Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by dtown
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

after.jpg
    before.jpg
    CameraZOOM-20140727211725361.jpg
    CameraZOOM-20140727211916686.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dtown.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 9 years ago

Bump for this great tool. I bought one about a year ago when the Pinside discount was going on (which is a recurring thing) and I used it for the first time today. I was rebuilding the high voltage section of a WPC DMD controller board on my Getaway which has seen some hard times over the years. Burn marks tell the tale. The Hakko 808 sucked the solder out with ease and no damage to any of the plated through holes. I just used a small flathead screwdriver to "pop" the component leads away from the board if they were still sticking.

One piece of advice for a new user: Read the instructions first and follow them for using the tool and cleaning.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

The 808 is an amazing tool. I recommend it. However, it's not a perfectly well-designed device.
    It has one major flaw. The adjustment part that you rotate with a tiny screwdriver, is plastic, and it shreds with the lightest touch. I asked the guys doing the group sale on the 808s, and they tried to rotate the part on theirs, and theirs shredded apart too.
    When searching for a reasonable solution, I was advised that a replacement part costs $60. I was disappointed that we didn't come up with a more favorable solution for the buyer.
    Watch out... Be extremely careful when you rotate yours, and be very very careful with it. Perhaps the solution is to use a plastic screwdriver instead of a metal one. I presume in the future they'll move to a metal part to turn that can't melt/shred...
    Perhaps the design flaw has already been addressed in a better unit. I haven't looked into it.
    -mof

Yea. I noticed it was extremely flexible to where it could be torn easily. I think some people may be inclined to use the little cleaning screwdriver that comes in the kit. DO NOT! Like mof said, maybe a plastic one. I used a small Craftsman one with the width being almost as wide as the slot and applied very little pressure to turn.

That being said, I set it to "3" and don't see myself changing it. I hope.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dtown.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hakko-808-desoldering-gun-is-amazing?tu=dtown and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.