Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by ssathre
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_6961_(Custom).JPG
    DSC_6922_(Custom).JPG
    photo_(3).JPG
    photo_(2).JPG
    photo_(1).JPG
    #1 12 years ago

And shared a ride with Marlyn, Gorbie, Santa, Drac, and Pinbot. Bought a Taxi from someone from MI yesterday, met him at the Expo and took delivery. Mechanically, it seems to be 100%, with a possibility of a flipper rebuild in it's future. That left ramp is tough to carry. Cosmetically, it's rough. There is wear around the pop bumpers and where the ball comes out of the ramps onto the inner rollover lane, and the inserts have wear. The usual plastics need replaced. The thing that I don't know about is the paint outside of the mylared area. It's yellowed and has some cracking.

Those of you that have restore experience, would this area clean up with a lot of polishing, or is this going to need repainted?

photo_(1).JPGphoto_(1).JPG photo_(2).JPGphoto_(2).JPG

#2 12 years ago

I have one in my basement that looks exactly the same. I have tried everything and the color won't come back. i was planning on repainting it but I thought better of it and found a replacement PF.

#3 12 years ago

A Magic Eraser (melamine foam) wetted with isopropyl alcohol will do wonders on those areas. Go easy, the foam is mildly abrasive and if you are too aggressive you will eat through the lacquer top coat. After you get it cleaned, it will be dull and have a white film on it. Clean off the film and it will still be dull. You'll think you messed it up. But polish it with a very mild auto polish and the shine will come back. I use Treasure Cove's Power Cut #1 to polish after cleaning with the foam.

If you are going to do a Mylar removal and clearcoat, you can be pretty aggressive with the foam and get it really clean since you aren't concerned if you remove the lacquer top coat. If you just want to clean the area, err on the safe side and clean until it looks nice.

Practice on a spot under a plastic or a ramp if you are worried. The results are worth it though, it really helps.

#4 12 years ago

Is this an example of getting too aggressive with the Magic Eraser?

photo_(3).JPGphoto_(3).JPG

#5 12 years ago
    Quoted from Dewey68:

Is this an example of getting too aggressive with the Magic Eraser?

That's an example of being too aggressive with sandpaper.

#6 12 years ago

that was pretty bad, your original question, I do not think that PF is that bad. Not bright but still in good condition

#7 12 years ago

Forgot, congrats on the new pin

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

That's an example of being too aggressive with sandpaper.

Yeah, I figured. I really wasn't rubbing all that hard either, melamine foam is more aggressive than I thought, or I'm strong like bull, or dumb like bull, or all of the above.

My immediate plans are to get the mylar up, as it's peeling on a few edges and affecting the ball's path. I was going to order the decal sheet for the inserts, but I don't know now, I may just touch up the bare areas and keep it waxed. If CPR releases repro playfields I may go that route. I have a friend who is an artist, I'll ask her if she thinks she can touch up the playfield after putting new decals on. If she'll do it for a reasonable fee, I'll do that and clear coat it.

This may not be a long term pin for me. My wife has set a limit of two pins in the house. Taxi is not the hardest game around, but I love the theme, music, etc.

Thanks for the congrats absocountry2. I got it at a good price, so I wasn't expecting a great playfield. The seller posted good pictures and it is a "player's machine".

Oh, one more question (this is turning into a technical help post). The inserts have a spider web look to them. Will these polish out?

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from Dewey68:

If CPR releases repro playfields I may go that route.

Just an FYI. I contacted them about 3 months ago to see about the status on the taxi playfield. They said that if their artist submitted his work today it would be at least 3 years before it was cut.

#10 12 years ago

As to your original question, the yellowing is primarily a discoloration of the clear coat. Unfortunately, it's not something you can clean away. Unless you rub the cc off, as you unfortunately learned.

Quoted from Dewey68:

The inserts have a spider web look to them. Will these polish out?

No, at least in my experience. It's usually not the inserts themselves, but the cracked/fractured clearcoat on top of the inserts. To do it "right" involves removing them and basically restoring them by sanding/polishing with increasingly fine paper/polish.

#11 12 years ago

As examiner stated, the yellowing won't disappear, but you can get the dirt out with the foam, which really helps. Here's some work I did on BOP. Click and download the images at the bottom rather than looking at them using the forum software. It isn't night and day, but it is definitely an improvement.

DSC_6922_(Custom).JPGDSC_6922_(Custom).JPG DSC_6961_(Custom).JPGDSC_6961_(Custom).JPG

#12 12 years ago

Did you end up clear-coating your BOP Stangbat? I'd love to see some finished pictures of it.

#13 12 years ago

No, no clear coat. Tore it down, cleaned it up, and touched up some areas.

Pics here:
    http://kcpins.com/archives/309

If you want to see anything else, let me know.

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from ssathre:

I have one in my basement that looks exactly the same. I have tried everything and the color won't come back. i was planning on repainting it but I thought better of it and found a replacement PF.

My taxi was discolored too. The treasure cove polishing kit brought it back to like new swirl marks carbon tracks and mylar came up sniny and new. I swear by the stuff now.

The guy I sold it to actually said when he saw it " That playfield looks amazing, is it a repro one?"
    I said "No, I just cleaned it up." His response, " I have never seen one that shiny."

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

My taxi was discolored too. The treasure cove polishing kit brought it back to like new swirl marks carbon tracks and mylar came up sniny and new. I swear by the stuff now.

The guy I sold it to actually said when he saw it " That playfield looks amazing, is it a repro one?"
    I said "No, I just cleaned it up." His response, " I have never seen one that shiny."

that's awesome! mine is to far gone for that though and I suspect more damage than just UV and grime. you can rub your finger on the spots without Mylar and the paint starts to powder off. I'm thinking that it got wet at some point.

the good part is that a fellow pinsider (out-west) has a restored and CC replacement that he's selling me. now I'm actually looking forward to swapping out the playfield and refinishing the cabinet over the winter.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hailed-a-cab-yesterday and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.