IMG_4867 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4865 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0488 (resized).jpg
IMG_0487 (resized).jpg
IMG_0482 (resized).jpg
IMG_0486 (resized).jpg
IMG_0484 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

15 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 16,870 posts in this topic. You are on page 134 of 338.
#6651 1 year ago
Quoted from Mkvgti:

Had this happen twice now (60 plays in)
Right flipper becomes unresponsive after this (pictured) push-pin works itself out, disconnecting the action (I'm not sure on the terms, new to the hobby). It seems reasonably tight when I push it back in with pliers.
Thoughts on making the fix more permanent - new push-pin, loctite, etc?
[quoted image]

Hit up our service we will mail you out a new one! Odd issue we had shortly, we already addressed it with the supplier and they have corrected!

#6652 1 year ago

SpookyLuke Hey! Are you guys going to Pintastic next weekend?

#6653 1 year ago
Quoted from WombatPinball:

SpookyLuke Hey! Are you guys going to Pintastic next weekend?

Next year!

#6654 1 year ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

How is it compared to Alien? I would think Alien is a bit smoother since those orbits were as smooth as any game I've ever played. I always enjoyed the mood created just by hitting start. I sold it since it was a bit unreliable and I never did fix the Xeno mech.

Different games...I have a HW version. Won't compare to the PB remake as it just starts nonsense.....my take as a whole (related to Halloween):

- Theme - Alien best sci-fi horror theme there is for me
Halloween is best slasher, shock theme for me so tie.
- Layout - Alien is a widebody yet plays alot like a standard cab. Very smooth, can be very fast with amazing geometry. Alot of ways to go at it.
Halloween is more of a shot maker, a bit more stop and go, but very satisfying when you get the combos going. Future code will only enhance...
- Immersion - Alien has the playfield screen along with large overhead in backbox. Even though it only received 2 or 3 updates (?) the video editing and being
able to get real time info without lifting your eyes just puts you in the game. Combine all the elements (David's audio, etc.) and there is no
equal (for me).
Halloween does an incredible job already with pulling you in...has such a great horror vibe to it. Suspect the final coded version, with the right
video/ audio assets, turns this great game into a must have for many. Already is for me.
- Comparison - You can't buy a new HW Alien, however it's still the favorite in my lineup and of any game I've played. Never any factory support, so yes, you
needed to be committed to the machine.
With that statement, I really, really like my Halloween. It's a 100% win over a PB Alien due to the fact:
PB is definitely not Spooky
PB Alien is definitely not a Hwy Alien
You can buy a new or HUO Halloween that is supported by an amazing company

Thank you Spooky!!!!! (my .02)

#6655 1 year ago

Halloween Club thread, so it rules in here btw.

#6656 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Different games...I have a Hwy version. Won't compare to the PB remake as it just starts nonsense.....my take as a whole (related to Halloween):
- Theme - Alien best sci-fi theme there is for me
Halloween is best slasher, shock theme for me so tie.
- Layout - Alien is a widebody yet plays alot like a standard cab. Very smooth, can be very fast with amazing geometry. Alot of ways to go at it.
Halloween is more of a shot maker, a bit more stop and go, but very satisfying when you get the combos going. Future code will only enhance...
- Immersion - Alien has the playfield screen along with large overhead in backbox. Even though it only received 2 or 3 updates (?) the video editing and being
able to get real time info without lifting your eyes just puts you in the game. Combine all the elements (David's audio, etc.) and there is no
equal (for me).
Halloween does an incredible job already with pulling you in...has such a great horror vibe to it. Suspect the final coded version, with the right
video/ audio assets, turns this great game into a must have for many. Already is for me.
- Comparison - You can't buy a new HW Alien, however it's still the favorite in my lineup and of any game I've played. Never any factory support, so yes, you
needed to be committed to the machine.
With that statement, I really, really like my Halloween. It's a 100% win over a PB Alien due to the fact:
PB is definitely not Spooky
PB Alien is definitely not a Hwy Alien
You can buy a new or HUO Halloween that is supported by an amazing company
Thank you Spooky!!!!! (my .02)

I've never seen a HW alien, nor the PB version for that matter version, but I've been following the Highway thread since day one.. My purchase of Halloween is based on my hope, and I believe it will achieve, the same level of immersion in a HUO environment as Alien . I've only played HWN in an arcade but it but it's going to be 10 times better at my house.

#6657 1 year ago

So I just unpacked and played my new Halloween CE tonight for the first time.

First the positives;
I think it is the best playing, best designed Spooky yet.

And the negative;
...with the worst audio/ sound design of ANY pinball machine made in the past 20+ years.

Upon hearing the fake Donald Pleasance voice the first time, I actually thought it was a computer generated, old Apple computer or a Speak n' Spell, boot up screen "joke".
When I realized it wasn't a joke.....
!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

It is simply atrocious.
I think this game has the worst voice acting I have heard in any form of entertainment in the past 20+ years. (And that is including bad Japanese voice overs in old video games.)
It completely and utterly destroys the entire game for me.
You have one of the best horror soundtracks of all time playing, minimal (as in lacking) sound fx and this unbelievably, bad voice actor absolutely dominating the audio saying the worst delivered call outs ever conceived in pinball history...it's just beyond belief how bad it is...

I looked in the menus for any way to turn the voices off, but can not find any way.
Please, please, please tell me there is a way to get rid of this voice, the game is unplayable to me with it on.
It makes me want to slit my own throat every time I hear it.
How on earth did Spooky think this voice is even remotely acceptable?

For this single reason alone, I definitely would not recommend the game, as it entirely kills any sort of atmosphere (and enjoyment) the rest of the assets try to create. I hated playing it by the second game.

I'm utterly shocked by this as Spooky has amazing audio in ACNC, R&M, TNA and...
...I also got an Ultraman which is 1000% better due to the audio complementing the experience, instead of completely destroying it.

If you are thinking of which game to get, there is simply no contest; Ultraman.

#6658 1 year ago
Quoted from Lpilot1:

I don’t like it. It’s too much. Wish I could turn it down some.

Please email Spooky and ask for that.
I called and spoke with AJ (for a separate issue, but I mentioned the shaker) and he said it's something which would need to be coded and it didn't seem to be high on the priority list. I asked that he pass my request along; the more people who ask the better!

#6659 1 year ago

First time I’ve heard this complaint and I have no idea what you expected on a Halloween movie based pinball machine?

Quoted from JustAnotherYoyo:

First the positives;
And the negative;
...with the worst audio/ sound design of ANY pinball machine made in the past 20+ years.
Upon hearing the fake Donald Pleasance voice the first time, I actually thought it was a computer generated, old Apple computer or a Speak n' Spell, boot up screen "joke".
!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
It is simply atrocious.
I think this game has the worst voice acting I have heard in any form of entertainment in the past 20+ years. (And that is including bad Japanese voice overs in old video games.)
You have one of the best horror soundtracks of all time playing, minimal (as in lacking) sound fx and this unbelievably, bad voice actor absolutely dominating the audio saying the worst delivered call outs ever conceived in pinball history...it's just beyond belief how bad it is...
I looked in the menus for any way to turn the voices off, but can not find any way.
Please, please, please tell me there is a way to get rid of this voice, the game is unplayable to me with it on.
For this single reason alone, I definitely would not recommend the game, as it entirely kills any sort of atmosphere (and enjoyment) the rest of the assets try to create. I hated playing it by the second game.
I'm utterly shocked by this as Spooky has amazing audio in ACNC, R&M, TNA and...
...I also got an Ultraman which is 1000% better due to the audio complementing the experience, instead of completely destroying it.

#6660 1 year ago

As a huge fan of the movie, having seen it literally dozens of times, I find the Loomis voice actor to be very close to Donald Pleasence in both sound and delivery. Definitely not perfect, but it's not like they could get the real thing, unfortunately. I will say that the volume balance needs work, since some of the callouts are overblown and cause some distortion/clipping even at lower volumes, but that will be tweaked in the future, I'm sure.

If you find them so horrible that they are ruining the experience for you, I have to wonder if there is something wrong with your machine's audio. I find my main volume needs to be turned down very far before there is a noticeable reduction in volume. I would also take a look at the settings on your amp and compare them to the factory settings. I think I saw them posted in this thread somewhere, otherwise Spooky can confirm them. It's very possible that one of the settings were bumped out of wack during assembly or shipping.

#6661 1 year ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

If you find them so horrible that they are ruining the experience for you, I have to wonder if there is something wrong with your machine's audio. I find my main volume needs to be turned down very far before there is a noticeable reduction in volume. I would also take a look at the settings on your amp and compare them to the factory settings. I think I saw them posted in this thread somewhere, otherwise Spooky can confirm them. It's very possible that one of the settings were bumped out of wack during assembly or shipping.

+1.

On my Ultraman, the amp dials were out of whack. 30 second fix, (just turned down master vol a lot and tweaked the other dials a bit), BIG improvement in sound.

Bonus, no more speaker hissing.

#6662 1 year ago

First the positives;
And the negative;
!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
It is simply atrocious.

God I've been waiting for someone to agree with me about this. I literally don't understand everyone who says this game draws you into the experience. It *could* have done that with better use of the Halloween music. But UnPleasance dominates the audio. My wife ridicules this game strictly because of the terrible voice. And if that wasn't enough, "follow the trail of blood" all the time, and the cheesy lines really feel out of place "...someone must have given him lessons." UGH! Cringe-worthy!

I also agree with you completely about Ultraman. I love the audio in that game.

This next point isn't about the audio, but your role in the story is a hot mess too, which to me eliminates being drawn in. Sometimes you're Michael, sometimes you're running from Michael. To me this is a strange (and poor) design decision. In Ultraman, you're always aiding UM. You can get drawn in because you know your role in the story.

If you were only Michael, the game could focus on killing people and trying to amass the largest body count. I could get into this. If you were Laurie or another "victim" the game would be more tense, and you would spend the whole game running from Michael or trying to sneak attack him. This would have been the smarter choice in my opinion. That would have drawn you in, and if the 2 main Halloween songs dominated the audio (instead of UnPleasance) it could have been a nail-bitter.

I'm a fan of both themes, and currently own both games. If I had to pick the theme I like better, it would be Halloween. I'm a HUGE horror movie fan. Before I bought the games, I was sure Halloween would be the one I would keep. Now it's 100% the other direction. I'll keep Halloween long enough to see it through the code development, and hope the value rises to where I don't take a bath (like people are now). But I can't imagine keeping this game. Ultraman however, I have no plans of that game leaving anytime soon.

It baffles me that there are so few of us that feel this way!

#6663 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

There is passion here and drive to put out the best, most packed best bang for the buck pins on the market.

I think CGC tops spooky on this but I think Spooky is close just because they're offering original titles compared to a remake. CGC offers top quality at the best price with amazing attention to detail.

#6664 1 year ago

I find the Loomis voice to be fine, the kid voice on the other hand…. Not that it’s off, just annoying lol. “Get back out there buddy!” This is hardly a deal breaker, though.

I actually love some of the Loomis voice lines. “HE WAS DOING SO WELL LAST NIGHT!”

#6665 1 year ago
Quoted from Geeterman1:

Not that it’s off, just annoying lol

I find it super annoying and antagonistic. I thought to myself-maybe on purpose? Spooky seems to use the sarcastic chic/dude(whatever it is) voice on several titles. Reminds me of call-outs for America's Most Haunted. Almost as classic as the Stern hillbilly voice-almost

#6666 1 year ago

On the subject of callouts:

Halloween, let’s face it is kind of a silly film that we all love. It’s ground breaking, but it is silly. When I watch the film I yell stupid shit at the tv and make fun of it and have a ball.

Naturally, in turn…

Some of the callouts in the game are silly. And I love it…I’ll be playing and my girlfriend will come into the room and I’ll trap up / look at her and just start loudly proclaiming in my worst loomis voice “Michael has returned and he is evil! I must stop the darkness Beth! There is no time for evil has come to our game room Beth. There is a shape in the shadows that must be stopped Beth. Beth!!” She doesnt laugh…but I do. Because I’m having fun. Pinball is fun. Horror movies are fun. This game is fun.

Also, the PJ Soles “JAAAAACK PAHT” is the funniest shit ever and I yell it back at the game every time I hear it…like a lunatic. It’s fucking hilarious.

Give me MORE stupid callouts!!!

#6667 1 year ago

My Halloween house mod is on it's way!-a boboli bo

STTNG bobbing.gifSTTNG bobbing.gif
#6668 1 year ago
Quoted from Mkvgti:

Had this happen twice now (60 plays in)
Right flipper becomes unresponsive after this (pictured) push-pin works itself out, disconnecting the action (I'm not sure on the terms, new to the hobby). It seems reasonably tight when I push it back in with pliers.
Thoughts on making the fix more permanent - new push-pin, loctite, etc?
[quoted image]

It's called a roll-pin, because it's made by tightly rolling up sheet metal, so it can compress slightly when it's hammered in and the tension holds it in.

If there's not enough tension so it falls out, just ask Spooky for a replacement crank assembly, easy to change out.

RM

#6669 1 year ago

If anyone cares, here is my solution for (mostly) safely propping the playfield up on UM/HWN to access the upper flipper, et al.

Pinball Universe Blade Protectors

Double-layer of pieces of spit closed cell pipe insulation

IMG_0344 (resized).JPGIMG_0344 (resized).JPGIMG_0345 (resized).JPGIMG_0345 (resized).JPGIMG_0346 (resized).JPGIMG_0346 (resized).JPGIMG_0347 (resized).JPGIMG_0347 (resized).JPG
#6670 1 year ago
Quoted from Geeterman1:

I find the Loomis voice to be fine, the kid voice on the other hand…. Not that it’s off, just annoying lol. “Get back out there buddy!” This is hardly a deal breaker, though.
I actually love some of the Loomis voice lines. “HE WAS DOING SO WELL LAST NIGHT!”

I didn’t think it was a kid (other than the “you’re not supposed to go up there” line), I thought it was a pj soles voice… the callouts are cheesy but the movie dialog was cheesy too so I don’t mind them (maybe just need more variety). I do wish the volumes for music/callouts/effect could be attenuated separately in menus.

#6671 1 year ago

I just replaced the clear drop target plastic protector. It sucked, sucked, sucked. Removing the broken one wasn’t bad, but aligning the nuts underneath the Sanitarium playfield wasn’t fun. You’ll need another arm, or at least an octopus tentacle.

I threw a few clear Lexan protectors over/under the new protector at the posts. Not sure if this will help, I guess we’ll see.

#6672 1 year ago
Quoted from mstang01:

I do wish the volumes for music/callouts/effect could be attenuated separately in menus.

Amen brother-this would be a huge deal for this game

The sound effects and spooky music are really great but the low volume levels do not allow for them to really shine. One of the background music/sound effects sounds like a Doctor Who remix and I want to crank it up but am unable to do so.

#6673 1 year ago

Is there a moderator that can fix the ugly white border that appears around the backglass for Halloween in the default Pinside images? It looks janky the way it is.

#6674 1 year ago

My wife and I played Halloween at the Pinball Palace in Brunswick, GA Pinballer31520 a month ago. I really enjoyed the layout and only played just enough games to stay excited. I really believe the game experience will only be increased 10 fold in a home environment. On a side note, the Pinball Palace was an amazing location. This was our first visit and we will return for sure. Kelley and Nick were great and made our time even more enjoyable. Our machine arrives Tuesday and I cannot wait! I purchased the house MOD from Vimtoman and in my opinion, believe it will really improve the experience of this game as it fills in a void on the playfield. Since our pin is on the way, I sent our house MOD to BallyKISS1978 to have his daughter age (paint) the house and make it more fitting. Just received it back and she hit the nail on the head. It looks perfect now and will fit into the game so much better. Anyone who purchases this MOD should really consider using Ballykiss's daughter to improve the MOD even more. The next few days will be killer until Tuesday as this was a dream theme for my wife and I!

Pic 1 (resized).jpgPic 1 (resized).jpgPic 2 (resized).jpgPic 2 (resized).jpg
#6675 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Halloween, let’s face it is kind of a silly film that we all love. It’s ground breaking, but it is silly. When I watch the film I yell stupid shit at the tv and make fun of it and have a ball.

This film is silly? Then clearly you don’t understand it. Killer Clowns from Outer Space is silly. Halloween was spectacular.

As a huge Halloween fan having built a homebrew game myself, it was groundbreaking in several dimensions and creepy as hell. And unlike movies today, what happened in Halloween and the way it played out was actually something possible in real life.

And it was the first real slasher movie showing a stalker that could not be killed, which was in itself immensely horrifying at the time. Carpenter worked with what he could in the late 70’s to make this film creepy, especially considering the limited tech and effects he had available to him at the time.

Suffice it to say he also composed the soundtrack and recorded it himself because the musician they had hired backed out. And it became one of the most iconic and recognizable soundtracks ever.

I’m no Roger Sharpe like you, and getting a high score on this game is still challenging at this point. But it makes me hit the start button at least 8 to 10 times every time I fire it up. And I haven’t played a game in a while that made me do that.

Sure the sounds get a little redundant, but it’s nothing I hate. And it may get better as code updates come.

#6676 1 year ago

I love the film and I love the game. I do understand the movie and am a bit of a horror aficionado so I cannot help but to view this film In a larger context relating to the history of horror films. There are most definitely some goofy elements to the film and that certainly does not make the movie bad or not creepy as it is most certainly is an important early American slasher film. However, The Italians invented slashers with Giallo films nearly two decade prior and they did it better. There is no doubt that Dario Argento is the master of the slasher genre. And I say that as a HUGE John Carpenter fan. I just think Carpenter did other things better. My favorites of his are They Live, The Thing, Body Bags, Escape From NY and Assault on Precinct 13.

Quoted from Colsond3:

This film is silly? Then clearly you don’t understand it. Killer Clowns from Outer Space is silly. Halloween was spectacular.
As a huge Halloween fan having built a homebrew game myself, it was groundbreaking in several dimensions and creepy as hell. And unlike movies today, what happened in Halloween and the way it played out was actually something possible in real life.
And it was the first real slasher movie showing a stalker that could not be killed, which was in itself immensely horrifying at the time. Carpenter worked with what he could in the late 70’s to make this film creepy, especially considering the limited tech and effects he had available to him at the time.
Suffice it to say he also composed the soundtrack and pleaded himself because the musician they had hired backed out. And it became one of the most iconic and recognizable soundtracks ever.
I’m no Roger Sharpe like you, and getting a high score on this game is still challenging at this point. But it makes me hit the start button at least 8 to 10 times every time I fire it up. And I haven’t played a game in a while that made me do that.
Sure the sounds get a little redundant, but it’s nothing I hate. And it may get better as code updates come.

#6677 1 year ago

The movie itself isn't silly, but some of the dialog is, especially Loomis. His character was always written as borderline crazy himself...and his dialog reflects that both in the movie and the pin. Anyone saying his lines in the machine are cringe-worthy is absolutely right...and they should be...because that IS the character.

#6678 1 year ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

The balance obviously needs to be addressed.

But, honestly, I find almost all pinball callouts to be cringeworthy with only a few rare exceptions. R&M + Elviras Games spring immediately to mind.

And, some of the all time greats are annoying as hell to me and everyone else.

I will never fire up a Funhouse, or a Road Show. Ever. Hate those f'n talking doll heads. Some people love them, though.

#6679 1 year ago
Quoted from xian222:

Coming up on a month and a half since having paid in full for my butter cab ce. Hoping I hear something soon.

Butter #563 is on the truck for delivery to my house today if that helps judge. Paid back on April 15.

#6680 1 year ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

The movie itself isn't silly, but some of the dialog is, especially Loomis. His character was always written as borderline crazy himself...and his dialog reflects that both in the movie and the pin. Anyone saying his lines in the machine are cringe-worthy is absolutely right...and they should be...because that IS the character.

Almost definitely. When you spend the greater part of two decades counseling a 6 year old kid that stabbed his sister to death and is dark to the core, it would certainly change you. Counseling psychiatric patients in general may make the doctor a little nuts also in any context.

I guess Michael could’ve done the callouts. Then you would just hear breathing the whole time you played.

#6681 1 year ago
Quoted from guitarded:

But, honestly, I find almost all pinball callouts to be cringeworthy with only a few rare exceptions. R&M + Elviras Games spring immediately to mind.

You need to play Class of 1812. Best callouts and audio ever. Including the 1812 overture sung by chickens.

#6682 1 year ago

Downvotes coming from a guy who I’m sure has never seen ‘Deep Red (75)’ an Argento film that undoubtedly influenced Carpenter to make Halloween.

That’s cute.

Quoted from Colsond3:

Almost definitely. When you spend the greater part of two decades counseling a 6 year old kid that stabbed his sister to death and is dark to the core, it would certainly change you. Counseling psychiatric patients in general may make the doctor a little nuts also in any context.
I guess Michael could’ve done the callouts. Then you would just hear breathing the whole time you played.

#6683 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Downvotes coming from a guy who I’m sure has never seen ‘Deep Red (75)’ an Argento film that undoubtedly influenced Carpenter to make Halloween.
That’s cute.

I know this isn't directed at me, but I loves me some Argento. Deep Red is awesome. I need to watch it again...been too long and I haven't watched the 4K yet.

Sounds like both of you enjoy the movie and the machine, so peace, love, and pinball guys!

2D09673D-B26B-4A7D-9FC9-D7E7A2F7529A (resized).jpeg2D09673D-B26B-4A7D-9FC9-D7E7A2F7529A (resized).jpeg
#6684 1 year ago

I spy ‘Bird with the crystal plumage’ another slept on slasher classic. You sir have good taste.

Quoted from Jediturtle:

I know this isn't directed at me, but I loves me some Argento. Deep Red is awesome. I need to watch it again...been too long and I haven't watched the 4K yet.
Sounds like both of you enjoy the movie and the machine, so peace, love, and pinball guys! [quoted image]

#6685 1 year ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Sounds like both of you enjoy the movie and the machine, so peace, love, and pinball guys! [quoted image]

Ha, amen. We’re all pinball and movie nerds here.

Deep Red is good, not my favorite. To me, the only relevant comparison to Halloween is style. It’s super gory, Halloween isn’t. It’s dreamy (like Suspiria), whereas Halloween is pretty straightforward.

On record, John Carpenter said Psycho was his biggest influence, but who knows what else he saw and used?

Now I feel like watching some Italian zombie movies!

#6686 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

That’s cute.

So you downvoted me first there Mr. (self-proclaimed) Aficionado. Then you whine when someone else downvotes you?

And “I’m sure has never seen”? How do you know what movies I’ve seen?

I don’t need the back-and-forth banter with you though. Let’s keep this thread about the game we all enjoy. At least most of us enjoy.

#6687 1 year ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

God I've been waiting for someone to agree with me about this. I literally don't understand everyone who says this game draws you into the experience. It *could* have done that with better use of the Halloween music. But UnPleasance dominates the audio. My wife ridicules this game strictly because of the terrible voice. And if that wasn't enough, "follow the trail of blood" all the time, and the cheesy lines really feel out of place "...someone must have given him lessons." UGH! Cringe-worthy!
I also agree with you completely about Ultraman. I love the audio in that game.
This next point isn't about the audio, but your role in the story is a hot mess too, which to me eliminates being drawn in. Sometimes you're Michael, sometimes you're running from Michael. To me this is a strange (and poor) design decision. In Ultraman, you're always aiding UM. You can get drawn in because you know your role in the story.
If you were only Michael, the game could focus on killing people and trying to amass the largest body count. I could get into this. If you were Laurie or another "victim" the game would be more tense, and you would spend the whole game running from Michael or trying to sneak attack him. This would have been the smarter choice in my opinion. That would have drawn you in, and if the 2 main Halloween songs dominated the audio (instead of UnPleasance) it could have been a nail-bitter.
I'm a fan of both themes, and currently own both games. If I had to pick the theme I like better, it would be Halloween. I'm a HUGE horror movie fan. Before I bought the games, I was sure Halloween would be the one I would keep. Now it's 100% the other direction. I'll keep Halloween long enough to see it through the code development, and hope the value rises to where I don't take a bath (like people are now). But I can't imagine keeping this game. Ultraman however, I have no plans of that game leaving anytime soon.
It baffles me that there are so few of us that feel this way!

Completely agree within everything you are saying...
I actually ordered Ultraman way back when it was first announced because, while I thematically prefer Halloween, I was not convinced Spooky would be able to do the movie justice. To try "Horror" with pinball is nearly impossible and I commend Spooky for trying to give it a shot.
I recently decided to buy Halloween after playing the "Aliens" table on Pinball FX3.
If you want to experience the best "Horror" pinball experience, I suggest giving it a shot.
(Although, it is virtual pin, everything that makes it exceptional could be translated to a real pin. And yes, it is more Sci-fi than horror, but it has an element of suspense that I have yet to experience on any other pin.)

Horror is an extremely difficult genre to successfully translate into any "game" format.
Horror story telling almost HAS to be linear in delivery because every time an element in horror storytelling is repeated it diminishes the experience, (because you know what will happen). This is a huge disadvantage when trying to develop a horror movie into a pinball where elements are continuously repeated.
It means those elements MUST BE FLAWLESS IN DELIVERY to maximize the impact.

Horror (or fear) is also a very basic emotional/ instinctual response, so if an element is conveyed without any emotional attachment (in the case of the "UnPleaseance" voice) it completely kills the perception of fear. If you watch the Halloween films, you will notice that, regardless of the words he is saying, there is almost always a "desperation" in Donald Pleasence's voice. He is always trying to convince (or save) people but is unfortunately always one step behind. There is absolutely no "desperation" or "fear" in the "UnPleaseance" voice in the pinball machine, which translates to the player's subconsciousness that there is no element of fear present. Roger Ebert said this of the film; "a visceral experience—we aren't seeing the movie, we're having it happen to us".

Because the dominant audio element in the game is the "UnPleaseance" voice, it is constantly reminding the player that there is nothing to fear, even though the music, art and video display are doing everything possible to convey the opposite. This critical flaw in the game completely destroys the entire experience, because the experience is "supposed" to be fear. Although I guess one could argue that it is a pinball, so it is just supposed to be fun...but then why use a Horror movie as the subject matter?

In terms of subject matter, Halloween is a 100% serious horror film. There are no one liners, no comedic relief elements, nothing "unbelievable" (monsters, aliens etc.), nothing purposely cheesy. Any "bad" elements are due to budget, acting ability, amateur filmmaking skills etc. However, there was NEVER any intention other than to make a very serious horror film. And it did that exceptionally well for the time. I could be wrong, but I believe it was the most successful independent (and most profitable) film made at the time. I really think Spooky set out to translate that seriousness into a pinball machine and they ALMOST did it.

I implore Spooky to release an alternative code update that removes the "UnPleaseance", (or all) voices. It should take hardly any work to remove the audio. Or give the players the option to turn them off. Let players try it with just the sounds and music. It is a quiet film, why not make it a quiet game? This game deserves to be the best that it can be.

As a former Horror movie buff that has seen literally thousands of 60's-90's horror films and as a former professional audio engineer, sound designer and musician of 14 years, this is a perfect case for; "Less is more".

#6688 1 year ago

I actually ordered Ultraman way back when it was first announced because, while I thematically prefer Halloween, I was not convinced Spooky would be able to do the movie justice. To try "Horror" with pinball is nearly impossible and I commend Spooky for trying to give it a shot.
I recently decided to buy Halloween after playing the "Aliens" table on Pinball FX3.
If you want to experience the best "Horror" pinball experience, I suggest giving it a shot.
(Although, it is virtual pin, everything that makes it exceptional could be translated to a real pin. And yes, it is more Sci-fi than horror, but it has an element of suspense that I have yet to experience on any other pin.)
Horror is an extremely difficult genre to successfully translate into any "game" format.
Horror story telling almost HAS to be linear in delivery because every time an element in horror storytelling is repeated it diminishes the experience, (because you know what will happen). This is a huge disadvantage when trying to develop a horror movie into a pinball where elements are continuously repeated.
Horror (or fear) is also a very basic emotional/ instinctual response, so if an element is conveyed without any emotional attachment (in the case of the "UnPleaseance" voice) it completely kills the perception of fear. If you watch the Halloween films, you will notice that, regardless of the words he is saying, there is almost always a "desperation" in Donald Pleasence's voice. He is always trying to convince (or save) people but is unfortunately always one step behind. There is absolutely no "desperation" or "fear" in the "UnPleaseance" voice in the pinball machine, which translates to the player's subconsciousness that there is no element of fear present. Roger Ebert said this of the film; "a visceral experience—we aren't seeing the movie, we're having it happen to us.
Because the dominant audio element in the game is the "UnPleaseance" voice, it is constantly reminding the player that there is nothing to fear, even though the music, art and video display are doing everything possible to convey the opposite. This critical flaw in the game completely destroys the entire experience, because the experience is "supposed" to be fear. Although I guess one could argue that it is a pinball, so it is just supposed to be fun...but then why use a Horror movie as the subject matter?
In terms of subject matter, Halloween is a 100% serious horror film. There are no one liners, no comedic relief elements, nothing "unbelievable" (monsters, aliens etc.), nothing purposely cheesy. Any "bad" elements are due to budget, acting ability, amateur filmmaking skills etc. However, there was NEVER any intention other than to make a very serious horror film. And it did that exceptionally well for the time. I could be wrong, but I believe it was the most successful independent (and most profitable) film made at the time. I really think Spooky set out to translate that seriousness into a pinball machine and they ALMOST did it.
I implore Spooky to release an alternative code update that removes the "UnPleaseance", (or all) voices. It should take hardly any work to remove the audio. Or give the players the option to turn them off. Let players try it with just the sounds and music. It is a quiet film, why not make it a quiet game? This game deserves to be the best that it can be.
As a former Horror movie buff that has seen literally thousands of 60's-90's horror films and as a former professional audio engineer, sound designer and musician of 14 years, this is a perfect case for; "Less is more".

This post is interesting to me as I feel like everyone has been screaming for callouts from day one and now you are requesting the exact opposite to the extreme. I like the pleasance callouts and trust that the amounts and timing on these will flesh out in the end by the people who have pulled more plunger on HWN than everyone here combined. If anyone is tired of any aspects on this game, I think it would be them at this point. On a related note, I have been requesting lots of simple Michael breathing, which did make it into the game for just a few seconds, but should be more IMO, even if randomly.

I wouldn't mind trying a non call out menu option, but seems like it would be rather bland.

#6689 1 year ago

I just know.

Quoted from Colsond3:

So you downvoted me first there Mr. (self-proclaimed) Aficionado. Then you whine when someone else downvotes you?
I don’t need the back-and-forth banter with you though. Let’s keep this thread about the game we all enjoy. At least most of us enjoy.

#6690 1 year ago

Here’s something that’s unbelievable (and silly) about Halloween. How does Michael know how to drive a car if he’s been in an asylum since he was 6 years old?

Horror (or fear) is also a very basic emotional/ instinctual response, so if an element is conveyed without any emotional attachment (in the case of the "UnPleaseance" voice) it completely kills the perception of fear. If you watch the Halloween films, you will notice that, regardless of the words he is saying, there is almost always a "desperation" in Donald Pleasence's voice. He is always trying to convince (or save) people but is unfortunately always one step behind. There is absolutely no "desperation" or "fear" in the "UnPleaseance" voice in the pinball machine, which translates to the player's subconsciousness that there is no element of fear present. Roger Ebert said this of the film; "a visceral experience—we aren't seeing the movie, we're having it happen to us".

#6691 1 year ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

This post is interesting to me as I feel like everyone has been screaming for callouts from day one and now you are requesting the exact opposite to the extreme. I like the pleasance callouts and trust that the amounts and timing on these will flesh out in the end by the people who have pulled more plunger on HWN than everyone here combined. If anyone is tired of any aspects on this game, I think it would be them at this point. On a related note, I have been requesting lots of simple Michael breathing, which did make it into the game for just a few seconds, but should be more IMO, even if randomly. I wouldn't mind trying a non call out menu option, but seems like it would be rather bland.

For me, pinball consists of 3 elements; the gameplay, the audio, the visuals. Normally I love call outs and I would love to have great ones in the game. However, I would rather have no callouts than bad ones that detract from the experience. Spooky made a mistake with these call outs. That's alright, mistakes happen and this is a creative process/ product. I see no harm in giving their customers the option to remove the callouts. Those that prefer them, can keep them, those that do not, can enjoy the game without them. Alternatively, Spooky could replace the callouts with additional sound fx, but that would require more work.

I wonder it there is a way I can install an older version of the code without the callouts...

#6692 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Here’s something that’s unbelievable (and silly) about Halloween. How does Michael know how to drive a car if he’s been in an asylum since he was 6 years old?

He learned through watching TV and movies!

#6693 1 year ago
Quoted from ECanup122:

My wife and I played Halloween at the Pinball Palace in Brunswick, GA Pinballer31520 a month ago. I really enjoyed the layout and only played just enough games to stay excited. I really believe the game experience will only be increased 10 fold in a home environment. On a side note, the Pinball Palace was an amazing location. This was our first visit and we will return for sure. Kelley and Nick were great and made our time even more enjoyable. Our machine arrives Tuesday and I cannot wait! I purchased the house MOD from Vimtoman and in my opinion, believe it will really improve the experience of this game as it fills in a void on the playfield. Since our pin is on the way, I sent our house MOD to BallyKISS1978 to have his daughter age (paint) the house and make it more fitting. Just received it back and she hit the nail on the head. It looks perfect now and will fit into the game so much better. Anyone who purchases this MOD should really consider using Ballykiss's daughter to improve the MOD even more. The next few days will be killer until Tuesday as this was a dream theme for my wife and I!
[quoted image][quoted image]

So glad your happy with the paint job on your house. I am so proud of her. She definitely does great work and really improved the house. Really appreciate your kind words. My daughter will be very happy to hear you liked it.

#6694 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

For most people, driving a car or figuring out how to is relatively quite simple. I think it took me all of two minutes to learn how to drive…when I was 15.

#6695 1 year ago

And you taught yourself with no help? That’s against the law. I’m calling the police. They’re gonna take your license away.

Quoted from Colsond3:

For most people, driving a car or figuring out how to is relatively quite simple. I think it took me all of two minutes to learn how to drive…when I was 15.

#6696 1 year ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Don't waste your time. He attacks and downvotes anyone that challenges his narrative or says anything critical of HWN/UM. It's obnoxious enough that it's actualy making me dislike this game more.

#6697 1 year ago

See what I did there haha

Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Don't waste your time. He attacks and downvotes anyone that challenges his narrative or says anything critical of HWN/UM. It's obnoxious enough that it's actualy making me dislike this game more.

#6698 1 year ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

So someone’s comments is making you dislike the game more???? Ok

#6699 1 year ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

So someone’s comments is making you dislike the game more???? Ok

In a way, yes. Because for me part of the fun of the new game experience is talking about the game with other enthusiasts on pinside.

#6700 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Damn you.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 16,870 posts in this topic. You are on page 134 of 338.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/halloween-owners-threadhes-coming-home/page/134?hl=mpdpvdpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.