IMG_4867 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4865 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0488 (resized).jpg
IMG_0487 (resized).jpg
IMG_0482 (resized).jpg
IMG_0486 (resized).jpg
IMG_0484 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

15 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 16,870 posts in this topic. You are on page 80 of 338.
#3951 2 years ago

Be kind to each other. We're all just here to enjoy some pinball and when an update error gets in the way of that it's frustrating. My best suggestion is to try a new clean USB stick and make sure you are following the formatting, naming, and ejecting instructions.

#3952 2 years ago

Does anyone notice the right flipper clicking twice on its own after you select a mode and hit the start button?

#3953 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

Wait, what? Quite the jump you're making there but hey if insulting someone you don't know makes you feel better, knock yourself out.
My game will get updated when Spooky has the full 1.06 image ready and life will go on. JFC people...
Jeff

Dude you’ve been a Debbie downer from the beginning. You’ve no credibility fella. Again…just observing and commenting. I’ve got skin in this as well. #955 can’t come soon enough. I took a later build so all this will hopefully hashed out. You should know what you’re signing up for with an early build. It’s not just Spooky who has growing pains like this. Almost every manufacturer has delt with this sort of thing.

#3954 2 years ago

Code updated to v1.06, noticed some nice new features!

Unfortunately, it didn't make me a better pinball player, so I still don't get to see a lot of them!

#3955 2 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Be kind to each other. We're all just here to enjoy some pinball and when an update error gets in the way of that it's frustrating. My best suggestion is to try a new clean USB stick and make sure you are following the formatting, naming, and ejecting instructions.

Same stick was used to reimage back to 1.05 as was to update to 1.06. Don't have a drawer of USB sticks lying around that meet the size requirements provided by Spooky (mine are much larger, so I bought one specifically for updating pinball which I use on all of my games and seems to work fine minus this specific update). Naturally following formatting, naming, and ejecting. Game boots fine, starts to update then in 1-2 seconds gives me an update successful which of course is suspect given how quick it goes. Turn off game, remove stick, boot game and it goes into its loop.

While this isn't ideal, I can wait for the full 1.06 image. It's certainly not the end of the world or worthy of the personal insults directed towards my way as a result.

Jeff

#3956 2 years ago

Not trying to insult or be “mean” I just don’t like seeing the Spooky team get beat up for someone else’s error that’s all.

#3957 2 years ago
Quoted from Flash71:

Dude you’ve been a Debbie downer from the beginning. You’ve no credibility fella. Again…just observing and commenting. I’ve got skin in this as well. #955 can’t come soon enough. I took a later build so all this will hopefully hashed out. You should know what you’re signing up for with an early build. It’s not just Spooky who has growing pains like this. Almost every manufacturer has delt with this sort of thing.

What the hell are you talking about? Did you not read my review, have you not read my other posts? I think you have me confused with someone else... Also, stop with the condescension and insults, I did nothing to deserve this crap.

Again, JFC...

Jeff

#3958 2 years ago
Quoted from JesseJames23:

Does anyone notice the right flipper clicking twice on its own after you select a mode and hit the start button?

Yes I think that’s intentional. Phantom flip on the list?

#3959 2 years ago

My sentiments exactly.

Quoted from Flash71:

Not trying to insult or be “mean” I just don’t like seeing the Spooky team get beat up for someone else’s error that’s all.

#3960 2 years ago

Oh…we’ve read your other posts. Lmao, not a great defense with a ratio that low.

Quoted from jeffro01:

What the hell are you talking about? Did you not read my review, have you not read my other posts? I think you have me confused with someone else... Also, stop with the condescension and insults, I did nothing to deserve this crap.
Again, JFC...
Jeff

922A2A52-2F77-4A37-9805-FBFCE83494D3 (resized).jpeg922A2A52-2F77-4A37-9805-FBFCE83494D3 (resized).jpeg
#3961 2 years ago

Quoted from GreenMachine19:

Yes I think that’s intentional. Phantom flip on the list?

Yes, I noticed this on mine as well. I just assumed it's a new "confirmation" of your selection.

#3962 2 years ago

It's been said before, but is worth repeating. Make sure you are following the "eject" procedure when yanking your USB stick out of your computer. My best guess (and this is just a guess) is the bulk of people bricking their machines are not ejecting. Because no one ever bothers hitting eject. Also, make absolutely sure you don't have another older code version sitting in the folder you are downloading to (or on your USB stick), because windows will take it upon itself to rename the file if you do. Renamed file = brick. I'd bet tree fiddy that 90% of bricked machines are from one of those two issues. The other 10% is just bad luck. Spooky will sort it out for you!

And to address Jack O Lantern multiball...I'm pretty sure you do not need to finish 3 modes...just play 3 modes. And it's awesome.

Great job Spooky...it's shaping up quite nicely! I'm sure you guys will work through the remaining issues people are having.

#3963 2 years ago
Quoted from Flash71:

Why is it you automatically assume it's my fault? I didn't realize I'm the only one having issues updating their game going back a few code versions. You think I'm beating up the Spooky team for asking for help? Really? So I guess you've decided people can't ask for help because naturally it's their fault to begin with?

I don't know who pissed in your Wheaties but it wasn't me so I'd prefer if you left me the hell alone.

Jeff

#3964 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

Why is it you automatically assume it's my fault? I didn't realize I'm the only one having issues updating their game going back a few code versions. You think I'm beating up the Spooky team for asking for help? Really? So I guess you've decided people can't ask for help because naturally it's their fault to begin with?
I don't know who pissed in your Wheaties but it wasn't me so I'd prefer if you left me the hell alone.
Jeff

Dude….chill

#3965 2 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

It's been said before, but is worth repeating. Make sure you are following the "eject" procedure when yanking your USB stick out of your computer. My best guess (and this is just a guess) is the bulk of people bricking their machines are not ejecting. Because no one ever bothers hitting eject. Also, make absolutely sure you don't have another older code version sitting in the folder you are downloading to (or on your USB stick), because windows will take it upon itself to rename the file if you do. Renamed file = brick. I'd bet tree fiddy that 90% of bricked machines are from one of those two issues. The other 10% is just bad luck. Spooky will sort it out for you!
And to address Jack O Lantern multiball...I'm pretty sure you do not need to finish 3 modes...just play 3 modes. And it's awesome.
Great job Spooky...it's shaping up quite nicely! I'm sure you guys will work through the remaining issues people are having.

I know how to eject a USB... If that was directed at me.

Jeff

#3966 2 years ago

Deleted.

Jeff

#3967 2 years ago
Quoted from John_C:

Yes, I noticed this on mine as well. I just assumed it's a new "confirmation" of your selection.

It's another "HEY LOOK OVER HERE THIS IS WHERE THE BALL IS GOING TO COME OUT OF!!" attention getter. Because people still complain about losing the ball when it comes out.

#3968 2 years ago

Easy guys! At the end of the day we are all here to enjoy the game and make everything as good as it can be!

#3969 2 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Make sure you are following the "eject" procedure when yanking your USB stick

That sounds like Mac talk!

#3970 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

I know how to eject a USB... If that was directed at me.
Jeff

Actually I was pegging you for the 10% bad luck category since it sounds like you've tried following everything as well as possible. You are understandably frustrated, but please do not assume everyone is against you. I am sure Spooky will get you sorted out and I hope you are super happy with this update once you can play it!

Quoted from TheLaw:

That sounds like Mac talk!

LOL...see...this is how (some) people brick their machine. Assuming the rules do not apply to them!

#3971 2 years ago

Give us a call on Monday and we'll get it sorted out. Sorry it's giving you issues. I bricked my personal game once, prior to working at Spooky. Switched sticks and haven't had an issue since. You are correct to be frustrated, we didn't like it either, which is why we built in the check to help prevent it on future updates.

#3972 2 years ago

I can say this, when I downloaded the 1.06 it automatically added the (1) to the file name due to it already being in my downloads. Dragged it to the desk top. Renamed it to code_H78.pkg, then dragged it to my quick formatted thumb drive. Verified it didn’t change. Ejected per the rules. And no problems here.

#3973 2 years ago

jeffro01 A few codes back I could not get the update code to take despite reimaging multiple times and trying over and over. This was all out of the blue with the same process/hardware. On the 3rd attempt I reimaged, but this time I ran the update, left the USB installed and rebooted and ran the update again, then shutdown and removed the USB. It worked. It was something I found in the R&M update Readme file. Try it and see if it works for you

#3974 2 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Give us a call on Monday and we'll get it sorted out. Sorry it's giving you issues. I bricked my personal game once, prior to working at Spooky. Switched sticks and haven't had an issue since. You are correct to be frustrated, we didn't like it either, which is why we built in the check on the future code.

It's fine, I promise. Yeah I'm frustrated on the update but my game isn't bricked as I went back to 1.05 successfully. I'm getting attacked left and right for no reason so don't want Spooky to think this is an end of the world thing. I'll wait until the 1.06 full image is ready tomorrow and try that.

Again, despite the absolute beating I'm taking, the sun will come up tomorrow and I'm sure my game will get to 1.06 successfully.

Jeff

#3975 2 years ago

People are now updating their machines successfully, so obviously the update file and the process is correct. Unfortunately - working in IT for 25 years there's no accounting for a lot of variables, which means it can still fail even if someone is correctly following the process, so it's not necessarily anyone's fault.

For sure yanking out the USB without ejecting can still cause issues even in this day and age - but I've also had issues with updating Sterns, where I thought I had downloaded the file (it seemed to be the correct size etc), only for the update to freeze or fail. Turns out the file download wasn't actually "complete" and I only found out by verifying the file itself. That's only 2 scenarios - there will be a lot more out there.

Lots of problems can happen with file transfers/downloads - it's annoying, but it's life I'm afraid. As long as it's fixable - that's the important thing.

#3976 2 years ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

People are now updating their machines successfully, so obviously the update file and the process is correct. Unfortunately - working in IT for 25 years there's no accounting for a lot of variables, which means it can still fail even if someone is correctly following the process, so it's not necessarily anyone's fault.
For sure yanking out the USB without ejecting can still cause issues even in this day and age - but I've also had issues with updating Sterns, where I thought I had downloaded the file (it seemed to be the correct size etc), only for the update to freeze or fail. Turns out the file download wasn't actually "complete" and I only found out by verifying the file itself. That's only 2 scenarios - there will be a lot more out there.
Lots of problems can happen with file transfers/downloads - it's annoying, but it's life I'm afraid. As long as it's fixable - that's the important thing.

Totally understand. These things happen. Could it be my USB stick? Absolutely but it's the only one I have that meets the size requirements and it works for the full image process so it's no biggy to wait for the full 1.06 image.

Jeff

#3977 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

jeffro01 A few codes back I could not get the update code to take despite reimaging multiple times and trying over and over. This was all out of the blue with the same process/hardware. On the 3rd attempt I reimaged, but this time I ran the update, left the USB installed and rebooted and ran the update again, then shutdown and removed the USB. It worked. It was something I found in the R&M update Readme file. Try it and see if it works for you

Thank you! I'll probably give that a try. Again, appreciate it.

Jeff

#3978 2 years ago

People were coming after you because you were throwing a hissy fit, criticizing Spooky, being a defeatist and being rude to other Pinsiders attempting to shed some light on the issue, not simply because you were having a technical issue. Hope that clears things up for you.

Quoted from jeffro01:

Totally understand. These things happen. Could it be my USB stick? Absolutely but it's the only one I have that meets the size requirements and it works for the full image process so it's no biggy to wait for the full 1.06 image.
Jeff

#3979 2 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

It's another "HEY LOOK OVER HERE THIS IS WHERE THE BALL IS GOING TO COME OUT OF!!" attention getter. Because people still complain about losing the ball when it comes out.

I actually like the surprise of the ball rolling out suddenly. Gets my wife every time!!

#3980 2 years ago

I guess you have to understand the frustration - if I had my machine (yeah, I wish) I'm sure I'd be pretty damn excited for this update. If it then bricked my machine after I had followed the procedure you're gonna go from absolute excitement to abject disappointment, which is enough to p*ss on anyone's chips.

Anyway - it'll all get fixed soon. The Spooky guys aren't going to leave anyone hanging.

Hope to see some more great feedback on the code soon. Anyone going to do a stream for us poor people further down the order list? I'm having to play vicariously at the moment it's the only thing keeping me sane.

#3981 2 years ago

Deleted

Jeff

#3982 2 years ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

I guess you have to understand the frustration - if I had my machine (yeah, I wish) I'm sure I'd be pretty damn excited for this update. If it then bricked my machine after I had followed the procedure you're gonna go from absolute excitement to abject disappointment, which is enough to p*ss on anyone's chips.
Anyway - it'll all get fixed soon. The Spooky guys aren't going to leave anyone hanging.
Hope to see some more great feedback on the code soon. Anyone going to do a stream for us poor people further down the order list? I'm having to play vicariously at the moment it's the only thing keeping me sane.

Totally get it and Spooky is taking care of me, like they take care of everyone. Their customer service is absolutely top notch.

Jeff

#3983 2 years ago
Quoted from Capn12:

Code updated to v1.06, noticed some nice new features!
Unfortunately, it didn't make me a better pinball player, so I still don't get to see a lot of them!

Haha this is me right now. Bummed the update wipes the scores cause I've been trying to beat my GC score for a few weeks now lmfao but oh well just gonna keep practicing. Right now I'm trying to figure out nudging lol super excited to see all the new bells and whistles

#3984 2 years ago

Why was there no wifi updating on this game? The other two manufacturers do, I have their games.. it works fantastic. From the amount of people that this happened to today, it wasn't just one user messing something up. We paid $9,000+ for a game, surely it wasn't a price issue for the wifi, nobody would have cared even the game was $25-50 more.. or whatever wifi cost. I dont use a computer for anything really, just my phone. I had to get out laptop, spend hours downloading, I have very very slow internet. Still downloading the 4 hour 1.05 original back now. So can we just get wifi added?

#3985 2 years ago

Another thing to try would be plugging directly into the board instead of the extension cable. Just one more variable to eliminate from the chain. Stranger Things (hey wrong game!) have happened!

#3986 2 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Another thing to try would be plugging directly into the board instead of the extension cable. Just one more variable to eliminate from the chain. Stranger Things (hey wrong game!) have happened!

Yeah I did that after the first failure. Honestly the issue has to be either my USB stick (most likely) or something is going wrong with the download but my money is on the USB stick. Unfortunately for me it's snowing out and that's the only one I have in the size requirements so I'll have to wait. It happens.

Jeff

#3987 2 years ago
Quoted from Mitoska:

Why was there no wifi updating on this game? The other two manufacturers do, I have their games.. it works fantastic. From the amount of people that this happened to today, it wasn't just one user messing something up. We paid $9,000+ for a game, surely it wasn't a price issue for the wifi, nobody would have cared even the game was $25-50 more.. or whatever wifi cost. I dont use a computer for anything really, just my phone. I had to get out laptop, spend hours downloading, I have very very slow internet. Still downloading the 4 hour 1.05 original back now. So can we just get wifi added?

If you have slow internet wouldn't it take just as long via wifi? Spooky is a smaller company so it may take them awhile to catch up to the bigger manufacturers. I have also had it take longer via wifi on games that do have it vs. a usb stick sometimes so there's that

#3988 2 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

+1 on that.....the coin door cable is laced to other wiring and possibly something playing a role in the fail (or just a bad cable)....

#3989 2 years ago

Is this game brutal or is it just my setup? I'm generally a decent player but I really stink at this one.

#3990 2 years ago
Quoted from Mitoska:

I will ask the smarter than me people about it

#3991 2 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

If you have slow internet wouldn't it take just as long via wifi? Spooky is a smaller company so it may take them awhile to catch up to the bigger manufacturers. I have also had it take longer via wifi on games that do have it vs. a usb stick sometimes so there's that

Yes, it would still be slow. But I turn on my gnr or other new games , they tell me there is an update, push accept and it does it's thing. I don't have to get out a laptop , find a USB stick, download a file, then put it on the USB, then put it in the game, etc.

#3992 2 years ago
Quoted from Looprunner:

Is this game brutal or is it just my setup? I'm generally a decent player but I really stink at this one.

It's definitely a skill game which at least for me, makes it fun because of the way the game challenges you. Every shot has a purpose and some are especially hard to hit. This is easily my most favorite game and I'm by no means a high skill player. I had a 3 ball game under 100K the other day so... Yeah...

Jeff

#3993 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

It's definitely a skill game which at least for me, makes it fun because of the way the game challenges you. Every shot has a purpose and some are especially hard to hit. This is easily my most favorite game and I'm by no means a high skill player. I had a 3 ball game under 100K the other day so... Yeah...
Jeff

Yeah I played a half hour game of Godzilla the other day and I don't think I've had a 5 minute game on Halloween....yet. lol. It's kicking my family's butt. But my wife said she absolutely loves it.

#3994 2 years ago
Quoted from Looprunner:

Yeah I played a half hour game of Godzilla the other day and I don't think I've had a 5 minute game on Halloween....yet. lol. It's kicking my family's butt. But my wife said she absolutely loves it.

LOL I hear you there. Best I've done to date was 47 million and change but that was because I got through stalker mode by sheer luck and the bounce of the ball... LOL

If I could just reliably hit that right orbit shot... Practice, practice, practice...

Jeff

#3995 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

LOL I hear you there. Best I've done to date was 47 million and change but that was because I got through stalker mode by sheer luck and the bounce of the ball... LOL
If I could just reliably hit that right orbit shot... Practice, practice, practice...
Jeff

Right orbit for me is just...well, might as well almost not even be there. I can not consistently hit it. But, same goes for the pumpkin scoop. I find myself getting to it from the PF above more often than not. It is so close, I feel like my shots are blasting off of it, and ricocheting elsewhere.

#3996 2 years ago

Do you have to successfully complete 3 modes to get to the don’t fear the reaper? If so… I’ll never get it haha.

#3997 2 years ago

No, you just have to play three modes

Do you have to successfully complete 3 modes to get to the don’t fear the reaper? If so… I’ll never get it haha.

#3998 2 years ago

We are now on 1.06. Thank you to Spooky for your help and to those who provided me suggestions. Ended up using a completely different PC/download and that seemed to correct it using the USB port directly on the game.

Jeff

#3999 2 years ago
D234A826-7AC7-4344-A608-2BFF0BCD0D04 (resized).jpegD234A826-7AC7-4344-A608-2BFF0BCD0D04 (resized).jpeg
#4000 2 years ago

You’re welcome

Quoted from jeffro01:

We are now on 1.06. Thank you to Spooky for your help and to those who provided me suggestions. Ended up using a completely different PC/download and that seemed to correct it using the USB port directly on the game.
Jeff

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations
Other
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
There are 16,870 posts in this topic. You are on page 80 of 338.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/halloween-owners-threadhes-coming-home/page/80?hl=txcoastal1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.