(Topic ID: 82255)

half @ss repairs - what have you come across?

By TireFryer426

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by TomGWI
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-58.jpg
image-804.jpg
image-121.jpg
image-167.jpg
image-44.jpg
work2.jpg
work.jpg
image-497.jpg
image-865.jpg
IMG_6431.JPG
IMG_6435.JPG
IMG_6433.JPG
IMG_6430.JPG
image-699.jpg
IMAG0525.jpg
WP_20131005_003.jpg
#1 10 years ago

We picked up a T2 a few months ago... was our first machine, so admittedly we didn't really know what to look for. After going through the machine, we found one of the previous owners liked to use drywall screws in place of the correct screws, and even started adding new things.
The real major dissapointment are the 2 that came up through the playfield in the pictures.
But on top of that, the cannons switches weren't configured right, so the gun was shooting the playfield objects during its shake loose. I've probably pulled 8-10 of these huge drywall screws out of the machine. I thought the 'shielding' was a nice touch.

WP_20131004_006.jpgWP_20131004_006.jpg WP_20131004_008.jpgWP_20131004_008.jpg WP_20131005_003.jpgWP_20131005_003.jpg
#2 10 years ago

No pics, but many years ago helped a buddy pick up a bingo, that had the awesome tin-foil across the fuse hack.

My GnR came with a cut down and shaped southpark plastic.

My HS had two of the pop bumpers tied into each other, so they would both fire, but only if a certain pop was hit.

Lots of weird board hacks all the time.

#3 10 years ago

Previous owner had stuffed a toilet paper roll down into the UP KICKER on my Space Station pin to keep the ball from entering since that coil wasn't firing.

Post edited by moderator: forgot some info

#4 10 years ago

A previous owner solder wires straight to the pcb because they were too lazy to replace the molex connector.

#5 10 years ago

This was on a flight 2000 I bought last summer, wanted to fix it for the experience but for the money I couldn't pass up just installing a new one from great planes.

IMAG0525.jpgIMAG0525.jpg
#6 10 years ago

Too many to count. I'll take some pics of my latest hacks I have to fix.

#7 10 years ago

The Addams with the sawblade flipper switch was one of my personal favorites from another thread

#8 10 years ago

yikes! That poor t2.

#9 10 years ago

I hate, hate, hate when I come across System 11s and WPCs where some wise ass has direct soldered the wires to the pins rather than using a connector. Have seen that multiple times now.

#10 10 years ago

Most of the "repairs" described (with the exception of the toilet paper roll and foil across the fuses) were normal operator protocol to keep the money flowing into the cashboxes.

#11 10 years ago

I can only assume that this T2 was routed early in its life.
Its a shame, because the machine has cleaned up nicely, the playfield is in very good shape - minus the holes they put in it by the skull. The rest of the drywall screws they put in were at least behind things or in places that would be covered if the plastic weren't broken. There are a lot of places where they used sheetmetal screws instead of the correct screw on the underside and just ran it into the wood. Fortunately those didn't come through the playfield.
But, its in better shape than the other handful of T2's i've encountered. There is one in town thats un-playable.

Its been a great first pin though. We paid way too much for it in the condition it was in, but its been a great learning experience.

I can imagine foil or a screw across the fuse would be normal.
The direct soldering is a pain, but at least that looks pretty easy to fix.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from TireFryer426:

We paid way too much for it in the condition it was in, but its been a great learning experience.

Welcome to the club. I think alot of people make this mistake in the beginning. I know I did.

#13 10 years ago

Love this rectifier board. Half plugs, and half soldered direct. The best is the 8 pin connector, split into a 4 pin plug, 1 hard wired, and a 3pin plug piece mounted upside down. (Look close)
"Hey instead of an 8 pin connector, I'll use two tiny bits, and solder the rest directly!"

image-699.jpgimage-699.jpg
#14 10 years ago

Oh wow, thats a fine mess there!

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

I hate, hate, hate when I come across System 11s and WPCs where some wise ass has direct soldered the wires to the pins rather than using a connector. Have seen that multiple times now.

Thats what I had on my T2....was pretty pissed about it, but it cleaned up alright.

#16 10 years ago

I don't have pics, but in my first pinball machine, Alien Poker, I found alligator clips being used to make a few connections under the pf. I thought it was weird, but accepted that's the way it was supposed to be. It wasn't until I got to the point of troubleshooting some odd light and switch issues that I took them out and fixed the wiring. To this day I'm not sure what the alligator clips were supposed to be connecting because every wire I needed was there. I think it mostly had diode issues, so maybe they were used to get one light to come on at the same time as another. Fortunately they were easy to remove and come in handy when checking stuff with my DMM.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

This was on a flight 2000 I bought last summer, wanted to fix it for the experience but for the money I couldn't pass up just installing a new one from great planes.

IMAG0525.jpg 330 KB

My Stern Big Game had every wire direct soldered to the rectifier board. It was a fun project replacing connectors and pinning new headers. It's something that should probably be done anyway on these classic Bally/Sterns, so it's just a major motivator for getting that taken care of.

#18 10 years ago

I also have a T2 with "enhanced" wiring. One example in it was a burned up molex, the female half was replaced with a much shorter connector, the rest of the wires that should have been part of that connector were soldered to the board, and two of them had the last 6" replaced with speaker wire which was also soldered directly to the board. I believe a different burned up connector on that machine had some wires that had been partially replaced with what looked like a lamp cord, of course, wired directly to the board.
Luckily after these gems were pointed out to the seller, the price came down.

#19 10 years ago

Found a 35 amp circuit breaker wired into the solenoid circuit of my Black Knight, in place of the required 2.5 amp slow blow fuse.

-Hans

#20 10 years ago

we kind of covered this topic before... again here is my latest "winner"

- electrical tape flipper
-duck tape sling rubber
-painters tape hole cover (instead of fixing drop target)
-the "classic" rubber band outlane to make the game "more competitive"

ALL ON THE SAME GAME! sweeeeeeeeeet

IMG_6430.JPGIMG_6430.JPG IMG_6431.JPGIMG_6431.JPG IMG_6433.JPGIMG_6433.JPG IMG_6435.JPGIMG_6435.JPG
#21 10 years ago
Quoted from pinnaf:

we kind of covered this topic before... again here is my latest "winner"
- electrical tape flipper-duck tape sling rubber-painters tape hole cover (instead of fixing drop target)-the "classic" rubber band outlane to make the game "more competitive"
ALL ON THE SAME GAME! sweeeeeeeeeet

IMG_6430.JPG 50 KB
IMG_6433.JPG 62 KB
IMG_6435.JPG 40 KB
IMG_6431.JPG 56 KB

Winner!

#22 10 years ago

Not a great pic but when I first bought my flintstones it was constantly having goofy issues after playing multiple games in a row and power issues on the board. It wasn't until I pulled the board to discover some McGuiver tried to retrofit (under the heat sink) a bridge rectifier with tabs (instead of the correct one with wire leads) to the board using massive amounts of solder. After I removed it, cleaned up the mess and added the correct rectifier the game plays like a champ!image-865.jpgimage-865.jpgimage-497.jpgimage-497.jpg

#23 10 years ago

I once saw a Champion Pub, where they covered a hole in one of the plastics, with a large washer NAILED INTO THE PLAYFIELD. Wish I had the pics.

Game was in such bad shape, I was sure the op would just sell it for parts - so many things wrong with it. When I asked him if he'd sell, he told me $5200 firm. With a straight face. I just laughed and walked away.

#24 10 years ago

Guy said his game had not worked right since he got the board back.

work.jpgwork.jpg work2.jpgwork2.jpg
#25 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Guy said his game had not worked right since he got the board back.

Doh!

#26 10 years ago

I had a thread a while back on the worst hack you ever saw. There are some great pictures and stories that people posted.

#27 10 years ago

3" deck screw used to "secure" multi leveled plastics to the playfield.

#28 10 years ago

Fixing the HACKS on my WCS GI!
Also No flashers and F111 blowing fuse.
Good Times!

image-44.jpgimage-44.jpg
image-167.jpgimage-167.jpg

#29 10 years ago

Fix the pins. Had to do about 7 stitch repairs total.
Here are some fancy connectors that were made. I fixed the first connector. Now on to the second one.
I would seriously kick the tech in the nuts who fixed this. $&!?$&@)

image-804.jpgimage-804.jpg image-121.jpgimage-121.jpg image-58.jpgimage-58.jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.50
$ 9.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 21.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 27.95
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/half-ss-repairs-what-have-you-come-across and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.