Yeah I don't recall the game doing any spontaneous sounds on it's own at all, unlike Sterns and Willams Bally. I know R&M after x amount of loops would play a video sequence if you had it enabled in the settings.

#5986 1 year ago

Can we get some more functionality out of the Sanitarium Playfield? It would REALLY help the game to add some clever features here since the ball ends up there so much. How about:

- Drop target thru shot for mode add time
- 100 standup target hits for extra ball
- Bonus X mode scoring for backhand reverse shots out of the Sanitarium. Call it “escape x” or something cool.
- progressive mystery awards for all target hits. 20 (1x playfield) 40 (2 x playfield) 60 (2 blood drops) 80 (award all shots in mode) 100 (extra ball)
- Hedge add a ball for successfully dropping target and shooting through during multi.

SpookyDJ we gonna see that “midnight stabness” mode we talked about? Haha

#5992 1 year ago

It is crucial that more feature be added to the sanitarium as its basically a catch all and the ball ends up there repeatedly with no real reason to stay. That playfield could be a score boosting zone with the features I suggested above

Quoted from damadczar:

Really like all these. That sanitarium pf seems so under utilized.

#6017 1 year ago

Someone earlier in this thread has replaced the scoop hood to great success. I guess the problem was that the ball was being rejected instead of being forced down into the hole on impact. Think they used an older Bally style hood. Search the thread I’m sure you’ll find it.

Quoted from movingpictures:

Anyone have some advice on how to adjust the pumpkin scoop properly?
I've tried bending, deadening foam, etc.
It's impossible to hit from either flipper.
Only way in is from the upper playfield.

#6086 1 year ago

Got the email for #690!!! They must really be cooking over there. What’s the general turnaround from butter email to shipment?

#6096 1 year ago

So…back to the subject of increased functionality of the Sanitarium playfield. Anyone else think (that in addition to the features I mentioned earlier) that when you are IN house mode there should be a second chance hurry up for a final shot to start the House Multi? Since it feels a bit choppy to try and crack that upper ramp, miss, drain to sanitarium over and over (as seen on Bugs most recent stream and I’m sure 99’9% will never pop that on the first shot haha)

What if there were a:

‘Back door entrance hurry up’

- After you deplete Michaels health completely and the house drop target is down. If you drain to the Sanitarium a hurry up will be lit. 5 seconds to drop the target and hit the thru shot. Might be kinda cool with a callout and special light show that gets your heart racing.

“Hurry up, there’s still time! Get to the back door!”

Maybe all the lights dim except for Sanitarium pulsing all red.

Just a thought. Might make the gameplay feel a little more open and less choppy. Maybe the score awarded for hitting the back door is less and the jackpots are slashed in mode. Kind of a risk reward thing where if you get frustrated you can cheap out and pull a sneaky.
45B2A913-9915-4078-88EE-71480D4C235E (resized).jpeg45B2A913-9915-4078-88EE-71480D4C235E (resized).jpeg

#6108 1 year ago

You should not own pinball machines if you’re unwilling to learn how to maintain/ troubleshoot them. I have had issues with every single pinball machine I’ve ever owned NIB or otherwise. In fact i just spent about three hours tracing a bad ground connection on Deadpool. Had to go in and reflow all the joints on the ground daisy because whoever did it in the factory was an ass clown. Anyway, There is A LOT in this game. More STUFF more problems. That’s the nature of the pinball. It’s wonderful and it sucks depending on the day.

Check the solder joints on the topper motor and reflow if necessary. Trace the wires into the harness and make sure nothing has become disconnected. Do the same with the Pumpkin.

Quoted from Randyc:

#413 I have had problems from the beginning with the pumpkin not lighting, AJ sent replacement pumpkin and that one not working also. They are now sending replacement large red board. Meanwhile the topper stopped working and I tore the side art on left side 1 1/2" and slightly crunched on right when play field was lift up somehow. I'm not a pinball technician and never had any problems with others purchased new. Most likely will have to add Pinstadium to hide side art damage. Anyone recommend what is the best Pinstadium choice. Also would love to sell this for $9k taking a loss.

#6111 1 year ago

#690 non butter invoice paid! Now…how long till it shows up on my door step? Any estimates?

#6114 1 year ago

One day till the pinside top 100 recalculates! Still time to get in an honest review of the game at current code. HWN is sitting at 69…which is noice! but I think it deserves better personally.

#6117 1 year ago

What’s the sidewalk sticker? Don’t think I’ve seen that yet. Got a pic?

Quoted from pinmister:

That's really cool getting her involved and it looks like she does great work. Kudos to her
I am on the list for the house mod and am looking forward to getting it
Got my sidewalk sticker installed and it was interesting finding the best way to apply and trim. I ended up cutting up a peice of scratch paper to replicate ramp the best I could then trimming sticker to match.

#6125 1 year ago

Siiiiiiiick!

Quoted from SpookyLuke:

I am pretty sure Bug cleared yours on Thursday so I would expect it to be in a box early next week!

#6127 1 year ago

That’s why I suggested leaving an honest review. The backlash seems to always happen after a series BS “this is the greatest game ever 10.00” type reviews

Quoted from pinballmike150:

I agree with you that Halloween should be ranked higher.
Unfortunately, you are always going to have some pinsiders who like to rate the game a 5 to bring it down in the ratings, https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/halloween-collectors-edition/ratings?filter_sort=date-desc&filter_show=all&filter_owners=none&filter_bogus=0&filter_query=#ratingcomments. Conveniently, they leave no explanation for their poor review.

#6165 1 year ago

#690 is on a truck heading my way just one business day after paying my invoice! Can’t wait to dig into this game! Anyone have info on the size of the box and width of head? Want to make sure it fits through my doorways haha

#6202 1 year ago

He said his lungs were f’d up from COVID not 2k. Let’s move on please.

Well you must not have had it on well or had a bad respirator. If done properly your not going to get messed up lungs from one spray unless you took it off in an enclosed space and it didn’t air out. Sorry but I don’t believe it. You have other lung issues.
People with normal lungs and using a respirator in a ventilated open area outside will not screw up their lungs. I have been using spray paint since the 70’s when we didn’t have all these OSHA standards and my dad brought home asbestos from work and his lungs were not shot.
I also went to school with asbestos and lead paint. If you want to buy an air fed respirator then do it for yourself but do not tell people they should use one. If it was needed the directions would state it.
So you ARE spreading disinformation and can live in fear post covid.

#6207 1 year ago

Upvote if you’d like a Bowen PAPA tutorial stream on Halloween after the NEXT code update. Cause…I’ll make it happen. Better start prooooogrammin’

#6222 1 year ago

Has anyone experimented with different types of flipper bands for the upper playfields? Low bounce, High bounce, competition bands? Thin ones thick ones? I think I’m going to try the thinner low bounce titans on both. I think it may help with control in a confined space. The only other games I’ve put them on were Stranger Things and TMNT because they are such bouncy games with gaping outlanes.

#6241 1 year ago

#690 in the driveway and no one around to help me move it up four steps. Kill me now.

#6246 1 year ago

Well…I got it in. Set it up and….

Either I got the best build on the planet or someone at Spooky likes me. Game plays phenomenal, no issues!

Great game SpookyBug spooky_dj and the whole crew! Anyone doubting Halloween at this point is out of their gourd. With more bug fixes, polish and AV additions / light editing this game will go from pariah to MARIAH. Nothing like it on the planet!

1FBA21F1-B328-4742-9E48-974841B0C63E (resized).jpeg1FBA21F1-B328-4742-9E48-974841B0C63E (resized).jpeg
#6249 1 year ago

Has anyone started a Tilt Forums Halloween rule sheet?

#6253 1 year ago

If this game need ONE THING….

Saved progression for the health meters in House mode.

I pray thee.

This is a REAL SLOG otherwise.

It really is an absolute must IMO and I also believe that this is the SOLE reason that people claim that this game is “not fun”

( IT IS FUN! )

But honestly, it’s not super fun to grind out House, fail. Restart from zero, grind it out again, get timed out. Restart from zero, grind it out, tilt etc etc. Its so maddening that I found myself obsessing over it and not playing any of the other modes. It kinda creates a black hole in the game.

If saved progression makes qualifying House Attack too easy then just make the second pass require more spins to kill MM.

Please god let this be in a future update.

Otherwise, the rest of the game is a MEGA BLAST. Loving it!!!

The modes are fantastic and I have the most fun when I’m playing to complete those instead of grinding house ad nauseam. Let ‘house attack’ be something you can progress through over the course of three balls. That is the way, and the light. Thanks for reading!

#6256 1 year ago

Yes haha I wouldn’t have bought it otherwise, but the game could be greatly improved with this one small adjustment. I think it’s critical.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Wait,...you like IT?!?!

#6259 1 year ago

Could be the case but I still think it would make the overall gameplay better to have saved progress in Michael’s health as well as subway timer pause. I can’t imagine that these won’t be implemented in the future as it seems kind of obvious.

I also think qualifying shots to light house should be paused while you are in another mode. Otherwise you are just lighting House over and over and it takes AV precedence over the other active modes.

Also…the ‘10 seconds’ ‘5 seconds callout are better utilized in house mode as its counting down. That’s the REAL hurry up haha. The blood target countdown should be blood drop on the screen with a counter inside. Basically you always have blood running so hearing the callout over and over is a bit pointless as it’s definitely not as important as the other aspects of the game.

Quoted from monitorpop:

You just need more practice on the upper playfield.

#6262 1 year ago

Try replacing with a slightly higher amperage fuse. If that blows, Call em!

Quoted from Pinballer31520:

Halloween beeps blowing the middle fuse on the left row of fuses . 3v Solenoid switch . Spooky unusually slow to respond . Don’t see any bad wires . Any suggestions ?

#6267 1 year ago

Maybe I just need to wax it or make some switch adjustment. It takes me about three super hard butt pretzel loops to almost kill MM. Is that normal?

Quoted from metallik:

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. For me, house is the easiest mode to finish. That 127M game I finished house ASAP but struggled to get the other two main mode SJPs. I can usually finish house every game, no change needed here IMHO. Once you learn the buttpretzel it's not too hard.

Yeah that'd be cool. For all timers, not just house.

#6269 1 year ago

And you can get all of those including the ramp shot in 60 seconds regularly? I’ve done it 3 times in 45 games and I’m a good player.

Quoted from Pinash:

My machine seems to take 7ish individual spinner rips, or 4-5 pretzels. I’ll have to check the spinner switches

#6273 1 year ago

Interesting, pretty sure my timer runs from mode start to finish regardless of where the ball is.

Quoted from Calfdemon:

If I'm not mistaken, the timer only counts down when you are not on the upper PF. When you are up there, you have unlimited time. I could be wrong as Im not looking at the screen when playing but that's about observation my wife made. She said it didn't count down as long as I am up there. And I know I have been in house mode a lot longer than 60 seconds before.

#6290 1 year ago

That’s what happens on mine 9/10 times…if it rolls slowly past the left spinner that’s it. Slow crawl to the drain. Also, one good buttpretzle hardly ever brings the ball back to the flipper. Any suggestions on how to better set this playfield up would be great.

Quoted from KSP1138:

I killed her once just to see what would happen
I've made a few adjustments to my upper playfield, but I'd say 1 of out 5 times the ball will take an odd bounce going in there and immediately drain to the sanitarium before I can even get a flipper on it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinned Out Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 63.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hastings, MN
Machine - For Sale
North Aurora, IL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Monson, MA
Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
585 posts in this topic match your search for posts by mpdpvdpin. You are on page 1 of 3.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mpdpvdpin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/halloween-owners-threadhes-coming-home?tu=mpdpvdpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.