IMG_2793 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2800 (resized).jpeg
20240405_232130 (resized).JPG
IMG_1506 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3494 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6888 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

15 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2369 Upper playfield adjustment video. Posted by lpeters82 (2 years ago)

Post #3112 Upper playfield adjustment video Posted by spandol (2 years ago)

Post #3319 TECH: DISPLAY. LCD settings so blacks look better. Posted by manadams (2 years ago)

Post #3394 Stock LCD Display - alternate settings Posted by Mad_Dog_Coin_Op (2 years ago)

Post #4163 How to square a cabinet. Posted by rotordave (2 years ago)

Post #4472 Please Read - re order numbers and order of manufacture. Posted by rotordave (2 years ago)

Post #5620 Porting the cabinet to stop bass rattle Posted by rotordave (1 year ago)

Post #5659 Mudflaps Custom Cards #1 Posted by Mudflaps (1 year ago)

Post #5776 Mudflaps Apron Card bonanza! Posted by Mudflaps (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcyallen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6749 1 year ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

And unlike movies today, what happened in Halloween and the way it played out was actually something possible in real life.

And it was the first real slasher movie showing a stalker that could not be killed,

I have no interest in the bickering, but reading "actually something possible in real life" and "a stalker that could not be killed" in the same post cracks me up

1 month later
#7459 1 year ago
Quoted from Oneinchbiceps:

Way I understand it is you put a toothpick in the hole on the playfield then let the flipper bat rest on top of the toothpick so it lines the flipper up then tighten it down then remove the toothpick.

Those holes are generally used two different ways: (1)The way you mentioned which is the flipper bat resting "just above" the hole. And (2)having the bat pointing directly at the hole, which would be a tad lower. It makes no sense to me to have holes in a playfield and have different pins/manufacturers use them differently, but I've seen both. Generally, I'd always just adjust the bats to be as straight as possible based on the ball path so when the ball rolls onto the flipper the path doesn't veer at all. In this particular application that's a little bit trickier.

1 week later
#7768 1 year ago

Alright, I've had my Halloween for a week and am enjoying it as much as I'd hoped! I do have some questions/comments for you all:

-When the ball drops into the bottom left hole on the middle playfield, is it supposed to trigger the Pumpkin? Mine does, and it seems odd.
-I get a decent amount of video compression artifacts/"blocking" in the video, especially on the right side of the screen. Anyone else?
-When lowering the playfield, it drops onto one of the latches AND the coin box. I have to manually manipulate both to get the playfield to drop properly. Is this part of that "Spooky Quirkiness" that everyone talks about?
-The coinbox looks like it shouldn't be there. It barely fits in there, and looks like the cabinet wasn't designed for it.

A fun game, and I'm finally getting a grasp of the code. I look forward to seeing it develop and refine more over time!

#7773 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Yea that's all correct. The video quality of the clips during initial load seems to suffer some quality compression yep.
The coinbox included barely fits where it should it feels like. It has to be exact or the rails don't properly go down, its super tight fit. I got mine in sideways to be get it to close without issue and since I don't need the coin box at home.

The video compression I'm referring to is throughout the game. A good example is at the start of Hedge Multiball, it gets blocky. I noticed it playing one on location, too. I assume it's software, but it seems really unnecessary.

#7802 1 year ago

Here's an example of the video compression I was talking about. This is a screen shot of the very first moment the video comes on. It happens every single time this (and several) scenes come on screen. It quickly sharpens up in the next few frames, but seems needless.

IMG_20220812_122402749_BURST019.jpgIMG_20220812_122402749_BURST019.jpg

#7823 1 year ago
Quoted from Sweetwillie:

Would you say that Halloween has more maintenance issues/repairs than a Stern or JJP? I’ve never owned a spooky game. Can I order direct from Spooky or are they sold out? The dealer I use is not a Spooky dealer. Anyone in Virginia or close by looking to sell? I’m on the fence w this one, but the more I see of it the more I am convinced I will like it. I’m mainly interested in a NIB. Thanks!

I'm surprised no one is saying this. Perhaps our loyalty is clouding our thinking: Spooky is known to have a lot of quirky issues. I know an operator that's been struggling to keep it running, with numerous oddball issues that keep popping up. I've heard this from numerous owners about numerous Spooky titles. After having mine for a couple weeks I can say it's head scratchingly difficult to understand how a new pin can leave the factory like mine. The playfield hits multiple things when you lower it. My back box and backglass all need to be manipulated/shifted to open and close properly. This isn't a custom mech that needs some tweaking, these are basic (and generally interchangeable) components to every pinball machine.

I love the pin, I love the company's dedication to customer service and their spirit, but "low maintenance" is not a term I've heard used to describe your typical Spooky pin.

ps - You can pick up a pre-order spot for an edition of your choice here on Pinside for a pretty good discount - I can't see any benefit to ordering from a vendor at this point.

#7841 1 year ago

I don't want this to be a "crap on Spooky" thread. All pins have problems. Spooky's pins have..."special" problems

#7959 1 year ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

And now coasterguy has his game listed for sale at a deep discount too. What is it with this game that so many people seem to talk it up when they first get it, and then a few weeks later they are taking a massive hit to get it out of their game room?? Does this game give you cancer or something? I have never seen so many abrupt flip-flops on any title before and it's discouraging. Mine is coming soon and I will definitely not be running here to gush about it the first night I have it. I will try to let the experience sink in for a while. If I think it's a turkey, I would rather wrap it in plastic and store it away like a time capsule than take a $2k+ hit on it right away.

It seems some people bought it to flip, but a LOT of people bought it for the theme. Once they get it and see how...unique...it is, they are often not caring for it despite the theme. So they're selling it. That's my best impartial observation.

If you decide it's a turkey but decide to hang onto it anyways, good luck. That's a tough technique to execute and be glad you did. It's like the pre-order guy I talked to who didn't want to take a $1800 hit on his deposit and laughed at me. Now, when he takes delivery of his $9500 NIB pin he'll take a $2k++ hit when he goes to sell it, while dealing with all the packing/unpacking hassle.

None of this is a judgement of the game. I like it, you all like it. But the pin world, as a whole, is not caring much for it. That's reflected in the current resales.

#7993 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

The “monkey sound” is the sound of a victim getting her throat slit sooo

I thought the sound was when Laurie walks into the bedroom with her friend on the bed with the tombstone over her head. Maybe we're talking about different sounds. I just watched the movie last week and thought "There it is!"

#8060 1 year ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

This sounds amazing, but not amazing enough for me to create a FB account.

But...there will be punch and pie.

#8143 1 year ago
Quoted from Oneinchbiceps:

I learned not to be loyal to particular brand years ago. You can enjoy them all. When you don't you're just missing out on other good things. Less you are working for a company all my job is as a consumer is consume and enjoy.

This is why I hold out hope for Spinal Tap, even though the first time I played Thunderbirds (knowing nothing about it) I declared "There's something reeeeally off with this game."

Trolling is self-serving. Crapping on other games is self serving. I myself am just trying to stick with the "self serving" of enjoying pinball, wherever it may be.

#8270 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Yeah, no. I pretty much say the same shit all of the time. Which is, AGAIN…you want to own pins then expect to work on them.

I think put simply: "If you want to own pins...of ANY age...be ready from day one to supply the labor to repair it. Either you're doing it, or you need to be willing to have someone else do it - paid if necessary. That's the agreement. $300 pin? Yup. $30k pin? Yup. 80 year old pin? Yup. A pin with your living room still covered in cardboard? Yup - after all, that was the agreement per the warranty from the NIB manufacturer. If you don't like that, I recommend voting with your wallet and not buying it.

Quoted from BlueRiverLore:

I've got #833 sitting in my living room with the 2 front legs on. I tried lifting the back and DAMN it's heavy so I'm waiting on my hydraulic cart so I can finish setting up the game properly.

I discovered recently you can gain a HUGE few inches off the ground by teetering the back of the cabinet up onto something. I use my 2" thick plastic tool case. It's soft so it doesn't scratch, and being able to get your fingers underneath it with the first two inches of lifting done makes a big difference. Lifting Wonka off the ground almost killed me, hence this solution.

#8272 1 year ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

I think put simply: "If you want to own pins...of ANY age...be ready from day one to supply the labor to repair it.

And to sympathize a bit: it absolutely SUCKS to be responsible for fixing a brand new $9k anything. But that's the deal.

#8283 1 year ago
Quoted from BlueRiverLore:

One area that Stern beats Spooky hands down is their inclusion of documentation. Stern provides a users manual, exploded parts list, etc. where Spooky provides nothing.

They do have three documents actually. They emailed them to me when I asked, but I believe they're also on their site but poorly labeled. Yes, a manual seems like a pretty standard ask for a complicated pinball machine. Them NOT having one available is actually a red flag to me overall.

#8296 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Is that written in the contract? Because if not it should be assumed by either party that that's the deal.

It's simply the warranty. If my new Spooky pin breaks, they'll cover the parts during the warranty period. That's it. They don't promise labor or technicians or shipping back and forth or anything else. Per their site:

Q – What is your warranty?
A – We’ll cover mechanical, wood, and electronic parts in your game for in home use for 1 year for the original owner of the game. This does not include normal stress wear parts such as rubbers, lighting, or plastics. Warranty starts when the shipping company confirms the game has arrived at your home (or immediately if you pick it up in person). Location use will be 90 days (same as those big pinball companies). We like customers that customize their games, but please understand if you’re tapping into the wiring or board somewhere, you’re doing so at your own risk and voiding your warranty.

#8308 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Not harping, but you implied doing maintenance work on a NIB pin is "part of the deal" Im asking where that part of the deal is mentioned. Your warranty info posted does not imply or explocitely lay out those terms.
Is there more that you have not posted?

This is an odd post. Everything not explicitly covered in the warranty likely won't be provided for. They don't mention labor, Snickers bars or backrubs. Therefore, not provided. Saying "Well, you didn't say you WOULDN'T provide maintenance" is a silly (to put it gently) sentiment and as someone who's been around pins...and new general consumer goods...for awhile you know this. As for "is there more that you have not posted?", wtf are you talking about?

#8331 1 year ago

Seeing as there's apparently no comprehensive rule sheet for Halloween, how can we crowd source this? I know there's the flow chart on the Spooky site, and there's going to be updates to the rules down the road, but how hard can this be? A Google Doc we all access? Or a post here that's sticky and updateable?

#8370 1 year ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Halloween apron sticker applied crooked.

Yeah that happens during shipping.

Kidding aside, I wonder how many "that happens during shipping" issues were really like that from the factory. I'd like to think they're all from shipping, but man there's an awful lot of them.

#8470 1 year ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Now, what’s the butt pretzel again? Right spinner first, which sends it to the left spinner? Or something else? My upper playfield game needs work. On both.

This is a great question. I've played three different machines and they all played differently. How is it "supposed" to be? It always feels a bit frantic and unrefined, which might be by design on account of the whole "running from the murdery guy" thing.

#8558 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Not too long ago a few games were shipped with no LEDs in the start button

I think there's zero excuse for this, but having said that I have no idea if any of the LEDs in any of my start buttons work. I just don't look or notice. Which is good I guess if I own a Spooky pin

#8620 1 year ago

Rules question: At the point right before Sanitarium Multiball starts, there are two shots lit on the middle playfield that seem meaningless - the right standup, and the upper right "headlight hole". The right standup gives minimal points and no progression, and the headlight hole does nothing more than just letting the ball drop into the bottom left hole. It seems at this point there's no reason to hit any shot - just let the ball drop to the main playfield to start Multiball. Am I missing something?

Also, if someone could post a video of the "Butt Pretzel Shot" being made, that'd be amazing. When I hit the Michael spinner, the ball rarely makes it around that tiny right orbit. Spooky said it should go around that orbit, roll off your still-raised flipper, through the other spinner, and then back to the flipper.

PXL_20220905_155114355.jpgPXL_20220905_155114355.jpg
#8626 1 year ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

The target light being lit in conjunction with the quad insert is the next shot you have to hit in Sanitarium progression…after you’ve hit the two standups and then the scoop shot behind the drop target.
Once you complete the first three shots you get the video of Michael slapping/breaking the window from on top of the car. Then the quad and right stand up are lit for next shot, which is up the trail to the right of the standup.

To be clear, this is what I (and it seems others) are experiencing:
-Hit drop target, that lights drop target
-Hit lit drop target, that lights scoop
-Hit lit scoop, that lights both standups
-Hit both lit standups, that lights scoop
-Hit lit scoop, glass shatters
-At this point, ANY shot that gets the ball off the playfield scores 1m and starts Sanitarium MB. This is my point - why are shots lit at this point if ANY shot starts MB? I can hit that lit right standup over and over but there is no progression, just some points. See attached video that I'll keep up for a short time.

(Also, by "quad" do you mean the upper right insert and hole? I'm not sure what that word means in this scenario.)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FSGFKBpWZ-x-fGFMzs6fiB6LMm7HbdSa/view?usp=sharing

#8634 1 year ago
Quoted from JesseJames23:

Here’s a pic of my upper flipper.

Nope. Not for me. I watched a video Luke from Spooky made. His looked the same. There is a link on the first page of this thread on troubleshooting this shot

They do not look the same. Here's a screen shot of Spooky Luke's. It's definitely lower, and is exactly the same as mine (probably because he put it there at the factory, haha). Jesse, yours is set higher. I don't think it's "wrong", and I fully plan to adjust mine to match yours and see how it goes, but I can tell you at Luke's/my position mine will not make that orbit.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

pasted_image2 (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).png
1 week later
#8849 1 year ago
Quoted from TheClownpuncher:

Ok, stupid question because I'm the guy who likes to have spare parts around, what model of computer do you use? I'm thinking I may want a spare laying around before it becomes obsolete so I have one if ever needed.
Or does your software design make it so I can use any computer in the future? I just know how much trouble Pin 2K has with trying to get replacement parts because of computer obsolescence and don't want to run into that with this game.

Actually, Spooky 3D prints all of their parts and provides the data files so you can always print a new computer in the future.

Except for the CPU power supply heat sink. They're still working out the kinks on that one.

#8874 1 year ago
Quoted from timtim:

I also think they should have fix the scoop issue 100s of games ago. Haven’t played one yet the doesn’t reject around 75%.

The Pumpkin scoop? I've played three different Halloweens and have never had that problem.

#8878 1 year ago

For anyone who doesn't think their upper playfield is flowing well, watch this video and see how they match up.

If yours is clunky (like mine was), check your orbit ball guide. Mine was misaligned to the left quite a bit. An email to Spooky and ten minutes later it was MUCH better. See pics.

Quoted from timtim:

There’s a guide in this thread to upgrade it. It’s been a regular complaint. Noticeable on the dozen or so UM/HWNs I’ve played.
It bounces out on a good shot more than it should. I’m a fairly competent tournament player before someone says play better. I usually just drain sanatorium to get it there.
They all might just be bent out of play for me

I believe you, but have had zero problems and can't find that guide despite spending the last ten minutes looking. If you're easily able to link to it, awesome (and if not, no problem). I'd love to know what the problem and fix was. Oddly I was just thinking the other night "Man, this scoop is much better than my Dialed In phone scoop..."
Incorrect.jpgIncorrect.jpgPXL_20220912_153539246~3.jpgPXL_20220912_153539246~3.jpg

#8879 1 year ago
Quoted from Lopa:

The problem is that people are presenting every little adjustment issue as some huge deal. Drop targets not working? Go on the internet and complain. Scoop rejecting balls? Don’t adjust game pitch and tweak the scoop, instead go on the internet and complain.

There are legit complaints about build quality that I do agree with, the powdercoat is crap, the servos are crap, the computers are crap, the plastic airball deflector is crap and I have a nice chip taken out of my upper playfield from where the ball comes up the middle ramp. That being said the only one I have asked spooky to address is the computer and they are sending me a new one. Am I complaining?

I think the problem isn't any one of these things, it's all of them taken as a whole. Many people are experiencing an unreasonable number of issues, many of which seem 100% avoidable. The fact that a pin company can stay in business with all of the things you mentioned being -common- is a testament to their customer service. But I can't imagine any other company having THIS many issues and people still cheerleading them along. I really hope their next pin has more of the demons worked out, but I won't be the first in line to find out at this point.

#8899 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballM:

Where did you hear that? No 3D files are provided

Being able to 3D print a functioning computer (with a blistering hot heat sink!) was a joke. But per the Spooky site:

"Q – What about parts? Will I be able to fix this game down the road with you being such a small company?

A – Can you get every unique part for every game ever made? Odds are with us, you will! Many of our plastic parts are 3D printed. Need a new one? Shoot us and email and we can make one for you now, or 20 years from now. As long as those files exist, the parts are available. We’ll always have ramps on hand for spares, and playfields / plastics can be re-made when demand is needed at any time. The bulk of our common pinball parts (flippers , pops, slings, targets, etc) are available at www.pinballlife.com and are very familiar to you if you’ve ever worked on a game. Our power supplies are readily available as well should one ever fail. We kept all these things as simple as possible just for this reason."

I was wrong when I said they "made them available". I misread the above when I first read it.

#8937 1 year ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

But I can't imagine any other company having THIS many issues and people still cheerleading them along.

Quoted from underlord:

Huh. Pinball Bros. Alien. Yeah, there’s worse.

I should have said "I can't imagine any other company having THIS many issues FOR THIS LONG..." I understand wild optimism with the first pin. And maybe the second. But if Pinball Bros is making pin #6 and still getting wild optimism despite continuous severe/oddball issues, that would blow my mind. And, good for them if that was the case.

#9068 1 year ago
Quoted from McDoom:

Is there a recommended fix for the pumpkin scoop shot?
It’s reject city all day on my game and I read others were having the same issue. Just wondering what adjustments people are using to lower the number of rejected shots on this scoop.
[quoted image]

Someone said there was an adjustment guide somewhere in this thread. I cannot find it. I also would love to know the problems and the fixes because mine has been excellent until recently where they occasionally bounce out, hit the knife and drain. Super odd, and it's happened a few times this week. It seems like such a large, open hole that any shot would just drop in.

#9139 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Has anyone successfully set up the center drops so you can drill them head on at full power and they drop consistently? I’ve gotten into the habit of lightly tap shotting them and I’ve grown to appreciate that you can’t just SMACK them but some off my League players are losing their minds trying to drill em.

I never had a problem on my (used) Halloween, but my Deadpool had that problem. I "choked up" the springs and they've worked 99.9% of the time since then. I hate how the springs look, but it's under the playfield so whatever.

Has anyone had an everlasting hedge multiball? It was stuck in multiball forever. I find the better I get the more bugs I’m finding. It happened when I stacked escape the kitchen with hedge multiball.

Yes. It was like infinite sex - at first I was like "THIS IS THE GREATEST THING EVER!!!" but that quickly changed to "I have things to do..."

Quoted from Colsond3:

That it should. I have a little technique where I can turn the shooter rod as I plunge at full strength, and it bounces from the left to the right flipper, and up into Annie’s tombstone for the instant lock.
I can hit it at least 6 out of 10 times, and it gives you 1 million right out of the gate. Only a slight compromise vs. choosing the initial 1.5 million skill shot.

I'm getting zero points on that shot, only 100k from the 2nd ball launch. Are you sure that's giving you 1M?

#9209 1 year ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

What brand speaker does spooky use for the CE?

I'm not sure, but it's the same sound system in all three editions.

#9345 1 year ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

LEGENDS OF VALHALLA rated higher than Halloween CE on Pinside top 100? Come on man...

I own both. Both are good games. But if a hundred random people play both, they'll likely think Valhalla is more fun. Because it is, if you don't want to learn rulesets, or you're playing in a loud and bright environment, or you like lots of action. Halloween is a great pin, but it's simply not for everyone.

1 week later
#9666 1 year ago

Really? Not sure I’ve had any on mine. I’ve had more end up on the knife than anything.

I've had the ball get stuck UNDER that plastic 3-4 times now.

#9668 1 year ago

Every machine is absolutely unique…

I feel like every 50 plays my Halloween becomes a new unique . The ball never got stuck there the first 400 plays. It always seems like it's changing, more than my other other pins.

#9736 1 year ago

I gotta say, this thread is getting to be a bit of a slog. Some of the posts seem to be endlessly in anticipation of their machine or new code. Ok. But many of the posts are defending the honor(!) of the pin when people share pretty neutral truths and opinions about it. I also love the gross mischaracterizations about people's statements. It's the only owner's thread that I've visited where it's (at least recently) it feels like a job getting through the posts. To empathize and summarize:

-I know you're eager for your pin. So was I. So is the next guy. We know.
-New code is coming. It's always been coming. You're excited. So am I. So is everyone else. We know.
-Halloween has a lot of issues. Many are not typical. It doesn't ruin the experience for most owners, but it's clearly not just "Every new pin has kinks to work out..." Let's just call it what we know it is, and not paint it into something it's not. Either way.
-You don't have to argue that last statement. It's ok. Take a breath. Unclench your fists.
-While I'm sure some people "hate" the pin because they're ignorant/inexperienced/brainwashed/whatever, lots of people just don't like it. Period. That's OK. It's a unique pin. That means there's a good chance opinions will be diverse on it. If people post a negative review about what they thought after playing it, that's not bogus. It's their freaking opinion. They have one, just like you. Just like me. No one is attacking your fun-but-imperfect girlfriend's honor. Put the beer down, unclench your fists again, and relax. We like your girlfriend. She's our girlfriend, too.

Ok, that ending went sideways but you get my point

#9745 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

You can’t review a film if you never got past the credits just like you can’t honestly review a pin you’ve never beat (or at least witnessed it’s completion) End of story. Hating on something you don’t understand is the definition of ignorance and…that ain’t really “ok” that’s…ignorant. No clenched first here, jussayn’

"End of story", haha. Well that settles that!

I've never even contemplated waiting to beat a pin before reviewing it. I had to think that one through. And I have to disagree - I've spent many hours on many pins that I really like and feel pretty comfortable a) making a review, and b) hearing others' if they were to do the same. If you don't think that person should make a review, ok. I disagree.

I liken reviewing pins not to finishing a film, but eating at a restaurant. If I experience a quarter of the menu and really love it or hate it, I very likely don't need to "eat everything" to make an informed opinion about it. There's also this rampant mindset of "You don't agree with me, therefore you're ignorant". I'm sure many people who review Halloween understand it, they just don't like it or appreciate it like we do. If every reviewer waited until they fully understood every aspect of the game and beat it before reviewing it, there would be 90% less reviews. And Halloween wouldn't necessarily be any higher.

Quoted from TheLaw:

I'm a little worried aboot the update if the animations are going to change much; although I've been busy and aren't up on the new changes.

I like the style and content of the animations and video if they just fixed all the issues with it.

It's also interesting to hear people talk about which shot is hard - the top hedge shot is a 95% miss for me, and yet I have no problem making super tight shots that others find difficult.

#9748 1 year ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

I also love the gross mischaracterizations about people's statements.

Like:

Quoted from arcyallen:

If I experience a quarter of the menu and really love it or hate it

...being translated to:

Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Imagine being a world class chef and someone with no prior knowledge of your craft comes into your restaurant and only orders the bread

This.

#9753 1 year ago

Seeing the numbers being delivered on FB, are they like one or two weeks out from finishing the run for this game?

On one hand, I'd think yes. But then I see early pre-orders (voluntarily) still not filled and I wonder how many of those are still pending. I'd like to think they're wrapping up very, very soon. But really, I think what you're asking is "When's the next pin coming?"

#9759 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Sadly, I think you may be correct. I am super-DUPER not a fan of his negativity, so take that with a grain of salt. I don't need that in my life. 100% agree the power trip of negativity is really hurting our hobby here. Wish more people could see that.
I'm very happy to say I've had basically none of the issues that have been posted about - I've only had my game a month, and the only real issue I had was the glass not lining up (which was my fault - game was not as level as I thought!), and I have to make an adjustment to the magnet/dump ramp that holds the ball after a successful crossover. It does not cleanly load the ball into the wireform, and usually bounces out onto the playfield. The fix is easy, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
The game is really great as-is, and I'm really looking forward to more!

What do you plan to do to fix that issue? I was about to troubleshoot mine, same problem. I figure the dump mechanism can be rotated clockwise a bit?

#9793 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Make sure these "tabs"are bent towards the habit trail. I was playing mine and noticed the "platform" is actually off center, so I watched what happened and noticed these tabs at the very end of the scood guided the ball right where it needed to be. Probably easy fix.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Mine is bent in like that, but the ball just laughs as it blows by those tabs. I could bend them more, but I'm hoping when I look closely there's a way to rotate that whole chute to aim it more towards the habitrail. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Quoted from TheClownpuncher:

Ok pin techs, anyone have a permanent fix for this? I've unscrewed it and re-aligned it to where it's supposed to be in front of the post rubber 3 times now and it keeps popping back. Getting a little frustrating.

I'm having that same problem. I plan to totally remove it, bend it until it stays put without the rubber post aiding it, and then put it back on. I'm afraid if I keep bending it while it's mounted I might wreck the mounting holes still holding it on.

#9927 1 year ago
Quoted from Mundy53:

There goes driver board number #5. This is literally the worst game I’ve ever owned and I’ve owned 77 pinballs in my life. Changed the driver board on Saturday from the sanitarium drop taking it out and updated the code to 1.08a. Played a couple games this morning and noticed the upper playfield drop not locking on, but constantly resetting. Inspected everything was in the right place and went to take a video, but I guess I wasn’t fast enough. I’m not new to fixing games either, other than the Judith Meyers coil burning up twice, every issues is a new issue.
I’m going to relist my ad at $6k if anyone is interested. I’m done with Spooky games.

Well dude, I'm sorry to hear about all of that. There's a certain point where it's pretty understandable to give up. I can't really say anything more that hasn't been said on here, other than (as you know) this sort of thing just isn't normal with a pinball machine.

And I don't think you're crazy for being done with Spooky. The other day I was thinking that it seems many Halloween owners are like abused spouses - we keep sticking around thinking things will get better, that they're not so bad, that "Hey, he said he was sorry so I'm sticking around", "it's just an isolated incident" (again). It's all pretty unfortunate.

#9930 1 year ago
Quoted from Lopa:

Dude you just equated spousal abuse to owning a pinball machine.
Booo!

The severe differences between the two don't negate the similarity I'm mentioning. I'm not an idiot. Also, you appear to enjoy/love a pinball machine that is about a guy that's brutally murdered dozens of people. Booo to that, too? No.

#9933 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

In fairness to Michael, he probably only murdered 5 people by the end of Halloween. And a dog.

I sometimes think about how I can watch a murder in a movie (and pin) and generally be unmoved, but if it's a dog...uh oh. I don't think I'd own this pin if it had that footage, no joke.

#9970 1 year ago

This pin keeps cracking me up. When I bought it a month or two ago I played it to make sure all was well. Seller packed it up, I get it home, and find only 6 balls. Clearly there's a ball stuck in the machine...but nope. I look through every inch and find nothing. So I add a 7th ball and play 180 games with minimal issue.

Today, I raise the playfield and tweak a few things, something I've done several times before. When I lower it and go to play, it keeps kicking out extra balls and is acting awfully funny. I notice the balls look different in the trough - like there's one too many(!)

Yup, the missing ball resurfaced. Can't tell you where from, but it made its triumphant return. Amazing I never had a problem or found it until now.

Quoted from MattElder:

Spooky tells me that we need to create our own wire harness from the cabinet to the backbox to run the additional board that you have to buy.

This is insane. Put it on the "Spooky Is Special" List. This seems like an oversight from someone, somewhere.

#9971 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

While my pin works well, I dont see this as helpful. Should they just send him a supply of 20 boards to swap out?

I think his point is that boards -are- likely to be surface mount at this point. And just like when car guys complained about not being able to work on carburetors and said that the electronics will fail more often, people will complain about the new boards. I understand the pros and cons. If you can/like to work on the boards, it's frustrating. Me? I'll pay $80 to replace a board any day, and I think the manufacturers know that's a common sentiment. But yeah, frustrating to those who want to do the work themselves. And for those of us who appreciate efficiency, it seems highly inefficient to keep replacing entire boards. I have two "bad" Stern boards in my basement that work totally fine, but were sent in an attempt to fix a problem.

#9985 1 year ago
Quoted from MattElder:

And that the addition of a shaker or knocker to a standard will void the warranty.

Wwwooooooow. Wow. Can anyone think of any other manufacturer doing this? Adding it to a pin that was never designed for it, I could understand. But when the higher levels come with it...eesh.

#10021 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Yes, the addition of any mod across all manufacturers including Stern voids the warranty UNLESS it is an approved modification from the company. This is a standard practice. Are you people NEW?!

I was suggesting that when manufacturers offer knockers and shakers as part of a higher edition, they allow you to add it to the cheaper machines without voiding a warranty. But thanks for the quick attack! You seem to add little to meaningful conversations here, and yet are the #1 poster. So I hope you won't be offended when I set you to Ignore and try to reduce meaningless noise on my feeds. I like hearing differing opinions and ideas, but not garbage.

To everyone else: If he says something smart, feel free to let me know. I say all of this not to express a pouty face (I hate saying it at all), but to not look oblivious when it seems I'm not seeing specific posts from ignored users.

#10174 1 year ago

A week or so ago an extra ball showed up in my machine. Tonight, ANOTHER extra ball showed up. That means for the first 180 games or so it had TWO extra balls hidden away where I couldn't see them. I can't make this shit up.

Quoted from smoke20:

Just curious; has everybody found the additional venting to be needed?

I don't think adding venting will help - that's a pretty beefy sub we're working with and it's bound to shake some things on this cabinet. Adjusting the amplifier settings will help quite a bit - there are some recommended settings somewhere in this thread that worked quite well for me.

#10336 1 year ago
Quoted from VandyOne:

So the H78a is still the most up to date code ?

v1.08 is the code version. H78a sounds like a Canadian version of the game.

Haddofield '78, eh?

#10365 1 year ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Also the tongue one way flap in the house has been mounted high enough that the ball can go underneath it and back down the ramp if the ball gets into that area from the house flipper. Is this right?

Mine is like this. I figure that metal flap is really there for a hard/airborne bounce back, not a roll.

Quoted from Roostking:

What tools are you using to get settings right? I have trued pitch and whatnot from phone apps, but id like to get this as perfect as possible. Love this pin, but only seem to play at night!!

This is pretty cheap and works great:
https://a.co/d/dFFvXJE

#10456 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinash:

Does anyone else's machine have a no-skill Judith Myers skill shot? If I do a full plunge with no flipping, the ball rolls from the orbit, hits the left flipper, then right flipper, and then bounces right into the ball lock. I may upgrade the shooter rod spring to something stiffer to eliminate the cheap skill shot.

Mine definitely has never done that. But, give yours a month and it might change. All of those "automatic" shots never seem to last due to the machine settling/changing. I used to be able to just keep the left flipper held up to catch on the plunge, and now that doesn't work anymore. Pins are dynamic creatures!

#10506 1 year ago
Quoted from Orko:

Question for everyone. If I buy a used Halloween, is the warranty transferable? I’ve read about some of the mechanical issues, but LOVE the game.

So the official answer for Spooky (and most manufacturers) is no, it's not transferable. They owe you nothing at that point.

Having said that, every manufacturer I've dealt with (including Spooky) has helped me as the 2nd and 3rd owner. A lot. So go into it knowing you might be on the hook for things, but that they'll likely help you for at least some of it.

#10606 1 year ago
Quoted from riggy469:

Anyone else run into an unlimited ball save bug during House Attack multiball?

Sure, several times. It's very exciting the first couple of minutes. The first time.

#10667 1 year ago
Quoted from Hollywoodbone:

Any one have an issue with speaker noise? I swear it wasn’t doing it until today. It’s loud and sounds like wind ha ha. Not just a low hiss. No change during game play. There is a little noise from the cabinet speaker but not much. Almost all of the hissing wind is from the left and right head speaker! Thank you guys for any help.

Try reseating the audio cables to and from the amp. I found several issues: a bad solder joint IN the amp (I don't recommend taking it apart), the RCA cables plugging into the amp needed to be twisted a bit to make a good connection, and the 1/8" stereo plug in the backbox needed to be twisted also to shore up the connection. If any of these were making "almost good" connections I can imagine the hiss you're talking about.

#10688 1 year ago

Jason was really killing it last night...

PXL_20221030_011108550.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20221030_011108550.MP (resized).jpg
#10762 1 year ago

I'm curious: Who here doesn't care about the Halloween theme but loves the pin?

#10801 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I didn't buy Halloween based on the theme

Says the guy with the Michael Myers avatar. You crack me up!

#10874 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

You don't say... Of course I know that... IT'S NOT THAT HE'S SELLING ITS THE PRICE HE CHOSE TO SELL IT FOR. My apologies for screaming it out loud but I feel like I need to be clear on that point.

Well, you get an award for the first person on Pinside I've seen that was genuinely upset over a low price. If it makes you feel any better, buy mine which based on simple math should be a similarly screaming deal:

SOLD!
Machine - For Sale
HUO - Undocumented (Home Used Only) - “Excellent shape, plays great. The butter cabinet really makes it pop! I'm happy to take more pics or videos on request. Also open to trades for super clean pins made in the last tw...”
2022-10-27
Winooski, VT
Archived after: 31 days
Viewed: 1079 times
Contributed to Pinside

#10879 1 year ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

The Butter cab is direct printed on the cabinet and is stunning. It was a $1000 option

"Glossy and smooth like a brand new car" is how I'd describe it.

1 week later
#11157 1 year ago

Something friend and I have been noticing, but is the outlane save you buy from the blood store... do nothing? We buy the save and right away have seen it not do anything when the ball goes to an outlane. We have to test it more but we both have done this and feel like we've never seen the save actually kick in.
If you buy an outlane save, and your ball drains down the center normally, does it also erase your purchased outlane save? Trying to figure out why it feels useless to buy, we've never seen it do anything

They said there was more coming and that Halloween was getting a year of updates still at least. And that we know there was all new animations being made for the game using new animators who worked on the new UM artwork. So it seems like whatever problems happened, slowed down the newest update which sounds like its a big one.

If you look carefully, it only saves the ball if it rolls through the lane with the lit blood. You can choose which lane is lit with your flippers. And yes, it'll disappear when (not if) you drain the ball down the center after purchasing. It only took me a couple hundred games to figure out why the purchase "didn't work". Just like when you buy the ball save, it's ONE ball save. Not unlimited, like you might reasonably assume.

#11197 1 year ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

It's actually a very clever financial strategy. If you buy a game with complete code, you're more likely to move it on quicker, because you've played it to death and there's nothing else coming to make it better. So, games flood the marketplace and Stern (or whomever) lose a few new sales as people sweep up the discounted deals.
But, release a game incomplete with the constant promise of a 'code update' every few months, will keep the game much longer in your collection, allowing Stern (or whomever) time to shift all their new games to maximize profitability.
It's the classic strategy of 'dangling a carrot in front of a Donkey'. Sorry to say, but if you're falling for it... then you're the Donkey.
Coding a pinball machine isn't that hard or time-consuming. And no way in hell should it take any programmer a year to code just 1 pinball game. HWN is a very simple game of pinball compared to anything JJP is producing, so 6 months to finish the game code completely is all it should take (I could probably do it in 3).
Now you see how the strategy works. Your HWN isn't going anywhere because the code is coming... soon. Eeee-aww.

You forgot that the guy selling that finely coded game...is buying another one.

If anything, they're simply putting out beta code for us beta testers (aka newish pin buyers) to test and report back to them. For free.

1 week later
#11253 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

Yeah c'mon Spooky I want to review the game - but cant do it until it's on this next code drop!

It's a year old pin that's on V1.00+. Review it! If it's not reviewable by now, that's noteworthy.

#11288 1 year ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

When I got mine I noticed the left lifter flap was raised slightly, sometimes flat and sometimes raised.
Just went to play and noticed the flap is raised quite a bit, no way to adjust anything to rectify. Looks like when the ball drops from the ramp it has been causing the flap to bend. Anyone else had this issue?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

If it's not always raised like that, I don't know. If it IS, then I'd guess the flap is bent. I've sometimes thought this might happen if you shut the machine off mid-elevate. I imagine taking that flap off and bending it back would fix it. I don't -think- the ball dropping would bend it like that.

#11377 1 year ago
Quoted from Svente69:

Suddenly the game always started with 2 balls.
No more will be added during the game.
Which switch test should I check best?

I believe that happened to me after around 200 games. It was when the machine discovered the 8th ball. And again, shortly after, when it discovered the 9th ball. I took them out when I found them, and the two ball starts ended. Count your balls!

1 week later
#11467 1 year ago
Quoted from qbass187:

What is a good setting for the amp the everybody has been using? I was fooling around in the cab the other day and I knocked the dials around…
Now I’m getting speaker pops on startup.

Two notes to add to Luke's:
-Keep fooling with his suggestions. They worked great on my first amp, but the replacement amp I got sounded different and needed more adjustment
-Take a pic of the knobs on the amp once it's right, print it, and keep it in the coinbox. That way in the future if you want to monkey with it you know what knob does what, and where the settings were when they were "correct".

#11469 1 year ago
Quoted from Royflipper:

And there he is finally it took a while but he is at his destination in the Netherlands.
[quoted image]

YOU SHIPPED A DOG TO THE NETHERLANDS??!?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinned Out Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Wilkes-barre, PA
$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Trade
Machine - For Trade
O'fallon, MO
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

5,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lexington, KY
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 49.99
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Charlotte, NC
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcyallen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/halloween-owners-threadhes-coming-home?tu=arcyallen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.