(Topic ID: 227543)

Halloween 2018 - Movie Review

By delt31

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

#1 5 years ago

I'm a huge Halloween fan and the new movie is getting great reviews. I completely forgot they had Thursday night showings so here I am awaiting to watch the movie in the theater. Pumped!

I'm curious what other pinsiders think of it as I know many of you love the series too. Give your reviews here - no spoilers.

Expectations are kind of high. I hope it delivers

#2 5 years ago

The first two haloween movies are still my favorite and I was looking forward to this one as it is a new take on Michael and Laurie. That being said maybe I was expecting more than this movie could deliver. It has good moments, but I would say overal it is weak. . No spoilers so I wont elaborate. But some points leave you going really? And why? See it if your a fan of the series, but do not expect it to be better than Rob Zombies first reboot, which I would watch over the new one given the choice. And that one had some flaws, but atleast it was interesting.

#3 5 years ago

AMC is having a Halloween marathon tonite and all day SAT, with Halloween 1 thru 6 and H20
My wife is a major fan of the series, and has watched the original at least 1000 times.
She will watch it on DVD/VHS up to 5-10 times a week at times and knows all the dialog.
We will probably wait until next week to see the new movie in the theatre when her sister comes to visit.

#4 5 years ago

So I just got back. I'm happy with it but disappointed too. My initial reaction was that they gave WAY too much away in the trailers. I know this is typical but man - I felt like almost all of the great parts were already noted in the trailer. That being said, it was entertaining and did have its spots but #1 and #2 still best it. Loganpinball - I agree with your summary. I would recommend people see it but go in with your expectations check.

Added over 5 years ago:

EDIT I have been thinking more about this movie and decided to see it again late last night. I enjoyed it more on the second viewer. They did a good job with it - I would def recommend others seeing it. Movie seems to fly through and has some great set pieces (especially the 1 continous shot with Michael - could be one of the best scenes in the series). Stay until the end credits!

#5 5 years ago

Watching marathon now on AMC today and tomorrow

#6 5 years ago

I want to go see this movie as well but if it gets bad reviews i will probably just pass.

#7 5 years ago

It was awesome. See it.

#8 5 years ago

It doesn't matter how fast you run, Michael Myers always walks faster!

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

My wife is a major fan of the series, and has watched the original at least 1000 times.
She will watch it on DVD/VHS up to 5-10 times a week at times and knows all the dialog.

Holy shit. Can't imagine doing that with anything.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I want to go see this movie as well but if it gets bad reviews i will probably just pass.

def see it. Worth it. It's one of the better ones. I'm still thinking about it today which is always a good sign.

There is one scene that is really out of nowhere but the movie gets right back to it....ultimately it's a good halloween which i haven't said in a long time.

I like it more the day after....

#11 5 years ago

But how many popcorns?

#12 5 years ago

3 out of 4 Newsday stars. Soft 3.

#13 5 years ago

Did they cgi in Donald pleasance?

#14 5 years ago

Nope but they have him speaking on tape and it's def not him some actor.

Stay past the end credits btw - I'm reading that something happens. I didn't. maybe a reason to see it again...haha

#15 5 years ago

Technically, the film was shot really well. There was a single take shot toward the beginning that was amazing.

Tons of iconic scenes. When Micheal Myers finally got his mask... wow. If you’re a fan of the original, there was a scene at the end that will make you fist bump the person next to you.

There were flaws, sure. A few character arcs that didn’t quite get flushed out. Some over reliance on the original score. Some unneeded humor. Overall, it was absolutely worth the wait and the best Halloween since the original.

#16 5 years ago

My wife wants to know if they have scenes with little kids
trick or treating house to house in costume
with everybody's porch all decked out for Halloween.
Or is it mostly just slash and chase.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Holy shit. Can't imagine doing that with anything.

She will watch and rewatch it and the sequels many times in a row,
maybe take a few weeks break, then rewatch it again,
especially in fall and winter,
or even Spring /summer when she wishes it were fall
and/or misses the gloominess of fall.
Halloween being her favorite holiday and time of year.

#18 5 years ago

I'm shocked that the latest in a series of films with 1 great movie and 25 awful ones isn't so hot.

Hey as long as it still has that awesome theme song who cares.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

So I just got back. I'm happy with it but disappointed too. My initial reaction was that they gave WAY too much away in the trailers. I know this is typical but man - I felt like almost all of the great parts were already noted in the trailer.

....go in with your expectations check.

Welcome to the last 15 years or so. Once the horror reboots started in 2003 or so, it has been garbage in, garbage out. There have been a couple diamonds in the rough: Evil Dead (2013), the first Insidious, Oculous, It Follows, Babadook....but overall, man, horror has been so defanged. It has about as much life as using an AED on a corpse.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Welcome to the last 15 years or so. Once the horror reboots started in 2003 or so, it has been garbage in, garbage out. There have been a couple diamonds in the rough: Evil Dead (2013), the first Insidious, Oculous, It Follows, Babadook....but overall, man, horror has been so defanged. It has about as much life as using an AED on a corpse.

Major studio stuff yes, but they are still out there. A lot of Mike Flanagan’s movies (Oculus) are great, Ti West, others. Conjuring 1 and 2, I even like the Sinister series.

These reviews are all over the place! I’m seeing “it’s not better than Rob Zombie’s” films, which I liked fine, but they didn’t feel to me like the original series. And then a couple of “its great but with flaws” and then “omfg sooo goood”. Guess I’ll have to see it myself!

#21 5 years ago

Saw it, enjoyed it. Even has something for pinsiders to enjoy.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I'm a huge Halloween fan and the new movie is getting great reviews. I completely forgot they had Thursday night showings so here I am awaiting to watch the movie in the theater. Pumped!
I'm curious what other pinsiders think of it as I know many of you love the series too. Give your reviews here - no spoilers.
Expectations are kind of high. I hope it delivers

What did you think of the Rob Zombie versions?

#23 5 years ago

OMG - totally forgot to mention that there is a scene which pinsiders especially will appreciate!!!

After thinking about it for a day, I'm in the, "it was a good movie but with some flaws". Def happy with it though. They def made Michael scary again.

I thought the first Rob zombie was tolerable/borderline OK while the 2nd was hot garbage. This movie smokes both of those. I think it's better than any other halloween except 1 and 2. 2 is such a underrated movie. Felt like such a natural extension of the first.

1 week later
#24 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

OMG - totally forgot to mention that there is a scene which pinsiders especially will appreciate!!!

Just saw the movie with my wife on Halloween.
Fairly quick into the movie there is a scene
of a sheriff playing a Back to Future pinball machine at a Quicky Stop store for
about 10 seconds while some jive talking dude tries to psych him about never beating his high score.
The producers even gave the Data East Pin and Universal an end credit
(Universal owns the Back to Future franchise,
so that is probably why the game was intact without any cover up of TM materials.
This remake is released by Universal)
My wife liked the movie a lot.
I thought it OK (I am not into horror flicks, but like Jamie Lee Curtis)
Only real flaw in movie I thought
was the dramatic decision/action that the
Dr. Loomis wannabe took about 2/3rd into the movie.
I just did not buy it.

#25 5 years ago

Good movie, not as good as I was hoping for but it was worth seeing just the same. I'll watch it again when it hits video.

7 months later
#26 4 years ago

Finally watched it as just came to HBO. It was ok but hoping for more after all the hype.

#27 4 years ago

They are making another coming out in 2020

#29 4 years ago

It was lame. Completely predictable and was never on the edge of my seat. In fact, the theater had reclining seats and I near dozed off.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Finally watched it as just came to HBO. It was ok but hoping for more after all the hype.

Kinda felt like a remake of the first one or maybe combined with a few others

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/halloween-2018-movie-review and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.