Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by dtown
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

after.jpg
    before.jpg
    CameraZOOM-20140727211725361.jpg
    CameraZOOM-20140727211916686.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball4ever.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I've had a Hakko 936 soldering station for years and it's been perfect in every way. Everyone kept telling me to get the 808, but my cheap blue manual desoldering pump worked fine (I thought) and I didn't want to spend the extra money.

I finally pulled the trigger and purchased one from bdtom on Pinside. I realize I'm preaching to the choir if you already own one, but if you don't do yourself a favor and get one now.

Here's an example of why it's amazing. Tonight I had a bad 20 pin chip at U40 on a system 11 game. I had a socket, but it's an uncommon chip (at least I didn't have one) so I knew it'd be a few days before I could get one. Then I remembered I had a parts board that I could get the chip from. Before I had the Hakko 808, there was basically no way I could desolder a chip like this without breaking off half the legs (using the cheap blue desoldering pump).

Long story short, a few minutes later I had the chip desoldered with no damage whatsoever - pop it in the new socket on the other board and problem solved!

I'd also like to add it's extremely easy to use and clean, and the kit comes with extra common parts so you're set for a while. I'm sure there are plenty of other desoldering guns and stations that perform equally well, but I only have experience with the Hakko 808 so far.

CameraZOOM-20140727211916686.jpgCameraZOOM-20140727211916686.jpg
    CameraZOOM-20140727211725361.jpgCameraZOOM-20140727211725361.jpg

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from johnnypinball:

Just bit the bullet on one myself. Can't wait to try it out!

You're going to love it - wise purchase!

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Hahahahaha... I told you man, there are clearly two feelings when you move up to a good desolderer- Joy and Anger.... The initial feeling is pure joy.... You can't believe how nice something like this functions..... Then, about 5 minutes later, anger kicks in, because for YEARS, you have been telling yourself that you bulb sucker was just fine....

So true! Even after you told me about yours I was hesitant. I won't even say how many years because it's too embarassing. I basically wasted a good portion of my life!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball4ever.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hakko-808-desoldering-gun-is-amazing?tu=pinball4ever and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.