IMG_8386 (resized).JPG
wiring (resized).png
contduty1 (resized).jpg
specs (resized).png
IMG_2098 (resized).JPG
IMG_3301 (resized).JPG
IMG_6059 (resized).JPG
contduty1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider leckmeck.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I’m working on a Gottlieb Atlantis. It’s an EM, but what I’m trying to do is more in the realm of an SS technician’s expertise, so I figured this would be a good forum for my question.

The coin lockout coil on Gottlieb EMs is nearly continuous duty. It only turns off when the score motor is turning. Because it’s on for such long periods of time, it gets very toasty. The crispy brown spot on the underneath of the lower end of the playfield is the long-term result of this heat. At this advanced age in these games’ life, the mechanism does not perform well. It usually makes a racket—vibrating like hell from metal fatigue and other factors—and most mechanical adjustments do little to dampen the noise.

So I picked up a 220-ohm A-16890 coil from PBR and want to correctly half-wave rectify it, making the coin lockout mechanism reliably functional and quiet. I’m following the instructions Clay Harrell wrote on Pinrepair.com for fixing tired Hold and Game Over relays. I was able to use two IN4004 diodes to get the half-wave rectification, but the ripple is bad and the coil struggles to pull in the actuating plate. Clay’s instructions mention that Gottlieb often used a capacitor and resistor to smoothen the ripple.

SchematicSchematic

So I picked up a couple of capacitors and resistors from Mouser. Here is the part number, description, and photo of the capacitor:

Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Axial Leaded Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Axial Leaded 50uF 50V Custom P/N

CapacitorCapacitor

Here is the same info for the resistor:

WSC00026R000FEB Wirewound Resistors - SMD Wirewound Resistors - SMD 2watts 6ohms 1%

ResistorResistor

Then here is how my coin lockout mechanism is currently wired with the diodes and A-16890:

Coin Lockout MechanismCoin Lockout Mechanism

Can an expert in here advise me how I can marry the capacitor, resistor, diodes, and coil? Also, do I have the right capacitor and resistor?

Thanks very much.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Admire your efforts. I just cut the coil off the coin door, it is obsolete unless:
Its going on location
You wish to keep it original

I used to just disconnect the noisy ones, but lately I’ve been making an effort to get my restored games fully coin-operable, including the coin lockout. Whatever the reason, I find it very satisfying. Just strolling through my game room with everything off, I’ll drop a random quarter just to hear it clatter into the coin return.

#4 4 years ago

Incidentally, I tried to use just a capacitor to smoothen the ripple. It worked for about five minutes, then the capacitor burst and gassed out. I’m guessing the resistor is necessary. And maybe I need more than the 6-watt, 2-ohm resistor that I bought. Line voltage is higher than it was 40 years ago, so the 24-VAC circuit is actually measuring at nearly 30 VAC. Thoughts on the resistor?

Anyhow, just looking for some expert guidance. I’d like to learn more about DC power; this has been a fun exercise.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

If the voltage is a bit higher then it should be then you can use this one instead.

Thanks for the links. I do like how unobtrusive the bridge rectifier would look.

Because the coil turns off every time the motor turns, does the bridge rectifier need a diode to protect it from backwards voltage surge?

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

By chance did you install the capacitor backwards? It is polarized.

I think I had it right. The longer lead off the end with the CDE arrow (I think that is cathode) was connected to the same lug as the banded diode.

Was that right?

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

The CDE arrow looks like it's pointing to the negative leg of the capacitor, so it was likely installed backwards. The half channel around the right side of your axial capacitor picture indicates the positive leg.

Thanks. You’re confirming what I just read in the technical specification PDF for this capacitor. Man, how hard is it for them to just print a minus or negative sign on the dang thing itself?!

Capacitor SpecsCapacitor Specs

#13 4 years ago

I appreciate @GRUMPY’s advice on using a bridge rectifier, and I’ll try it next time I do this. For this Atlantis, however, I’d like to try utilizing the parts I have on hand. This drawing is how I intend to wire them together. Does it look correct according to the schematic?

Proposed WiringProposed Wiring

Gottlieb SchematicGottlieb Schematic

#15 4 years ago

It’s not pretty, but it works. I left it energized for a long time and there’s no heat on the coil or capacitor.

IMG_8386 (resized).JPGIMG_8386 (resized).JPG

Next time I’ll do the bridge.

Thanks for the counsel, y’all.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Something like this, then run a wire up to the solenoid.
[quoted image]

What is the name for that thing? Some kind of mounting board would be great for securing and compartmentalizing all these little components.

Quoted from mbwalker:

And just get a leaded resistor.

I wish I could find one. Mouser has exactly one (!) stocked option for this rating of resistor. Is there another source I should consider?

Quoted from mbwalker:

Looking at the connection below...I don't think it will last long. At a minimum, run the wire parallel to the resistor lead, not perpendicular.
[quoted image]
Not nit-picking, just thinking long term. Plus you definitely don't want a 50V wire breaking loose!

Thanks for the feedback. I don’t mind the criticism. I gave the resistor/diode choo-choo train a couple of rude yanks and it doesn’t yield. This stuff is on the coin door, where it’s pretty sleepy. Maybe if I put the game on location and have delinquents banging on the coin door!

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from sysprog:

Yes thank you, I was aware of the need for diodes on SS coils, didn’t really see the need on an EM.

On EMs, that diode lengthens the life of the bridge rectifier.

#26 4 years ago

I bought a pack of these and will use it to stabilize everything.

412mn+246mL._AC_ (resized).jpg412mn+246mL._AC_ (resized).jpg

Then NEXT time I will just use a bridge rectifier.

When I first got into pinball ten years ago, I kept cooking transistors on the driver board for a System 1 game. I swore off SS games and stayed with EMs. This has been a good learning experience.

Quoted from mbwalker:

Looks like I can get you pretty close to the desired resistance a couple of different ways...
Won't be able to send out until this Sat or maybe early next week, if that's OK.[quoted image]

I’m in no hurry. I’ll PM my address to you. Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider leckmeck.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/half-wave-rectifiying-a-coin-lockout-coil-on-an-em?tu=leckmeck and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.