Thanks for letting us borrow your Hakko.
So, I got the re-cap kit into the EBD sound board done.
With pre-work (documents, component organization, and layout), I think the whole process was under 1 hour, but I did not check the time. The worked seemed twice as fast as basic catapult method.
Every hole was clean as a whistle, and *no* pads were damaged.
The original components on this board were a little bit tight for the hole size, and a few were hanging on pretty good. I improved my Hakko technique by apply a slight remove force during the melt (a common technique without solder sucker).
The real beauty of Hakko is the cleanliness of the hole. Only a couple out of 40+ holes need a re-touch before the new components were inserted.
And, the best news to report, is that I did not make the board any worse then when I started. Also, after the work was completed, the board was returned to the game, I verified an issue in sound rom chips, that I had procrastinated.
The dirty-black legs on the rom chips were preventing the board from working correctly, and most likely, I will replace the ROMs, if cleaning does not work.
Hakko gun got hot
Gray solder melted swiftly
Light peered through clean hole