(Topic ID: 255991)

Half of sound clips quit working Rescue 911

By DblJBird

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Newbie on here. This is my 2nd machine, but my first one has been problem free. Even though I have 20 years experience with dc voltage, pins are a bit foreign to me. I acquired this in a barter and although the play field needed ugly work, the electronics in the back box were quite clean and serviced well best I can tell.

I just got it up running for 1-3 hours a day for a couple weeks. Then a couple nights ago approximately half the sounds just disappeared mid game. Half the music, half the sound effects, half the speech...just specific clips. No pop. No smell or smoke. Just decided to quit.

I have since removed both aux and main sound boards, cleaned(even though they were quite clean), inspected, reseated, tested voltage and continuity, etc...fuses. Nothing suspicious.

There are 2 AROMs on the aux board. There is a DROM and YROM on the main sound board. For grins and giggles I pulled AROM1 and booted it up. It seemed there was little or no difference in the clips I was hearing. Once I pulled the 2nd one, there were more missing clips but buzz’s and bleeps that I shouldn’t be hearing started happening so I quit there...yet there were still sounds being produced from the main board.

So my little knowledge of ROMs was playing with keyboards when I was a kid...can I assume likely AROM1 took a digger?! Or maybe one of the other 3 by chance. I’m not sure how common that occurs.

My theory is to simply pay to get all 4 imaged at this point. There may come a day they may not be available.

The rest of the machine is in 100% working order.

There are a couple archived threads on here, but everything seems to dead end without a resolution. Either they gave up or fixed it and never stopped playing!

But as a newbie, I’d like to know I’m heading in the right direction. I don’t know if it could be something off the main board or if there’s specifics I can test at the rom in circuit to verify anything. I also want to make sure I’m not replacing a defective ROM only to blow it in another 2 weeks because of a more core issue.

#2 4 years ago

Have you reseated all the ribbon cables going from the CPU board? Those sounds get their logic trigger from the CPU. Sounds like you have one logic line not sending triggers. I had the exact same issue on my R911 a few years ago and a ribbon cable reseat took care of it.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Have you reseated all the ribbon cables going from the CPU board?

Thank you. So I went through and pulled the rest of the boards in the back box, cleaned, inspected, reseated proms. Issue still remains. Although I found melted insulation on the negative lead for the ribbon cable to my driver board so yay for me! It’s not an issue, but at least it’s discovered and I can get it replaced.

I did once again pull one of the AROMs off the aux board. I’m quite certain I hear no difference pulling AROM2, which leads me to suspect either that ROM or a logic issue. When I do pull AROM1 I lose most of the rest of speech and minor other effects. When I pull the YROM off the main sound board, I then lose the rest of the sounds. The sounds missing are almost so split down the middle that I feel it has to be AROM2 ?!?

I leave for vacation tomorrow, so I’m just going to order AROM1 & 2 replacements for the aux board since that seems the easiest and not too costly next step.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from DblJBird:

Thank you. So I went through and pulled the rest of the boards in the back box, cleaned, inspected, reseated proms. Issue still remains. Although I found melted insulation on the negative lead for the ribbon cable to my driver board so yay for me! It’s not an issue, but at least it’s discovered and I can get it replaced.
I did once again pull one of the AROMs off the aux board. I’m quite certain I hear no difference pulling AROM2, which leads me to suspect either that ROM or a logic issue. When I do pull AROM1 I lose most of the rest of speech and minor other effects. When I pull the YROM off the main sound board, I then lose the rest of the sounds. The sounds missing are almost so split down the middle that I feel it has to be AROM2 ?!?
I leave for vacation tomorrow, so I’m just going to order AROM1 & 2 replacements for the aux board since that seems the easiest and not too costly next step.

If you want to send me your old roms, I can verify them, and also send you replacement roms at no cost (just shipping). Just let me know.

1 year later
#5 2 years ago

Zombie bump on this thread. I'm having some similar issues, with some random sounds not triggering.

Did you ever get those ROMS reflashed, was most likely going the same thing

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/half-of-sound-clips-quit-working-rescue-911?hl=buffalo_rf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.