Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by fosaisu
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20200430-142718.png
    Brian_Bosworth_mullet_hairstyle (resized).jpg
    20200425_131636 (resized).jpg
    2D1B7964-7FCF-480F-A223-4CE09279C30E (resized).jpeg
    30EBB1BA-BD3B-41EE-96AA-696473D24FD9 (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

Since several folks have mentioned they are in need of a hair cut, I thought I would put this out there: for those brave enough to attempt self-haircuts, are there any hair clippers that you would recommend?

#2 3 years ago

Wahl brand, an American Company. Keep the economy moving in Sterling, Illinois.

#3 3 years ago

I have a very simple haircut. #3 all over and clean up the neck with #0. Finally was able to do it myself about a week ago. $52 on amazon but you’ll have to wait almost 2 weeks. Very easy and I highly recommend. HC4250 by Remington

30EBB1BA-BD3B-41EE-96AA-696473D24FD9 (resized).jpeg30EBB1BA-BD3B-41EE-96AA-696473D24FD9 (resized).jpeg
    #5 3 years ago

I buy the cheap Wahl set down at the store...of course I still have the scissors & guards from all the sets before.

#6 3 years ago

I'm in the market as well and think I'm going with a Wahl Magic Clip 5 star. I can get new ones in the box off offerup for $120 in SD. I used Wahls my whole life.

#7 3 years ago

I have a friend thats a beautician in a pretty high scale salon and she swears by this set of horse clippers that you can get at Farm and Fleet. She said the consumer end clippers don't last and don't cut as well. She uses pro clippers in her salon but recommends these for a cheap home clipper.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/673535-wahl-show-pro-plus-corded-equine-clipper-kit.html?blaintm_source=google&blaintm_medium=lia&setstore=35&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhZr1BRCLARIsALjRVQM4YQd5KBznG8j4tX7wfHQGR1JhT0Z3pmifQG0ZIHSTwd2DiELwx8EaAgBcEALw_wcB

#8 3 years ago

Wahl clippers with multiple heads. Mine came with a wider head and guards that worked great.

Couple days ago I started with a #3 guard planning to just clean up around the edges. It worked so well that I just kept going further until I was committed to a full cut. Blending the top and back was slow gong but it actually looks decent.

#9 3 years ago

I opted for the full #3 mighty fine as well. Going to try a #1 tomorrow just to compare. Only hard part is getting the neck by yourself

Cheap $15 Wahl beard trimmer has been working for a few years no prob. Also have a new backup ready to go, as soon as I saw this lockdown was going to be an extended thing.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

I have a very simple haircut. #3 all over and clean up the neck with #0. Finally was able to do it myself about a week ago. $52 on amazon but you’ll have to wait almost 2 weeks. Very easy and I highly recommend. HC4250 by Remington[quoted image]

I second this. Really good.

#12 3 years ago

I made it to 40 without visiting a barbershop, and have been my boys’ barber as well so far, so lots of experience with home clipping here.

The cheap Wahl clippers work fine, I used them for years and would just toss and replace when one started giving me trouble. But I recently upgraded to an Oster Classic 76 I found on Craigslist, and it’s pretty damn sweet. You can feel the difference when you pick it up and switch it on, nice and heavy and a powerful hum. It glides through hair with none of the resistance or pulling you can get from cheaper clippers, rarely needs a second pass. Made in the USA and they’re supposed to last forever.

Not cheap, but if you have the scratch and think you might still want to cut your own after the barbershops reopen, I’d highly recommend the Oster Classic 76. It’s on sale here in a sweet camo finish:
    https://www.ebeautyinc.com/p/oster-heritage-classic-76-limited-edition-hair-clipper/

You’ll also need to pick up the blade lengths you want -- or get a set of plastic guards which are much cheaper than the individual blades, and still work very well IMO -- if you want something longer than 000:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001T0HHB0/

#13 3 years ago

My brother has and still uses one of these and it is one of the originals from when they first came out.

#14 3 years ago
    2D1B7964-7FCF-480F-A223-4CE09279C30E (resized).jpeg2D1B7964-7FCF-480F-A223-4CE09279C30E (resized).jpeg
    #16 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Wahl brand, an American Company. Keep the economy moving in Sterling, Illinois.

If made in USA is important to you, that $20 Wahl at Walmart is almost definitely made in China (just check the box). Wahl still makes lots of things in Illinois, but I’m guessing you’d have to move up to their pro grade clippers if that’s what your looking for (same deal with Oster and probably most larger companies that still manufacture in the States).

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

My brother has and still uses one of these and it is one of the originals from when they first came
    out.

Same here,it's an excellent invention! I'm not sure if the new ones are as good as the original?

#18 3 years ago

I bought these a few weeks ago. My wife was able to do my hair very well with these and she never used clippers before..

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wahl-extreme-grip-pro-hair-clipper-black-silver-yellow/6323171.p?skuId=6323171

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

What about good skizzorz?

I've had these for four years.
    They work great.

Professional Barber Hair Cutting Scissors/Shears (6.5 Inches) with Fine Adjustable Tension Screw and Detachable Finger Rest - Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008TBTAAI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_QSiQEbV6VWBFP

#20 3 years ago

Been cutting my own hair for years. I highly recommend getting a cordless trimmer if you are doing it yourself. Otherwise the cord will tangle and get in your way. I've had good luck with this Wahl set, but I think there may be a newer version now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058SY1X6/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_32iQEbKKNYSGP

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

What about good skizzorz?

I'm partial to Fiskars, probably because that's what my mom used to cut my hair when I was a kid. But I'm using a pair now and they're solid. Seem to have shot up in price on Amazon though, they were $15 when I bought mine in January.
    https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-859487-Hairdressing-Scissors-Left-Handed/dp/B001BYELZY

#22 3 years ago

I’ve shaved my head for 30 years and have always used a Wahl.

#23 3 years ago

I've been cutting my kid's hair for the last 14 years with various clippers including wahl. But none of them compare to an Oster 76 with metal blades. The combs have no chance of falling off. I've done about $3k in haircuts with them and I wouldn't use anything else.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

If made in USA is important to you, that $20 Wahl at Walmart is almost definitely made in China (just check the box). Wahl still makes lots of things in Illinois, but I’m guessing you’d have to move up to their pro grade clippers if that’s what your looking for (same deal with Oster and probably most larger companies that still manufacture in the States).

I said they are an American Company. They now have global manufacturing sites so they can compete in the $20.00 clipper market as well as the $200.00 clipper market.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

I have a very simple haircut. #3 all over and clean up the neck with #0. Finally was able to do it myself about a week ago. $52 on amazon but you’ll have to wait almost 2 weeks. Very easy and I highly recommend. HC4250 by Remington[quoted image]

By far the best clipper I’ve ever used.
    Really wide and cordless and stays sharp, charge lasts for 5 or 6 shaves.
    Takes me less than 2 minute to get the job done.

#26 3 years ago

You guys cutting your kid’s hair must not have tween or teenage girls.

#27 3 years ago

I have definitely been thinking about this.

In truth, how hard is it to cut your own hair? I've never attempted.
    Do you need more than one mirror( guessing yes to see the back of your head).

I'm looking shabby but still have to go to work...afraid I'll make a bigger mess than what it looks like now though.

Normally just get cheap, basic cut for $15, but they always use scissors....what are my chances?

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Depends what kind of cut you have.
    Clippers are easier for me to use by yourself, as opposed to having to hold the hair up with a comb, and then scissor along it.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Depends what kind of cut you have.
    Clippers are easier for me to use by yourself, as opposed to having to hold the hair up with a comb, and then scissor along it.

and that makes sense...I guess they do it because my hair is thin on top, and bozo the clown on the sides...

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

...I guess they do it because my hair is thin on top, and bozo the clown on the sides...

If you don't have much of a fade/blend going from the side to the top, it could be pretty simple.

#32 3 years ago

not a chance...too funny!!!

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

If you don't have much of a fade going form the side to the top, it could be pretty simple.

Maybe the colored clippers and ease into it...sides and back are kinda an uneven bush, then thin to bald spot on top.

No way I can work scissors on the back of my head

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Do you need more than one mirror( guessing yes to see the back of your head).
    I'm looking shabby but still have to go to work...afraid I'll make a bigger mess than what it looks like now though.
    Normally just get cheap, basic cut for $15, but they always use scissors....what are my chances?

It's pretty simple if you're OK with a buzz cut or basic fade (you can't really fuck up a buzz cut, but if you want the fade, check out youtube for some tips that you'd otherwise have to learn by giving yourself a few bad haircuts).

Hardest part is the back of the neck, where you're either using a two-mirror system (bathroom vanity plus a hand mirror) or going by feel. It's completely doable, but if you've got someone else in the house willing to do that part it's easier. I cut my own hair for many years but always got my wife to do the back once we moved in together.

Quoted from MK6PIN:

sides and back are kinda an uneven bush, then thin to bald spot on top. No way I can work scissors on the back of my head

To me you sound like a great candidate for a simple buzz, pick your blade length (start with 5 or so, you can easily go shorter if you want) and have at it.

#35 3 years ago

Well Shit this is what just happened to me ...Brian_Bosworth_mullet_hairstyle (resized).jpgBrian_Bosworth_mullet_hairstyle (resized).jpg

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

It's pretty simple if you're OK with a buzz cut or basic fade (you can't really fuck up a buzz cut, but if you want the fade, check out youtube for some tips that you'd otherwise have to learn by giving yourself a few bad haircuts).
    Hardest part is the back of the neck, where you're either using a two-mirror system (bathroom vanity plus a hand mirror) or going by feel. It's completely doable, but if you've got someone else in the house willing to do that part it's easier. I cut my own hair for many years but always got my wife to do the back once we moved in together.

To me you sound like a great candidate for a simple buzz, pick your blade length (start with 5 or so, you can easily go shorter if you want) and have at it.

I'm going for it this weekend...can't be worse than what it is now..

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

You guys cutting your kid’s hair must not have tween or teenage girls.

3 boys.

#38 3 years ago

I received one of these last week and it worked fine. At the time I ordered it, it was about the only decent cordless clippers I could get delivered in a couple of days with spending a good bit more.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YZ5YF1N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_6DWQEb3CF7RWB

I just walked out into the 40 acre field behind my house, clipped on a gaurd and just started cutting. I normally get a buzz cut anyways..

#39 3 years ago

Who's with me, I'm not getting a haircut until things are back to normal?

Screenshot_20200430-142718.pngScreenshot_20200430-142718.png
    #40 3 years ago

lmao!!! "It's cousin IT"

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from Niterider:

I just walked out into the 40 acre field behind my house, clipped on a gaurd and just started cutting. I normally get a buzz cut anyways..

Gave yourself the old “Back 40,” eh? I like it!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hair-clipper-recommendations?hl=djshakes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.