Cbl9jGwUcAEkjQk (resized).jpg
IMG_2793 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2800 (resized).jpeg
20240405_232130 (resized).JPG
IMG_1506 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3494 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

15 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2369 Upper playfield adjustment video. Posted by lpeters82 (2 years ago)

Post #3112 Upper playfield adjustment video Posted by spandol (2 years ago)

Post #3319 TECH: DISPLAY. LCD settings so blacks look better. Posted by manadams (2 years ago)

Post #3394 Stock LCD Display - alternate settings Posted by Mad_Dog_Coin_Op (2 years ago)

Post #4163 How to square a cabinet. Posted by rotordave (2 years ago)

Post #4472 Please Read - re order numbers and order of manufacture. Posted by rotordave (2 years ago)

Post #5620 Porting the cabinet to stop bass rattle Posted by rotordave (1 year ago)

Post #5659 Mudflaps Custom Cards #1 Posted by Mudflaps (1 year ago)

Post #5776 Mudflaps Apron Card bonanza! Posted by Mudflaps (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SLAMT1LT.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#66 2 years ago

Unfortunately, you're not going to get much of a game here because Halloween isn't much of a movie. It's a masterpiece of movie-making for sure, but there isn't a lot in the movie that translates well to a fast-paced pinball experience.

An what Spooky does offer will soon get repetitive and boring after a few weeks of play.

I will be very surprised if this game remains in anyone's collection beyond 2 months. Which is good news for those that didn't get one....they can grab a bargain when the market place is flooded with them.

3 weeks later
#216 2 years ago
Quoted from cconway84:

.......If it was mine I’d switch out the cheap plastic knife in the shooter lane for a real knife asap.

Pretty sure everyone will.

1 week later
#392 2 years ago

You will absolutely love this game.....for the first 2 weeks. After 6 weeks it will start gathering dust. In 2 months it's gone. If you didn't get one, don't worry there will be plenty coming up for sale in the new year.

I'm not knocking Spooky or the game, but it's Halloween - a very simple low budget horror movie. There's not much meat on the bone.

I've given Spooky some suggestions to flesh the game out a bit, which may extend its stay in your collection. But ultimately, I don't see this as a keeper for most buyers.

5 months later
#5018 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Great review and lots of reoccurring themes in the reviews.
1. Awesome game
2. QC is lacking. Dirty games being delivered. Cabling lose, scuffed art and woodwork

I can't imagine anyone buying the game then posting a review of 'this game sucks'. EVERYTHING is awesome when it's new. Only pay attention to reviews posted by people who've owned the game for a while.

No excuse for bad QC though. All games should leave the factory in MINT condition.

2 months later
#6906 1 year ago

I personally can't stand callouts that tell you what to shoot for, or scream out 'Jackpot'. You don't need that shit. Callouts should entertain, not instruct. If you have the time to trawl through all the other Halloween movies, you'll find some great Dr Loomis lines, which would enhance the atmosphere of the game.

3 months later
#9576 1 year ago

Happy October... Halloweeners.

SpookyPin (resized).jpgSpookyPin (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#10153 1 year ago

Movies need a new unstoppable killing machine; enough with Michael, Freddie, Jason etc...

Job requirements:

- emotionless
- wears a mask
- walks very slowly
- wears coveralls/dungarees
- carries a blade of some kind
- is horribly disfigured when mask removed
- has the mental capacity of an infant
- hates teens
- can withstand bullets, fire, knives, ropes, poison, acid, molten steel, crushing, suffocation, drowning, electrocution, explosives and laser beams

#10406 1 year ago

I wonder if Spooky have hidden a very special feature in the code, that can only be played on 31st Oct. Not sure if modern pinball can detect location date and time. Virtual pinball can. Would be a fun idea.

#10472 1 year ago

Don't worry, they'll have something very special for you, just watch the magic pumpkin...

#10581 1 year ago

Helluva job stepping in at this stage and taking over coding duties on this classic. First, you must be a MASSIVE Halloween fan. Second, you need to have the creative genius to create an immersive and 'spooky' gameplay experience.

A coder with 22 years' experience means diddly squat, unless they have creative flair.

This is the world of entertainment; expectations are sky high.

2 weeks later
#11193 1 year ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

Everyone buys games like Jurassic Park and Godzilla from Stern KNOWING the code won't be complete(ish) until 12-18 months from game release.

It's actually a very clever financial strategy. If you buy a game with complete code, you're more likely to move it on quicker, because you've played it to death and there's nothing else coming to make it better. So, games flood the marketplace and Stern (or whomever) lose a few new sales as people sweep up the discounted deals.

But, release a game incomplete with the constant promise of a 'code update' every few months, will keep the game much longer in your collection, allowing Stern (or whomever) time to shift all their new games to maximize profitability.

It's the classic strategy of 'dangling a carrot in front of a Donkey'. Sorry to say, but if you're falling for it... then you're the Donkey.

Coding a pinball machine isn't that hard or time-consuming. And no way in hell should it take any programmer a year to code just 1 pinball game. HWN is a very simple game of pinball compared to anything JJP is producing, so 6 months to finish the game code completely is all it should take (I could probably do it in 3).

Now you see how the strategy works. Your HWN isn't going anywhere because the code is coming... soon. Eeee-aww.

1 month later
#12123 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Most folks I've met in the local scene all seem to go "ew" at Halloween cause it's not your normal fast shooter, they see it as a "slow" game cause of how objective mode focused it is. They typically like the constant scoring ball hitting games where you are just always scoring cause the targets are always active everywhere. They really took a unique direction with Halloween, which I like but it's also a bit too much in that direction I think, which is why I would love for more gameplay and scoring to be opened up all around as some modes really shut off too much of the game playfield where the shots are totally worthless unless really focused in select areas. You can bat around the ball for long periods of time in Halloween and not drain, yet you barely will score if your not getting the objective targets hit, whereas many games that the tourny community likes, just are always pouring points at you for every little thing so the longer your playing the more points in general you are scoring.
I'm fine with Halloween being different, and the two upper level fields alone immediately sets some folks off as upper playfields can be kryptonite for some pin players. I think they got a good basis and ideas, they just could open up some aspects more to allow more gameplay variety, and getting that code more fine tuned. But just the way the game is setup will never please some players

Code can offer so much more than just scoring points. Pinball has evolved far beyond what your Granddaddy used to play. Video games did away with 'playing for a high score' decades ago. Why? Because the video game industry is full of fresh, young talent, each bringing in new ideas and innovations. And thank Christ, otherwise we'd still be chasing high scores in God of War!

To be frank, I don't play pinball for points... never have, never will. I play for the excitement of the game, making progress and enjoying the audio/visual experience.

So what can modern code do? First, you need young and gifted coders with creative imagination. Not just coders... anyone can code, it's actually very easy. No, you need creative coders. Think of a pinball coder like a film director, they are in charge of everything... the lights, the sets, the actors, the audio... it's all theirs to manipulate into an enjoyable and unique gameplay experience.

For example, Lonnie D. Loop coded Apollo 13 into a standard and very familiar pinball experience - shoot stuff score points. But my code adds much more creativity, including 3 new game modes: Classic (the original game), Movie (13-minute mission to beat the game in film order), and Music Odyssey (the original game but with emotive songs of the era added).

Here's the movie mode in action, which I think would be great for Spooky's HWN; giving the player an option to play the game in movie scene order with a time limit (when the time is up, Michael kills you).

In a single game of pinball, you can provide code that caters for everyone - young, old, amateur, pro... whatever. Don't be fooled into thinking pinball is just a physical game of hitting stuff to score points. That was decades ago.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 63.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Monson, MA
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinned Out Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
O'fallon, MO
Machine - For Sale
Woodinville, WA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hastings, MN
$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SLAMT1LT.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/halloween-owners-threadhes-coming-home?tu=SLAMT1LT and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.