Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Hellfire
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Well at least all my GI lighting is working now. Williams Jokerz! I'm working on, getting everything back together after a playfield restore. While I'm happy all the bulbs are firing now, I obviously don't like that the left side is dim. Looks like I'm getting half voltage (3v vs 6v) on the dim side. I jumpered one of the right bulbs to the left side with alligator clips, the whole left side brightened right up.

Rather than trace the issue (probably a weak solder joint), is it a hack if I want to simply solder a permanent jumper over to the left side? I mean it's doing the same thing, all the GI is basically a christmas light string.

#2 11 years ago

Yes it is a hack and you will burn up the other side of your GI that is properly working. But hey its your machine, you can do as you wish.

You most likely have a burned GI header on the interconnect board. The corresponding connector also probably have burned pins. A proper repair would see you replace the header, verify continuity through the board and repin the connector.

Sooner or later you will have to address it properly as the hack will just strain the other side and cause it to dim/fail.

#3 11 years ago

Craig is right.

I would look at the interconnect J6 (usually the GI lighting). Other connectors may have GI running thru them as well (look at schematic).

Have you visually inspected the connectors and found any burn marks? Also inspect the connectors (yellow wiring) coming off of the power supply. If any are burnt, replace.

You want to fix this issue the right way. Take the time to find the problem, which is most likely a burnt connector, and fix it, new connector AND HEADER.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from Craigmack:

you will burn up the other side of your GI that is properly working

I thought about the same thing after posting. None of the connectors looked burnt, however I know of one header under the playfield that controls the center lighting is being fussy (if I wiggle it, it works). I really think I need to just order a bunch of IDC connectors and that tool, and replace all the connectors as a starting point. Lord knows the IDC tool will get used again in the future, seems like anything over 20 years has connector issues.

Thanks for confirming

#5 11 years ago

I've seen connectors that don't look burnt, but when you pull them off, the header pins look burnt.

Just an fyi

#6 11 years ago

Yes difinately a connector issue GI connectors should be changed on the power supply boards male and female sides also a very important thing to check as well is the GI fuse holders the blade terminals are troublesome on these machines. and is you have a Gi relay board for the GI also check them connectors esp if under the PF

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/half-gi-lighting-dim and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.