20240405_232130 (resized).JPG
IMG_1506 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3494 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6888 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6889 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-03-22 205639 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

15 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2369 Upper playfield adjustment video. Posted by lpeters82 (2 years ago)

Post #3112 Upper playfield adjustment video Posted by spandol (2 years ago)

Post #3319 TECH: DISPLAY. LCD settings so blacks look better. Posted by manadams (2 years ago)

Post #3394 Stock LCD Display - alternate settings Posted by Mad_Dog_Coin_Op (2 years ago)

Post #4163 How to square a cabinet. Posted by rotordave (2 years ago)

Post #4472 Please Read - re order numbers and order of manufacture. Posted by rotordave (2 years ago)

Post #5620 Porting the cabinet to stop bass rattle Posted by rotordave (1 year ago)

Post #5659 Mudflaps Custom Cards #1 Posted by Mudflaps (1 year ago)

Post #5776 Mudflaps Apron Card bonanza! Posted by Mudflaps (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider damadczar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#813 2 years ago

I love Spooky as much as everyone here (HWN CE on order myself), but issues like this are partially of their own design.

Most people look at Stern and expect a pinball machine to spring to life fully formed with code and assets like Athena from the head of Zeus.

Spooky's model is more like watching a crew build a Frank Lloyd Wright building. Lots of WTFs and confusion, excitement and disappointment, until the final product takes shape and you can see what it actually is. So you have to be prepared to swing with the highs and the lows.

I never expected folks like Bowen or Scott (or even Eric) to be there full time. I always assumed they were "contracting" for the lifetime of a given game, since that's how Spooky does things, one game at a time. So he's not "contracted" for this game.

It's okay if they choose not to take his advice, as not every game needs to play like a tournament game say, and that's fine.

The only thing that concerns me is that Bowen says, "I no longer work with Spooky". Does that imply "bad blood" or something? That's my only real concern. If Spooky cannot retain proven talent over time (Scott, Bowen, Eric), then that's a real problem. I'm not suggesting they haven't, as folks might come back for contract games in the future. The thing is we just don't know.

So I don't think it's worth freaking out about just yet. Give it time and let's see what the building looks like when it's done.

2 months later
#2426 2 years ago
Quoted from Lopa:

every modern pinball machine is held together with zip ties.

^^ This. Hell, the wiring on my TZ is zip-tied to the plastic ramp on the right side. Sometimes, you just gotta do that.
That being said, I do like stability of components, and the wiring on that TZ ramp is super tight. Are the LED light strings that are zip-tied tight and stable, or wobbly? If they're wobbly, then that's bad.

1 month later
#3615 2 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

I'm stuck in the middle honestly. At first I was 100% this needs staging (why I added the optos needed for it). Now though as the mode stacking and multiballs progress I've learned that it's actually so nice to have a little delay. Knowing I can tuck a couple balls into the subway and then go for a super jackpot or a hard to hit shot like the right orbit is great. I also think as now more and more modes include all 3 levels it's nice to know it's not insta flying out at you while your trying to play other balls on the tip levels. I see both sides. I think we need to get staging in at some point regardless just to see how it goes over if nothing else.
Overall I would just say I have really enjoyed learning about what is important to some people in a game vs others. Like some people don't care if there are only 6 modes they just want them fun and perfectly polished. Other people don't want us to worry about perfecting until we get 15 modes in the game. Some people would rather have ball staging than a wizard mode etc. Always something to be learned.

The best part about programming is that you can have both. Once staging is programmed and working flawlessly, simply have an option in the menu to enable/disable the feature. Everyone can do what they want.

3 weeks later
#4406 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I've watched how you were addressing the issue, and several on here nailed the culprit. Strictly speaking for myself, with the intent of helping others, as I love this game, Spooky rocks, and possibly clarifying would help others find what I did....
EMI - electromagnetic interference (noise)
Induced voltage - can be transmitted OR received depending on what the intent is by creating a coil or in this case a loop to amplify the desired result.
While both have similarities, the resulting effects are generally different.
In this case, the servo motor wiring UNDER the playfield have managed in some cases to create an effective inductive loop (due to overall length and parallel nature underneath). When this happens, it's not noise, but rather an induced voltage (from whatever) that it picks up. That small voltage is then "seen" by a Michael but only briefly, hence the creep. Also explains why there are many games that don't even experience it. Servo is simply getting induced voltage at random times, and energizes. Completely random, Michaels behave differently, with the exception as #1 always seems to be the worst culprit. Why? best shot of getting the full effect of the pulse, as the wiring ABOVE the playfield is parallel.
So...as others have touched on, the simplest way to "break the loop" is to go UNDER the playfield, unlace all the servo wiring (carefully, but quite easy) leaving each 3 wire servo twist in place, hanging. Once accomplished, locate an easy area under the playfield to relace, with each servo trio oriented 90 degrees from each other. The wires are long, and took me about 15 minutes to address once I figured out what was happening.
These are hand laced, again explaining why some games do it, and some don't. Simply been assembled/ laced differently. The 90 degree part actual creates rejection to any induced voltage, as opposed to amplifying it. You may have actually done it when you changed your servos and not even realized it. I had the issue, corrected, replicated, and corrected using this method 3 times...enough to convince me I'd found what was happening.
Easy, but just be careful to not cut an actual wire. Secure, and done. There are several games out now dating back to WOZ where proper wireway/ lacing is very important. This is one of them.....(ferrite chokes are sort of hit or miss as they generally help w rejecting noise)
Yes, I've interacted w Spooky (quite a bit) as I went through this...again, not speaking for them, just wanted this lifted so everyone just doesn't pile on, blaming bad parts or something....this works, and hope some find it helpful.....

The real question here is if Spooky is going to be incorporating these wiring changes to new games being produced moving forward.

1 month later
#5152 1 year ago
Quoted from PedestrianWolf82:

I was reading that alot of their staff from the past has quit

Where was this printed?

#5414 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I have been one of the recent people kind of concerned about the quality control quality assurance about the pins and I do believe they are valid concerns. I will say I have played the PIN and it's going to be an amazing pin when all is said and done. It's good to have after the fact service but if the qc/qa was tightened up before the sale we wouldn't need as much service after the fact.
I'm 920 and can't wait.

I like hearing this. I've also had some concerns. I got into HWN because I've been very happy with my other Spooky pins and I'm a huge horror movie fan.

A lot of the concerns folks have had around gameplay and uninteresting code concerned me as well. Hearing from folks that say they had concerns, played it, and are now satisfied to wait makes me really happy. I'm number 761 (I think), so I'll have Halloween in summertime.

I think Spooky tends to excel on theme integration, art, callouts, all that kind of thing. I sometimes think their layouts leave something to be desired, but the rest of it really make up for it to me. My issue has been wondering if theme was enough this time to overcome some clunkiness that comes with a non-traditional layout. When you add possible QC issues on top of that, it really makes some folks question if this pin will be all we want it to be.

Overall, I'm not super super worried, and am still looking forward to getting it. But I do understand some folks concern. What I don't understand is when people vehemently start throwing shade on the process and throwing spooky under the bus and announcing doom and gloom on the whole thing. I get we all want an awesome pin. If it doesn't work out for you, just sell your spot and leave. If I ever decide to get out, I'll just sell my spot and move on. I'm not gonna start bad-mouthing Spooky. They are obviously trying to do right by their product. Regardless if they succeed in everyone's eyes, you can't fault them for trying. They truly want to make us all happy and they want us to love their pins.

#5421 1 year ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Powdercoating on my Rick and Morty BSE looks like new.
Some people have caustic sweat and it destroys metals and finishes.
Run across this a lot with guitarists.
My old man can't get more than 2-3 sessions on a set of strings before they turn. I can play on the same strings for months.

My R&M BSE (purple) and ACNC (blue) both look great as well, but they also aren't the powder coating that has the metal veins.
I'm really wondering if the metal vein either needs extra special layers to seal it in.

#5612 1 year ago
Quoted from Boat:

I have no skin in this game but it’s soldering 101 to make a physical/mechanical connection with your wire to whatever you are soldering. Ie that wire should have been threaded into the hole and looped around the lug to make a stronger connection.

You've no idea the amount of times I've seen lugs that didn't have wire wrapped around it like it should from previous repairs.... makes me crazy.

Plus, you can see this giant lump where it was originally wound around the lug from the factory, broke off for some reason or another, and somebody just soldered it on top of the previous solder+wire lump. Infuriating.

2 weeks later
#5990 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Can we get some more functionality out of the Sanitarium Playfield? It would REALLY help the game to add some clever features here since the ball ends up there so much. How about:
- Drop target thru shot for mode add time
- 100 standup target hits for extra ball
- Bonus X mode scoring for backhand reverse shots out of the Sanitarium
- progressive mystery awards for all target hits. 20 (1x playfield) 40 (2 x playfield) 60 (2 blood drops) 80 (award all shots in mode) 100 (extra ball)
- Hedge add a ball for successfully dropping target and shooting through during multi.

Really like all these. That sanitarium pf seems so under utilized.

#6069 1 year ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Mine does the same when you shoot the left ramp. I much rather see them move randomly in just hedge multiball rather than every left ramp shoot. IMHO that's overuse a of cool feature.

Bug says in the video that it's a new feature they added. Likely to help reset them to avoid unnecessary "Michael creep".

I dunno, I kinda like it. I don't have my game yet so I can't speak for what it looks like while playing, but from the video I like a little bit of extra movement and action in the game while you're playing. My opinion may change once I get the machine however.

3 weeks later
#6507 1 year ago
Quoted from Newtothis:

Just got the call from Fed Ex #770 will be here Tuesday

They called me yesterday for #762 delivery today, but this morning I got a call saying the freight shipment had not arrived yet, and had to reschedule for Monday. Fingers crossed.

#6574 1 year ago

He has come home. #761. I already have some initial thoughts after about an hours worth of play. But most of my issues and criticisms have already been stated.

I will say it’s definitely fun. Not sure why folks wouldn’t like the layout.

D95F7528-D470-4111-9307-BEA6EF043AAA (resized).jpegD95F7528-D470-4111-9307-BEA6EF043AAA (resized).jpeg
#6615 1 year ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Same. I have been waiting on this and EHOH for about a year now already, which is longer than I expected at the time. I still have no idea roughly when (or in the case of Elvira, *IF*) I should expect them to be up. It kind of puts me in drawn out holding pattern.

Ha! I'm also on the EHOH *IF* train. It's a painful wait.....

1 month later
#7226 1 year ago

Great time meeting the spooky team this weekend at Souther Fried Game Expo here in the ATL. Looking forward to their next endeavor.

D824512A-F0C2-484E-B023-CC4908494C80 (resized).jpegD824512A-F0C2-484E-B023-CC4908494C80 (resized).jpeg
4 weeks later
#7979 1 year ago

I’ll say I really like the game. Horror themes are my jam and I love John Carpenter. It looks amazing.

The layout is faster than you’d think, with some depth in the modes.

All that being said, I’m just not sure it’s that fun to play over time. I get frustrated because I complete modes and want to see the videos, but because there zero places to park the ball while a video plays, I miss lots of visuals. That’s my biggest complaint. Hard to see all of Linda when I’m flailing to keep the ball in play, you know? And given the layout, not sure this can ever be fixed.

Great theme integration, beautiful pin. But man, there’s something about it that makes me not want to keep playing. I dunno.

So I get why some folks are trying to unload. I’ve got the room to hold onto it for a while and see what happens. The market is saturated with FS Halloweens, so not much of a chance to sell and not lose money. I’d trade it immediately for a Monster Bash if I could. Lol.

Great discussion though.

3 months later
#11448 1 year ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

My wife and I are pin poor right now and are trying to find a way to buy Scooby-Doo.

Can you really be “pin poor” with 10 pins at home?

#11453 1 year ago

Is the presumption that along with talking about Scooby Doo in the SPooky Thursday live stream, they will also demo new Halloween code? I hope so. Would be nice to have a visual walk through of what is new/different.

3 months later
#13384 1 year ago

Does anybody need a House + Pumpkin mod? I ordered it a while, never unboxed.

Since I'm selling Halloween, figured somebody that was still waiting for one could have mine? $225 shipped in CONUS.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

Trade
Machine - For Trade
O'fallon, MO
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinned Out Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 49.99
Machine - For Sale
Charlotte, NC
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

5,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lexington, KY
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 63.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider damadczar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/halloween-owners-threadhes-coming-home?tu=damadczar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.