Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 112 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by RA77
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7125D8B3-BC05-4EA8-A60E-7E84511248C8 (resized).jpeg
    Haggis playfield (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20200121_235955~01 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    822F7E48-D642-423B-B425-7C4D539837A4 (resized).png
    77218F67-E827-49F9-8AAE-8020230DA3AC (resized).jpeg
    20200106_164901 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HaggisPinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

So a few guys figured this out in less than 18 months with no experience and how long has Stern been in business?

About three months actually

Truth be told, there's not a lot that is truly new in pinball. There has been various versions of what we've designed, used on pinball machines in the past. We've just taken modern materials, worked with what we thought would be the best and most achievable outcomes, made a couple of enhancements and brought it all together.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

My understanding is that even though games have been ordered - they where being held back to make sure all production versions have this new playfield method. So yes, this is for production

Yup - all production machines will have this playfield

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from RatShack:

That rolling test rig is interesting. I'd like to see a rig that uses a flipper to launch the ball so it's skidding and spinning across the surface instead of gently rolling.
    Must be a newer generation plexiglass vs what Bally used for Elektra.

I feel a new test coming up

#20 4 years ago

Thanks to Cary for posting the review
    I clarified a couple of points on the YouTube clip, so thought I would add them here as well:

Hi Cary - thanks for making the video - much appreciated

Just to clarify a couple of points:
    1. Acrylic layer is 4.5mm (so a little under a 1/4 inch)
    2. The plywood layer is 9mm, so I end up at a standard thickness playfield so standard mechs still fit
    2. The test rig at the time I filmed that was at 504,000 passes (with a small double tap at the end of one pass, so that section probably double that) - it's now currently over 800,000 and there is no wear. That mark you can see is actually a dust line and cleans off with some IPA - I probably should have cleaned it first but I did literally take it off while filming. Interestingly, the ball spends the majority of it's time rolling up and down the middle, the vibrations sometimes shim it to one side, which of course it decided to do when I filmed it

Cheers,
    Damian

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Hey Haggis, I’m out of the loop but I’m very glad you guys are still trucking along. I really don’t pay attention to most pinball upstarts because it’s always seemed to head the same way...
    So for someone who’s out of the loop.
    What games are you producing, how close are you to cranking out games and how many have you designed?
    Will you be producing them or going through an existing manufacturer?

Just one game currently: Celts

Will have some production games at TPF and at least one at MCG, so come along and have a flip if you're there. Production is currently to order, and we'll be firing up the line once we get back from the shows

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

I truly hope as many people who are currently in the position to buy new games order and support you guys!
    Do you have any dream themes you would like to work on/create in the future? Actually don’t answer that we don’t want them being snapped up

Thanks and yes, and don't worry, I wont

#29 4 years ago

Thanks all

@noob-a-tron new playfield, retiring undefeated is a good idea
    @Dr-pin we are using a scratch resistant acrylic - comfortably stood up to a steel wool scratch test

#60 4 years ago

Thanks for all the responses all

Some really good questions and points to be discussed. I'll shoot another video this weekend and we'll try to go through and respond to them all

Cheers,
    Damian

#98 4 years ago

Hi all - thanks for the commentary

I'm planning on making another video this weekend to respond to a lot of the questions that have been asked, as well as go a little more into the method of manufacture.

Cheers

2 weeks later
    1 month later
    #102 4 years ago

Hi Rensh,

To clarify, the three options are (from you post above):

1) classic wood-only playfield as we all now
    2) wood + acryl with anti-scratch layer
    3) wood + acryl + clearcoat.

So option 3 isn't using the scratch resistant coating, just standard acrylic with a clear coat. Option three was for those that didn't want to play on an acrylic top, but wanted to retain a clear coat feel/finish, without the worry of dimpling, etc..

The prototype we had a Chicago Expo (the video still you posted), was a traditional playfield, so has our faceted inserts installed. Both of the Hybrid options (HySR and HyCC) will also have the same inserts installed, just via a different mounting method.

Cheers,
    Damian

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HaggisPinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haggis-pinball-defeats-dimpling-and-pooling-with-sledgehammer-test?tu=HaggisPinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.