IMG_4867 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4865 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0488 (resized).jpg
IMG_0487 (resized).jpg
IMG_0482 (resized).jpg
IMG_0486 (resized).jpg
IMG_0484 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

15 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 16,870 posts in this topic. You are on page 121 of 338.
#6001 1 year ago
Quoted from WombatPinball:

SpookyLuke Maybe you can confirm? If it was only for Ultraman, maybe I misread? I thought that’s when we were seeing some for Halloween as well.

The studio did ultraman first so ultraman stuff will be implemented first followed by Halloween later as they complete it!

#6002 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

The modes are interesting but the sanitarium & house battles are so far very rinse & repeat.

I have some ideas how to potentially make them more in depth, but stacking capabilities would be a bit more limited when being in one of those modes. Does anybody know if there is a playfield multiplier installed in the current code?

#6003 1 year ago

Some nice suggestions here SpookyLuke

Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Can we get some more functionality out of the Sanitarium Playfield? It would REALLY help the game to add some clever features here since the ball ends up there so much. How about:
- Drop target thru shot for mode add time
- 100 standup target hits for extra ball
- Bonus X mode scoring for backhand reverse shots out of the Sanitarium. Call it “escape x” or something cool.
- progressive mystery awards for all target hits. 20 (1x playfield) 40 (2 x playfield) 60 (2 blood drops) 80 (award all shots in mode) 100 (extra ball)
- Hedge add a ball for successfully dropping target and shooting through during multi.
SpookyDJ we gonna see that “midnight stabness” mode we talked about? Haha

#6004 1 year ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Some nice suggestions here SpookyLuke

For sure! Bug and other Luke have a bunch of cool stuff written for it as well!

#6005 1 year ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

For sure! Bug and other Luke have a bunch of cool stuff written for it as well!

Can’t wait to see what else is in store!!!

#6006 1 year ago

Can’t wait to see what else is in store!!!

Hoping for more reasons to shoot the Judith Meyers and a different callout there.

#6007 1 year ago

What about copying something like METs multiball? Hit all the blood stand ups, then park a ball for a bit and add a timed +2x playfield. Seems like a ball can be parked in Judith Meyers or balcony.

Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Why give a rats ass what a tourny player wants? Tourny players scour the rules, find the best strategy - which might include absurd loopholes - and then spam the same shots over and over again to amass points. Input on game quality and game enjoyment from that perspective isn’t needed or welcome.
Halloween is so refreshing. It’s not the rinse and repeat comic book “battles” that so many games are reduced to nowadays.

This is silly. Tournament players understand rules of the game better than anyone else. Making a well balanced game should be the desire of everyone because it means everything in the game is worth engaging with.

Think about the best rules in pinball. Who wrote and designed them? Competitive players like Lyman Sheats, Keith Elwin, Keith Johnson, Bowen Kerins, etc

#6008 1 year ago

Anyone have some advice on how to adjust the pumpkin scoop properly?
I've tried bending, deadening foam, etc.

It's impossible to hit from either flipper.
Only way in is from the upper playfield.

#6009 1 year ago

Why give a rats ass what a tourny player wants?

Thoughtful and interesting rules that can be layered for exciting scoring opportunities aren't just for tournament players.

There's reasons why Godzilla is sold out til 2023 while Ultraman can be bought now for significant discount, and most of those reasons involve the rules and scoring.

and then spam the same shots over and over again to amass points.

Good games like GZ, Maiden, TWD, etc are exactly the opposite of that, instead they offer multuple ways to skillfully score big.

I haven't had a chance to load 1.07 yet but it sounds like a step in the right direction. Up til now, HWN has been very wood-choppy. Start the mode, make the shots, get the points, with basically no opportunities to blow any scoring up. Each mode was worth ~5M give or take 30%. Hedge and Sanitarium were also flat, each worth a few million per SJ cycle with no chance to increase values on anything. The only multiplier in the game is a single 2x, locked up in the shop (whereas Maiden has 2, and 3x available pretty much anytime). No shot multipliers or anything else.

It sounds like the new hurryup will be something akin to soul shards or trailer trash, which definitely helps mode scoring, but it'd be nice to have modes like Fear of the Dark where skillful shooting can mean huge points (upper loop start, right ramp double, get both spinners going, etc).

This game has the artwork, theme and sound it needs in spades. It just needs good, compelling code now. Looking forward to trying 1.07.

#6010 1 year ago
Quoted from Jakers:

Looks pretty similar.
[quoted image][quoted image]

OK, my 2 lower outlane foam padding pieces are still there, so it isn't from there, but good idea!

SpookyBug , SpookyLuke are there other places that the small foam pad strips should be? I've got a random one I found in the machine, but I can't figure out where it came from.

#6011 1 year ago
Quoted from metallik:

Good games like GZ, Maiden, TWD, etc are exactly the opposite of that, instead they offer multuple ways to skillfully score big.
I haven't had a chance to load 1.07 yet but it sounds like a step in the right direction. Up til now, HWN has been very wood-choppy. Start the mode, make the shots, get the points, with basically no opportunities to blow any scoring up. Each mode was worth ~5M give or take 30%. Hedge and Sanitarium were also flat, each worth a few million per SJ cycle with no chance to increase values on anything. The only multiplier in the game is a single 2x, locked up in the shop (whereas Maiden has 2, and 3x available pretty much anytime). No shot multipliers or anything else.
It sounds like the new hurryup will be something akin to soul shards or trailer trash, which definitely helps mode scoring, but it'd be nice to have modes like Fear of the Dark where skillful shooting can mean huge points (upper loop start, right ramp double, get both spinners going, etc).
This game has the artwork, theme and sound it needs in spades. It just needs good, compelling code now. Looking forward to trying 1.07.

A lot of good quality points in here. One of my fav things about TWD is the multiple ways to attack it and blow it up! And yes, the new hurry up does resemble that of a soul shard or trailer trash. It definitely adds some flair. The randomness of the hurry up amongst one of the three hedge Michael’s adds for spontaneity and a more tense and suspenseful hurry up. I would absolutely like to see playfield multipliers worked into the code as well! Depth of scoring is important. I like things when they are uncapped, especially not easily exploitable.

#6012 1 year ago
Quoted from movingpictures:

Yep, I noticed that when playing at your location. Hope you find a fix. (*and set the game to 1 token )

#6013 1 year ago

I enjoyed the short lived code update when Sanitarium mode was running, the upper playfield diverter would send the ball to the right so it would fall back down into the Sanitarium. I think it confused too many people since the upper playfield flipper didn't work. Wish that was implemented back in.
Enjoying the new code. Good job guys!

#6014 1 year ago

Run your finger over the mylar protector on the pumpkin scoop. Mine was torn and the metal was sticking up on the scoop. Used some of the pre-cut mylar in the coinbox and it's back to normal now.

#6015 1 year ago
Quoted from Bagdad:

Yep, I noticed that when playing at your location. Hope you find a fix. (*and set the game to 1 token )

Sure, once the game is paid off in 2026

#6016 1 year ago
Quoted from SDVmnt:

Run your finger over the mylar protector on the pumpkin scoop. Mine was torn and the metal was sticking up on the scoop. Used some of the pre-cut mylar in the coinbox and it's back to normal now.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I just tried that and no dice unfortunately

#6017 1 year ago

Someone earlier in this thread has replaced the scoop hood to great success. I guess the problem was that the ball was being rejected instead of being forced down into the hole on impact. Think they used an older Bally style hood. Search the thread I’m sure you’ll find it.

#6018 1 year ago

Still having the hardest time updating using a Mac. I've formatted the Usb using a windows computer and still nothing.

#6019 1 year ago

Okay guys I know I’m doing something dumb but every time I try and install the update I get this screen. Instead of updating the code it is downloading a log on the usb. What on Earth am I doing wrong? Thanks in Advance

DF0B0EB4-7EE5-417E-B523-B3B489BA997B (resized).jpegDF0B0EB4-7EE5-417E-B523-B3B489BA997B (resized).jpeg
#6020 1 year ago
Quoted from SLRage:

Okay guys I know I’m doing something dumb but every time I try and install the update I get this screen. Instead of updating the code it is downloading a log on the usb. What on Earth am I doing wrong? Thanks in Advance
[quoted image]

Turn off the game and remove the usb drive. It should boot to the new code the next time you turn it on.

#6021 1 year ago

I tried that several times and it stays on 106b.

Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Turn off the game and remove the usb drive. It should boot to the new code the next time you turn it on.

#6022 1 year ago

Anyone else tilted it (total tilt…not warning). I’m loving the new code, but I tilted it and had to power cycle to get out of the end screen…I got 10 points for tilting it.

#6023 1 year ago
Quoted from SLRage:

With just the 1 file on drive it should say "Finished updating - restart." The only thing I've seen about logs is after updating it creates a log file on the thumbdrive. Sure you had the correct update file? Wouldn;t it be nive if they were numbered?

#6024 1 year ago

584 scheduled for delivery on Thursday. Next post will be a pic of it added to my Spooky row.

#6025 1 year ago
Quoted from SLRage:

I tried that several times and it stays on 106b.

Is this the same USB drive you used to get to 1.06b? Windows - correct? If so, format the usb drive and re-download the new code. Don’t just delete the old file.

#6026 1 year ago

The fact that there are still people flipping preorder spots for these for less than 50% off could be the best deals on pinside right now…. Looking at the market and seeing a tspp for 9k … also a great game no offense … and a 2k preorder spot for 700… total cost 7700+ shipping… absolute steals in this market…can’t wait until people catch on that this is a huge sleeper hit…

#6027 1 year ago
Quoted from metallik:

Thoughtful and interesting rules that can be layered for exciting scoring opportunities aren't just for tournament players.

Have you ever seen those YouTube videos where they describe the same scientific concept at five different levels of complexity? That's kind of how we want to incorporate rules into a pinball machine. We want rules layered so that there is something enjoyable for your casual players, hobbyists, and tournament players.

#6028 1 year ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Have you ever seen those YouTube videos where they describe the same scientific concept at five different levels of complexity? That's kind of how we want to incorporate rules into a pinball machine. We want rules layered so that there is something enjoyable for your casual players, hobbyists, and tournament players.

This is exactly the right approach, and precisely why games like Iron Maiden are so good. I really don't know how they did it on that machine, maybe it was pure accident (probably not) but not only is it just fun to randomly flip for a beginner - it really does have code that can be enjoyed by all skill levels.

If you can successfully apply the same principal here, you've really got a long term winner on your hands.

#6029 1 year ago

Thanks so much for the help guys! Ends up the file name had a number in it. Once removed, all good! The new Wizard mode is Intense!

Can’t believe they left the monkey sound in the game though

Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Is this the same USB drive you used to get to 1.06b? Windows - correct? If so, format the usb drive and re-download the new code. Don’t just delete the old file.

#6030 1 year ago

I picked up a CE spot for $1000 a couple weeks ago and was thrilled to do so. Best part to me is it's right at the end of the CE run so the kinks should be worked out and the software should be developed.

Quoted from silen7ce:

The fact that there are still people flipping preorder spots for these for less than 50% off could be the best deals on pinside right now…. Looking at the market and seeing a tspp for 9k … also a great game no offense … and a 2k preorder spot for 700… total cost 7700+ shipping… absolute steals in this market…can’t wait until people catch on that this is a huge sleeper hit…

#6031 1 year ago

The new “Boogeyman” is fantastic. I just played it to see if I could do it. It was incredible. Well done Spooky!

#6032 1 year ago

We all like what we like! Not everyone will agree and that’s ok!

I agree this pin is more geared for HUO, and the lights down low. Can't wait for mine, 920!

#6033 1 year ago

Let others build tournament pins. I must admit…the more the pin matures, the more this is a masterpiece.
Pinball has matured from routers (which is used to a certain point), to tournament players (those can be really fun pins…but have a specific aim), to home use (the next level). This is the next level. Will it ever sell 15000 units…nope….and was never slated to. It’s unfair to compare it to a tournament pin. It’s like comparing a Jaguar to a Lamborghini…both high end cars, but for different reasons…none better than the other over all.

Thus, the top 100 is obsolete. Need more than SS and EM…just MHO.

#6034 1 year ago
Quoted from silen7ce:

I think they will be sorry. We love Halloween. Many thought it would be an easy flip since R&M is going for big money. You can’t judge any pin on early code. Look at Stranger Things.

#6035 1 year ago

This was a mode I came up with in my spare time. I felt something of this nature could potentially be awesome, especially for a skilled player. Would love to hear people’s feedback about it though!

512AB8A0-805F-45A1-92BD-C52780367068 (resized).png512AB8A0-805F-45A1-92BD-C52780367068 (resized).png
#6036 1 year ago

I still don’t get why people are bashing on tournament players as if top tournament players aren’t the best rule designers in the industry.

They have a better understanding of what makes a game long term engaging or a boring slog more than anyone else. They study all games and know what makes a game a snooze or not. Just because they’re willing to exploit bad rules in a competition doesn’t mean they don’t know what they’re talking about when it comes to an engaging rule set. They have the deepest understanding of games that offer multiple paths to a rewarding experience, which is more than just showing some random video/audio clips in a game for the hundredth time. That’s a critical part, but so is the rush of a butt load of points.

And don’t get me wrong, there are some interesting ideas in the game. It just needs more polish and more things to utilize what the playfield has to offer.

But I’ve said my peace. Hope the best for Ultraman as I really want to like it because it does nail the quirky layout that I look for. (As an aside I’m posting in this thread because it’s the same basic game and this thread is more active)

#6037 1 year ago

New code - tilted ball 3 & stuck on bonus screen no game end, all balls in trough
Hard reboot needed

20220518_001654.jpg20220518_001654.jpg

Happened again...but ibsee you caught it

#6038 1 year ago

I just updated the new code and I must say, it’s a move in the right direction.

Here are a few suggestions as well:

I would like the ability to play co-op mode, I think this game would be a blast to take on Michael with friends.

Also, it would be nice to switch between active modes by pressing the start button which would display active modes at will. (Think Batman 66).

BTW CE 504 came in last week. I wanted to get some plays in before I offered my opinion. I got roughly 70 plays in so far.

I can honestly say that this is a great game with a lot of potentials. This game done correctly can be the next sleeper hit and be in the same vein as games such as Walking Dead, Stranger Things, Metallica, and Deadpool (Games which weren’t initially held in high regard by some but ended up being awesome).

Lastly, I do not regret buying this game at all. It’s an awesome addition to the collection and I really like it. (Make me smile Spooky, add the Co-op).

19C36D65-E2DF-47D8-BF06-5D841DC8DE3C (resized).jpeg19C36D65-E2DF-47D8-BF06-5D841DC8DE3C (resized).jpeg
#6039 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

New code - tilted ball 3 & stuck on bonus screen no game end, all balls in trough
Hard reboot needed
[quoted image]

We caught this as well today will get it patched up ASAP.

#6040 1 year ago
Quoted from McDoom:

I just updated the new code and I must say, it’s a move in the right direction.
Here are a few suggestions as well:
I would like the ability to play co-op mode, I think this game would be a blast to take on Michael with friends.
Also, it would be nice to switch between active modes by pressing the start button which would display active modes at will. (Think Batman 66).
BTW CE 504 came in last week. I wanted to get some plays in before I offered my opinion. I got roughly 70 plays in so far.
I can honestly say that this is a great game with a lot of potentials. This game done correctly can be the next sleeper hit and be in the same vein as games such as Walking Dead, Stranger Things, Metallica, and Deadpool (Games which weren’t initially held in high regard by some but ended up being awesome).
Lastly, I do not regret buying this game at all. It’s an awesome addition to the collection and I really like it. (Make me smile Spooky, add the Co-op).[quoted image]

Appreciate the support! Co-op request noted.

#6041 1 year ago

Designing the rules for a game is a balanced dance for sure. Tournament players definitely know their stuff; they know what makes pinball fun for pinball enthusiasts. And while in reality, tournament players make up a very small percentage of the customer base, the opinions/reviews of tournament players can greatly influence the opinions of the larger customer base. Furthermore, probably half of our customers are operators; they want machines that attract the general public, who probably frankly don't care as much about the fine details; they just want to see really fun and cool stuff happen under the glass.

So when designing the rules, we have to look at what are the really technical risk/reward aspects that tournament players can dig their teeth into. What are some distinct, different strategic pathways we can create. At the same time, on top of the technical gameplay, it has to be generally fun to shoot; we need to structure the flow of rules/gameplay to utilize all of the playfield, including flow shots, toys, stop-and-shoot, upper playfields, (lower playfields??), etc, so whether you care about the technical rules or not, you're still progressing, seeing fun new content, making satisfying advancements in your score, etc. And another level up, we have to have those 'intuitive' rules that allow the average barcade walk-up to shoot for the big flashing thing, and be rewarded with a really kickass lightshow/multiball/soundscape that's so damn fun, it's worth dropping more quarters to experience it again.

It really is like making three different rulesets, with different objectives, but they still have to tie into each other and mesh well, meaning, we can't have all the intricate details tournament players need to know, overwhelming the casual players who just want to see cool stuff happen. And we can't let the cool easy stuff have such a huge impact on score that it's the only thing tournament players want to shoot for anyway. It's 3D chess.

#6042 1 year ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

Appreciate the support! Co-op request noted.

Aw jeez... Am I going to have to go back and add a co-op mode to the next game?

200.gif200.gif
#6043 1 year ago
Quoted from spooky_dj:

Designing the rules for a game is a balanced dance for sure. Tournament players definitely know their stuff; they know what makes pinball fun for pinball enthusiasts. And while in reality, tournament players make up a very small percentage of the customer base, the opinions/reviews of tournament players can greatly influence the opinions of the larger customer base. Furthermore, probably half of our customers are operators; they want machines that attract the general public, who probably frankly don't care as much about the fine details; they just want to see really fun and cool stuff happen under the glass.
So when designing the rules, we have to look at what are the really technical risk/reward aspects that tournament players can dig their teeth into. What are some distinct, different strategic pathways we can create. At the same time, on top of the technical gameplay, it has to be generally fun to shoot; we need to structure the flow of rules/gameplay to utilize all of the playfield, including flow shots, toys, stop-and-shoot, upper playfields, (lower playfields??), etc, so whether you care about the technical rules or not, you're still progressing, seeing fun new content, making satisfying advancements in your score, etc. And another level up, we have to have those 'intuitive' rules that allow the average barcade walk-up to shoot for the big flashing thing, and be rewarded with a really kickass lightshow/multiball/soundscape that's so damn fun, it's worth dropping more quarters to experience it again.
It really is like making three different rulesets, with different objectives, but they still have to tie into each other and mesh well.

I respect all this.

I don’t want to make it sound like it’s an easy line to walk. I just have some issue with some who want to discount the needs of some owners/players, especially when home ownership is a bigger part of the pie than ever before.

I think everyone can agree it’s a unique layout with a lot of potential that we all think is capable of providing rewarding experiences to users of all levels and types.

I don’t envy any designer in today’s market of multiple masters. We’re a fickle bunch to say the least.

#6044 1 year ago
Quoted from spooky_dj:

It really is like making three different rulesets, with different objectives, but they still have to tie into each other and mesh well, meaning, we can't have all the intricate details tournament players need to know, overwhelming the casual players who just want to see cool stuff happen. And we can't let the cool easy stuff have such a huge impact on score that it's the only thing tournament players want to shoot for anyway. It's 3D chess.

These nuances of coding a game make a MASSIVE difference. I currently own:

Stern:
Iron Maiden
Ghostbusters
Deadpool
Star Trek
XMen

Spooky:
Rick and Morty
Alice Coooper

Pinball Bros:
Alien

Now I love all those machines let's just get that out of the way.. BUT I would say that by an absolute mile, ACNC has the best use of the playfield during modes out of all of those machines and it makes it so much fun. The way the whole playfield is used should be a lesson on how to make modes more engaging. Each one is so unique, from the sound, to the lightshow, to the way shots are lit and identified... The Pit Creature mode, where you have to hide the ball, still totally blows me away! The coding to track when the ball is hidden (not just in the scoops and subways, but even in the secret passage shot, or while under the mini playfield during the orbits) is so well done. Also Igor mode, where you have to find him, and can look at which direction he runs on the screen, or look at the "eyes" on the playfield to indicate the direction you need to look - amazing! Nothing else like it - that I've played anyway...

#6045 1 year ago
Quoted from SpookyBug:

Hey everybody! 1.07 is live for both games. I got a tutorial on youtube for everyone who wants to see.
The primary focus of this update was the wizard mode. So we decided to put an option in the game menu to select the wizard mode so every can play it! Just go to standard settings - wizard play - boogeyman. And you'll be playing it on the very next game you start! Enjoy.

Is there a plan to add an auto plunge and a hold start to reset game feature to this game for those who have it on location?

#6046 1 year ago

Done plenty of updates so not sure why I'm confused lol. Is the file with the .pkg extension what I'm using or does that still need to be extracted? If so what are you using to extract that .pkg file
Thanks

#6047 1 year ago
Quoted from blastbeat:

Done plenty of updates so not sure why I'm confused lol. Is the file with the .pkg extension what I'm using or does that still need to be extracted? If so what are you using to extract that .pkg file
Thanks

The file you downloaded is ready to go, nothing to extract. Make sure the file name of the .pkg file remains the same once placed on the USB, when you go to hit 'eject' on your USB stick.

#6048 1 year ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

The file you downloaded is ready to go, nothing to extract. Make sure the file name of the .pkg file remains the same once placed on the USB, when you go to hit 'eject' on your USB stick.

I had a "few" beers before downloading the file and I am certain that didn't help confuse me lol. Thanks I appreciate it!

#6049 1 year ago

Things were great for a while and now ball stuck here again . Tried readjusting screws many times any other ideas ? I don’t want to damage the upper playfield by keeping poking holes . Maybe a piece of metal in between the gap to keep it separated ?

B34B4BAA-6325-451A-AA28-85FB60E42BB3 (resized).jpegB34B4BAA-6325-451A-AA28-85FB60E42BB3 (resized).jpeg
#6050 1 year ago
Quoted from Newtothis:

Is there a plan to add an auto plunge and a hold start to reset game feature to this game for those who have it on location?

Fawzma is sitting across the table from me coding the autoplunge in right now! We'll likely throw a 1.07A up in the near future here with a couple fixes and this feature as well. As far as the game restart at the start button goes, this was implemented in a previous code update so it should be there for you. At the start of a new ball hold the start button for about 5 to 7 seconds and it'll reset to ball 1. In the patch we do, we will put this as an option in the menu.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Charlotte, NC
There are 16,870 posts in this topic. You are on page 121 of 338.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/halloween-owners-threadhes-coming-home/page/121 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.