IMG_2793 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2800 (resized).jpeg
20240405_232130 (resized).JPG
IMG_1506 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3494 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6888 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

15 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 16,929 posts in this topic. You are on page 182 of 339.
#9051 1 year ago
Quoted from Mundy53:Just installed my 4th Pinotaur board from spooky (thank you surface mount transistors) and I have no controlled lighting. (Yes RBG 0 and RBG 1 are plugged in). I’m definitely experiencing Halloween burnout. Any ideas from the group what the cause could be other than something internal to the board?

Spooky crips are really bad. Re-crip anything not working. Several of mine pulled apart with minimal effort.

#9052 1 year ago
Quoted from Mundy53:

Well I’m happy for you then Beechwood. Mine has been a lemon thus far. I would love to find a hidden problem. But as of yet, neither I, Spooky, or anyone on this forum has found anything to isolate said problem over my months of ownership.

Sounds like a crazy problem and I understand your frustration. It's got to be a pinched wire that's shorting or one small thing that's so hidden you can't see it. Sucks for sure! It's unfortunate as it's such a great game. Hope you get to the bottom of it. If you lived closer I'd be the first one to help track the problem down.

#9053 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

Thanks for clearing that up. Don't forget to mix Frankenberry, Boo-Berry and Count Chocula together as an alternative way to summon the Cenobites!!!

3D2FBD32-8902-4480-A565-956AA84658CD (resized).jpeg3D2FBD32-8902-4480-A565-956AA84658CD (resized).jpeg
#9054 1 year ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

Sounds like a crazy problem and I understand your frustration. It's got to be a pinched wire that's shorting or one small thing that's so hidden you can't see it. Sucks for sure! It's unfortunate as it's such a great game. Hope you get to the bottom of it. If you lived closer I'd be the first one to help track the problem down.

Fact that spooky chose to use surface mount transistors and parts instead of through hole has made this entire experience way more of a pain in the ass. I can change a through hole part in my sleep. Surface mount requires me to send the board in for exchange.

#9055 1 year ago
Quoted from Mundy53:

Fact that spooky chose to use surface mount transistors and parts instead of through hole has made this entire experience way more of a pain in the ass. I can change a through hole part in my sleep. Surface mount requires me to send the board in for exchange.

So many big pinball companies have already done that though…it’s the wave of the future…I’m sure car guys can chime in and wish for those of the past…the ones they could service themselves. Not saying it’s good…but just the reality of all pinball…and more.

#9056 1 year ago
Quoted from Mundy53:

Id rather not solder components to a board, nor do I expect that Spooky would run these boards if they are poorly engineered and dont handle failures well.

#9057 1 year ago
Quoted from Mundy53:

By what you're describing, sure sounds like something else is shortling intermittently, frying the board..( definitely can be a PITA to find).

I'd go thru all the connectors and wiring carefully at the power distro board first....having it mounted to the bottom of the cab makes it a bit vulnerable to vibration....then work out from there....

Best guess Ive got....good luck

( SMT here to stay, and in some of your other games as well)

#9058 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

By what you're describing, sure sounds like something else is shortling intermittently, frying the board..( definitely can be a PITA to find).
I'd go thru all the connectors and wiring carefully at the power distro board first....having it mounted to the bottom of the cab makes it a bit vulnerable to vibration....then work out from there....
Best guess Ive got....good luck
( SMT here to stay, and in some of your other games as well)

Does pinball have a lemon law type of deal. 4 boards blown? Spooky should replace this pin IMO.

#9059 1 year ago
Quoted from Mundy53:

Halloween is one of 15 games I currently own. I can assure you this isn’t my first rodeo and the outlets in my house aren’t the issue.
After about a month of ownership, Judith Meyers drop target reset locked on and took out the coil and transistor. Replaced board, same thing happened again 2 months later. Finally got around to put in board number 3 this week and after 3 days of play a transistor randomly let go (for the middle playfield reset) blowing a fuse. On to board number 4…. No controlled lighting. Just swapped back in board number 3 and verified that board number 4 is the issue…
Spooky customer service has been great, but this, the powder coat and so other problems have given real Halloween burnout. Definitely the least reliable NiB game I’ve ever owned.

Same here . Coil fried . Had to swap boards . Doing that endless shorts and searching for wires not in place . Finally working ok but all hedge servos gone

#9060 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinballer31520:

Same here . Coil fried . Had to swap boards . Doing that endless shorts and searching for wires not in place . Finally working ok but all hedge servos gone

I have 1 hedge servo down as well. Think I finally fixed my 3 drop target bank this week at least. All 3 targets would consistently get stuck up. Either the coil stop or sheet metal was out of spec Causing the fingers of the mechanism to have enough play for them to work inside the slits on the targets. Bent the coil stop enough to remove any play.

I would have been first in line for TNA 2.0 if it wasn’t for my Halloween.

#9061 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Does pinball have a lemon law type of deal. 4 boards blown? Spooky should replace this pin IMO.

Would be awesome, and Spooky really does a great job on the support side. Hope they get it sorted soon as the game is a blast.

( hard to believe there would be 4 consecutive " bad" boards, but suppose it could happen)

#9062 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Would be awesome, and Spooky really does a great job on the support side. Hope they get it sorted soon as the game is a blast.
( hard to believe there would be 4 consecutive " bad" boards, but suppose it could happen)

Only the last board was bad. Something (either code of mechanical) caused the other 3 to blow a mosfet. 2 of those boards were months between events

#9063 1 year ago
Quoted from Mundy53:

I have 1 hedge servo down as well. Think I finally fixed my 3 drop target bank this week at least. All 3 targets would consistently get stuck up. Either the coil stop or sheet metal was out of spec. Causing the fingers of the mechanism to have enough play to cause them to work inside the slits on the targets. Bent the coil stop enough to remove any play.

Ugh...

#9064 1 year ago
Quoted from Mundy53:

Only the last board was bad. Something (either code of mechanical) caused the other 3 to blow a mosfet. 2 of those boards were months between events

That makes sense....definitely sorry to hear you're getting thrashed on this machine.....spent what seemed like forever on my NIB WOZECLE sorting through all sorts of things. Was tempted to set it on fire a few times....eventually got through it and now love the crazy thing....

#9065 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

That makes sense....definitely sorry to hear you're getting thrashed on this machine.....spent what seemed like forever on my NIB WOZECLE sorting through all sorts of things. Was tempted to set it on fire a few times....eventually got through it and now love the crazy thing....

ACNC for me recently…now all is good…just keep going…or take a break and come back…in the end, you’ll feel like you can fix anything on this machine…and it’s a great pin!

#9066 1 year ago

Is there a recommended fix for the pumpkin scoop shot?

It’s reject city all day on my game and I read others were having the same issue. Just wondering what adjustments people are using to lower the number of rejected shots on this scoop.

F6E6594B-495E-4F3B-B6EF-52B7948C62CA (resized).pngF6E6594B-495E-4F3B-B6EF-52B7948C62CA (resized).png
#9067 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

If you have the same chip blowing on every board then you have to figure what that chip is for, what it controls and investigate that coil or whatever for a short, unless it's just bad electrical design then we will need official word from the company on a POA (plan of action).

#9068 1 year ago
Quoted from McDoom:

It’s reject city all day on my game and I read others were having the same issue. Just wondering what adjustments people are using to lower the number of rejected shots on this scoop.
[quoted image]

Someone said there was an adjustment guide somewhere in this thread. I cannot find it. I also would love to know the problems and the fixes because mine has been excellent until recently where they occasionally bounce out, hit the knife and drain. Super odd, and it's happened a few times this week. It seems like such a large, open hole that any shot would just drop in.

#9069 1 year ago
Quoted from McDoom:

[quoted image]

A couple people have swapped out the back stop to have the shot bounce down instead of forward. There are some aftermarket options. I get the occasional reject back I wouldn’t call it reject city on my game. I can back hand it from the right flipper pretty consistently. I bought a different one but I’m pretty lazy and haven’t installed it yet. I think most people just most people fire it into the second playfield and let it fall in that way.

#9070 1 year ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

Someone said there was an adjustment guide somewhere in this thread. I cannot find it. I also would love to know the problems and the fixes because mine has been excellent until recently where they occasionally bounce out, hit the knife and drain. Super odd, and it's happened a few times this week. It seems like such a large, open hole that any shot would just drop in.

I think what happens over time the back board bends back. Some people have bent it back down. But this will just keep happening. A different shaped scoop might not bend as easily. Like I just replied, I picked one up but am too lazy to install it. Someone on this thread took some pics of a swapped out version.

#9071 1 year ago
Quoted from McDoom:

[quoted image]

Check the end of the ultraman thread

#9072 1 year ago

Anyone try foam impact deadening tape for pumpkin rejects?

#9073 1 year ago
Quoted from McDoom:

[quoted image]

Changed mine out early on...shared pics and some intall tips, now a very reliable shot...up in this thread somewhere..

#9074 1 year ago
Quoted from GreenMachine19:

A couple people have swapped out the back stop to have the shot bounce down instead of forward. There are some aftermarket options. I get the occasional reject back I wouldn’t call it reject city on my game. I can back hand it from the right flipper pretty consistently. I bought a different one but I’m pretty lazy and haven’t installed it yet. I think most people just most people fire it into the second playfield and let it fall in that way.

I've tried backhanding and other angles off the flippers, I would say out of 50 tries, I can hit it maybe 3 times and most of those 3 times are from ricochets.

I usually go through the house to access it however, I should be able to hit it directly without the ball just bouncing into the outlanes. There are some modes/features that require a direct hit.

If there is a fix, we should add it to the forum topics with any other fixes or concerns.

BTW, any rumors on a code update before this Halloween?

#9075 1 year ago

Moderators, please key post the scoop adjustment and alternative part #. Thanks!

#9076 1 year ago
Quoted from GreenMachine19:

I think what happens over time the back board bends back. Some people have bent it back down. But this will just keep happening. A different shaped scoop might not bend as easily. Like I just replied, I picked one up but am too lazy to install it. Someone on this thread took some pics of a swapped out version.

After some tweaking, I've got the ball going into the hole on successful shots most of the time. What's happening on mine is that the ball seems to be hitting the bottom of the plastic subway and bouncing straight back up and out again. I'm thinking of putting some foam there or something, but the ball still needs to be able to roll cleanly through the subway...

#9077 1 year ago
Quoted from jkashani:

Anyone try foam impact deadening tape for pumpkin rejects?

This reminds me - the mode hole shot on the Williams IJ has a very similar issue. The ultimate fix for mine was to remove the scoop shroud entirely and add the PinBits deadening foam. That stuff was magic. I’m not sure removing the shroud is an option here, but I sure as heck think it worth trying with the foam.

All that said, I dont have too many issues with scoop rejects - my issue is much more consistently with the center ramp shots bouncing off the diverter (I think that’s what is happening) and then immediately SDTM. That and when I get a slightly weaker shot up the ramp and the ball just stops on the upper playfield. I usually have to tilt to shake it free. I need to figure that out.

#9078 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

All that said, I dont have too many issues with rejects - my issue is much more consistently with the center ramp shots bouncing off the diverter (I think that’s what is happening) and then immediately SDTM.

I know a few people had their diverter break from this issue. Amazingly, my center ramp shoots smooth as glass and it's the left ramp that rattles frequently, particularly when backhanding the shot. I haven't figured out the fix for that just yet.

#9079 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This reminds me - the mode hole shot on the Williams IJ has a very similar issue. The ultimate fix for mine was to remove the scoop shroud entirely and add the PinBits deadening foam. That stuff was magic. I’m not sure removing the shroud is an option here, but I sure as heck think it worth trying with the foam.
All that said, I dont have too many issues with scoop rejects - my issue is much more consistently with the center ramp shots bouncing off the diverter (I think that’s what is happening) and then immediately SDTM. That and when I get a slightly weaker shot up the ramp and the ball just stops on the upper playfield. I usually have to tilt to shake it free. I need to figure that out.

Drop dead foam is amazing ( still have a couple strips hoarded in my stash) . Hard to find anymore..( believe Pinbits is gone or something) there were similiar products listed in here some time back as well.

Doesn't really work for this application ( I tried) due to the spot where the ball hits the scoop, along with its shape.

Bending the original back down after its been smacked up definitely helped. The permanent fix is replacing the "scoop" to a "deflector", acting simply like a backboard...sends the ball into the hole.

Also have to pay attention to the mylar strip around the protector. Can act as a ramp if it's on the metal, instead of just around it.....the little things...

#9080 1 year ago
Quoted from Mundy53:

I have 1 hedge servo down as well. Think I finally fixed my 3 drop target bank this week at least. All 3 targets would consistently get stuck up. Either the coil stop or sheet metal was out of spec Causing the fingers of the mechanism to have enough play for them to work inside the slits on the targets. Bent the coil stop enough to remove any play.

I ended up bending the coil stop on my triple bank drop target as well. Hoping this does the trick though there is still some play but a bit less than before.

#9081 1 year ago

I have very few scoop rejects on my HWN and UM and have not done any tinkering. Both are somewhat later builds--don't know if Spooky made an adjustment?

#9082 1 year ago

I’ve had zero issues with my Halloween…..
In the middle of a good game it froze.
First ball, started sanitarium mode then started Laurie strikes back. I completed Laurie strikes back and at the end it locked up. I had to reboot twice to clear it. Is this a known bug?

F846D7F0-9E5A-4376-8D4A-ABA16F134C13 (resized).jpegF846D7F0-9E5A-4376-8D4A-ABA16F134C13 (resized).jpeg
#9083 1 year ago
Quoted from JesseJames23:

I’ve had zero issues with my Halloween…..
In the middle of a good game it froze.
First ball, started sanitarium mode then started Laurie strikes back. I completed Laurie strikes back and at the end it locked up. I had to reboot twice to clear it. Is this a known bug?

Same thing happened to me last night!!

Had a decent game bricking shots in my scoop (lol), then suddenly, the screen went black and there was no sound and some of the lights dimmed. Strangely there was still power to the flippers.

First time it ever happened. (Guess I'll check the cables it see if they are seated correctly).

I wonder if it's a software issue though.

#9084 1 year ago
Quoted from Blakester:

I have very few scoop rejects on my HWN and UM and have not done any tinkering. Both are somewhat later builds--don't know if Spooky made an adjustment?

I'm 504, what number are you?

#9085 1 year ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I know a few people had their diverter break from this issue. Amazingly, my center ramp shoots smooth as glass and it's the left ramp that rattles frequently, particularly when backhanding the shot. I haven't figured out the fix for that just yet.

Great. Hasn’t happened yet, but I can absolutely see this being an issue - when I get a good shot the ball rockets up the ramp, and explodes against the diverter, then like I said, SDTM.

I’ll have to work on backhanding the left ramp - I’ve not been able to do it with a ball in motion, but it’s still an easier shot than backhanding the Houdini inner right loop, which I got damn good at.

#9086 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Great. Hasn’t happened yet, but I can absolutely see this being an issue - when I get a good shot the ball rockets up the ramp, and explodes against the diverter, then like I said, SDTM.
I’ll have to work on backhanding the left ramp - I’ve not been able to do it with a ball in motion, but it’s still an easier shot than backhanding the Houdini inner right loop, which I got damn good at.

There have been a number of posts on this. Sounds like just undoing the screw and repositioning the diverter left or right (depending on your issue) as needed fixes it. Good luck!

#9087 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I have had numerous what I thought were clean shots up the middle ramp get rejected and sent rocketing back SDTFM.

Are we all sure it's hitting the diverter and then rebounding? Because it has to get past the spring steel tongue that is supposed to prevent exactly this type of rebound.

I have had a close look at this area on my UM, and I suspect that sometimes the spring steel tongue is hitting something and not letting the ball get past and rebounding it.

I have shaved back one side of the cutout in the plastic, which is clearly off-center.

After (resized).jpgAfter (resized).jpgBefore (resized).jpgBefore (resized).jpg
#9088 1 year ago
Quoted from mac2444:

There have been a number of posts on this. Sounds like just undoing the screw and repositioning the diverter left or right (depending on your issue) as needed fixes it. Good luck!

I must have missed those - thanks!

#9089 1 year ago
Quoted from McDoom:I'm 504, what number are you?

#9090 1 year ago
Quoted from Vimtoman:

Looks great. BallyKISS1978 daughter does a great job of the paintwork.
Nice pictures by the way

Thank you! I posted on Facebook and people saw your house mod and they ended up ordering from you. Glad to been able to send some people over to you who are not on pinside. The mod you did is one of the best.

#9091 1 year ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Thank you! I posted on Facebook and people saw your house mod and they ended up ordering from you. Glad to been able to send some people over to you who are not on pinside. The mod you did is one of the best.

How many other mods has someone gone to the trouble of actually filming and acting in their own mod? Let alone designing and building the actual mod to put in position? I have his Crate mod for TWD which is amazing but this looks to be another amazing Vimtoman mod and not just another flashing light mod!
So yeah definitely one of the best
Wish I had my Halloween to fit one in, but that maybe very soon now.

#9092 1 year ago

Got my spare metal gear servos… and a new T-shirt.

B3F3444C-E381-4171-B0AE-948157B52912 (resized).jpegB3F3444C-E381-4171-B0AE-948157B52912 (resized).jpegA3054792-1E40-4A95-A325-BC56B4BE9B44 (resized).jpegA3054792-1E40-4A95-A325-BC56B4BE9B44 (resized).jpeg
#9093 1 year ago

Just joined the club after having Halloween standard #1209 transferred to me. Can't wait to bring it home!

#9094 1 year ago

A few shots w Orange EL pumpkin ( I landed on orange vacuum chromed flipper buttons)...color blend a bit more red during the day for some reason, but done screwing w this one. Armor absolutely kills w the EL...

I'll start a thread in a few days gauging interest to purchase the EL kit.

Enjoy a badass version of this great game...

20220918_184756 (resized).jpg20220918_184756 (resized).jpg20220918_190130 (resized).jpg20220918_190130 (resized).jpg20220918_190451 (resized).jpg20220918_190451 (resized).jpg20220918_194435 (resized).jpg20220918_194435 (resized).jpg20220918_194501 (resized).jpg20220918_194501 (resized).jpg20220918_194549 (resized).jpg20220918_194549 (resized).jpg20220918_194716 (resized).jpg20220918_194716 (resized).jpg
#9095 1 year ago

Looks great!!

#9096 1 year ago

I second that

#9097 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

A few shots w Orange EL pumpkin ( I landed on orange vacuum chromed flipper buttons)...color blend a bit more red during the day for some reason, but done screwing w this one. Armor absolutely kills w the EL...
I'll start a thread in a few days gauging interest to purchase the EL kit.
Enjoy a badass version of this great game...
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Oh, helllllll yes! I'm in!

#9098 1 year ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Got my spare metal gear servos… and a new T-shirt.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I've got a trio of spare metal gear servos coming on Tuesday.

I also clear-coated my rails and lockdown bar yesterday. It's a "preventative maintenance" sort of weekend over here.

#9099 1 year ago

So any tips on prep before I spray the rails/lockdown parts with clear ?

#9100 1 year ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

So any tips on prep before I spray the rails/lockdown parts with clear ?

Nothing from me! It couldn't have been easier or more straightforward. I just took them off and did like 3-4 coats, with each coat a little heavier than the previous one. I sprayed mine outdoors in AZ, so it didn't take long for each coat to dry.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 63.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

5,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lexington, KY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nipomo, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Monson, MA
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinned Out Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Charlotte, NC
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 16,929 posts in this topic. You are on page 182 of 339.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/halloween-owners-threadhes-coming-home/page/182 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.