IMG_3589 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3590 (resized).jpeg
Cbl9jGwUcAEkjQk (resized).jpg
IMG_2793 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2800 (resized).jpeg
20240405_232130 (resized).JPG
IMG_1506 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

15 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2369 Upper playfield adjustment video. Posted by lpeters82 (2 years ago)

Post #3112 Upper playfield adjustment video Posted by spandol (2 years ago)

Post #3319 TECH: DISPLAY. LCD settings so blacks look better. Posted by manadams (2 years ago)

Post #3394 Stock LCD Display - alternate settings Posted by Mad_Dog_Coin_Op (2 years ago)

Post #4163 How to square a cabinet. Posted by rotordave (2 years ago)

Post #4472 Please Read - re order numbers and order of manufacture. Posted by rotordave (2 years ago)

Post #5620 Porting the cabinet to stop bass rattle Posted by rotordave (1 year ago)

Post #5659 Mudflaps Custom Cards #1 Posted by Mudflaps (1 year ago)

Post #5776 Mudflaps Apron Card bonanza! Posted by Mudflaps (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jediturtle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#123 2 years ago

Got my shipping notice! Unfortunately it was for my Scream Factory 4K Blu-Rays, not my pin. LOL....still exciting.

I absolutely love what I see in just those two screen shots from the new code. Picking modes...counting bodies...choosing ball save as a reward...hells yes!

#125 2 years ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

Was hoping since day 1 that BOC’s “Don’t fear the reaper” would be present during a certain mode. Alternate the left and right ramp to pass the joint between Annie and Laurie. Time it out with so many combos. so you don’t get busted by Sherrif Bracket at the hardware store. Who’s w me?

That is an awesome idea! I'd love that song to be in the game, but I would imagine the license wouldn't allow it. Hope I'm wrong though.

#128 2 years ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

Prob right. But Almost Every horror film has its attempts at humor - this would be a perfect opportunity for a little laugh thrown in the game, a great classic tune, and BOC makes a little cash too. Win win!

It's a great scene for sure! And your idea would be a fun way to integrate it...even if they can't use the music.

#130 2 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

NOTE this is not the full depth of the rules nor do we show mention everything in the game! Will be doing another video with the next update showing and explaining more!

I love everything about this. Everything. Great job guys...can't wait to watch it keep evolving. I hope this video puts some minds at ease. You'll never make everyone happy, but I think this is shaping up to be an awesome, unique game. Very excited for mine! Keep up the great work Spooky crew!

#159 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

So, a dream theme for me but dont have the space or desire to spend $9K right now on a new pin but am bummed that they are limiting this run so few pins...Curious why that is? Licensing I assume? Im guessing if I dont pull the trigger now (which I'm not going to do) I wont have much of a chance down the road to grab one...

Spooky is a small company, and are limited in how many machines they can pump out. This is actually the largest run of machines they have ever made (I think?). As it is, this number is going to take them over a year to produce, which is a big reason why they put a cap on them. By then everyone will be itching for them to move on to the next title.

That said, every machine ever made comes available at some point. Any of their previous titles are relatively easy to pick up with a little patience, and I'm sure this will be no exception. Might be hard to find one NIB a couple years down the road, but HUO ones will be around.

1 week later
#268 2 years ago

Now I’m ready!

009B17F6-D3BD-4847-816A-C8B181913A87 (resized).jpeg009B17F6-D3BD-4847-816A-C8B181913A87 (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#968 2 years ago

The framework of the code is solid. I'm pretty happy with it as it is honestly, as long as all bugs are squashed of course. Knowing that there is tons of stuff yet to come is great!

As for confidence that the finished product will be good...I am not worried. Bug has literally grown up immersed in two things...pinball and horror. I have no doubt he will deliver. Have some faith and give the kid the benefit of the doubt. If he proves us wrong, well then we have the right to be pessimistic next time. As of now, I see nothing but great things ahead for him though. #INBUGWETRUST!

#1164 2 years ago

After spending MGC weekend getting to hang out with Squirrel, Bug, and DJ, (and of course getting to put a couple plays on the machine), I am more confident than ever that this machine, and Spooky in general are in VERY good hands. They truly are an amazing group of young adults full of passion, talent, and just plain goodness. I have literally watched these "kids" grow up at MGCs over the years, and I still picture them as those sweet little kids running around helping wherever they could. It's pretty awesome to see them grow into these roles.

As a big fan of the theme, this game looks and sounds absolutely amazing. During set-up I could hear certain sound cues and effects from across the hall and it put a smile on my face every single time. The layout is unique and so much fun to shoot. The code is definitely a work in progress, but they have said that from the start so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. That said, the framework that is there is really fun, and you can see it is heading in a great direction. Every major update has shown significant progress, and I have no doubt that will continue and this will end up being a very solid ruleset. I am already very happy with the total package, and can't wait until the night #120 comes home.

#inbugwetrust

-Chris

#1261 2 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

I think it's a wise investment. Good when working on the pins too to protect the armor. One little mess up and it will ruin your day... Just my opinion of course.

They are worth their weight in gold, especially if you have multiple machines with blades. No matter how careful you are, you will eventually snag or scuff one up...especially since some machines are tighter than others. And great point about protecting the armor too. The price seems steep at first for what they are, but it's a one time investment, and a pretty small one in the scheme of what we spend money on in this hobby. I'm glad to have them every time I need to lift a pf.

#1287 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

We need some mini wiz modes / side quests even more regular modes in general.

I see two mini-wizard modes (Jack-O-Lantern multiball and The Night He Came Home) and a main wizard mode (Boogeyman). I'd of course love more, but that's not bad.

#1294 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I guess I don’t view Jack o lantern multi as a mini wiz as completing three modes is not really an incredible feat. ‘Boogeyman’ and ‘the night he comes home’ may suffice if the modes are well coded and require completion to light victory laps on both and qualify a final super wizard mode. Additional early modes would be excellent as well. That way you can have more variety in how you get to the end of the game. I have to say i also wish that the player would either play as MM OR a potential victim and not both. Aiding MM as well as his victims pulls you out of the suspense of the game imo.

Well...we call Secure Control Room in JP a mini-wizard and that's only three modes to qualify..

I totally (ha) get what you are saying though. But I'm glad to see it there. It's a nice half way point mode, kind of along the lines of Hand of the King or Cherry Bomb and stuff like that. Maybe a little easier to get to than some of those, but a nice way to mix it up and a good goal for newer players.

It seems Boogeyman will be the final, hard to get "ultimate" wizard mode since it requires not just playing, but completing all of the main modes. Sounds tough to get to, which is good.

#1367 2 years ago

Cool flowchart, great video going over it. Haters whining about shallow rules please note that it took a 40 minute video to go through them all, LOL. Awesome work. Looking forward to getting mine VERY soon and then getting to experience the rules evolve first hand. Keep up the great work! #inbugwetrust!

#1428 2 years ago

Picked up #120 today, and saw plenty of them sitting by the door ready to ship out. No "delay gate" conspiracy theory happening here.

#1442 2 years ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

Glad to see people are getting their games! Now Start practicing the skill plunge (Just like Metallica if set up properly)! Almost a full shot and don’t touch the flippers - ball will guide right up to the Judith Myers Tombstone and get locked. Cool stuff!

Ooohhh...I was wondering if that was possible. Only got a few plays on mine so far and haven't gotten it to bounce in on a full plunge. Will play with strengths. I'm sure it will be highly dependent on pitch/level and rubber type/age. Glad to hear it's doable!

Also very glad to see you happy with your game after having some doubts before receiving it. Hope it brings you many years of enjoyment!

#1453 2 years ago

I have external subs on all my pins. I go by the "solder to the cab speaker, run to the speaker level in" method. Being this one has significantly more power running to the cab speaker, are people still using this method, or is there a better place to tap into on Spooky machines? Not really looking to use a Pinnovators solution or debate the quality of that product vs the old solder direct method, but do want to make sure I'm not looking for trouble by running an already amplified signal to my external. I'm assuming being speaker level inputs it will be fine, but wondering if anyone else has done it on a Spooky machine. Thanks!

#1455 2 years ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

I tried my usual solder to the cab speaker method like my other 3 pins to a 12” Klipsch with an RCA input and it didn’t work. Got some weird clicking noise. Perhaps I didn’t wire the RCA correctly to the speaker wire this time - odd - may try again.

You are running your other 3 to an RCA on the sub? That would be line level. I'm surprised that works at all. Most people that run direct to the cab speaker use speaker level inputs. Of course, that means your sub needs to have speaker level inputs which many do not. I've tried line level converters to use a cheap sub with only line level with no luck. I'm sure a Pinnovator would work in that case, but I'm really surprised you could run direct. Interesting.

#1492 2 years ago

Not every machine will appeal to every person. This is no exception. I'm absolutely loving mine so far, and love the direction the code is heading in. Even at the current level of depth, there is still plenty to do. Six "traditional" modes (pumpkin..all very unique) plus three major goals leading to unique multiballs is not what I would call shallow in the slightest. The way those two paths will interconnect in scoring opportunity is great. Knowing they are adding a half-way point mini-wizard mode for pumpkins, and two wizard modes (one requiring everything be completed, not just started), tells me the depth level will be just fine. Maybe not an ultra-deep Elwin or Lyman adventure, but every bit the depth of most modern games.

I have rarely played a machine that sucked me into the theme and atmosphere as much as this one does. It's just a huge treat for fans of the film. The layout is unique and a lot of fun to shoot. The upper playfields are way better than most, and nothing else feels like them at all. I pulled off a triple butt pretzel earlier which felt absolutely amazing. That little ramp to the sanitarium is stellar. It's up there in a blink. The fact that I can backhand a ramp I can't even see if super satisfying. The sound package is awesome. The deep, intense sound when starting Sanitarium in particular is freaking insane. And of course the art package is second to none.

I'm pretty much in love with mine. Is it perfect? Nope...none are. It needs tweaks here and there. The code is still a work in progress heading in the right direction. I have faith it will get continue shaping up to be an amazing overall package. #inbugwetrust

#1507 2 years ago

LED strip talk reminds me....one of the few things I was leery of before playing it was the LED strips. In pics/video they looked like they would be kind of obnoxious and in your face. I am pretty sensitive to that, and usually end up replacing any bulbs I can see with frosted as they annoy and hurt my eyes. Turns out, I had nothing to be worried about with these. The smoked "shield" over them works really well at toning them down just enough to not be annoying at all while still being super effective. While I will still admit something more diffused would be even better (and if someone comes up with a nice mod I may be interested), but these are awesome as-is. Much more than I was expecting them to be. I went in expecting to dislike them and maybe even disable them, but I was completely wrong. I believe there is a setting to dim them, but I haven't even felt the need to try that.

#1566 2 years ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

From Spooky's Facebook page;
They have arrived! Will be shipping them all as fast as we can. It will take a bit of time but they are here!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Oh man...that's beautiful!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
1 week later
#1649 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Ok ,I’m fine if we’re not getting “don’t fear the reaper” ….as long as Bug,Luke,and Charlie film a video driving around Benton ,blowing a J while talking about Mr Riddle then post it here .The balls in your court boys . Legend status awaits you !

Oh man...Charlie would have to play the part of Officer Brackett. Bug and Luke pull over to talk to him trying to be all nonchalant. LMAO. I am 100% in for making the drive over to be the camera man.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1702 2 years ago

My first thoughts with multiple balls being fed are:
1) Make sure the right number of balls are in the machine.
2) Make sure the trough switches are registering correctly, including the trough jam switch.
3) Make sure the balls feed down the trough freely and land correctly on the switches. A number of things could affect this: magnetized balls make them stick together or to the trough, divots in the ball trough that the balls can get hung up on (unlikely being new), switches that are too stiff and do not let the balls roll freely over them.
4) Make sure the shooter lane switch is registering correctly so it knows a ball is already there.

Basically, the game needs to know there is a ball in the shooter lane and one is missing from the trough. As there are also subways in this game, that could add an additional twist, but since they do not stage balls in the subway (like on ST:TNG for example), I do not think that would be valid here.

BUT...I'm sure these were the first things Spooky went over with you, and probably much deeper. Hope you get it narrowed down soon! These gremlins can be a pain, especially when you just want to play and enjoy it! Good luck!

#1705 2 years ago
Quoted from KYLEDM5:

Since Spooky is closed, until Monday, I'm hoping someone here can help.
An associate of mine went to update his Halloween and now it won't boot up. It powers on, speakers light up and it flashes a few things on the screen. It shows the UP bridging the gap logo, then it says "Starting version 232".
After that, it just keeps flashing "Welcome to pinix. pinix login: root (automatic login) Last login: Sat Dec 4th on tty1"
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

I'm not sure of the exact error messages, but I have heard that you can "brick" the machine in some circumstances when updating if the thumb drive has a glitch or any other number of potential issues. The only way to fix that is for the programmer to send you a new file. I would try emailing Morgan now even though they are closed. It's possible that she will still see it and try to get you fixed up.

#1709 2 years ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

Thanks Jediturtle - We only mainly discussed the switch in the trough lane and that is registering properly. Looks like I need to educate myself on the trough jam switch and how that should function. I’ll do some investigation this weekend.

The tough jam switch is not on every machine, but this one has one. It's an opto half way between the shooter lane and the first position in the trough, to see if any balls didn't quite make it up and out, or if they fell back in from the shooter lane. It's literally looking for a ball jam. Make sure it tests good, that both sides of the opto are clean and not obstructed by a stray wire or anything, and make sure the solder joints are solid. I would say it's fairly unlikely that is your problem, but stranger things have happened.

Simple stuff first though. Go into your switch tests and make sure it sees balls on all 7 trough switches. Then kick one out with our finger and make sure it sees 6 trough switches and 1 in the shooter lane.

When you manually kick one out (with the playfield down in the normal position), watch the other ones closely and make sure they freely advance to the next position and aren't getting hung up. Then put that ball back in the drain and make sure it freely settles where it belongs.

I would also remove all the balls and manually play with the switches to make sure they trigger easily and aren't sticky or being partially blocked by anything. Make sure they are screwed tightly in place and not loose. Gently pull on each wire to make sure none of them have a flaky solder joint. I'd try to follow those wires to where they are plugged in and make sure that side is all good too with no intermittent connections. Then feed the balls back into the trough one at a time and watch them settle into the trough. Make sure they are all going in nicely and triggering the correct switch.

Sorry if that's being too basic and you've checked this sort of thing before. Hopefully it will help give you a few things to check at least. Good luck!

#1710 2 years ago
Quoted from KYLEDM5:

I'll let him know.
Is [email protected] the email?

edit: Nevermind...see Bug's reply below.

#1711 2 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Anyone ever get the ball stuck here? It will rest there and remain until the game does it's ball search sequence then the little metal bracket will rotate and release it. Shaking the machine won't free it, I have to wait for the ball search sequence. That's all the way at the top center of the machine.
[quoted image]

Yeah mine likes to get hung up there every once in awhile. I made my machine a bit steeper and it helped, but a slow moving ball can still settle in there. I can get mine out, but usually get a tilt out of it. I keep forgetting to ask Bug if there is a way to adjust that servo to turn a little further. If not, I might dremel my diverter a little bit so it doesn't create a trap. Won't take much.

#1714 2 years ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

You MUST remove the space and the (1) from the code name prior to updating. It will brick the machine if not named properly. This is what it should look like
[quoted image]

SpookyBug is this true? Should everyone be renaming the file before updating to be safe? Seems...odd to me.

#1718 2 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

By default it has the correct name, I've never had to rename mine. I think the issue may happen if you decompress the firmware update into a directory that already has a previous file with the same name in it, then often the decompression software will append "_1" or something like that to it.

Ahh...that makes sense. I would suggest not doing that. LOL

#1720 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

This is true. If you download the same filename more than once your computer will name the file “x (1)”, x (2), etc. since these updates all have the same name you must remove the (#) and space so the machine recognizes the file as an update.

Gotcha. I would suggest not downloading multiple files of the same name to the same place to avoid that issue.

#1722 2 years ago

Cool...I haven't run into that as I usually delete old code or move it to a different folder before downloading new. I'd suggest everyone do the same to avoid this issue, but I'm sure Windows still might have a mind of it's own. I've never even thought to double check that. Thanks for the heads up John-Floyd ! Good to watch out for each other!

#1725 2 years ago
Quoted from KSP1138:

Major bug if confirmed - After updating to 1.04 and getting the house multiball going, any balls that go into the pumpkin scoop just stay there, and ball search doesn't find them.
I also had a ball locked on the secret skillshot and it didn't release after I drained. Ball search doesn't drop the target.
And I had the game reboot once while I was shooting in the house. This is the first reboot I've seen since I got it a month ago and have been on 1.03 the entire time before today.

I have played 1.04 quite a lot, including a few hours of glass off testing. I have not seen the house multiball/pumpkin scoop bug. Not to say it couldn't be a bug, but I would look over your pumpkin scoop optos and make sure there isn't anything goofy going on there. I had a wire pulled tight and kinked which I believe led to a few issues I was seeing before I moved it. I would check around there.

I have, however, had the same issue with my ball lock not releasing (and also noticed that ball search doesn't drop the target (it tries to reset the drop instead)). It isn't every time though...sometimes works perfectly, sometimes will not release. I am glad to hear it isn't just an issue with my machine because I have been trying like crazy to figure out if it's a hardware or software issue. I have made Bug aware of my findings with it. Glad I'm not alone on that one.

Possibly related, my super skill shot will sometimes not hold the ball in the lock, but rather drop the target and let it go during the animation, then launch the second ball right away. Again, not sure if just my machine or a bug, but I would love to hear if anyone else experiences this. Seems very random, though it MIGHT be related to a fast ball bouncing back into the rear target multiple times? I cannot seem to reproduce it consistantly, but it is fairly frequent (probably 25-50% of the time)

I have never had a reboot. Knock on wood.

#1728 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I have this in 1.03. Maybe 10% of time. Seems to be related to either how hard the ball hits the back of the drop target, or possible hitting the target at the back…not sure.

At first I thought it might be mechanical, knocking the drop back down from behind. But it doesn't seem to be that. It holds the ball for a second and settles in, but then seems to purposely drop it while the animation is playing. And it's TOTALLY random (or at least seems that way). Totally.

There are still a few gremlins, but this release made some huge strides. Very happy. And I can't wait to see what additional pumpkin modes they have up their sleeves. Some of the existing ones are super creative and fun. I'm super pumped for a couple more!

I'm sure the remaining bugs will get sorted out as we help them narrow down the cause. Still absolutely loving this game and enjoying watching it evolve!

#1733 2 years ago
Quoted from KSP1138:

Decided to do some glass off testing first, and the issue is if 2 balls go into the scoop from the sanitarium in quick succession they get stuck in there. I'm not sure how I managed to do that 2 games in a row.
[quoted image]

I do vaguely remember getting a ball or two hung up down there awhile back. A little shake got them moving. I agree with dnapac on making sure you are leveled correctly too. And make sure nothing managed to fall into your subway.

#1757 2 years ago
Quoted from KSP1138:

I did some additional testing with the glass off. If you lock a ball at the gravestone, either through the secret skill shot or the normal way by hitting it 5 times, the ball will never release if you drain. It will only release if you hit that target again, which is a little difficult with the glass on and no active balls.
I tested the coils and they drop and release the target as they should, and the target switch in the back and opto switch are working properly.
The stuck switch test is reporting one stuck switch (I think it was "lower drop switch"), but as far as I know that area only has the 2 switches.

Mine is hit or miss if it will let that ball out when it drains. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't release, my switch test sees everything correctly. My stuck test does not report that switch as stuck.

#1766 2 years ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

I have my CE on order, and I can't wait - but quite honestly, after now seeing the level of service, the response to feedback regarding bugs etc, and just the sheer commitment to their machines... I decided to seek out another Spooky pin before Halloween arrives! So - with any luck from the courier gods, an almost new ACNC will be here within a couple of weeks! I'll be saving the space right next to it for Halloween.
[quoted image]

Dude that is awesome! I have been seriously thinking about trading out my AIQ for an ACNC! Having Halloween has me hungry for more Spooky! Congrats!

#1767 2 years ago
Quoted from brerspidur:

Any other details on this scenario. I just reimaged and updated to new code. I tried to recreate this with glass off by both secret skills hot and 5 hits to lock. . . .. in both cases the locked ball released as soon as the other ball drained.

Nope. Trust me it’s 100% random, at least on my machine. Spent some time glass off testing and no pattern has emerged. Going to be a tough bug to squash but I’m confident they will figure it out. For now including the drop in ball search will be a huge help. Beyond that it’s only a minor annoyance.

#1776 2 years ago
Quoted from fsumassey:

I sent this over to bug of what happened on the new code for me tonight.
I was playing the new code today.
The bug that was consistently was happening was if it went to the pumpkin any way and had one drop target up.
Once it left the pumpkin and fed to the right flipper if you hit the last drop target it will shut off the flippers and put you in mode selection
It then will drain cause the flippers don't work anymore. The next ball/next game will then try to open up with that mode selection.
This happened to me about 4-5 times tonight.
Just thought I'd give you a heads up.

Dude you figured out what was causing what seemed like a super random bug I was discussing with Bug! I couldn’t figure out what triggered it and I hadn’t had it with the latest code but I just didn’t hit the right combo of shots yet. I can now reproduce it almost every time. Seems like it won’t do it while skill shot is active, but if you hit a few things first it will almost every time. I contacted Bug about it too. This find will make it much easier to squash I’m sure. Nice find!

#1781 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Yep, not sure this update has made game play better. Introduced more bugs

No...everything mentioned was already there. We are just finally narrowing down why they happen a bit more. This update made huge strides and squashed a few big ones. The quick-fire second update that added the drop target to the ball search mitigated the lock issue until they can solve it. This pumpkin mode one was there before, but it's so specific to replicate that I'm sure many never saw it.

I can understand peoples frustration over bugs, but I ask people to be patient and remember that this is literally 1-2 dudes trying to find and figure all these out, as opposed to a large team of people at the bigger companies. Yes, that can lead to us early buyers being somewhat of beta testers, but it's the only way some of these are going to get found. Spooky has been very responsive about them and squashing them as quickly as possible. Please cut them a little slack and help them make the game all it can be (this isn't aimed just at the person I'm responding to). I'm actually enjoying this process, because I know we will get through it and it will be even more amazing in the end!

#1790 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Wasn't saying I was frustrated.
Update before didn't disrupt my game play as much as this one.
I hit the super skill shot pretty consistently so now I have to sit through a ball search and the momentary dead flipper issue has caused a ball drain for me.
I never had issues with the superskill shot ball working properly before.

Yeah totally didn't mean to single you out there. These issues are super intermittent and hard to consistently replicate. The fact that different peoples machines seem to act differently makes matters even worse. I do not envy the job of programmers at all!

#1824 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

After looking at other owners machines I’m starting to think my top upper pf house flipper is in the wrong position. How exactly should it be positioned? Here is mine. Should it test against the bottom wall so it needs to be further down?
[quoted image]

Yes, that needs to be adjusted way down to the alignment hole. Mine had also worked itself loose early on. I took the flipper bat out, scuffed up the shaft a bit where the screw holds it, and it's been fine since.

#1833 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurium:

Mine is the same? How did you get in there to loosen the flipper bat? We’re you able to do it from underneath, seems tiiiiiiiight?
Greg[quoted image]

Yeah that's a challenge. I tried to get it from the side, but I didn't have luck. Maybe the right tools would help, but I only have a regular allen key set and I couldn't get that and a socket in there for the nut at the same time. Bug says it's easier if you can lift up the backside of the playfield from the service rail position, but I didn't have a second person to hold it, and couldn't find a way to balance it that I was comfortable with.

I ended up simply taking off the upper playfield. Once I decided to do that, it was super easy. Just a few screws and it's loose. I didn't undo the wires underneath, but there was enough slack to simply pull it up a little and get to the flipper mech easily. It took like an hour plus of screwing around before doing this, and maybe 5 minutes once I decided to do it this way, LOL.

I highly suggest scuffing up the flipper shaft with some sandpaper before repositioning. The first time I just repositioned it and gorilla tightened it. Within a few games it had slipped back up. Scuffing up the shaft will give the bracket something to bite on better. Hasn't moved again yet.

Good luck!

#1850 2 years ago
Quoted from SpaceFury:

I had this happen last night. I had a ball locked in the Judith Myers tombstone drained the next ball and the locked ball would not release. I waited about 5 minutes but nothing happened. I had the same scenario earlier but I did hit the lock and the ball did release.

Known bug that is being worked on. If you have the very latest code (two updates were released rapidly, you want the second one, which is on the website now), the ball lock drop was added to the ball search to mitigate the issue when it happens.

#1855 2 years ago
Quoted from Wariodolby:

#110 has arrived !!!!
Should I trust this delivery guy?
How much should I tip ?
[quoted image]

Tip? Ask him if he sees anything he likes...

#1876 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurium:

Thanks!! I'm going to tackle tacking the pf off tonight, Any tips for this or was it just a matter of taking off some screws?

Just some screws/nuts. Really easy. Undo the spring that pulls the balcony ledge down when the ball drops off the magnet. Take off the plastic in back that has covers the diverter (and has the "curtains" plastic on it). Take off the "L" bracket that holds the upper pf to the back board. Take off the "wood" looking molded plastic that goes around the flipper. There is one or two screws under that mold that holds the upper pf to the Sanitarium pf. If I'm remembering right, that's it. Will need to wiggle it free. Should be enough wire slack to just barely get under it without unhooking stuff. Seriously like a 10 minute job. Good luck!

#1886 2 years ago

When your ceiling height sucks but you need that sweet stabbing action…

2F3EF86F-31AD-4DE6-BD12-4EEE521A452A (resized).jpeg2F3EF86F-31AD-4DE6-BD12-4EEE521A452A (resized).jpeg
#1889 2 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

How difficult was it to remove the topper? One of the big reasons I got a BSE was because of my low ceilings. Early on people were saying the topper did not look like it was easily removable.

Super easy. Five screws. The wiring had two connectors (one motor, one LED strip). I ran the wires out through the grill on the back of the cabinet (right above the power cord) instead of the head to give me a little more wire slack. I didn't even have to extend the wires. As the topper is slightly wider than the crates I put it on, I cut two little pieces of plastic (actually a repurposed old plastic protector) to support the ends of the LED strip. I didn't even screw the topper to the crate just in case I need to move it. It is much more stable than I expected. Now that I have it placed, I will probably screw it on just to be safe though.

It's cool seeing the entire knife...was surprised how curved it is but I'm sure that was needed for the range of motion. I have toyed with the idea of finding a pumpkin or zombie head or something for it to stab into, LOL.

#1909 2 years ago
Quoted from Midnighteric:

Anyone else having issues with 1.04b? If I miss a skill shot, it thinks the ball has drained and auto fires another. Very frustrating. Also, if I unlock the house and the ball drains to the pumpkin scoop, it still auto loads Death in the Driver’s Seat. I’m having the most issues with this current update.

I have not seen the first problem. I have, very occasionally, had a random ball save without draining. This has only happened maybe 3 times since I had the machine and on different code revs, so I think it's just a very intermittent issue with my machine. I'm guessing I have a slightly sensitive outlane or trough switch.

The second is how the game works. If a main mode (house, hedge, or sanitarium) is running, landing in a lit pumpkin scoop will auto-select a mode rather than having you choose. That said, it currently only selects Drivers Seat...no matter if you've already played and finished it or not. I believe that part is a bug and it will eventually be either random or select the next easiest unplayed mode.

#1910 2 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

I modified my topper to fit in my low ceiling. Made a new mounting bracket out of wood and moved over the led strip and Halloween logo.
[quoted image]

Nice! Looks great. That was my other option. It would have been super tight, but I think it might have JUST made it. I really didn't want to lose the knife and pumpkin though.

My first option, which I tried when I set it up, was to take out a ceiling tile. I had just enough room to squeeze it in between a rafter and the ceiling grid. However, you could barely see it up there, and it was so close on either side that it would hit with normal nudging (well...my normal nudging, LOL).

I'm glad I could make my crate stand work, but yours looks great as well!

19FDA5D4-5695-4892-B8BF-FDF1D068D119 (resized).jpeg19FDA5D4-5695-4892-B8BF-FDF1D068D119 (resized).jpeg
#1915 2 years ago
Quoted from Midnighteric:

I played a few games after updating to 1.04b and had the ball save thing happen 4 times so I just called it a night. After auto launching the second ball, I’d let them drain. When the next game started, it kept searching for balls but they were all in place. I’ll try and get a video today.

Did you do a switch test when it was searching for balls to confirm that it could see them all? Having not only a random ball save but also doing a ball search when starting the next game sounds like a ball trough switch issue.

The few times mine did a random ball save, it was completely fine after that, which makes me think outlane switch being set off from vibration or a short. But being yours continued to act like a ball was missing makes me suspect yours is a more persistent trough issue.

#1917 2 years ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

So, I updated for 1.04a to 1.04b. When I restarted the machine, all I get is a black screen. With a little tiny flashing message in the upper left corner that says "Pinfix" with a login date.
And of course its pinball league night.
Any suggestion?

You will need to email Fawzma to unbrick it.

[email protected]

#1921 2 years ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

Thank you
are you sure that is the right email? Sent a message and it was returned.

Hmm...not positive. Sorry I just copied and pasted from an earlier post.

Maybe this one?
[email protected]

#1926 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Shoot the targets on the sanitarium playfield?

Yup. The targets are lit but they are pretty faint. Not sure if they can be brightened up or if that's just how they are, but it would be nice if they were much brighter.

#1929 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurium:

I’ve started it a few times now and all my drop targets stay down? The 3 on the main pf and the Sanitarium one. There’s basically nothing to shoot for when I start that mode.

It's the Sanitarium stand-up targets that you need to hit. They will then drop the Sanitarium drop target.

I will pay more attention next time I play it. I got used to them being so dim you can barely see them, so honestly I might not have noticed if they no longer light at all, LOL.

#2037 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

I am having a problem with my game occasionally. The far right drop target when the ball gets put behind it it sometimes gets stuck and does not shoot out another ball in the shooter lane. When you trap the ball behind the drop target the machine is supposed to spit out another ball into play. Has anyone Come across this issue? When this happens I have to turn on and off the game.

As dnapac mentioned, that was a bug in earlier code, and was fixed in 1.04b. If you are on the latest code but still having this issue, you likely have a problem with the opto behind the lock, or maybe one of your trough switches. For some reason it doesn't know the ball is there (or thinks it is somewhere else).

But fingers crossed updating the code will fix you right up!

#2042 2 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

My biggest issue continues to be that the house mode puts the game at a dead stop. Even starting a mode during house attack keeps the house music going, making you feel like that’s all there is. There’s no timing out of it.
For future updates, I’d concentrate on how the game handles stacking and improving the on screen display instructions. The font is way too small, and callouts don’t offer instruction with some modes. It’s a little disjointed now.
Having said that, I love hedge multiball and the incidental modes. It’s a shooter’s game, definitely.

I do not mind house mode staying front and center since it's definitely a highlight (of the movie and the game), but I definitely agree that overall the stacking can use some polish. However, I'm ok with that being a back burner update down the road. To me it's modes and content first, then overall polish. I'm sure it will get there.

You're not kidding about it being a shooters game. I love how it uses all the shots...even the standups are all important. And trying to sniper the scoops during Hedge multiball is no joke! I heard a few people complain early on about how boring it will be having so many scoops. I couldn't disagree more. They each feel so different to hit and are not easy shots by any means. And it never feels like they take up space that would have been better used with something else. So many games would have just had a boring line of standup targets or an unsatisfying drop target bank there.

#2047 2 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Wonka is on another level cannot compare.

Very, very different games. I have only played Wonka a handful of times and haven't really felt the urge to play it more. I get significantly more amusement from Halloween. Like everything though, opinions will vary!

#2081 2 years ago
Quoted from murfe88:

Is there a setting to turn off the auto plunge. When you start a game it auto plunges the ball. When you drain and a new ball is put into the shooter lane it auto plunges again.

That isn't normal. The only time a ball should autoplunge is on a ball save or multiball. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure what would cause an instant autoplunge. Maybe a stuck switch somewhere? I would recommend contacting Spooky tech support. They will get you fixed right up.

#2082 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This review gave me pause. It is concerning to hear that you NEED to love the theme in order to enjoy the game. Even Iron Maiden didn't require that. I look forward to playing one

I love this game, but I am also a huge fan of the theme. I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way, but for someone who isn't a big fan of Halloween or horror in general, I would probably recommend Ultraman instead. I think the campy, giant monster battle theme might be more universal or at least "neutral" than Halloween. It's probably easier for non-fans to follow the idea of fighting monsters (even if you never heard of Ultraman) than the specific scenes from Halloween.

1 week later
#2212 2 years ago

It boggles my mind that somehow we think we are owed an explanation for every action and decision made by this company.

#2225 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

LOL... No one is expecting that. However, if the company is going to put itself out there and routinely answer questions then what's wrong with continuing to ask them? Absolutely nothing. The issue would be if a answer was expected every time which of course it isn't.
Jeff

I understand your point. My comment wasn't pointed only at you by any means. I just wish everyone would remember that these companies (not just Spooky) do not owe us anything other than the machine as advertised. It seems more and more the people in this hobby feel they are entitled to "answers" about every little thing. It's awesome that Spooky communicates the way they do, but they certainly do not owe that to us. All they really owe us are the games we paid for based on what was advertised at the time we ordered them. Anything beyond that is just them being awesome.

Quoted from curban:

I’m getting occasional game resets. Tonight it happened in two consecutive two player games. The resets seem to occur randomly in different modes. I’m running 1.04b.
Anyone else having problems with resets in this code version?

I had a small bout with game resets. I found the tilt mech wiring was not soldered well, causing an intermittent signal that seemed to piss the game off. I haven't had any issues since re-soldering it. I would check there, but if all is well there I would check over the rest of the machine carefully for flaky solder joints or shorts anywhere. Either can cause strange problems that can be hard to find. Good luck!

#2260 2 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Updating now, perfect timing!
Early thoughts:
Stalker mode is awesome! I have no idea how I started it though.

Stalker starts at the pumpkin scoop after you play two pumpkin modes. You will know it's ready because the insert will be flashing blue. You will also be unable to qualify a new pumpkin mode until after you play it.

It is an awesome mode!

Also, in case no one has noticed, Death in the Drivers Seat will no longer autostart over and over during main modes if you have already beaten it. It will now move on to the next lowest unbeaten mode, as it was meant to be.

#2261 2 years ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

Installed my knife shooter and gold powder coated housing today. Looks great!
[quoted image]

Man that looks great! Hoping mine shows up soon!

#2273 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

What happens if Michael catches you in Stalker?

The mode ends if you do not hit the hurry-up in time.

#2284 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Any video of stalker gameplay? Is the mode ending accompanied by a gruesome kill animation? Thanks

Bug does a nice walkthrough of the new modes. The Halloween portion started around 5:45.

#2349 2 years ago

Scoop rejects must vary from machine to machine. Mine almost never rejects IF it's a clean shot. As mentioned, backhands are MUCH easier to sink. Check level and pitch first. Then I would check to see if the bracket is screwed in snuggly. If nothing else obvious, a slight tweak to the bracket angle might be needed. If you try bending, remember a little goes a long way. You could also try a little drop dead foam or similar to help deaden the ball when it hits the bracket. Good luck!

#2409 2 years ago
Quoted from smokinhos:

Ok.. help me decide. Not sure if I need to jump ship or not. We have a beautiful butter cab CE ultraman.. my wife likes Michael.. should I swap out for a Halloween? Anyone play both? I know code is early.. thoughts? [quoted image]

Are you a bigger fan of the Ultraman theme than she is of the Halloween theme? If one of you are a big fan of either theme, I would say that's your answer. In my book, Halloween is a huge treat to anyone that is a fan of the film. It nails the theme integration, mood, and feel perfectly. Of course I think Ultraman does the same for it's theme, so really it comes down to which one your family is a bigger fan of.

#2498 2 years ago

It seems to me that if they shipped out all the shooter rods instead of putting them on newly built games, that would only continue the problem for longer and for more people. Sure, the first 150 would get theirs, but the next 150 would then be waiting (or whatever the number is). It would just be a circle. It makes total sense to me for them to build them into new games, and catch up on us early birds when they can.

In my opinion, they did this right. Most companies would have waited to send the entire machine until the shooter rods were available. With the current state of the world and pretty much ALL supply chains being affected, I'm happy they chose to manage it this way. I sure do want my shooter rod too, but I'm also confident that I will get it as soon as they can. In the mean time I am enjoying a fully operational machine. I do not think this is worth getting worked up over guys...they will come. Spooky will not forget about any of us.

#2579 2 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

I got my girlfriend these for Christmas.
She has been saying someone should make a Halloween pin for many years. I always laughed it off and told her it would never happen. I figured the only Halloween pin we’d ever play would be the retheme that Colson is working on. [quoted image]

Where did you find the Strode Realty sign? Very cool!

#2733 2 years ago

90% of the negativity is herd mentality and the fact that there seems to be a large portion of the population these days that thinks it makes them cool to tear someone or something apart. The louder they cry on a public platform, the more attention they get. It's nauseating. Are there some legitimate concerns? Sure...there always is with every game. But the current negativity towards these games is pretty ridiculous and largely driven by a few individuals who seem to have some sort of vendetta against Spooky.

The layout is very unique and fun to shoot, even the upper playfields which I'm not usually a huge fan of. There are more shots than the vast majority of games released. The code is deeper than it gets credit for, and uses the entire playfield(s) in some creative ways. The art is GORGEOUS. The A/V assets are well used, especially the sounds and music which put a huge smile on my face as a fan of the theme. It's a really great game all around, no matter how many people want to dispute that. Sure, everyone has their own opinions of what makes a great game, but this is FAR from the trainwreck some would lead you to believe. Even taking all emotion and preference out of the equation, it's a solid game.

Are there some bugs? Sure. Could it use more code? Yup. Are there some quality control issues? Yup. Every single manufacturer has the same issues. Spooky has straight out demonstrated progress on every one of these issues. Not just talk, action. Is it as fast as everyone would like? Nope. They are a TINY company...a fraction of the size of the big boys, so yes, it's going to take longer in some cases. But they have shown real progress on every issue. People have been hired, bugs have been squashed, code continues to be added.

Bottom line is they deserve a heck of a lot more grace, patience, and trust than they have been getting lately.

#2757 2 years ago
Quoted from BriannaWu:

My distributor, PinballSTAR wrote me today, asking if I wanted butter on my Halloween cabinet. it’s $1000.
What do you all think? Is it worth it?

Not springing for the butter is literally my only regret about Halloween. The decals look great, but the art is so damn good that as a huge fan of the theme, I should have gone for the best. I would say if you are a big fan, and consider it a bit of a showpiece in your collection, go for it. If it's "just another machine" for you, and it will just be shoved in the middle of a line up anyway, maybe not.

#2769 2 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

These are all the assholes who bought to flip or had huge FOMO. I hope everyone of them are stuck with the game or lose money.

I wouldn't lump everyone together. There are definitely some with legit reasons. Priorities change, things come up, etc. That's understandable. I even cut some slack to those that ordered (out of FOMO or just plain love of the theme or company), but change their mind after getting to actually play one. Not every game is for every person, and when machines are selling out before anyone can play them, I can see why people worry about missing out. Heck, I took that gamble myself. Thankfully I love the game, so it worked out for me, but I can see how people would want to get out of a preorder if they do not like it after finally playing it.

I do have to agree that I don't mind seeing the speculators/flippers get burned though.

1 week later
#2929 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I think I got the 'stuck in a mode' thing a couple times now - the multiball part doesn't end when draining to one ball - had it happen in hedge and house on different games. I had this state once with a ball locked in Judith and it ended the multiball mode when it kicked out the Judith ball, so it has proper track of balls. Is this single-ball time a last chance at the super jack? If so is it timed or run til you get the super?
I got a 2-ball Stalker mode once... drained down to one ball during Hedge and got callout to hit pumkin asap (for multiball restart), but the pumpkin was lit blue and it started Stalker instead. After stalker intro it did kick out a second ball, although the hedge mode appeared to be gone. Unfortunately both balls drained quickly afterward.

Have you reported these to SpookyBug ? I haven't seen either of these but haven't gotten a chance to play much lately. I do not think there is any sort of single-ball last chance feature other than the ability to restart Hedge. So that definitely sounds like a bug. And the second one for sure sounds like a bug. Is it repeatable? I will try to do it later today.

#2935 2 years ago
Quoted from GreenMachine19:

Ok I’m out of ideas. I’ve reloaded the software. I’ve replaced the balls. I’ve reseated the solenoid bank 2 connector. I’ve upped the power on the coil. My game is at 6.5 degrees level per recommendation. I’ve checked all the trough switches in switch test. Anybody got anything else? My game works totally fine otherwise. Just can’t get balls out of the trough consistently. It seems to have gotten worse over time. It has to try multiple times to get a ball in the shooter lane. Does it need a longer duration pulse to get that ball to come out?

Sorry if I missed it, but have you called Spooky tech support? Sounds like you've exhausted all the logical stuff, so I would get them involved now (if they aren't already). Best of luck!

1 week later
#3168 2 years ago
Quoted from GreenMachine19:

My game now flawlessly ejects balls into the shooter lane. What a pain in the ass that was to figure out.

Great find. Sometimes with pinball, you just have to go with what works. Don't try to make sense of it, just nod your head and be happy it works, LOL!

Congrats on finally figuring it out! Enjoy the evil!

#3202 2 years ago
Quoted from Svente69:

Hey Spooky guys,
Here's a reminder of an older entry,
which has been lost (update announcement):
in the German pinball forum we are currently creating a current pinball quartet together.
This is the second post about this!
https://www.flippermarkt.de/community/forum/threads/flipper-quartett-2022-bestell-threat-unbindlich-zur-abschaetzung-der-ditional-height.243832/
In the field of current pinball, Halloween has also been chosen. Unfortunately there are no devices in Germany yet.
We need a photo of the flipper switched on (without glass) but with the lockbar in good resolution.
And the same again only from the playfield.
It would be nice if you take some photos and upload them here:
https://nextcloud.pkg.logoip.de/index.php/s/RErmaZm8HcbecG8
Please save under category V1-V4 with the name V2 - Halloween.
The image rights to the photos are transferred to the creator of the quartet (Patrick Neukäter) through the upload, but exclusively for use in the pinball quartet 2022!
Of course I'll post a photo of the finished card afterwards .
I guess the manufacturer also delivers to other countries.....
Thank you in advance……

I realize there is a language barrier here, but I have no idea what you are talking about. What is a "current pinball quartet"? What are you using these photos you are requesting for? Being you mentioned image rights transferring, is this something you are selling and will be profiting off of other people's photos?

2 weeks later
#3569 2 years ago

I think everyone will be happy about the combination of new content and serious bug squashage in the new code.

#3630 2 years ago

The scoop must vary some from machine to machine. Mine is a pretty easy shot from either flipper. Left is definitely harder. From a trap isn't too bad if shot clean. On the fly is much more hit or miss, and in those cases I do tend to shoot to the asylum and let it drain in. I love that option...mostly because I adore that hidden ramp shot. So satisfying.

Backhanding the scoop from the right flipper is super easy. Almost can't miss it.

#3671 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmatic:

Don't know if this would fit, but maybe you could add something related to "thorn". I know this was brought into later movies, so not sure if it would fit with this theme or not.

No, that wouldn't fit at all. This machine is based only on the first movie.

I will keep all other opinions of that entire subplot to myself...

#3734 2 years ago

Anyone notice Weird Al has a butt-pretzel? Upper playfield snack bar into the lock area. Imitation is the best form of flattery!

#3962 2 years ago

It's been said before, but is worth repeating. Make sure you are following the "eject" procedure when yanking your USB stick out of your computer. My best guess (and this is just a guess) is the bulk of people bricking their machines are not ejecting. Because no one ever bothers hitting eject. Also, make absolutely sure you don't have another older code version sitting in the folder you are downloading to (or on your USB stick), because windows will take it upon itself to rename the file if you do. Renamed file = brick. I'd bet tree fiddy that 90% of bricked machines are from one of those two issues. The other 10% is just bad luck. Spooky will sort it out for you!

And to address Jack O Lantern multiball...I'm pretty sure you do not need to finish 3 modes...just play 3 modes. And it's awesome.

Great job Spooky...it's shaping up quite nicely! I'm sure you guys will work through the remaining issues people are having.

#3967 2 years ago
Quoted from John_C:

Yes, I noticed this on mine as well. I just assumed it's a new "confirmation" of your selection.

It's another "HEY LOOK OVER HERE THIS IS WHERE THE BALL IS GOING TO COME OUT OF!!" attention getter. Because people still complain about losing the ball when it comes out.

#3970 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

I know how to eject a USB... If that was directed at me.
Jeff

Actually I was pegging you for the 10% bad luck category since it sounds like you've tried following everything as well as possible. You are understandably frustrated, but please do not assume everyone is against you. I am sure Spooky will get you sorted out and I hope you are super happy with this update once you can play it!

Quoted from TheLaw:

That sounds like Mac talk!

LOL...see...this is how (some) people brick their machine. Assuming the rules do not apply to them!

#3985 2 years ago

Another thing to try would be plugging directly into the board instead of the extension cable. Just one more variable to eliminate from the chain. Stranger Things (hey wrong game!) have happened!

1 week later
#4336 2 years ago
Quoted from SharkDiver:

So does anyone find the two hard modes, Let Me In and Laurie Slashes Back far easier to complete than the easy ones especially Bob and Lindas demise or is that just me? I crush Laurie Slashes Back every time while Bob and Linda theres so much to do for completion thats almost always a fail. I'd get Annie more often were not for that right orbit shot, that one I just cant seem to hit for the life of me.

I agree. I love the B&L mode, but it doesn't belong in the "easy" section. Just so many shots, including the balcony. I'd probably call it the hardest mode in the game. And yes...there is a joke in that statement somewhere...

Annie isn't bad. I love the right orbit. Tough shot, but not bad, and oh so satisfying when you hit it. I think I actually have more trouble with the left, but neither are THAT bad. Balcony is way harder, to me at least.

3 weeks later
#4881 2 years ago

I'm sure the intent was to build and ship in order. But say you get a machine 90% done and then boom, supply chain craziness means you can't finish it. Do you just sit and wait for the parts, or do you keep building as much as possible? Obviously, you do not just sit around. So now, as Luke just mentioned, you have literally hundreds of games waiting to be finished off. From that point, logistically it would be almost impossible to finish and ship them from the first ones started to the last ones started. You are going to finish and ship out the closest ones to the door first. If say number 20 is buried behind numbers 21-60, are you really going to dig out number 20 first, or are you going to follow whatever the logical work flow is to get them all out the door as quickly as possible? Maybe a huge company with tons of floor space can make a "first in first out" system work perfectly in that scenario, but you have to remember Spooky is not a huge place with unlimited resources. They are doing the best with what they have.

Cut them some slack guys. You will all get your games. There isn't some tin foil hat conspiracy going on to hold certain numbers back on purpose.

#4889 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Don't strawman it up at the end No has mentioned anything weird; just a simple question on numbering.

That's fair. Point taken. No personal attack intended. Hope you get your game soon and enjoy it!

#4907 2 years ago
Quoted from John_C:

Could someone explain the rules for pumpkin mode "Death in the Drivers Seat"?
I have played that mode quite a few times and it seems the right orbit has a problem registering when I hit that shot. I have run the switch tests repeatedly and the switches test good EVERY time. I also have the "rubber sleeve" trick in place on the right guide to ensure the switch is actuated properly when the ball rolls by.
I don't understand the colors either when making those shots. I know the shot will indicate green when you make it, but then after a bit that shot indicator turns red. What do the different colors mean?
Is there a sequence or a time limit you have to follow when shooting the two orbits and the two ramps?

Hit both ramps and both orbits (in any order), then pumpkin scoop to complete the mode. I do not have a problem with my right orbit registering, so I doubt that is a code issue.

I'm not 100% on the insert colors. I think they are green as long as they are shot in a combo sequence and not repeated. But it does seem like they sometimes turn red randomly. I haven't figured out that logic. Maybe there is only a certain amount of time that they stay green for maximum points? I know it doesn't matter for mode completion, but there might be a points difference depending on color. There is no overall timer for this mode.

#4909 2 years ago
Quoted from John_C:

Well, that's what I assumed would be the game play but that isn't what is happening on mine. Based on what I am seeing, that right orbit does not register about 75% of the time I hit it, but seemingly only during that mode. As far as I can tell, the switch is registering every time outside of "Death in the Drivers Seat" mode. And as mentioned, the switch for the right orbit tests good without fail.

That's really weird. I can only speak for my machine, but it has never failed to register the right orbit (that I have noticed at least!). Might be worth a call to Spooky to get their thoughts. Good luck!

1 week later
#5228 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I honestly think, no hyperbole or tears , it has had to be rebooted 50% of the times its been powered on to play correctly.

Yikes. Yeah that isn't a normal bug. I'm afraid there is something more going on with your machine. I would try a new code image install first. (sorry if that's already been discussed)

1 week later
#5649 1 year ago
Quoted from Mkvgti:

Are we going to glaze over this fire hazard? Or is it a rare instance most owners currently haven't experienced?

This was one isolated incident. Let's not turn it into yet another Spooky witch hunt.

1 week later
#5957 1 year ago

The new code has some really great, creative stuff! Just wait until you lock that sixth ball during Boogeyman. Freaking Epic!

This game is shaping up VERY nicely. Well done Spooky family! Can't wait to see what else you have in store for us!

#6053 1 year ago

Game reset is very nice...I had missed that being added.

That said, a game end feature would be even better. Stern has started to use a "hold left flipper and start button for a few seconds" to end the game completely. I think it needs to be enabled in the settings. I would love to see that become an industry standard.

Same with the backbox dimming feature. It can be 100% bright for attract mode, but set to dim as far as you want during play to eliminate reflections.

Also, knocker for extra balls, replay, and high scores. I love having my Sterns knock 5 times for a new grand champ....with the knocker volume set to low at least. Since you guys have a real knocker, let's use that baby.

4 weeks later
#6660 1 year ago

As a huge fan of the movie, having seen it literally dozens of times, I find the Loomis voice actor to be very close to Donald Pleasence in both sound and delivery. Definitely not perfect, but it's not like they could get the real thing, unfortunately. I will say that the volume balance needs work, since some of the callouts are overblown and cause some distortion/clipping even at lower volumes, but that will be tweaked in the future, I'm sure.

If you find them so horrible that they are ruining the experience for you, I have to wonder if there is something wrong with your machine's audio. I find my main volume needs to be turned down very far before there is a noticeable reduction in volume. I would also take a look at the settings on your amp and compare them to the factory settings. I think I saw them posted in this thread somewhere, otherwise Spooky can confirm them. It's very possible that one of the settings were bumped out of wack during assembly or shipping.

#6677 1 year ago

The movie itself isn't silly, but some of the dialog is, especially Loomis. His character was always written as borderline crazy himself...and his dialog reflects that both in the movie and the pin. Anyone saying his lines in the machine are cringe-worthy is absolutely right...and they should be...because that IS the character.

#6683 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Downvotes coming from a guy who I’m sure has never seen ‘Deep Red (75)’ an Argento film that undoubtedly influenced Carpenter to make Halloween.
That’s cute.

I know this isn't directed at me, but I loves me some Argento. Deep Red is awesome. I need to watch it again...been too long and I haven't watched the 4K yet.

Sounds like both of you enjoy the movie and the machine, so peace, love, and pinball guys!

2D09673D-B26B-4A7D-9FC9-D7E7A2F7529A (resized).jpeg2D09673D-B26B-4A7D-9FC9-D7E7A2F7529A (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#6819 1 year ago

Yeah that diverter can make a HUGE difference with the tiniest change. I found that mine didn't need to jump an entire tooth, but just loosening the screw gave quite a bit of adjustment "within" each tooth. Mine was reject city at first, highly dependent on which flipper you shot it with when it was in either position. It took a little trial and error to find the sweet spot, but now I can shoot with either flipper to either position with very few rejects on a clean shot. It is crazy how sensitive this shot is to perfect diverter positioning.

#6841 1 year ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Agreed. It would be much more practical if they added a few seconds of time to the timer.

Adding time to House mode would be a brilliant use of the Sanitarium playfield! I struggle making the crossover shot on my machine. Since the timer was added to House, I end up timing out a high percentage of the time on the last shot, which is super frustrating and sucks the fun out of the mode for me. I have asked for the option to turn off the timer or at minimum save progress, but adding time (instead of the almost useless health increase) would be a great alternative. Maybe even add time with the stand-ups, increase jackpot value with the scoop after lowering the drop target?

#6887 1 year ago

Sorry if I misunderstood, but didn't you mention that Spooky replaced the mold/guide and balls are still getting stuck? That leads me to believe that there is an issue with the mounting tolerances on your machine rather than with the mold. If you loosen the screws that hold the mold on, will the ball fit? If not, could the butt pretzel metal ball guide above it or the post at the end of that guide be a bit low and deforming the plastic? If either of those are pressing down into the plastic, that could narrow the opening. I would try loosening all of those screws and see if the ball fits. Then figure out which one is deforming the mold. Once you figure that out, you might be able to oval out the hole on the suspect mount to give yourself some more adjustment. If it's the post, often there is some slop between the screw size and the inner diameter of the post, so just loosening it might allow you to push it over a bit for more clearance before re-tightening. Hopefully whatever it is will not require re-drilling the playfield, but if it does, at least it should be in a hidden spot. Good luck!

#6889 1 year ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Thanks for the tips guys. I could probably try the heat gun technique, but I was never good at chemistry class. I was always scared of those damn busnon burners. Heat and flames and me are asking for disaster.
Secondly, yes you are right, if I loosen the two screws holding the mold down, then viola.. the ball moves freely. so I tried to leave it in there loose but then the screws look odd not being flush w/ the mold. Maybe I willl try moving that post a bit and see if that helps.
Worse case I will go to the sanding that the other pinsider did.
Spooky did send me a new mold. But there were no drill holes in it. So I had no idea how to put it on! See pic
This is what i got in the mail[quoted image]

Oh! I missed the part about the replacement not being drilled. That sucks. I'm sure they will make it right, but obviously that doesn't help you in the short term.

If loosening the screws lets the ball move freely, I think I would try increasing the size of the holes a bit so they are not creating tension when you snug them back down. Hopefully you can get enough space without being too large for the screw head, but you could always throw a washer on it if need be too. It is likely the one directly above the ball path, but you never know. Hope you get it fixed up without too much more trouble!

1 week later
#7064 1 year ago

House is absolutely perfect now. Changing the timer to lower Laurie's health and using the Sanitarium and main playfield standups to regain health is awesome. House went from a bit frustrating with timing out all the time to just right in my book. I never really had a problem with using the spinners to lower Michael's health, but adding the sanitarium scoop to do a bit of extra damage is a nice extra. We all wanted more to do on that playfield, and since in House mode you are going to drain there anyway, it is a great use....much better than just waiting for it to drain all the way down all the time. If something has to change now, I would do it as menu options to turn off "sanitarium help" and/or "save progress" during house for those that want to keep it difficult. I would personally leave it alone though.

I am thrilled with this update so far! Nice work guys! Can't wait to see the new animations when they are ready.

#7072 1 year ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Agreed. Great polish on the latest code.
Having said that, I’d recommend Laurie’s health to down a bit faster. Pretty much every shot will regenerate her health, and each House Attack results in Mike’s health all the way down and Laurie’s health at max pretty quickly.

I'm not totally (ha) against that. As much as I hated the timer timing out all the time before, it does seem pretty easy to keep Laurie's health at max now. It could go a little faster, but I wouldn't get crazy, LOL. It will be a tough balance point, I'm sure. Too fast and it's back to square one...too slow and it's never a threat. But I do agree...a little faster would be fine and add some urgency.

#7176 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

BUG ALERTS V 1.08
- Extra ball purchased in blood store does not award an extra ball.
- After completing six ball boogeyman mode the pumpkin lights but does not grant access to blood store after hitting the shot repeatedly. Also, post Boogeyman the orbits do not light to qualify the next mode. (I had completed every mode except Stalker…Dont know if this info will help in finding the bug)
There are a few other bugs but these are mega bummers that need to be addressed right away imo. Also…was the in game awarded extra ball removed?
Side note: House mode now runs forever and takes over the entire game once you do light it. With the saved Michael progress (which I love) I feel like Lauries health can decline MUCH faster. Allowing you to light and re-light the house mode in stacks or otherwise without it taking over the whole game. Most players want a dynamic game play experience and don’t necessarily love it when they are cornered into a never ending mode especially if they do not wish to complete it at that time. Speeding up Lauries health decline will make House a more exciting and dynamic mode that you can play in and out of, building progress throughout a single game. Gotta find the sweet spot here! Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.
[This was my final score and I beat the game with no extra balls which I’m proud of BUT…I should have had TWO extra balls and my score likely would have been astronomical. But if a bummer but it was STILL FUN haha]
[quoted image]

After playing a few more games, I tend to agree with you that her health could go down faster. Maybe even as much as twice as fast as now. As much as I hated house timing out all the time, with progression that will not be nearly as painful now. So far I haven't had a game where I was anywhere near timing out.

2 weeks later
#7490 1 year ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I've got a challenge for everyone this weekend. I want to know how many Super Jackpots you can get in House / Jirahs. The current record here is 17.

Sounds like someone needs to program a leaderboard for that...

#7509 1 year ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

Luke, this question is mostly for you, but is there a way to manually tweak the position of the diverter servo?
I am having problems where in position 1, it's too far to the left and the ball is striking the bottom right corner of the diverter as it goes into the upper playfield flipper area, and in position 2 it's too far to the right and the ball coming up the ramp will hit the top right corner of the diverter and reject.
What do I do to fix this?
RM[quoted image]

I'm no Luke, but I can say my diverter has some play within each tooth when you loosen the screw. For me making an entire tooth jump also was not helping, but tweaking the position within the tooth made all the difference. Just hold the diverter plate where you want it as you are tightening the screw back down. Mine took a lot of trial and error, and it will likely move again over time, but it's easy to do at least. It is amazing the huge difference a fraction of a degree can make in the shots rejecting or not. Currently I can make the ramp in either direction, from either flipper 95% of the time if the shot is clean. Before adjusting there were certain combinations of diverter direction and flipper side that simply would never work.

2 months later
#9727 1 year ago

It's not fair to generalize and lump all tournament players together. Are there tournament players that do not like the game? Sure. Are there non-tournament players that do not like the game? Also sure. There are also plenty of tournament players that can in fact turn off that part of their focus and enjoy a game for its theme, atmosphere, and progression. Just because there is a subset of players that enjoy point driven strategy, it doesn't have to be one or the other. I could be considered a "tournament player" sometimes, but I also love my Halloween. I can see why it isn't an ideal tournament game, but that doesn't change the fact that I love it in a home environment. Enjoyment of a game can absolutely be situational.

#9749 1 year ago

I get what you are saying (and agree!) about needing a good grasp of the game before forming an opinion. BUT...I think there is a big gap between that and needing to finish a game in order to review it. I have played Star Trek hundreds of times and consider it one of my favorite games, but I've never made it to Five Year Mission (heck, only got Enterprise Amok once or twice). I still think I would be fairly qualified to put in a review of it. I'm guessing 99% of the people who have reviewed LOTR have never reached Valinor. I totally (ha) agree that people who randomly bash a ball around for a few minutes before forming an opinion are missing out and not giving it a fair shot. There are always going to be people that do not click with a game though, and that's ok. I'm guilty of it myself...I have never really learned how to play Hobbit. Just from bashing the ball around, I am not a big fan. But I'm not going to come put in a crappy review of it or go bash it in every thread I can. I will however give my friends some good natured crap about how much it sucks, LOL.

Heck, even food critics usually do not finish a meal...they just make sure they have enough of a sample to accurately judge the quality. (I'm only basing that on watching Food Network game shows...which I'm sure are a 100% accurate take on real life, LOL ).

#9803 1 year ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

So we are playing this game…a lot
In fact it’s all we are playing now
Time to clean the playfield anybody have a suggestion seems like anything you use nowadays fucks the field up

A good rule is only use the least strong/abrasive cleaner that it takes to get the job done. Most common and well loved playfield cleaner is Novus 2, but honestly that's overkill in most cases, especially with newer clearcoated machines. Novus 1 will almost always do the job. Heck, honestly I bet a nice clean microfiber rag all by itself will take care of it at this point. I rely a lot on Novus 1...only busting out the 2 when it's needed. Follow up with a nice carnauba paste wax (which again is honestly not needed over clearcoat, but it gives some amount of protection, speed, and makes it easier to clean again later).

#9806 1 year ago

Yeah I hope that was a joke. Either way, I hope anyone doesn't actually try that. It always amazes me when people ask about different products that may or may not be sketchy when Novus exists, is easy to get, is cheap, and has been proven for years to be safe and effective.

2 months later
#11564 1 year ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I think I've posted this before, but m4tt has done a LOT of behind the scenes code work in this update. It's probably going to go unnoticed, which is okay, but it should allow us to push out more frequent updates for Halloween and Ultraman. Also one thing not mentioned in Matt's notes that I'm super excited about is the upper diverter now has fine tune home settings. In the menu, you can now really dial in the positioning for both sides to make that center ramp shot as smooth as possible.

Oh NICE!! I have found that the tiniest adjustment (within the slop of each tooth) can make a huge difference in flowy goodness vs rejects. And mine tends to creep over time and needs adjustment again (I hesitate to use Loctite here or to overtighten, so probably my own fault). Having it as a fine tune adjustment will be huge. I'm definitely looking forward to this update and am happy to see fresh blood (pun intended) on the code!

#11661 1 year ago
Quoted from m4tt:

The good thing about having programmers in New Zealand as well, is that it's tomorrow afternoon here =) so I'm still on the clock and already looking at stuff like video clips we can hear but not see, as well as a couple of other things people have emailed through to me. Keep those coming to [email protected] and we'll get it sorted.

FANTASTIC work so far! I am very glad you are on the Spooky team. Looking forward to seeing where you take it from here. Keep up the great work!

#11666 1 year ago

Very interesting that we have an avatar now by our score. Is this completely random? I wonder if this is a precursor to some sort of character select? I only got two quick games in, but had Loomis one game and Annie once. Even if it's just a random add with nothing more to it, I like it!

As others have said...freaking killer ball save screen. My only suggestion would be make the text smaller and maybe a less stark/generic font. But it's awesome. And I think I caught a glimpse of another "adult mode" moment of Judith getting stabbed? Good stuff.

#11805 1 year ago

Stacking is probably the biggest place that still needs attention in my opinion (other than bugs, though I haven't run into any yet, I know some have), and I'm sure they will get there with time. I have no problem with that being one of the later things to be tweaked, but I hope it is on the to-do list. Shot indicators color changing to show what they are lit for, instructions for what you should be doing for each stacked mode, and especially the A/V assets being shown and prioritized for each. My personal opinion is since there is plenty of real estate to use on the LCD, have either a split screen or at least a "picture-in-picture" so you can see what is going on in both things stacked. Stacking is a tricky balance in pretty much every game, and some designers handle it better than others. In the era of nice big LCD screens, I am always surprised that the space isn't better utilized when stacking on most games. I'm confident Matt will clean it up at some point, and again I am not in a huge rush for it. It will come.

#11817 1 year ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Thoughts on the blood drop showing all the time? I like the image im not sure needs to always be there. I also saw free play flashing on top of free play where the characters are - not needed. Something was off with the Judith meyers mode crashing in to other modes as others have said.

I don't mind it, but do not find it super necessary. That could be an instant info thing in my opinion. If it stays onscreen, I would shrink it quite a bit. Leave room for more important things (stacking info, etc). But not a huge issue either way.

Also agree the only time it should say free play is during attract mode.

1 month later
#12622 1 year ago
Quoted from runpaulone:

Can anyone help with the plunger issue I have? Just purchased this a week ago, got it set up and plunger does not hit the ball anywhere near well enough to get it moving. Should the plunger hit the ball or the metal object resting on it? Sorry for my lack or knowledge on proper terminology. Spring seems very weak compared to other pins I just bought.
Thank you. -Paul
[quoted image]

That definitely needs adjustment. You will need to reposition the manual plunger housing so the plunger can hit the center of the ball. I am kind of amazed it can be shoved over that far. Are you sure the playfield is seated all the way in the cabinet?

#12629 1 year ago
Quoted from runpaulone:

I lifted the playfield and set it back in. Here’s where I’m at. Should I try to pull it back?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks like you are going to have to reposition the shooter housing. Those screws on the inside of the plate surrounding the manual plunger will need to be loosened and then you should be able to slide it over and retighten them. It looks like you may be missing a couple of those screws for the bottom of the plate? Get it as centered as possible both left/right and up/down before you retighten. And snug them up good so it doesn't move again.

#12633 1 year ago
Quoted from runpaulone:

Snugged it left by bars. Should I pull PF back? Now the ball makes it onto the PF but seems weak. Should the ball make it up to the top and to the left side easily?
[quoted image]

That plunger still needs to be moved over. You will not be able to fix this by just shifting your playfield to the side. The manual plunger should not hit or rub on the auto plunger (the metal fork) at all. It should be perfectly centered (as well as possible) on the ball with the playfield resting in its normal position.

#12634 1 year ago
Quoted from runpaulone:

WTH this comes rolling down the PF after playing for a minute.
[quoted image]

Looks like a post broke off somewhere. My guess would be one of the upper playfields if it made it on to your main playfield. I would see if any posts or other attachment points are loose on the two upper playfields.

#12636 1 year ago
Quoted from runpaulone:

Should the cover my hand is on be screwed to the playfield bars behind? It’s just laying on top and scratching the PF.
[quoted image][quoted image]

The entire apron is just laying there? Yes, that definitely needs to be attached. Where did you get this machine? I can't imagine it was NIB from the factory?

#12642 1 year ago
Quoted from runpaulone:

This was “basically new” from Jason at Classic Game Rooms in GA.

Did you play it first? Or was it a "blind buy"? Because that was either messed up already, or took some major abuse in travel.

#12645 1 year ago
Quoted from runpaulone:

I played it and asked “is the plunger this weak”? He said “yes on this game.” He’s a Spooky dealer. We packed it very well and it was strapped to the inside of an enclosed uhaul trailer. I’m not familiar with pins but I’m not an idiot when it comes to moving things.

Sorry, I did not mean to imply you are an idiot in any way. Just trying to figure out what happened that the machine is in this condition. I hate to make assumptions about the dealer, but...yikes. He is 100% wrong that the plunger is supposed to be weak on this game. It should make a full orbit with no problem. And any good dealer would have seen this issue immediately and known how to fix it. As for how the apron became completely loose...no idea. I hope it didn't harm your playfield too much. Best of luck getting it all fixed up. I would personally beware of this dealer in the future.

#12653 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

With a standard shooter, I 100% agree, but the knife shooter has issues. It is badly out of balance, and mine is physically shorter than the standard one. Maybe the length issue was corrected, but I would never say the OEM knife one is solid and has tons of power (at least in my case).

Not doubting you at all, but I haven't had any issue with my knife shooter. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "balance" in this case, but it never had any trouble making a full plunge around the orbit, and it's pretty fast at full plunge. I wouldn't say TONS of power, but plenty for what it needs to do. Hopefully yours was an isolated or rare issue.

#12665 1 year ago
Quoted from runpaulone:

I’m not going to fault him for it. He has a great collection and was helpful. I’m not sure he was even aware of this. He’s on pinside as a dealer. I called him and he suggested I shift the PF or adjust rod, but clearly the bars were bent. Looking fwd to rocking this game, once I get those sheet metal screws.

Glad you got it fixed! I have a feeling the snapped bolt and nut that tumbled down your playfield might be one of your apron bolts. I checked mine and it is nutted from the back like that. Hard to tell if the size is right, but I think it's possible. That would mean the rest of it, and the other one, are likely in there somewhere. I would put the playfield up and see if you can find them laying in the bottom of the cab or caught up in the wiring harness, subway, etc. If it's in the subway it could cause ball hangups down there (and this game already can suffer from that pretty easily without help). If it's in the wiring harness under the playfield, it could work its way into somewhere and cause a short. I would try to find them before they find you.

CBED1F72-50F5-48AC-877E-6175AA6185FF (resized).jpegCBED1F72-50F5-48AC-877E-6175AA6185FF (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#12879 1 year ago

One Spooky pair!

467BE070-FD31-4A79-A01E-413F74A250D7 (resized).jpeg467BE070-FD31-4A79-A01E-413F74A250D7 (resized).jpegE52D36D6-7856-4F7B-B602-6A0A8405EBF6 (resized).jpegE52D36D6-7856-4F7B-B602-6A0A8405EBF6 (resized).jpeg
#12893 1 year ago
Quoted from Ratman:

I’ve noticed that most of the middle ramp rejects on my machine are when I need to get to the house…anyone know the fix for this???
Also, whoever keeps the spreadsheet I am the new owner of CE 154.
I am loving the game but would like to resolve the middle ramp issue

Play with the diverter servo settings. It will be trial and error. There should be a happy medium where you can make either left or right diverter shots from either flipper most of the time. I have never gotten it 100% perfect, but you can get it pretty good. I am so thankful for the menu setting as before that you had to physically tweak the diverter, either from the slop in the screw hole tolerance or rotating it an entire tooth. Now there is much finer adjustments possible much easier. But it takes a little time to dial in. What is perfect from the left flipper may not be good for the right flipper because of how the ball rides up the fairly wide ramp. It will likely never be perfect but it can get much better!

#13076 1 year ago

Only played a few, but loving the update!

I will be completely honest...I think it would be best to make House multiball completely stand alone....no stacking allowed. Make it so you can only qualify it and start it if nothing else is running. This seems to be the best way to solve the problem of overlapping shots, overlapping A/V, and make it overall less confusing. It may also be a bit more difficult to start if the center ramp only qualifies for it when nothing else is going on. Don't get me wrong...I love stacking, but you have to be careful about what modes can stack together and work. Many games have a multiball or two that can stack, and some that do not. To me that seems like a good idea here. Let Sanitarium stack since the middle playfield isn't used for any pumpkin mode shots anyway. Same with Hedge (although I could see the argument for that being stand alone also). And leave House as it's own separate thing. Now that there is a timer involved, it's not like you can get too "stuck" in the mode and stay locked out of the rest of the game for too long. Maybe even make that timer a bit quicker if that is a concern (difficulty setting?). If you have a ball locked in the tombstone, you can stack that in if you hit it...and that might be a good strategy doubling your House jackpots!

If I understand it correctly, Scooby's Captain Cutler multiball is like this...you can't qualify it or start it if you are already in a mode. That seems like the perfect solution here. You still have three other multiballs that CAN stack (now that tombstone is a "real" multi)...House really doesn't need to. Makes it more special, and allows those shots to be used for other modes without things getting all muddled.

Also...I am conflicted about taking the balcony shot away from Bob and Lynda. It makes so much sense with the mode, and I love it being there. But it does make the mode feel too hard for an "easy mode". My vote is to leave it in!

Just my two cents! Love the game either way.

#13172 1 year ago

I think in general, Halloween could learn a lot from Scooby Doo. Even in its still super early state, Scooby is extremely clear and unmuddled overall. Everything from selectively not allowing certain things to stack (Cutler doesn’t qualify or start during modes), instructions are (mostly) clear and easy to read during the mode introductions, etc. I would love to see some of these code design philosophies trickle “backwards” into Halloween. Obviously they are very different games, and do not want to see carbon copied code, but there are definite lessons to be learned.

#13174 1 year ago
Quoted from finnflash:

My pretzel does not work well, in 4 months I may have hit both spinners with 1 shot 3 times. Most of the time it hits the spinner and bounces around. And when I do hit the first spinner square, the ball almost stops at the flipper. It has no momentum to go to the 2nd spinner.

You might need to play with the flipper angle and ball guides a bit. Mine took a little tweaking and still isn’t perfect every time, but most good shots make a yummy pretzel.

2 months later
#14217 11 months ago

Simple solution is House just shouldn't stack with anything else. Only make progress towards starting it and actually start it with no other modes running. Let the other multiballs alone...just keep House all to itself. That will solve the diverter confusion issues, the Bob and Linda issues, and even the "too easy to start House" issues if the shots only count outside of modes. There is nothing wrong with a non-stacking multiball. Lots of games have them. Especially since others can.

4 months later
#15840 6 months ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Just watched a Scooby doo clip, looks like the same kind of mini pc but probably higher spec now. Booted in less than 20 seconds, how come ours takes forever? The one thing that annoys me the most is the boot time, I used to pour a beer from my True while waiting but stopped drinking. Maybe I should start again lol.

Scooby doesn't boot anywhere near that fast. In fact, Halloween boots about 20 seconds faster. I just timed mine side by side. Halloween took 1:35 while Scooby took 1:55.

2 weeks later
#15938 6 months ago

I just replaced my Michael servos with the metal gear ones recommended in the key post in this thread. Unfortunately I am now having bigger problems. Without the Michaels attached, they seem fine. When attached, they vibrate like crazy after moving. If I touch them while vibrating it stops. Oddly if I loosen the screws holding on Michael to the servo shaft so they are barely on, two of the three no longer shake. When tightened properly, they again shake. Generally if I just leave them shake, they will stop after a few seconds. I do not know much about servos, but it seems like the backlash in the gears could be the issue, and when the Michaels are loose there is just enough extra pressure on the gear to lessen the backlash? Anyone have a similar issue when changing their servos?

#15942 6 months ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

The first 2 of 3 metal ones I fitted I had issues, they would do the shaky thing. When I checked them the plastic casing was cracked allowing movement in the gears. Replaced them with the same type and no issues.

Thanks. I guess I will order another set and see. Just weird that all three are like this. I pulled one out and didn't notice cracks, but hard to say for sure. I tried the servo test with it in my hand and didn't have an issue, but as soon as it is screwed in place / rigid, there is the shake/vibration. Weird.

1 week later
#16015 6 months ago
Quoted from Pipoufle:

Thank you. I've checked and all the backbox speakers and the cabinet speaker crackles. I tried to unplug and plug again on the amp, no change. I've also checked the connections on the speakers side, no change also...
To clarify: it looks like a white noise

Try turning the main volume knob on the amp itself down a bit, and then the game volume (buttons) up to compensate.

3 weeks later
#16344 5 months ago

I'd personally leave the mode re-qualifying alone, other than maybe removing the additional shots required to start later modes. Just one orbit seems enough to me. A nice compromise could be an easy setting where you can re-qualify the drops by hitting one or even both ramps to raise the drops rather than the orbits. To me the drops should definitely be required either way though. Instantly qualifying a new mode without even the drops being required would really mess with the flow of the game with blood collection, etc.

I think this would be a great solution:

Easy mode: ramps raise the drops to re-light the pumpkin

Normal (default): one orbit shot raises the drops to re-light the pumpkin

Hard mode: additional orbit shots needed to raise the drops to re-light the pumpkin (as it is now). Maybe one step further would be require both orbits, since (to me) the right orbit is a way harder shot.

Again, I wouldn't change it...but it looks like a lot of people would prefer it to be easier. This is where the beauty of optional settings would make everyone happy (except those that want changes made but refuse to use anything but factory settings, but I think those people are rare).

2 months later
#16557 3 months ago

Yeah replacement servos can definitely be bad. I bought the three pack of the metal gear ones suggested in this thread. All three of them shook like crazy. Bought three new cheap ones as close to the same as the stock ones as I could find and they have been perfect. Go figure.

As for setting him, just boot up the machine without putting the Michaels on yet. After it goes through the servo calibration during boot up they should be in the proper hidden position. Then screw them back in. I would go through the test just to be sure though. It's super easy.

1 month later
#16671 63 days ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I believe the upper ramp over bridge shot is one if not the best most rewarding shop in pinball.

Yeah I involuntarily yell “BOOM!” and fist pump every damn time I hit it. Lol

1 month later
#16929 5 days ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

So vanity awards are on the list of things to add to the game apparently, so what awards would there be? Matt mentioned dirty pool shot, I imagine blood collecting would make a good one too. Mode scores obvious, hopefully after mode scoring is tweaked since right now they essentially just score the same thing always unless you have blood modifiers.

Would be pretty cool to track how many double super jackpots (house super with ball locked in sanitarium / sanitarium with ball locked in house, etc). Might be a little obscure, but that's one of my favorite things to do.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 49.99
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Gilbert, AZ
$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
North Aurora, IL
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Wilkes-barre, PA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hastings, MN
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinned Out Mods

$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 63.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jediturtle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/halloween-owners-threadhes-coming-home?tu=Jediturtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.