You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3456 (resized).JPG
IMG_4941 (resized).JPG
IMG_4929 (resized).JPG
IMG_4925 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cjs001.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Sorry if this shouldn't be here, if it shouldn't let me know and I'll drain it. Wasn't sure exactly were to ask this. I picked up a bally playboy and I am in the middle of working on it. I was originally all gun hoe on doing as much possible restore work as possible and making it look as close to new. Well the more I work on it and notice more things I'm wondering if I should not go too overboard with the restore. I don't want to put more into it then it will ever be worth and my wife will kill me if I do that again!! This game will go into our collection for now but one day I will sell it to help fund my dream game. So the main question I am asking is, is it wise to repaint the whole body, or is all that time and extra money not worth it. The backback has the worst paint wear and the area around the coin door to me is rough and ugly, but I could live with it. Someone added a shabby credit button and three large bolts were drilled into it that annoy me. You'll see in pictures. For condition assessment when considering this extra restore/facelift work: backglass 10/10 and I will triple thick it to keep it that way; playfield had Mylar placed on it well after a lot of use so swirl marks are locked in under it, I considered removing it but the closer I look I found a few paint chips missing from before it was installed making me extremely fearfully that I'll get horrible results removing it. I started buffing the Mylar tonight and have it almost back to mirror glass look(picture prior to buffing), which helped a lot. There are two spots down to wood, which I will clean up around and Mylar to stop further wear, neither in main playfield area. All electronics are original, MPU had battery damage, I fixed it all and is working fine now. All capacitors replaced throughout, all recommended board mods done, transformer rebuilt with upgraded bridge rectifiers. All header pins throughout entire game replaced. All new crimp terminals on ever wire. All mechanics will be cleaned, flippers rebuilt, pop bumpers rebuilt, plan to LED the game also. I've never done this much before and just not sure if repainting is worth the extra mile. Need some opinions so I can either tell the misses she's right and I'm going overboard or it's totally worth it economically. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

#2 7 years ago

Second picture is before Mylar cleaning/buffing, third picture is after I started. Some decent improvement.

IMG_4925 (resized).JPGIMG_4925 (resized).JPG
IMG_4929 (resized).JPGIMG_4929 (resized).JPG
IMG_4941 (resized).JPGIMG_4941 (resized).JPG

#5 7 years ago

Thank you for your opinions, much appreciated. I am going to go for it and repaint the whole body. Thanks again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
$ 69.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cjs001.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/half-value-half-resto-question-playboy?tu=cjs001 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.