Cbl9jGwUcAEkjQk (resized).jpg
IMG_2793 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2800 (resized).jpeg
20240405_232130 (resized).JPG
IMG_1506 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3494 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

15 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 16,960 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 340.
#751 2 years ago

Interesting, At reveal I was concerned with the rules / code and I was assured by both Bug and Charlie (in these forums) that you were on board as a consultant. This led me to believe that you would have had more involvement outside of an initial review and some one time early notes. I based my purchase of a CE on these assurances and I honestly feel a bit misled. That being said, the game looks great…it’s progressing…and, I just hope Fawzma stays fully engaged and takes the code into the stratosphere.

Quoted from bkerins:

To clarify two things: first, the description of R&M is just about right on. Eric, besides writing 100% of the code, worked very closely with me and wrote many of the rules. He is outstanding, detail-oriented, fast, accurate, and he knows how to make pinball fun. Eric is a huge reason why Rick & Morty is a great pinball machine.
Second, I no longer work with Spooky Pinball. The first time I saw the layout, the art, and the rules for Halloween and Ultraman was the first time you saw it, publicly. After it was revealed, I gave Spooky some advice on what they could or should do with these games, based on video. I have not played either game at all, and I have not seen my suggestions implemented.
What they do with my advice is entirely their decision. I am not involved in any way. That is not what I would have preferred, but that is what they chose.
I will always root for Spooky to succeed, and I am grateful for the opportunity that Charlie and the rest of the Spooky team gave me to work with them on Alice Cooper and Rick & Morty.

#752 2 years ago
Quoted from bkerins:

After it was revealed, I gave Spooky some advice on what they could or should do with these games, based on video. I have not played either game at all, and I have not seen my suggestions implemented. What they do with my advice is entirely their decision. I am not involved in any way. That is not what I would have preferred, but that is what they chose.

This is very sad to read. Software and rules made R&M an incredible machine, while I feel the software and rules on my Rob Zombie are serviceable, but amateurish.

I really hope the Halloween team can make a game equal to R&M. I know it was a tiny little blip in the buildup, but the fact Bowen was *supposed* to be helping with software was the biggest reason I preordered a Halloween. Top players make the best rules (see: KME, LFS, KEF, etc). Spooky: please do not ignore Bowen.

#753 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Interesting, At reveal I was concerned with the rules / code and I was assured by both Bug and Charlie (in these forums) that you were on board as a consultant. This led me to believe that you would have had more involvement outside of an initial review and some one time early notes. I based my purchase of a CE on these assurances and I honestly feel a bit misled. That being said, the game looks great…it’s progressing…and, I just hope Fawzma stays fully engaged and takes the code into the stratosphere.

Didnt they even post a picture at the time? Didnt Fawzma kind of abandon RZ? I just want this pin to be everything it can be!!

#754 2 years ago

Could someone who has done the addition of the zip tie ends to stop the glass rattle post a pic or two?

#755 2 years ago

Bowen wanted to help with Halloween……but was denied by spooky. More at 6!

Oh I can already hear the drama train.

I don’t know - I’m sure there is more to this story considering Bowen is nothing but an asset in this hobby and spooky is pretty sharp so unless it was a money thing, it doesn’t make sense. Money wise, spooky sold out at its highest price yet so they should be well positioned to get talent.

#756 2 years ago
Quoted from bkerins:

That is not what I would have preferred, but that is what they chose.

Sounds like they kind of reached a "crap or get off the pot" moment. They need to be able to design and code these games with their in-house guys, and not be reliant on external (possibly unpaid) members of the community. There's potential legal issues there as well, and it may have been a condition of one or both license holders not wanting someone not on the payroll being involved. This isn't necessarily the end of the world, or even a BAD decision necessarily, but like someone stated above, it does raise a few questions, especially given that some people feel that ACNC was left unfinished (and I don't keep up with ACNC stuff, I've just seen it mentioned here and there).

I think if anyone is or was expecting Lyman level code where there's such ridiculously arcane things (such as knowing the release order of AC/DC's albums) to affect scoring....they were going to be disappointed no matter what it ends up being. Lyman is a freak of nature (in the best way possible!), plain and simple. Personally, for me, I'm cool with the more "basic" code archetypes of like AFM/MM/Stranger Things, but these games already look like they're trying to be more complicated than that. As long as the modes make you shoot varied shots and aren't too easy to complete (strict timers, wide shot variation making you shoot specific shots in a sequence, or create specific combos), I'll be happy. Let's be honest here...... it's pretty hard to innovate in pinball rules. Most games that aren't Lyman games follow some long-running patterns, and even on Lyman games the "exception to the rule" part is frequently limited to scoring for the wizard modes. Metallica was an awesome game, but very little there that I would say was "innovated" aside from Crank-it-Up modes and their contribution to scoring.

That updates keep bricking the games to the point that you have to go to support is far more concerning to me than the current state of the code.

#757 2 years ago

Not sure what exactly the deal is, it’s not the end of the world but Bowen being involved, even if on the sidelines instilled a bit of confidence in myself and others that the game had a consummate rule nerd looking out for us deep divers.

I attribute the new code bricking to rushing it for a Halloween release…may have not been fully ready to roll out.

Quoted from Frax:

Sounds like they kind of reached a "crap or get off the pot" moment. They need to be able to design and code these games with their in-house guys, and not be reliant on external (possibly unpaid) members of the community. There's potential legal issues there as well, and it may have been a condition of one or both license holders not wanting someone not on the payroll being involved. This isn't necessarily the end of the world, or even a BAD decision necessarily, but like someone stated above, it does raise a few questions, especially given that some people feel that ACNC was left unfinished (and I don't keep up with ACNC stuff, I've just seen it mentioned here and there).
I think if anyone is or was expecting Lyman level code where there's such ridiculously arcane things (such as knowing the release order of AC/DC's albums) to affect scoring....they were going to be disappointed no matter what it ends up being. Lyman is a freak of nature (in the best way possible!), plain and simple. Personally, for me, I'm cool with the more "basic" code archetypes of like AFM/MM/Stranger Things, but these games already look like they're trying to be more complicated than that. As long as the modes make you shoot varied shots and aren't too easy to complete (strict timers, wide shot variation making you shoot specific shots in a sequence, or create specific combos), I'll be happy. Let's be honest here...... it's pretty hard to innovate in pinball rules. Most games that aren't Lyman games follow some long-running patterns, and even on Lyman games the "exception to the rule" part is frequently limited to scoring for the wizard modes. Metallica was an awesome game, but very little there that I would say was "innovated" aside from Crank-it-Up modes and their contribution to scoring.
That updates keep bricking the games to the point that you have to go to support is far more concerning to me than the current state of the code.

#758 2 years ago

The bricking is a user error. Too many others updated successfully.
I'm liking the adjustments/additions to the rules in yesterday's update. There's a lot more going on with callouts and movie clips.

#759 2 years ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

The bricking is a user error. *snip*

This is completely wrong. You have no idea what you are talking about to make such a statement. There may be those out there who made a mistake during update, but to claim it is solely user error is a wrong assumption.

#760 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

This is completely wrong. You have no idea what you are talking about to make such a statement.

Then how are some updating with no problems?

#761 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:Such a dumb question huh? Bowen is even questioning the decision...

It is still a stupid question. In fact, even dumber once you account for the fact tht Bowen is no longer on Staff at Spooky.

Now it is akin to asking why Stern didn't use Joe Balcer on one of their machines.

#762 2 years ago

Then how are some updating with no problems?

Not sure. I have updated Ultraman with no issue. But then had problems with Halloween doing the identical steps. Just reimaged Halloween 5 times last night trying to get the code update to work, just would not stick. Many others who are very well versed with updates went through the same.

Fawzma said he will have another image file today with the update. He could not solve it for some, including me. Others were able to solve it.

#763 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

Not sure. I have updated Ultraman with no issue. But then had problems with Halloween doing the identical steps. Just reimaged Halloween 5 times last night trying to get the code update to work, just would not stick. Many others who are very well versed with updates went through the same.

I updated mine with no problems.

#764 2 years ago

We figured as much, lol.

#765 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

Fawzma said he will have another image file today with the update. He could not solve it for some, including me. Others were able to solve it.

Could it have been a corrupted download…from the server or from your computer to the USB thumb drive? Have you tried a different thumb drive? Just trying to help and through out ideas. I had no problem with mine as well.

#766 2 years ago

Also of importance- the Ultraman update was literally pulled down from the site for a week due to a bunch of machines bricking, even though my Ultraman and others, did not. So it is hit and miss for some reason.

#767 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Could it have been a corrupted download…from the server or from your computer to the USB thumb drive? Have you tried a different thumb drive? Just trying to help and through out ideas. I had no problem with mine as well.

Yah we tried different usb sticks, even different links (website vs fawzma email link)
Thanks for the suggestions

#768 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

Yah we tried different usb sticks, even different links (website vs fawzma email link)

Are you using PC or Mac? I know in the past Mac can cause problems.

#769 2 years ago

I was able to perform the update with no issues as well, used a 32GB Samsung flash drive.

#770 2 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

It is still a stupid question. In fact, even dumber once you account for the fact tht Bowen is no longer on Staff at Spooky.
Now it is akin to asking why Stern didn't use Joe Balcer on one of their machines.

His response sounds like he wanted to do it, why didn't they let him? Someone who has a proven track record can produce good code....

#771 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

His response sounds like he wanted to do it, why didn't they let him? Someone who has a proven track record can produce good code....

My guess would be that this is Bug and Spooky Luke's baby/creation and Charlie wanted them to take the reigns.

#772 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

Also of importance- the Ultraman update was literally pulled down from the site for a week due to a bunch of machines bricking, even though my Ultraman and others, did not. So it is hit and miss for some reason.

I think I am a little relieved it isn't just me screwing it up...Makes me feel like I can't handle doing a simple code update..lol

#773 2 years ago

Not 1 Halloween or Ultraman at Expo which was disappointing.

#774 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

Not 1 Halloween or Ultraman at Expo which was disappointing.

That was surprising not to generate buzz for the brand, But Halloween will be at the Houston Expo Nov 12th and 13th and David Van Es is bringing it. Not sure if he is bringing his personal or if he is representing Spooky..Scott Danesi is coming to but he always does because it is a big party and he DJ's part of it..

#775 2 years ago

I think its a good guess - but Bug specifically said he was working with him. So what changed?

Quoted from manadams:

My guess would be that this is Bug and Spooky Luke's baby/creation and Charlie wanted them to take the reigns.

#776 2 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

I think its a good guess - but Bug specifically said he was working with him. So what changed?

Beats me, maybe Bug meant that they were considering Bowen's advice or input. I was under the impression that Bowen was still working at Spooky just like most people until his recent post.

#777 2 years ago

#778 2 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

I was under the impression that Bowen was still working at Spooky just like most people until his recent post.

I was under same impression as others were at announcement since Charlie mentioned it.
Hope for best, but this news is not very encouraging.
9BDC71CE-D4C5-49C3-B24C-0220136C9367 (resized).jpeg9BDC71CE-D4C5-49C3-B24C-0220136C9367 (resized).jpeg

#779 2 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

I was under same impression others were at announcement since Charlie mentioned it.
Hope for the best, but this news is not very encouraging. [quoted image]

You guys are all doom and gloom. Bowen is incredible at what he does, but this pin is a hit. Every code update has been a huge improvement on the last, the rules keep getting better, the assets are becoming more visible….this pin is just a blast to shoot…and if he is telling the truth (no reason to not believe) and hasn’t been really involved…Spooky has been doing this without him already. Anyone who has one on order, congrats, you’ll love it!

#780 2 years ago

I don’t think it’s doom and gloom - just surprising as I think the expectation was that Bowen was consulting in the rules. There is some confidence that goes along with that.

I wonder if anyone is consulting with them - or is this truly a Bug and SpookyLuke solo gig (I’m sure it’s a whole team effort but you know what I mean)

Quoted from dnapac:

You guys are all doom and gloom. Bowen is incredible at what he does, but this pin is a hit. Every code update has been a huge improvement on the last, the rules keep getting better, the assets are becoming more visible….this pin is just a blast to shoot…and if he is telling the truth (no reason to not believe) and hasn’t been really involved…Spooky has been doing this without him already. Anyone who has one on order, congrats, you’ll love it!

#781 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I don't think doom and gloom, I am looking at the bigger picture, I hope Spooky pays attention to investing in talent, I see they invest in tools and buildings.

Sometimes trying to develop your own people instead of putting the best person you can find for the job at hand limits a game to only being average or good and not great.

#782 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Sometimes trying to develop your own people instead of putting the best person you can find for the job comes at the expense of making a good product great

Well, I only have so many spots and would prefer to fill them with great games, not good ones. I played Godzilla premium at Expo and that's a great game. Hoping Halloween is also great whichever way the rules get developed.

#783 2 years ago

You folks are a never ending source of entertainment.
I have posted this in the past, but it was never a secret as to who was doing what on these machines.
I asked and had no hesitation on going forward knowing Corwin and Fawzma were handling rules and code.
If you just assumed then that is on you.

Below is a cut and paste of my email communication response from Morgan the day before the sale.

<begin cut>

Design was Karis Borloff lol
rules & code are Bug (Corwin Emery) & Fawzma with Bowen Kerins advising.
Thanks!
Morgan Emery
Spooky Pinball LLC
50 Easy Street
Benton,WI 53803
815-541-0054

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 6:11 PM Brian Dooley <[email protected]> wrote:
Hey Squirrel,
Looking forward to you folks selling out of everything tomorrow.

Where can I find a list of the team for the machines?
Like programming, rules, design, etc..
I see the Music and Artwork credits.

Thanks,
Brian

<end cut>

#784 2 years ago
Quoted from Morinack:

I have posted this in the past, but it was never a secret as to who was doing what on these machines.
I asked and had no hesitation on going forward knowing Corwin and Fawzma were handling rules and code.
Below is a cut and paste of my email communication response from Morgan the day before the sale.
<begin cut>
Thanks!
Morgan Emery
Spooky Pinball LLC
50 Easy Street
Benton,WI 53803
815-541-0054
Hey Squirrel,
Thanks,
Brian
<end cut>

I have an Ultraman on order and still have faith that the code/rules will be great but to say that Bowen will be advising without being on the payroll anymore is a little misleading.

#785 2 years ago
Quoted from Morinack:

<begin cut>
Thanks!
Morgan Emery
Spooky Pinball LLC
50 Easy Street
Benton,WI 53803
815-541-0054
Hey Squirrel,
Thanks,
Brian
<end cut>

I understand pushing back against criticism of a new game but apparently Bowen is not advising in any meaningful way. That’s the point most are making about this. I think the other thing is that the rules/code seem kind of pedestrian so far which is raising some questions about where it’s all going at a price of $8999. Personally, I don’t think it’s amusing. I don’t think anyone is losing their minds or panicking in raising some questions about the rules. Bowen has a lot of respect in the community and he would have only made this game better. It seems like a loss not having him involved. Spooky seems like a really cool company and this is a great theme, art package, and interesting layout. Great rules and code could really take it over the top. I’m hoping it really does evolve in its ruleset as it seems kind of basic at the moment.

#786 2 years ago

Clearly Bowen was advising and is not now.

Let's have a conversation about code 6 to 12 months from now.
These guys are busting a nut on trying to help people have a pleasurable gaming experience.
Are there challenges, hiccups, buggy releases? Sure but don't for a minute dismiss the level of engagement Spooky gives to Pinside that they don't have to.
It is unfortunate that Bowen is not currently engaged but hey, that just happens sometimes.

The average experience with people playing these games is positive.
If that changes then there will be something to complain about.

#787 2 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

I was under same impression as others were at announcement since Charlie mentioned it.
Hope for best, but this news is not very encouraging.
[quoted image]

Bowen helping on the rules is one of the reasons I purchased Halloween. Kind of strange he said You know Bowen is here helping me. When Bowen was not there helping him.

#788 2 years ago

It sounds more like Bowen was consulted, or at least discussed ideas regarding the rules, but the rules he suggested are not implemented...yet. Spooky had to focus on production for a few weeks while they were short staffed. Didn't they post that they doubled there staffing recently? During that time it sounds as though communication with Bowen was non-existent. Now that they are in a better spot with production staffing hopefully those that were helping keep the line moving will be able to return to their other roles with rules and communication. Who knows, maybe they will even reach out to Bowen for some more consultation.

#789 2 years ago

The bricking is a user error. Too many others updated successfully.
I'm liking the adjustments/additions to the rules in yesterday's update. There's a lot more going on with callouts and movie clips.

Hey look Rebelguitars, file taken down. Huh, that's weird.

Screenshot_20211101-153037_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211101-153037_Chrome (resized).jpg

#790 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

Hey look Rebelguitars, file taken down. Huh, that's weird.
[quoted image]

Hey Morgoth00 thanks for letting me know..
Also, its down because of some bugs found in 1.02 including one in Asylum MB that kept the mode going even when down to one ball.

#791 2 years ago
Quoted from icyjones:

Could someone who has done the addition of the zip tie ends to stop the glass rattle post a pic or two?

Here you go

20211101_191718 (resized).jpg20211101_191718 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211101-191921_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211101-191921_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211101-191933_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211101-191933_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211101-191942_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211101-191942_Gallery (resized).jpg
#792 2 years ago
Quoted from brerspidur:

Here you go[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Brespidur's wife/girlfriend knew why he wasn't answering his phone, lol... too busy taking pics of zip ties.

#793 2 years ago
Quoted from brerspidur:

Here you go[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks!

#794 2 years ago

We all know why the latest update was bricking some games!

Oh wait, wrong pinball company.

Sorry, could not resist, this is my favorite meme of 2021!

OwnersFault (resized).jpgOwnersFault (resized).jpg
#795 2 years ago

Just my weekly gripe reminder that the only reason this "fix" needs to exist is because the game does not have a ported sub box. I know, I 'm a broken record, but this is a ridiculously stupid problem that they already fixed on TNA and then removed after that game.

#796 2 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

Just my weekly gripe reminder that the only reason this "fix" needs to exist is because the game does not have a ported sub box. I know, I 'm a broken record, but this is a ridiculously stupid problem that they already fixed on TNA and then removed after that game.

I get it. You’re an audiophile. With how specific you need to be (box size and port size) for each specific speaker, Spooky may have chose not to do this in case their supplier changed, thus figuring out the above specs to not blow the sub. Plus, most of us are just ecstatic with how good it sounds now. It’s not that expensive, just time consuming. I’m sure you can add this to yours and it will sound incredible.

#797 2 years ago

Anybody having any auto launch issues?

During multi ball I have been getting weak launches that don’t get it out of the shooter lane and I have to manually plunge to get it out.

#798 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Anybody having any auto launch issues?
During multi ball I have been getting weak launches that don’t get it out of the shooter lane and I have to manually plunge to get it out.

Never had that. If it works at other times, guessing it’s code. At times mine just shoots ball after ball, have to power cycle to get it to stop. I suspect the next code will sort most of this.

#799 2 years ago

So, the backglass glistens…seems to have small reflective pieces. Any of the other owners noticed this?

#800 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Never had that. If it works at other times, guessing it’s code. At times mine just shoots ball after ball, have to power cycle to get it to stop. I suspect the next code will sort most of this.

Ya, never had a problem until it bricked and now I am stuck with re-image of version one until they figure out why my machine won’t take newest code.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Wilkes-barre, PA
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Charlotte, NC
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinned Out Mods

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Woodinville, WA
$ 63.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 16,960 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 340.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/halloween-owners-threadhes-coming-home/page/16 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.