3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Turtle
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

This question is for the board work guys. What style and size of tips are recommended/best for doing repair work on the most common board sets?

I have a Hakko 808 desoldering gun and want to start practicing simple stuff on junk PCBs from non pinball equipment.

Stuff like desoldering header pins (both .156, and .100) replacing caps, transistors, and resistors.

Obviously, I want to start small and work my way up, but starting with the right equipment is a must.

Thanks!

#2 3 years ago

I have three tips.

1.0mm, 1.3mm and 1.6mm.

The 1.6mm works well on 0.156" header pins. The two smaller tips are for board work. Doubt I will ever need any other sizes.

#3 3 years ago

Most often used are 1.0 and 1.6. You can get by with those two for almost all pinball work. I have 0.8mm, 1.0mm, 1.3mm, and 1.6mm. I've used the 0.8 maybe two times. Can't remember if I've ever used the 1.3.

#4 3 years ago

Check out this valuable thread for tips & tricks if you haven't already done so:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terrybs-soldering-guide-part-1

The right tool makes all the difference!

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Check out this valuable thread for tips & tricks if you haven't already done so:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terrybs-soldering-guide-part-1
    The right tool makes all the difference!

Thanks, I had forgotten all about this guide, super helpful.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

Most often used are 1.0 and 1.6.

These are the 2 sizes I use most.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside