(Topic ID: 120405)

Hallow needle desoldering technique ??? Anyone

By CNKay

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

chemwik.jpg
    DSC00234.JPG
    #1 9 years ago

Lots of weird crazy or just strange stuff found while surfing eBay and other shopping sites.

So I happened to run across this. At first I thought it was for help clearing a desoldering iron tip.

After reading the discription realize it is supposed to be some other desoldering technique.

Here is the link:

ebay.com link: itm

Anyone ever hear of or use in a pinch or on the road.?

I am guessing it may be useful for say removing a transistor without cutting legs.??
    I never heard off and I am having a hard time thinking off a stituation that it would be warranted but figured I'd ask if you have ever used this hallow needle technique.

#2 9 years ago

You use it to get the holes free of solder after removing a transistor for example. This is safer than a pump for example which can damage the board. Same goes for desoldering wire (forgot the correct English term). I have one of these sets but they have a learning curve.

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from Endprodukt:

desoldering wire (forgot the correct English term)

"braid"

#4 9 years ago

Seemed to me you would fit over component lead heat up joint and press this tool through

I have desoldering station and I have always used braid or pump if needing to clear a hole without station. I have never had issue with any method. But this method I have never heard of.

Video of use please.

#5 9 years ago

I would have to say my hakko 470/472 de soldering station is the best ebay tool purchase I have made.
    I am interested in seeing a video of in use. The more I learn the better I'll get.
    Fortytwo

#6 9 years ago

Thanks!

Quoted from CNKay:

Seemed to me you would fit over component lead heat up joint and press this tool through
    I have desoldering station and I have always used braid or pump if needing to clear a hole without station. I have never had issue with any method. But this method I have never heard of.
    Video of use please.

Some desoldering pumps are too strong leading to broken pads or traces (or both ) and you'll just suck them in. Especially on the CPU board which is very sensitive to desoldering. This might not happen if you're very experienced though. Same goes for braid. If you use it wrong it can stick to the pads or traces and you'll rip them off. Happened to me... I know better now

I try to look up a video that someone posted on the german pinball forum!

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from Endprodukt:

Thanks!
    If you use it wrong it can stick to the pads or traces and you'll rip them off. Happened to me... I know better now

I use braid a lot, especially at work. Use lots of flux, and never push the braid down into a via hole. Laying it on top of the hole and light pressure, 99.9% of the time it will wick the solder out and not stick to anything. Like you said - if you do it wrong it can.

#9 9 years ago

I ordered a set. What the hell for 4 bucks it's worth a try. Tool hoarder out

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I use braid a lot, especially at work. Use lots of flux, and never push the braid down into a via hole. Laying it on top of the hole and light pressure, 99.9% of the time it will wick the solder out and not stick to anything. Like you said - if you do it wrong it can.

I'm totally with you. Without the flux the solder might stay in the hole. You still need a little experience how much heat is okay and how much could damage the board or traces. Good soldering to everyone. Never practice on a board that can be saved by a pro

#11 9 years ago

I've always used a cheap de-soldering iron from Radio Shack, 35 watt I believe, and braid when needed and haven't had any issues. As stated, as long as you use it properly, it works fine and doesn't stick. Thanks for bringing this up though, always good to have more tools and techniques in the arsenal.

#12 9 years ago

Can you guys recommend a decent braid? Also, what temperature do you typically set your iron to when using it? I always use my Hakko desoldering pump and have never had much luck with braid.

#13 9 years ago

I usually don't use braid, but there are some cases I've been in replacing laptop power connectors where it is recommended to use it. I use cheap Radio Shack braid. It's infused with some flux, but if you don't add extra flux you're in for trouble. I'm not a super experienced electronics person, so if somebody can recommend a better braid I'd be interested.

#14 9 years ago

Maybe that's my issue. I never use extra flux with the braid. I'll have to try that.

#15 9 years ago

Mouser Electronics carries Techspray Prowick. Lots of sizes, but I like to use number 4.

It's pre-fluxed,and wicks out of holes well.

#16 9 years ago

DSC00234.JPGDSC00234.JPGyeah i have a few rolls of #3 "solder wick" and " techspray "for me and the tiny stuff but it depends on the job.

same with temp :

Quoted from Deez:

recommend a decent braid? Also, what temperature do you typically set your iron to when using it?

my PACE tip selection book always recommends "for most" general stuff starting at 600 and adjusting up. well it pretty much stays at 650 for most of my bench soldering but it depends on the tip, the size of trace, the component and just experience with your equipment. mine is a digital PACE MBT unit and you can put in factory offset adjustments of say 47 if you have some big crazy surface mount tip on there.
    De soldering temp is usually around 690 maybe a tad higher.

Ideally you really always want to use the lowest temp that will give you the perfect joint if your a little bit higher for a trace you will find out, but to long with a low temp is not good either.

Here is another IC puller that works good for ROMS and dips, i gave up on the screw driver.

back to the topic: the video was great i enjoyed the stalactites and stalagmites thanks for finding it. Endproduct

yeah i am going to pick up a set may work good for a plugged tip as well. Just another one of those extra techniques and tools that no one really talks about maybe a real good thing to keep in the ROAD bag.

#17 9 years ago

The hollow needle's are used to desolder the lead while the chip/transistor is installed. You put it on the lead, heat the joint up and press it through the hole. Repeat for all the leads and remove the component.

Absolutely no idea why anyone would make them/sell them.

If you want to clean out through-holes just buy a bunch of tooth-picks.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from terryb:

while the chip/transistor is installed

yes so if you were out on a location and needed to do a drive transistor and predrive i think it may work out well.

But well posting to see if folks use, don't use or are like me and just never seen it. fresh cut pine toothpicks would have extra flux.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

fresh cut pine toothpicks would have extra flux.

No doubt!

#20 9 years ago

All joking aside, round toothpicks will repel the molten solder from a hole if you are ever working in the field without your usual tools.

#21 9 years ago

Yes the toothpick trick I have never used either so I am glad I did this thread

I thought the guy in th vid did a fine job with using what he did
    But I just keep thinking the socket or ic was already off the board to begin with and if using the proper tool the holes would have already been clear. I am assuming he did just for teaching the technique.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Can you guys recommend a decent braid? Also, what temperature do you typically set your iron to when using it? I always use my Hakko desoldering pump and have never had much luck with braid.

This is the only stuff I use. Back when I used to do A/V repair, it was what we all used where I worked. I normally work at 800 degrees.

chemwik.jpgchemwik.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hallow-needle-desoldering-technique-anyone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.