IMG_4867 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4865 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0488 (resized).jpg
IMG_0487 (resized).jpg
IMG_0482 (resized).jpg
IMG_0486 (resized).jpg
IMG_0484 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

15 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 16,870 posts in this topic. You are on page 66 of 338.
#3251 2 years ago
Quoted from curban:

call outs (although repetitive) are some of the best in pinball

Oof...couldn't disagree with this more. The music is kick ass, but fake Lumis is borderline cringe-worthy.

#3252 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Oof...couldn't disagree with this more. The music is kick ass, but fake Lumis is borderline cringe-worthy.

Odd... I find the voice actor to be essentially spot on for Donald Pleasence. Certainly not anywhere remotely approaching the term "cringe-worthy"... Guess this is one of those subjective things...

Jeff

#3253 2 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

I keep having second thoughts about getting into bed with Halloween. Bob aka spooky please reconfirm I’m making the right decision.
[quoted image]

Spooky is dominating the customer service arena.

Games are getting better and better every run. You can improve the software but not a poor pf design. And this pf looks awesome. I’m #908 and excited.

Great service. Check.

No pf’s chipping. Check.

Improvements and immersive experience? Check.

Those bailing out may certainly regret later.

#3254 2 years ago
Quoted from curban:

…or intentionally trying to sabotage ratings for whatever reason.
I really don’t understand the hate for the code. The HWN code, although ‘seemingly buggy at times’ is already much more interesting and engaging to me than code on most JJP games. I’m certain that both my wife and I have already played more games on HWN in -1month of ownership than we have on our WOZ after 1-1/2years. (But WOZ sure is purdy!).
Art is fantastic and sound and call outs (although repetitive) are some of the best in pinball.

I don’t get it either. I’ve played Halloween. It’s fun, and it immerses you into the movie. I played JJP Guns & Roses the same day. I thought it was really bad? Pretty machine but I could care less if I ever played it again. I’m a Guns & Roses fan also.

#3255 2 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Spooky is dominating the customer service arena.

They are doing an awesome job...although a lot of it seems like it's just fixing bad mistakes doesn't it?

#3256 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Wow…this s#it is unbelievable. A terrible review from someone who doesn’t even know that Halloween is a film. If any of you like this game I suggest you go give it an honest review. Otherwise HWN is about to go down the pinside trash shoot due to a couple of nimrods.
[quoted image][quoted image]

It reminds me of early reviews of stranger things and the walking dead…. I still have mine and now they are in high demand. I foresee the same with Halloween.

#3257 2 years ago
Quoted from JesseJames23:

I don’t get it either. I’ve played Halloween. It’s fun, and it immerses you into the movie. I played JJP Guns & Roses the same day. I thought it was really bad? Pretty machine but I could care less if I ever played it again. I’m a Guns & Roses fan also.

Sad reality about GNR is if they coded the modes worth playing then it would be way better. Maybe it's just an Eric Meunier thing, I haven't played any Lawlor JJP titles yet.

#3258 2 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

No pf’s chipping. Check.

There was literally a picture posted on here a few days ago of this happening. Not in the sense like "ermagerd half my playfield is gone anywhere there's a post" like some JJPs and Sterns, but....a piece of art chipped off at a ball impact point. Post # 3018 and #3021 on this thread. Small, and an isolated example, but it is what it is.

Did anyone ever answer what the caster wheels on the playfield are for? Saw that pic and just kinda scratching my head as well.

#3259 2 years ago

EXACTLY! I went to a pinball show to try and buy a GNR as a fan of the band. Beautiful pin to say the least but gameplay was bad and repetitive. That game would bore the heck outta me in a home environment.

Halloween was kick ass at the show and very very early code. People were standing in line 30+min and feedback was positive to say the least.

Now I also love the Hobbit for totally different reasons. Mine is bolted to the floor while so many crap on it as well. Nothing beats a Hobbit Adventure, just not everyday because 1.5 hr games are awesome in moderation.

I’ve never purchased a Spooky game but the feedback has been brutal to say the least. Makes absolutely no sense to me!

#3260 2 years ago

True. My first impression of ST was no good at all. I have it now with all the bells and whistles and love it. Brutal but just has that “one more game” feeling down

Quoted from Tuxedomask23:

It reminds me of early reviews of stranger things and the walking dead…. I still have mine and now they are in high demand. I foresee the same with Halloween.

#3261 2 years ago

So I have a question. Was the release of Rick and Morty’s the same? Did everyone bitch and complain at first?

#3262 2 years ago
Quoted from SLRage:

So I have a question. Was the release of Rick and Morty’s the same? Did everyone bitch and complain at first?

The complaints on R&M were having to tweak the flippers and some of the shots, code was not this slow evolving but they are dealing with two games at once this go around.

#3263 2 years ago
Quoted from SLRage:

Not sure, but probably lol. That’s what most do in this hobby unfortunately. Every game in my collection someone has complained how horrible it is. Like my Ghostbusters. I love it. People hate it. But now I see it’s 15k for a premium haha.

#3264 2 years ago

Not sure, but probably lol. That’s what most do in this hobby unfortunately. Every game in my collection someone has complained how horrible it is. Like my Ghostbusters. I love it. People hate it. But now I see it’s 15k for a premium haha.

It's the pinside way... The process is as follows.

1. Game gets announced
2. People hate it before even playing it
3. Early games ship and people complain about the code
4. Code matures, complaints stop as people move on to chase another squirrel
5. Game skyrockets in value

The pinside experience...

Jeff

#3265 2 years ago

I have them sitting right next to each other. Haven't even turned on gnr in the last month. I love the band..the game though..meh. I have the de gnr also..love that one. I have a new game stern, spooky, JJP, I'm getting ready to do a full review and comparison of all 3

IMG_20220113_182821 (resized).jpgIMG_20220113_182821 (resized).jpg
#3266 2 years ago
Quoted from Mitoska:

I have them sitting right next to each other. Haven't even turned on gnr in the last month. I love the band..the game though..meh. I have the de gnr also..love that one. I have a new game stern, spooky, JJP, I'm getting ready to do a full review and comparison of all 3[quoted image]

Hopefully I didn’t offend you being you have one. At the end of the day. It’s Pinball! It’s fun! Are the flippers weak by nature on JJP? It just felt like they didn’t have the power I was use to on my Sterns.

#3267 2 years ago

Are the flippers weak by nature on JJP?

Yes
Well, weaker than Sterns for sure.

#3268 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

There was literally a picture posted on here a few days ago of this happening. Not in the sense like "ermagerd half my playfield is gone anywhere there's a post" like some JJPs and Sterns, but....a piece of art chipped off at a ball impact point. Post # 3018 and #3021 on this thread. Small, and an isolated example, but it is what it is.
Did anyone ever answer what the caster wheels on the playfield are for? Saw that pic and just kinda scratching my head as well.

Aww nuts.

1463A6C5-AABB-4387-8869-59376B7E02A9.gif1463A6C5-AABB-4387-8869-59376B7E02A9.gif
#3269 2 years ago

Guy posted a pic of the chip and Spooky sent him a BRAND NEW upper playfield. This doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

Quoted from underlord:

Aww nuts.
[quoted image]

#3270 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Guy posted a pic of the chip and Spooky sent him a BRAND NEW upper playfield. This doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

Exactly, and that's what really matters. I just don't like statements made in absolute terms like "Spooky pins don't chip." Well....they do....just very rarely, and unlike Stern or JJP, you're a HELL of a lot likely to get a replacement *if* it happens. You damn sure aren't going to see Bug or Charlie on here saying it's the customer's fault.

#3271 2 years ago

Hopefully I didn’t offend you being you have one. At the end of the day. It’s Pinball! It’s fun! Are the flippers weak by nature on JJP? It just felt like they didn’t have the power I was use to on my Sterns.

JJP definitely does not have the snappiness of sterns at all.. GNR does seem better then Wonka though..
Nah no offense taken..everyone likes different games.. hell..I have 7 gotlieb system 3's in my collection and I love those.. even shaq attack!

IMG_20220207_191342 (resized).jpgIMG_20220207_191342 (resized).jpgIMG_20220207_191804 (resized).jpgIMG_20220207_191804 (resized).jpg
#3272 2 years ago

nm.

#3273 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Exactly, and that's what really matters. I just don't like statements made in absolute terms like "Spooky pins don't chip." Well....they do....just very rarely, and unlike Stern or JJP, you're a HELL of a lot likely to get a replacement *if* it happens. You damn sure aren't going to see Bug or Charlie on here saying it's the customer's fault.

That was mine, and Spooky offered a replacement upper playfield based only on my post here which is great. I've had it for about 3 months and put a lot of games on it, and the small chip is in a very high traffic area at the opening from the center ramp, so I wanted to see if anyone else had seen any issues like that yet. So far, I think I might be the only one that's seen it (probably because I was terrible at playing the house and had to keep hitting the center ramp to get back up there - better now). For others I'd probably put some mylar at the opening to the upper playfield just in case.

#3274 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

The caster wheels are to protect the flasher bases on the backboard oddly enough lol! So we found that if you put the playfield in to far or at a crazy angle you could smash the flasher bases against the back of the cabinet. So the wheel protects them and also rolls along the back nicely in the case that the playfield does get pushed back that far!

Also yes unfortunately there was a chip although I think that overall the playfields are still the absolute industry standard. I think we created a really unique stress possibility with the ramp feeding that way. To be fair also I immediately offered to make it right for the customer in multiple ways at absolutely no cost to him!

P.s I know your comment was not made in any type of negative light!

#3275 2 years ago

At spooky HQ, I'm advocating that all our playfields undergo a hardness test at time of manufacture. I mean, other companies literally *hammer* test their playfields. That sounds pretty hardcore to me, but I say we turn it up to eleven, and proof our playfields against a Barret .50 cal. I mean, every single playfield would fail, but how badass would that be; knowing that your playfield was "Spooky, .50 cal tested (TM)"?

#3276 2 years ago
Quoted from Mitoska:

JJP definitely does not have the snappiness of sterns at all.. GNR does seem better then Wonka though..
Nah no offense taken..everyone likes different games.. hell..I have 7 gotlieb system 3's in my collection and I love those.. even shaq attack! [quoted image][quoted image]

Halloween and GNR on deck and the kid is playing SF2. Despite all the reviews, I knew that game was fun!

#3277 2 years ago

Let’s start with a 9mm and work our way up.

Quoted from spooky_dj:

At spooky HQ, I'm advocating that all our playfields undergo a hardness test at time of manufacture. I mean, other companies literally *hammer* test their playfields. That sounds pretty hardcore to me, but I say we turn it up to eleven, and proof our playfields against a Barret .50 cal. I mean, every single playfield would fail, but how badass would that be; knowing that your playfield was "Spooky, .50 cal tested (TM)"?

#3278 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

Odd... I find the voice actor to be essentially spot on for Donald Pleasence. Certainly not anywhere remotely approaching the term "cringe-worthy"... Guess this is one of those subjective things...
Jeff

I guess. I'm a fan of the movies and have always loved his character. The voice feels way off, which is what grates on me. Kinda like most Americans trying to do a British accent or anybody's poor Arnold impression.

My wife doesn't know squat about the movies, and had no idea it was even an impression. Without me ever saying anything, she went on and on about how annoying he is. Now, if we play the game, she invariably repeats "follow the trail of blood" (which he seems to say ALL the time) over and over in a bad impression of the bad Loomis impression.

I think the playfield layout is fine, the rules can obviously improve, but bad-Loomis will always end up being a major deterrent/distraction for me. For this reason alone, I'm more hopeful about UM.

I'm glad you all like him.

#3279 2 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

If you have to replace the fuse more than once there is another issue. I would not continue to replace until you can find what the issue is. Could be as simple as a coil wire poorly soldered or touching something metal. Why don't you send me an email [email protected] and I can try to video call with you tomorrow and find the issue. Should never just keep adding fuses 12+ times.
I'm going to guess the pumpkin scoop ball not coming out issue is a code bug as I see multiple people have it.

Quoted from jailbreakjustin:

I think I may have receive a lemon. I've been working with support but at this point, I'm just flat out exhausted. I'm a brewery owner with this installed in my taproom so I'm unable to troubleshoot to the level that support would like. Below is a list of my many issues thus far.
1.My right bottom flipper continues to get screwed along with the lower right sling and a few other items. The same fuse on the board continues to blow. Service seemed to think it ok to fuse up from 3A SB to 5A SB but it continues to blow. Replaced the fuse over a dozen times. Support thought a coil might be stuck but I cant see how changing the fuse would "unstick" a coil.
2. The game randomly reboots itself when idle
3. The topper knife came with no set screw
4. there is no back rail slide down for the coin box (where the back metal lid slides down over the metal u clamp) so no way to maintain it's position. It constantly moves which ends up causing coin jams
5. I'm having the same pumpkin issue in multiball mode as others have mentioned.
6. In non multiball mode, the ball gets stuck in the pumpkin. Support told me to try and manually adjust the drop out ramp underneath but the problem persists on random occasions
7. My machine now smells like burning plastic and the bottom right flipper is completely dead though the fuse is not blown. The machine is now officially useless after only two weeks.

UPDATE: Spooky seems to think it's a bad board but unfortunately, they are at least a month out from receiving boards as they are completely backordered. Sending back my unit for a refund as I can't afford to have dead space on my taproom floor. PM me if anyone needs additional info

#3280 2 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

The caster wheels are to protect the flasher bases on the backboard oddly enough lol! So we found that if you put the playfield in to far or at a crazy angle you could smash the flasher bases against the back of the cabinet. So the wheel protects them and also rolls along the back nicely in the case that the playfield does get pushed back that far!
Also yes unfortunately there was a chip although I think that overall the playfields are still the absolute industry standard. I think we created a really unique stress possibility with the ramp feeding that way. To be fair also I immediately offered to make it right for the customer in multiple ways at absolutely no cost to him!
P.s I know your comment was not made in any type of negative light!

Awesome. I was thinking it was to keep the PF from hitting the bottom of the cab in certain situations, but couldn't see anywhere for the caster to roll in the pics, so I wasn't -too- far off the mark there. I'm sure with a lot of us being prior and current Stern owners....we're pretty used to just slamming that playfield back to get it over the hump, so the casters preventing idiots like me from doing so is probably a good idea.

Quoted from Cheeks:

My wife doesn't know squat about the movies, and had no idea it was even an impression. Without me ever saying anything, she went on and on about how annoying he is. Now, if we play the game, she invariably repeats "follow the trail of blood" (which he seems to say ALL the time) over and over in a bad impression of the bad Loomis impression.

My wife did the same shit with Lord of the Rings and the Frodo "But I do not know the way" line, because it plays every time you light Frodo....which is the center ramp shot. So it comes up, a LOT at the beginning of every game. It really stopped being funny after about the first week, and it was so damn irritating eventually that I feel like it contributed not-insignificantly to me selling the game. Which was a stupid, STUPID mistake. It was a 4k HUO LOTR we bought from the original owner, documented. I guess my point is that we all find certain callouts to be annoying, regardless of the game.......but how you choose to deal with it makes a huge difference. My wife heard all the other callouts for lighting characters just as much, but chose to single out that one stupid call and mock it ad-infinitum knowing full well that it was an effortless way to tick me off.....

#3281 2 years ago

Hey all, new here and new to pinball ownership. Play a lot of locally but the family decided to surprise me with one of these for the game room since it's my favorite IP. Couple dumb questions for veterans and folks who have already gotten theirs:

How difficult is it to set up and play out of the box? Something a reasonable person can handle alone or should I look to a local with some experience?
What are the dimensions set up? My game area has pretty low clearance (88in) but I can also make room in the garage.
If I do need to make room in the garage, I assume these are pretty sensitive to humidity? I can get a dehumidifier and upgrade the weather stripping but I'd like to do that as much in advance as possible.
What else do I need to know that's obvious to a veteran but a n00b will probably overlook?

Thanks!

#3282 2 years ago

Don’t put it in the garage. Game will fit indoors without the topper, congrats! That’s quite a nice surprise!

Quoted from CursedFrogurt:

Hey all, new here and new to pinball ownership. Play a lot of locally but the family decided to surprise me with one of these for the game room since it's my favorite IP. Couple dumb questions for veterans and folks who have already gotten theirs:
How difficult is it to set up and play out of the box? Something a reasonable person can handle alone or should I look to a local with some experience?
What are the dimensions set up? My game area has pretty low clearance (88in) but I can also make room in the garage.
If I do need to make room in the garage, I assume these are pretty sensitive to humidity? I can get a dehumidifier and upgrade the weather stripping but I'd like to do that as much in advance as possible.
What else do I need to know that's obvious to a veteran but a n00b will probably overlook?
Thanks!

#3283 2 years ago

Thanks!

Buy a later model run, Spooky will have corrected any manufacturing issues by then. I'm 920 and happy to wait. METLE is my only other pin and it's been rock solid, so I'm still a noob for sure.

#3284 2 years ago
Quoted from jailbreakjustin:

I think I may have receive a lemon. I've been working with support but at this point, I'm just flat out exhausted. I'm a brewery owner with this installed in my taproom so I'm unable to troubleshoot to the level that support would like. Below is a list of my many issues thus far.
1.My right bottom flipper continues to get screwed along with the lower right sling and a few other items. The same fuse on the board continues to blow. Service seemed to think it ok to fuse up from 3A SB to 5A SB but it continues to blow. Replaced the fuse over a dozen times. Support thought a coil might be stuck but I cant see how changing the fuse would "unstick" a coil.
2. The game randomly reboots itself when idle
3. The topper knife came with no set screw
4. there is no back rail slide down for the coin box (where the back metal lid slides down over the metal u clamp) so no way to maintain it's position. It constantly moves which ends up causing coin jams
5. I'm having the same pumpkin issue in multiball mode as others have mentioned.
6. In non multiball mode, the ball gets stuck in the pumpkin. Support told me to try and manually adjust the drop out ramp underneath but the problem persists on random occasions
7. My machine now smells like burning plastic and the bottom right flipper is completely dead though the fuse is not blown. The machine is now officially useless after only two weeks.

I'd be interested to hear if and when this gets fixed. Thanks

#3285 2 years ago

Thanks!

VERY easy to set up. Almost plug and play, but instructions are included. Google videos on how to keep it clean and get a shooter lane protector!!

#3286 2 years ago

Very easy. Gotta learn at some point!

Skip pointless shooter lanes protectors

#3287 2 years ago

Has anyone thought about taking the myers figures out and getting them painted more realistic?

#3288 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

Jeff

Definitely way better than the voice actors on GOTG. That’s cringe worthy.

#3289 2 years ago
Quoted from spooky_dj:

I'll come around with my kit if you guys ever want a fun day at the range and enjoy something in 12.7mm that ISN'T a playfield (50 Beowulf)!

Better yet, if SpookyLuke SpookyCharlie or anyone else from Spooky want to come out for PinBrew festival in April, I will put you up with accomodations for the weekend and we can have a fun day at the range one of those days.

#3290 2 years ago

Just received CE #251 and working on getting everything dialed in.

Is there a way to adjust the three Michaels on the left side of the playfield so they all align?

#3291 2 years ago

The top Michael should be out of alignment to keep him safe. Gotta protect our favorite lil’ murderer.

Quoted from John_C:

Just received CE #251 and working on getting everything dialed in.
Is there a way to adjust the three Michaels on the left side of the playfield so they all align?

#3292 2 years ago
Quoted from Lopa:

The top Michael should be out of alignment to keep him safe. Gotta protect our favorite lil’ murderer.

Is this true? When my machine arrived the top was out a bit before I turned the machine on so I pushed it back was I not supposed to?

#3293 2 years ago
Quoted from McIntyre905:

Is this true? When my machine arrived the top was out a bit before I turned the machine on so I pushed it back was I not supposed to?

Spooky chimed in about this early on. They said the rear Michael was out a little to clear the ball drop from the top level. No need to adjust anything if the ball is still clearing.

#3294 2 years ago
Quoted from spooky_dj:

I can arrange this if you want.
Come out for ZapCon and we will take you all shooting in the desert.
One of the guys in our local pinball group is a gunsmith, FFL, SOT holder etc.
He owns a Russian RPG launcher.
We could do the Spooky playfield test against a rocket propelled grenade.
Only issue is the grenades are around $750 per round (totally worth it IMO).
I would pay for a couple, but after that your on your own.

#3295 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I can arrange this if you want.
Come out for ZapCon and we will take you all shooting in the desert.
One of the guys in our local pinball group is a gunsmith, FFL, SOT holder etc.
He owns a Russian RPG launcher.
We could do the Spooky playfield test against a rocket propelled grenade.
Only issue is the grenades are around $750 per round (totally worth it IMO).
I would pay for a couple, but after that your on your own.

Don't forget each single grenade needs its own Federal Tax Stamp as well... Totally worth it!!

#3296 2 years ago
Quoted from macethetemplar:

Don't forget each single grenade needs its own Federal Tax Stamp as well... Totally worth it!!

It’s the little things in life that make us happy.

#3297 2 years ago

He came home.

We put twenty games on it last night and everyone loves it. Everyone.
Loaded with (1.05) code, it’s fantastic. And with the future finished and completed code.. OMG.
Winner.
Shoots great and plenty fast. So very well designed and full of immersive gameplay and suspense that the original movie gave us. Playing at home and in the dark with the (awesome!!!) sound turned way up it’s a solid winner.
Future Spooky Halloween owners fear not. If you love the original movie and playing pinball I think you’ll agree. This may very well be the best horror themed pinball machine ever built.
Bravo Spooky. Bravo.
Halloween is a Spooky ride and Spooky delivered.

SGR

05D61191-C898-4F9C-AB8C-845066BC638A.jpeg05D61191-C898-4F9C-AB8C-845066BC638A.jpeg
#3298 2 years ago
Quoted from steve-o:

He came home.
We put twenty games on it last night and everyone loves it. Everyone.
Loaded with (1.05) code, it’s fantastic. And with the future finished and completed code.. OMG.
Winner.
Shoots great and plenty fast. So very well designed and full of immersive gameplay and suspense that the original movie gave us. Playing at home and in the dark with the (awesome!!!) sound turned way up it’s a solid winner.
Future Spooky Halloween owners fear not. If you love the original movie and playing pinball I think you’ll agree. This may very well be the best horror themed pinball machine ever built.
Bravo Spooky. Bravo.
Halloween is a Spooky ride and Spooky delivered.
SGR
[quoted image]

Awesome! Love hearing reviews like this.

#3299 2 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Hello owners - I have noticed a new issue on my powder coated speaker panel. It seems like dark spots are appearing. My guess is these spots were originally finger prints on the bare metal panel before is was coated. Why it has taken a few months to appear is a mystery. Does anyone have any expertise on the subject?
[quoted image]

I have the same thing going on but mine is on the coin door. It looks pretty bad at certain angles .

IMG_0482 (resized).JPGIMG_0482 (resized).JPG
#3300 2 years ago
Quoted from SpaceFury:

I have the same thing going on but mine is on the coin door. It looks pretty bad at certain angles .
[quoted image]

I see the fingerprints on yours too. Were they always there or showed up afterwards?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
There are 16,870 posts in this topic. You are on page 66 of 338.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/halloween-owners-threadhes-coming-home/page/66?hl=jdub03 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.