IMG_3589 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3590 (resized).jpeg
Cbl9jGwUcAEkjQk (resized).jpg
IMG_2793 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2800 (resized).jpeg
20240405_232130 (resized).JPG
IMG_1506 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

15 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 16,963 posts in this topic. You are on page 82 of 340.
#4051 2 years ago
Quoted from Bobster123:

Yeah is the 550 mb just didn’t want to start having new problems like the Michael creep you guys are talking about or flipper issues

My Michael creep issue was happening with the old code as well. It seems to be hardware related since it doesn't seem to happen to everyone.

I wouldn't worry one bit about the flipper hum that was brought up earlier. Flippers are mechanical and will sound different sometimes depending on how they're put together. You won't even notice that hum while playing. Looks like the guy earlier was testing the flippers with the volume all the way down so of course you're going to hear the hum when there's not game sounds to drown it out. Turn the volume up and play the hell out of it!

#4052 2 years ago

I never had the Michael creep to begin with.
But with new code Michael moves a bit when the targets are hit next to him. Is this confirmed on purpose? It doesn’t bug me unless it’s not supposed too haha.

#4053 2 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

I'm curious - anyone with Michael creep. Do you know for a fact you are plugged into a grounded 3 prong outlet? In my experience lots of old houses aren't wired correctly. Can someone with Michael creep please plug in a tester and report back the findings? This issue might be easily resolved.
[quoted image]

It’s been my experience that EMI typically comes from DC sources. AC wiring will act as an antenna for the DC noise. I bought the cores that snap on so it should be easy to move then around to experiment. I was going to start with the servo wiring first as it’s the errant pulses that are causing the move. Per John_C theory. I will report any findings with pics. It seems now with the software switch hits send Michael home. If already home, a little twitch. See what I did there? The night he came home. Lol

#4054 2 years ago

I know it's going to be a long time. But what would be a good guess on how much longer for #1225 ? I was thinking maybe end of year. But I'm doubting that now. It's ok, i still want it even with the wait.

#4055 2 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

I've had Michael creep since day 1 (which was last week). My games are plugged into a confirmed grounded/correctly wired outlet. Mine seem to creep the most when the left side blood targets are hit.

Ok - so that means the creep is caused by noise coming across the cable harness. That is an old school problem that you rarely see in modern electronics these days. This can be corrected several ways. The best solution in my opinion is creating a little filter board going to the servos. It is very odd to me that I am not seeing this problem at all while others are. I wonder if there has been a revision change in a part Spooky is using or it might just be an issue with cable management.

#4056 2 years ago

Woah, I finished all of the incidental modes, hit the scoop, and… flippers went dead. The wizard mode isn’t coded yet, but I’ll certainly never have a game like that again!

7FDF735D-190F-4C80-8A79-468679BF686D (resized).jpeg7FDF735D-190F-4C80-8A79-468679BF686D (resized).jpeg
#4057 2 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Woah, I finished all of the incidental modes, hit the scoop, and… flippers went dead. The wizard mode isn’t coded yet, but I’ll certainly never have a game like that again![quoted image]

Nice... I'm sure you can do it again though, stay positive.

Jeff

#4058 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

Nice... I'm sure you can do it again though, stay positive.
Jeff

Yeah, the great thing about the latest code is incentive to finish the modes.

Two finished modes = extra ball
Finished modes = Blood towards another extra ball; 25 was too many with 1.05, but 12 is perfect with 1.06

As expected, the game is really taking Shape. The modes are fun, the new multiball is a hoot, and the added sound effects are clutch.

#4059 2 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Woah, I finished all of the incidental modes, hit the scoop, and… flippers went dead. The wizard mode isn’t coded yet, but I’ll certainly never have a game like that again![quoted image]

Whoa, well done!! I can't get past the 20 something millions yet....afraid w my skills it will be glass off time to see all the cool stuff ( still counts, right)

#4060 2 years ago
Quoted from toro1966:

I am 320 and paid for mine two weeks ago. I was told that if it was a non-butter it would have shipped, but since it was a butter it should be finished "in the next couple weeks." Since that was two weeks ago, and I am hopeful it will ship soon!

I received #308 on Feb 18th. I'm in Ohio.

#4061 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Whoa, well done!! I can't get past the 20 something millions yet....afraid w my skills it will be glass off time to see all the cool stuff ( still counts, right)

I’ve been playing with 5 balls vs 3. It’s really helped me understand the game and figure things out.

#4062 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

All the grounds should be tied together within the game (and the game would act very weirdly and probably damage itself if they weren't).

I decided to take a closer look at each of the power supplies in the cabinet. There are three of them. Two are used to power the machine (48v, 12v) and are grounded together as they should be. However the third power supply is an external 12-volt unit similar to what you'd use to power your laptop. It has only a polarized 2-wire connection and there is no separate ground. This power supply is strictly for the audio amplifier and powers all of the speakers.

Could the ungrounded power supply be creating a difference in voltage potential as compared to the rest of the machine? Hmmmmm.

#4063 2 years ago

Love it ! Good job Spooky team ! Keep the updates coming !

#4064 2 years ago

Did they lower the points of some things? Was the headstone ball save 1m before this update?

#4065 2 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I would check to see if your orbits switches are working in the test menu. Toss a ball around in both directions while in the test menu. Following a mode, the orbits will reset the drop targets. It requires one orbit for the first relight of a ball, plus one additional orbit per mode started that same ball. There haven't been any changes to the Hedge Multiball. Prior to collecting the Super Jackpot, you can restart the multiball with the drop targets and scoops.

Thank you for the reply it does seem like the orbit switches are registering. If I were to reinstall the code do you think it be worth trying?

#4066 2 years ago

My pc just crapped out .. is there a way to safely update code using Mac?

#4067 2 years ago

Ok - so that means the creep is caused by noise coming across the cable harness. That is an old school problem that you rarely see in modern electronics these days. This can be corrected several ways. The best solution in my opinion is creating a little filter board going to the servos. It is very odd to me that I am not seeing this problem at all while others are. I wonder if there has been a revision change in a part Spooky is using or it might just be an issue with cable management.

At the power plant where I work we are replacing obsolete analog electronics with new digital systems and we are discovering that EMI or noise that has always been there is impacting the new digital systems. We replaced our turbine controls system with a touch screen HMI display. When certain relays change state it causes the screen to go blank temporarily. We have had to employ numerous methods to lesson these impacts. Upgrading to Cat 6e information cables. Ferrite beads, changing grounds, installing diodes not unlike the ones we put on pinball coils to help collapse the magnet fields. Modern electronics are unfortunately not immune to this phenomena. The hard part is it’s mostly an Easter egg hunt finding the source and the best mitigation methods. Sometimes what seems like the cause is a red herring. Our company spent 3 million dollars relocating AC relays that the Engineers were sure were the cause. It made the problem worse because we made the antenna longer. Ultimately it was 8 x $0.88 diodes installed on some nearby DC relay coils that eliminated the problem.

#4068 2 years ago

GreenMachine19 terrible for the company of course but what a great story. I can imagine all of the guesswork in trying to figure this out along the way. At home and on a small scale okay but just the one idea to relocate those AC relays at a cost of $3M only to find out that it made it worse and ultimately the the diodes at pennies each was the fix, amazing. Thanks for sharing!

#4069 2 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

I did this with a friend at his place (MAC only) when 1.05 came out. I believe that you just have to ensure that the USB was previously formatted as Fat32 on a PC. There is otherwise no formatting or special configuration/prep work needed to be done to the USB. Copy the file over and ensure that the file name is exactly code_H78.pkg there cannot be any other characters in the name. Boot it up and see if it takes. Unlike a PC, MACs create dotfiles which are a type of hidden config file that should be ignored by Windows but I am not sure if this Spooky OS does.

Word of caution, if the update fails and the pin goes into the 'loop start' then you will need the last 'full version' of the file which I believe Fawzma has as a 1.05 (it was a much older 1.02 previously). We had to restore to an older full version following a 'loop start' and try again, on my buddies pin. For some reason the full version worked but he had some issues with the smaller delta update. This is explained somewhere in the many forum pages if you want to know more.

If all else fails, find a PC somewhere reformat that USB 4-32GB as Fat32 and copy the file over and try again.

#4070 2 years ago

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but when I was in mode selection last night, there was blood dripping from mode 4. Anyone else ever had this happen?

11668EE0-2E55-4D32-906B-06581D0A8A32.jpeg11668EE0-2E55-4D32-906B-06581D0A8A32.jpeg
#4071 2 years ago
Quoted from GreenMachine19:

At the power plant where I work we are replacing obsolete analog electronics with new digital systems and we are discovering that EMI or noise that has always been there is impacting the new digital systems. We replaced our turbine controls system with a touch screen HMI display. When certain relays change state it causes the screen to go blank temporarily. We have had to employ numerous methods to lesson these impacts. Upgrading to Cat 6e information cables. Ferrite beads, changing grounds, installing diodes not unlike the ones we put on pinball coils to help collapse the magnet fields. Modern electronics are unfortunately not immune to this phenomena. The hard part is it’s mostly an Easter egg hunt finding the source and the best mitigation methods. Sometimes what seems like the cause is a red herring. Our company spent 3 million dollars relocating AC relays that the Engineers were sure were the cause. It made the problem worse because we made the antenna longer. Ultimately it was 8 x $0.88 diodes installed on some nearby DC relay coils that eliminated the problem.

Amazing story and definitely a pain in the ass to track down. The good thing about the Spooky creep problem is we kinda know now from people's responses so far that the problem is coming from the game itself and not some outside source. We also believe the impacted item is just the servos to the Michael figures. Now I can't troubleshoot my game because it doesn't have an issue. That being said I think I may have worked out a solution. On eBay they sell these cheap Chinese made DC to DC converts for a couple bucks. There is a couple US sellers that have them in stock. These things are designed to lower or raise DC voltage to the item attached to it. While doing this it also has a unexpected benefit of filtering the noise on the cable. In theory you could set the input and output for the same DC voltage and just filter the line running to the Michael servos. Just a thought I had but I believe it would do the trick.

#4072 2 years ago
Quoted from McIntyre905:

Did they lower the points of some things? Was the headstone ball save 1m before this update?

Yes and there will be quite a few more balance updates coming. You no longer receive a ball save / extra ball and a bunch of points...sorry, not sorry.

Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Thank you for the reply it does seem like the orbit switches are registering. If I were to reinstall the code do you think it be worth trying?

It certainly wouldn't hurt, but I would double check that you are doing the following.

1) Start one of the Pumpkin Modes.

2) I'd pick Death in the Driver's Seat, since it requires you to shoot the orbits. Might as well test them while in the mode.

3) Complete your combos and then shoot the right scoop to end the mode.

4) From this point, as long as you do not have any other modes running, a shot around either orbit should raise the drop targets.

Quoted from adamross:

The "Restore Instructions" are on the website now. In addition to restoring your game if it becomes bricked, they are an alternative way of updating the game, which should work on a Mac or PC.

#4073 2 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but when I was in mode selection last night, there was blood dripping from mode 4. Anyone else ever had this happen?
[quoted image]

I saw that last night too. OF course I chose that mode. Didn't see anything different though.

#4074 2 years ago
Quoted from SDVmnt:

I saw that last night too. OF course I chose that mode. Didn't see anything different though.

It's from the Michael/Laurie house mode health meter that's almost hidden.

#4075 2 years ago
Quoted from KSP1138:

Ha! That's awesome. Here I thought I had a boosted mode

#4076 2 years ago

Wish I was more tech savvy, I can’t figure out the update process. Think I’ll just live with 1.05 rather than risk bricking the machine. Still an awesome game with that code.

#4077 2 years ago
Quoted from SharkDiver:

Wish I was more tech savvy, I can’t figure out the update process. Think I’ll just live with 1.05 rather than risk bricking the machine. Still an awesome game with that code.

It couldn't be easier. Copy that file to a USB stick. Nothing else on it. Formatted as Fat32. Right click and eject it in windows. Plug the usb stick into the cable just inside your coin door on the left and turn the game on.

#4078 2 years ago
Quoted from SharkDiver:

What happened to me is for some reason one PC wasn't detecting a bad file system on my flash drive which caused my original issue. The second PC did, so I did a clean format and then 1.06 installed successfully without issue. I'll also say the full image process was a breeze as well.

You'll be fine, just stick to the directions to the letter.

Jeff

#4079 2 years ago
Quoted from SharkDiver:

It's your game, but I would highly suggest upgrading. If you screw something up, you can always give us a call and we'll get you back up and running.

#4080 2 years ago

Welp guess I really have the change the springs now lol I'm about 1400 games in

PXL_20220308_165505058 (resized).jpgPXL_20220308_165505058 (resized).jpg
#4081 2 years ago

Well, after ~100 games in, I've blown my first fuse. I know there was some back and forth on the 3A vs 5A, was it ok to step them up to 5?

#4082 2 years ago
Quoted from Capn12:

Well, after ~100 games in, I've blown my first fuse. I know there was some back and forth on the 3A vs 5A, was it ok to step them up to 5?

This was the last information I had heard. I would let Spooky confirm but you could probably find it in this thread.

#4083 2 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

[quoted image]

Seems to be if you have blood to spend in the store. Not for sure though. I've seen it as well.

#4084 2 years ago
Quoted from KSP1138:

This is the attention to detail that I love. Hopefully they keep doing things like this.

#4085 2 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

I did this with a friend at his place (MAC only) when 1.05 came out. I believe that you just have to ensure that the USB was previously formatted as Fat32 on a PC. There is otherwise no formatting or special configuration/prep work needed to be done to the USB. Copy the file over and ensure that the file name is exactly code_H78.pkg there cannot be any other characters in the name. Boot it up and see if it takes. Unlike a PC, MACs create dotfiles which are a type of hidden config file that should be ignored by Windows but I am not sure if this Spooky OS does.
Word of caution, if the update fails and the pin goes into the 'loop start' then you will need the last 'full version' of the file which I believe Fawzma has as a 1.05 (it was a much older 1.02 previously). We had to restore to an older full version following a 'loop start' and try again, on my buddies pin. For some reason the full version worked but he had some issues with the smaller delta update. This is explained somewhere in the many forum pages if you want to know more.
If all else fails, find a PC somewhere reformat that USB 4-32GB as Fat32 and copy the file over and try again.

Appreciate this, will give it a shot!

#4086 2 years ago
Quoted from John_C:

From my reading on ferrite cores, you want them to be placed as close as possible to the source of 'noise'. Since we don't know the exact source of that noise, we have to take a WAG.
My suggestion is a small core near each blood target on the left side of the playfield and a larger one near where those targets connect to the main board (the far-left, upper most plug that I identified earlier).
I was going to order some but since you have some and GreenMachine19 has some coming, I'll hold off pending your testing and results.

Not a HW owner, but a recently retired high power RF electrical engineer with a lot of ferrite core (actually more iron cores than ferrite) experience.

Yes - close to the noise source. If in doubt, use two cores, one placed on each end of the wire - then you're covered regardless of the noise source.

I don't want to get too technical, but the cores can get saturated if there's too much current running thru the wire, lowering their effectiveness. This can be eliminated if both the source wire and the return wire go thru the same core. i.e. A solenoid fires and draws 10A, if the 10A comes in on a wire, and 10A leaves on the other wire (opposite direction), but they both go thru the same core...the net current the ferrite core sees is 0A, so it doesn't saturate. So if you think it might be from a solenoid firing, make sure you grab all the wires associated with that solenoid if possible.

If it's just from a switch transient - not really any current, so you'll likely be OK.

Sorry for the ferrite core sidebar - just wanted to add a FIY

#4087 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

My amateur pinbuilder's two cents: Any low voltage data line should be kept away from a bundle of high voltage solenoid lines. If they need to cross over it is best to do so at 90 degrees. It looks like the servo lines are bundled up right next to the solenoid bundle. Separate them out and I bet there is less interference

You're correct Trey regarding the 90 degrees. If that's not possible, then distance between wires is your friend. Also the length of where the wires are parallel makes a difference. That depends on the frequency of the interfering signal. Higher the frequency, less distance is needed when compared to a lower frequency for the same amount of coupling. So the the less length, the better.

Ok - so that means the creep is caused by noise coming across the cable harness. That is an old school problem that you rarely see in modern electronics these days.

Anytime you have fast trainsets (i.e. digital rise/fall times or switches with a fair amount of voltage on it) combined with wires (or PC board traces) running parallel is close proximity...coupling is a real issue. I've had to layout many RF boards where I had hundreds of volts or a ton of current with some little digital gizmo setting not far away. Doable, but you have to be careful. If it doesn't outright show up as a problem, it can also end being a EMI issue.

#4088 2 years ago

Yea PC instructions seem to be more simple than the Mac ones which is what Ive got, but even the PC ones I have no idea what FAT32 is or how to go about attaining it. And from what Im reading still appears I need a pc of some sort to make a usb fat32 whatever that is lol. Thankfully the games a blast regardless.

Quoted from jeffro01:

What happened to me is for some reason one PC wasn't detecting a bad file system on my flash drive which caused my original issue. The second PC did, so I did a clean format and then 1.06 installed successfully without issue. I'll also say the full image process was a breeze as well.
You'll be fine, just stick to the directions to the letter.
Jeff

#4089 2 years ago

Highlight the stick and format it to FAT32

#4090 2 years ago

Alright so it broke. I'm assuming playing like this is not a good idea and I should wait til I get a replacement? Hopefully from spooky just waiting for a reply back

PXL_20220308_213856094 (resized).jpgPXL_20220308_213856094 (resized).jpg
#4091 2 years ago
Quoted from McIntyre905:

Alright so it broke. I'm assuming playing like this is not a good idea and I should wait til I get a replacement? Hopefully from spooky just waiting for a reply back
[quoted image]

It doesn't matter playing it but unless there's a software adjustment it won't think the drops have all been knocked down

#4092 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It doesn't matter playing it but unless there's a software adjustment it won't think the drops have all been knocked down

So I did tap it when it was up and it did still register. Just didn't know if this would fuck up the ball or whatever. Also are these all common sizes? if I found some spares online they would work?

#4093 2 years ago

Well it isn't getting hit by a ball so I can't imagine any damage happening to anything.

No idea personally on the size of the drops

#4094 2 years ago

https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-300-0021-00-71

I'm betting shipping will kill you. I always end up with a bunch of stuff in my cart there trying to justify the shipping on a cheap part.

My bet is spooky will take care of you.

#4095 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well it isn't getting hit by a ball so I can't imagine any damage happening to anything.
No idea personally on the size of the drops

It's actually sticking up a bit above the PF so the ball can hit it

Quoted from SDVmnt:

https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-300-0021-00-71
I'm betting shipping will kill you. I always end up with a bunch of stuff in my cart there trying to justify the shipping on a cheap part.

Haha bless I'll see if one of my Canadian stores have it

#4096 2 years ago

Appreciate the help but I don't know what that means, sorry. I'm not smart and very computer illiterate and I'd still need a PC to do that which I don't have unfortunately.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Highlight the stick and format it to FAT32

#4097 2 years ago
Quoted from SDVmnt:

https://pinballmedics.ca/product/williams-bally-frosted-rollover-drop-target/ these are the same right?

#4098 2 years ago
Quoted from SharkDiver:

I have no idea what FAT32

FAT32 is a filesystem that Windows uses. FAT stands for File Allocation Table. It's old. Real old. Dates back to Windows 95. Picked up with 98 and later. It's just the nomenclature for that specific method of allocating how files are written to a drive. There's also NTFS (NT File System), and APFS (Apple File System).

When you format a drive in Windows, you'll probably get options for FAT32 and NTFS at a minimum. Maybe FAT16, but I haven't formatted a drive in about a year and a half so a bit hazy on that.

Quoted from McIntyre905:

So I did tap it when it was up and it did still register. Just didn't know if this would fuck up the ball or whatever. Also are these all common sizes? if I found some spares online they would work?

Mohs hardness scale. Plastic cannot scratch a steel ball. So no, it won't mess up the ball. What is far more likely is that if it's sticking above the playfield it will cause an airball to smash into something it normally wouldn't, or wear at the edge of the slot for the drops as the ball no longer has a flat surface to cleanly roll over. So in that regard, yes, I would recommend to not play it with the target broken like that, as it is very possible it would cause damage.....just not in the way you asked about.

#4100 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Mohs hardness scale...

well...close enough

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinned Out Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Charlotte, NC
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Wilkes-barre, PA
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Woodinville, WA
$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 63.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Monson, MA
There are 16,963 posts in this topic. You are on page 82 of 340.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/halloween-owners-threadhes-coming-home/page/82 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.