(Topic ID: 297397)

Halloween and Ultraman Modders Come on in!

By Roostking

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220412_165416 (resized).jpg
    fc6bbdd5c2097607eea8e04166ff1177d9f6be371b3bf8f7485114a521b41453 (resized).jpg
    Car_02 (resized).jpg
    LED_Cover_04 (resized).jpg
    LED_Cover_01 (resized).jpg
    LED_Cover_02 (resized).jpg
    LED_Cover_03 (resized).jpg
    DB3C4045-ED07-4D83-BC14-EBAFEFE98D1A (resized).jpeg
    F9FDBD2E-0397-4E1D-A0C1-9BDD91AF7720.jpeg
    7A650812-6693-4401-A3D8-FC0897A3676A (resized).jpeg
    D62D3B1A-3171-41FA-AC40-14618AA8A8CD (resized).png
    FBA603F5-D695-494D-A283-064D28D89489 (resized).jpeg
    2983DBE6-000C-4124-AB10-A1BDB5A21363 (resized).png
    4B57DF6A-6D0E-4FEC-92D1-C9DDAF32A548 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider medisinyl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

The purpose of this thread is to discuss potential mods for both Halloween and Ultraman. This is NOT a "Well this is what SPOOKY should have done from the factory!" thread.
    I am not very creative, but one mod I would like to see would be for the bushes in Halloween to have a "top", so I cant see the Michaels, from the top[quoted image]

If nothing is done before I get my game, one of the main things I hoped to look into was shrouding the exposed Michael's (preferably something interactive).

I never liked looking at the top of the Living Dead Girl in RZ, or floating door in AMH, and did create solutions for those.

I've had a few offers to trade for earlier games (ordering day fiasco put me later than it should have), but I'd rather not feel obligated to mod anything prematurely, and have plenty of other things to get to.

Look forward to what everyone comes up with

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Same, I'll be changing mine as well, most likely have to see it before I make a decision
    Edit, found this. [quoted image]

That looks incredible for the game (wonder how it looks when not in the sun).

I was torn on the armor color as well. Will look forward to what others swap in.

-----------

As a side note, despite how packed Halloween is, I do see the opportunity for a couple rather large, transformative mods for the game, amongst others, without obscuring anything important, so the gears are turning, despite my silence on specific ideas I have in mind.

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from SketchyMcDuff:

In addition to the Hobby Lobby hedges, this one looks pretty close too (the one on the right). This company is also in Wisconsin, maybe locally sourced? https://www.walthers.com/hedge-25-13-32-x-11-16-quot-100cm-x-1-8cm
    [quoted image][quoted image]

I think it will be a challenge to cover the top of the Michael's in a way that would tick all the boxes.

Just about anything would detract from the appearance of the hedge as it's seen in the film.

I wonder if a decent improvement could be to find a similar material (as a DIY) and just extend the height of the hedges (with a new, solid piece) to wherever the glass allows without looking odd. Seeing 1-1.5 Michael's from player perspective would be better than 3, and I think I prefer the look of scaling hedges (hedge beyond Michael in the film also appears a bit taller)

Just a quick MS-Paint mock up here with your photo for comparison:
    hwn (resized).jpghwn (resized).jpg

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Loved your Elvira mods and look forward to your Halloween mods. I am getting a CE #790 though

I'm glad you're enjoying the Elvira mods As I noted elsewhere, after my CC got declined on a CE purchase within the first minutes of opening, I got locked out (refreshing) for another hour and wound up with #592, so your spot will likely line up with when I'd be able to develop something anyway. A few offered to trade spots (as low as #61), but I didn't want the added pressure that would bring.

Quoted from RikeIsland:

Please do something for Ultraman. I love your mods and have them in almost all my machines.

I appreciate the positive feedback, though as my mod history may show, I have to really feel something to be driven to mod a game. While I was familiar with Ultraman (primarily from my Famicom/FDS collecting days), it's not a theme I think I would do as much justice to compared to someone that intimately knows the source material. That's not a hard "no" as of yet, but it's unlikely.

2 weeks later
    #58 2 years ago
    Quoted from Cheeks:

I'm firmly on the fence over which game I'll be keeping. For me, HWN started in the lead based on theme and the initial trailers. After Jack's stream, UM has pulled out to a *VERY* significant lead, although it's still early.
    I have to admit, if HWN catches up, and I'm still debating at all about which game to keep, the fact you'll be making HWN mods and not UM would be enough to tip the scales. Been buying your stuff since the RZ days, and your mods are transformative. I just wish you had an earlier number (and that it wouldn't cause you undue stress).
    As for specific ideas, there are so many possibilities given the scale of work you've done before. The visible Michaels behind the hedges are the obvious eyesore. The next glaring omission, and where you could probably make the most difference, is the top left balcony. You could really transform that area of the game into something cool. That said, there are tangible opportunities on the right-side uppers as well. Spooky did a much nicer job with the house level than the top upper on UM, but creating a more immersive house situation would be cool, especially if it tied into the balcony (that I'm imagining you'll make) on the left. Your AMH mods bridged the entire back of the playfield, and I could see you doing something similar here.
    Other than that, maybe fleshing out a portion of the sanitarium would have potential?
    As much as I would want you to do UM mods, HWN seems right up your alley. This game has tangible physical locations that I could really see you bringing to life.
    </end creepy fanboy rant>

I appreciate the faith, and of course the support over the years (I do recognize everyone that has stuck with me since the early days)

Still seems best to keep plans to myself this early, but if it all works out, what I have in mind should be rather transformative (can be a challenge to bring some ideas to life, but I do try to improve as I go forward).

#67 2 years ago
    Quoted from Medisinyl:

I think it will be a challenge to cover the top of the Michael's in a way that would tick all the boxes.
    Just about anything would detract from the appearance of the hedge as it's seen in the film.
    I wonder if a decent improvement could be to find a similar material (as a DIY) and just extend the height of the hedges (with a new, solid piece) to wherever the glass allows without looking odd. Seeing 1-1.5 Michael's from player perspective would be better than 3, and I think I prefer the look of scaling hedges (hedge beyond Michael in the film also appears a bit taller)
    Just a quick MS-Paint mock up here with your photo for comparison:
    [quoted image]

Having now played the game, I wanted to note that the perceived glass channel from that photo isn't as it seemed. Not nearly enough room on that second hedge to bother raising it at all. Exposed Michaels don't actually bother me as much as I thought it may, though I do feel like that habitrail could have something interactive as the ball goes through.

Game plays great

9 months later
    #92 1 year ago
    Quoted from FullTilt_Pinball:

I want to know where I can find this mod...

It must be something someone made for their own machine.. Can't find it anywhere

If you mean the house, it's offered by Andrew/Vimtoman here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-halloween-amp-ultraman-mod

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider medisinyl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/halloween-and-ultraman-modders-come-on-in?tu=medisinyl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.