7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by comment23
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Got my xmas money to replace my Radio Shack iron, and moderately sold on Hakko as a brand based on recommendations here. My question is, is it worth stepping up to the 951 from the 888 for the extra 150$? I've reads quite a bit on here generally about how great the 888 is, but I haven't seen much head to head comparing? Any insights for a casual user would be appreciated!

#2 7 years ago

I'd consider myself to be a heavy casual user and I can't imagine what I'd need out of $150 more. The 888 has been a great iron and handled everything I've thrown at it.

#3 7 years ago

I presume you're a hobbyist. In that case I would not spend the extra money--the 888 will do anything you need from a soldering station. Most of the features on the 951, like N2, you'll probably never use.

#4 7 years ago

I bought the 888 and it seems a bit over kill for me. But love it I'll never go back to a cheep one.

#5 7 years ago

instead of buying the 951 get the 888 and the fr-300. The pair together make life so easy. I got mine for around 200 as an open box item.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-Willy:

instead of buying the 951 get the 888 and the fr-300. The pair together make life so easy. I got mine for around 200 as an open box item.

My thoughts exactly.

#7 7 years ago

I love my 888-D, it is absolutely the MOST useful tool I own right next to wire strippers. High quality product that heats up insanely fast and holds its temperature VERY well even on thick coil lugs. Next buy is going to be the FR-300, once I get that big amount of cash to spend on a tool.

#8 7 years ago

Thanks all! I already own the fr300, so the 888 is the winner for me!

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-Willy:

100% this.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hakko-888-vs-951 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.