D629AA86-8E2E-4156-8C6A-D1C5CCF26540 (resized).jpeg
the pinball show logo (resized).JPG
76B55F5E-97BD-4A66-8256-2C29FC9505D2 (resized).jpeg
B28B8FAD-AE32-4B0F-9260-E1052257D1B8 (resized).jpeg
94837252-0919-40BF-8895-7916D50488B8 (resized).jpeg
175722588_282770560131871_1575989027804476973_n (resized).png
RHiD0K65NxxLO.gif
011DE26F-7852-474D-A76F-F53290CB012D (resized).jpeg

There are 150 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 14 days ago
Quoted from edward472:

What's stopping someone from copying the roms off the Mermaid edition and popping them into the standard edition. I wonder if there will be any sort of rom protection.

That's what I've been wondering myself! I'm going to guess the Mermaid version will use the second screen and that is absent altogether from the regular version.

#102 14 days ago

Can multiple threads on the same topic be combined?

#103 14 days ago

The Aha Yes DUDE must be gone on 2.0!!!

#104 14 days ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

The Ahh Yes DUDE must be gone on 2.0!!!

I love that call out... lol... I love the sound on the original.

#105 14 days ago

Pricing isn't too bad if you consider what a restored original goes for. Curious to see what the 2.0 code looks like.

Do you think they will sell out all 250 units?

#106 14 days ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

Pricing isn't too bad if you consider what a restored original goes for. Curious to see what the 2.0 code looks like.
Do you think they will sell out all 250 units?

In todays market I could see all 250 Mermaids selling out quickly because of the 2.0 code alone. 10K used to be a joke but is slowly becoming the new norm with exception to Stern pro's.

#107 14 days ago

Who is manufacturing? They’ve never produced at the scale this will sell at.

#108 14 days ago

Well, one of my buddies not on pinside just told me he was ordering one, so there is atleast 1 coming to the states.

#109 14 days ago
Quoted from chooch:

In todays market I could see all 250 Mermaids selling out quickly because of the 2.0 code alone. 10K used to be a joke but is slowly becoming the new norm with exception to Stern pro's.

20k by Christmas

#110 14 days ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

Fathom is just THAT GOOD and my machine is ultra dialed in. I haven't found another Fathom that plays as good as mine so letting it go would be very hard.

Exactly. I had a CPR playfield at one point, but I swapped it for a nice Abra Ca Dabra. A few years later I had the opportunity to play the game that playfield ended up in, and it just didn’t feel right. I’m probably biased, but I’m happy with my lightly worn original playfield. And how are they going to reproduce that early Bally flipper feel? It’s definitely something unique.

[EDIT: the answer was in the interview:

“Underneath the playfield we have designed and manufactured recreations of the original mechs, along with adding in some new components from our existing catalogue”]

#111 14 days ago

So many questions on here, and most of the answers are in the information release from Haggis.

#112 14 days ago
Quoted from Isjack:

MM AFM and MB all commanded significantly more than their remake price (~$8-15k if I recall correctly). If anything, I think my Fathom just went up in value by creating a new $7.5k baseline. And that's for a remake.
$3k won't happen.
The biggest benefit to this being made is that people might be able to finish restores with parts becoming available.

No they don’t

#113 14 days ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

No they don’t

I think his point is that at the time of release MM, AFM, and MB were priced higher then the remake. You could buy a new game for less then the price of an original. Here the new game costs more then an original, thus his argument that the price of the originals will not be affected in the same way.

#114 14 days ago

How much will shipping be to the USA? Thanks he prototype pics look pretty damn beautiful.

#115 14 days ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I think his point is that at the time of release MM, AFM, and MB were priced higher then the remake. You could buy a new game for less then the price of an original. Here the new game costs more then an original, thus his argument that the price of the originals will not be affected in the same way.

Correct.

#116 14 days ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Well...if it is Fathom, well done to Kaneda for spoiling the release of a bunch of down-to-earth guys who have risked everything and busted their butts for a year during the pandemic to get a new game out...I guess

People who think like this are so lost. This is freaking pinball. Don't be so serious. Far more important things get leaked well in advance and for good reason. People are curious and this just gets the hype train going even more.

#117 14 days ago

This is a smart move by Haggis and I think it's what many wished Stern would have done with their classic titles. Beatles was along those lines but I think many would have preferred Seawitch 2.0 at a smaller price tag then Beatles.

#118 14 days ago

I would jump in on a remade Centaur or Medusa in a heartbeat if done right.

#119 14 days ago
Quoted from delt31:

People who think like this are so lost. This is freaking pinball. Don't be so serious. Far more important things get leaked well in advance and for good reason. People are curious and this just gets the hype train going even more.

How does him talking about rumors hours before an official announcement help at all? What is this hype train and how did it improve things to start like eight hours early with rumors from a less than reputable source?

#120 14 days ago

To rich for my blood. Especially when you can get really nice originals for far less.

#121 14 days ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

How much will shipping be to the USA? Thanks he prototype pics look pretty damn beautiful.

Price includes free shipping to Planetary Pinball.

#122 14 days ago
Quoted from Metalthrashinmad:

Price includes free shipping to Planetary Pinball.

Yes, we will basically be the drop-shipping for Haggis (details to be worked out) to help lower the ship costs for US orders. We ship ALOT of games (remakes) and freight is usually $150-$400 (+/-) and use reliable carriers (Fedex, ABF, etc). Our location is NV.

#123 14 days ago

USA games will be shipped to Planetary Pinball at no charge and distributed from there. Planetary Pinball is located in Sparks Nevada so normal shipping rates from there.

I order a Mermaid Fathom this morning.

** Gawd damn it, Rick. You spoiled my post by a minute.

#124 14 days ago

So if you bought a Mermaid today... when would you receive it in the USA?

#125 14 days ago

What was the last reproduction of an older pin? King of Diamonds? I really like where this is heading, if it means I’ll get to own a Quicksilver or StarGazer some day.

#126 14 days ago

Is there a Canadian distributor for these? Nitro Pinball?

#127 14 days ago

I’m in! #14 babay. Let hope the topper doesn’t disappoint

#128 14 days ago

Free shipping to SF on mermaid editions... So that makes up a lot of the delta there.

#129 14 days ago

Jumped on the Mermaid edition and will offset the costs by selling my pre-restoration Fathom and all the parts (playfield, NEW cabinet, etc). The 2.0 rules and not needing to do the restoration work myself made this an insta-buy for me.

#130 14 days ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Jumped on the Mermaid edition and will offset the costs by selling my pre-restoration Fathom and all the parts (playfield, NEW cabinet, etc). The 2.0 rules and not needing to do the restoration work myself made this an insta-buy for me.

How do we order ? Pre order link

#131 14 days ago

How do we order ? Pre order link

Right now only way is through the fan club. So another $80 on top of the price of the game.

#132 14 days ago

I realize prices are crazy, and Haggis is a very small company...but this price..versus the game? I wish them luck, but I can't believe anyone other than people wanting to try to flip it for rarity buying at this price point.

#133 14 days ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Sounds cool! Plus, the playfields will never chip or pool.

It is a hardtop you realize? It’s a plastic/ply Playfield. Definitely plays different than an original one.

#134 14 days ago
Quoted from cooked71:

It is a hardtop you realize? It’s a plastic/ply Playfield. Definitely plays different than an original one.

You saying these new games are going to be a hard top ? No Frickin' way

#135 14 days ago
Quoted from cooked71:

They've got a video on their YouTube channel saying they will offer 3 types of playfields on their games, not sure if that apply's to Fathom or no... one standard wood with clear coat, one with their version of the "hard top" and one with the "hard top" and clear applied on top. The standard version is the "hard top" (I'm going to stop putting that in quotes now ). The wood one was a $500 AUD up charge but I didn't remember the combo up charge.

#136 14 days ago
Quoted from roar:

They've got a video on their YouTube channel saying they will offer 3 types of playfields on their games, not sure if that apply's to Fathom or no... one standard wood with clear coat, one with their version of the "hard top" and one with the "hard top" and clear applied on top. The standard version is the "hard top" (I'm going to stop putting that in quotes now ). The wood one was a $500 AUD up charge but I didn't remember the combo up charge.

Yeh, I remember that - that was for Celts I think. I really hope we have a normal wood/clear Playfield option for this also. Can’t see them offering so many choices for larger scale manufacturing though. Apart from making the Playfields, the hassle of different assembly techniques wouldn’t make sense in scale.

#137 14 days ago

You saying these new games are going to be a hard top ? No Frickin' way

To each their own but I love it and it's one of the main reasons I'm a buyer.

Bally Pinball did a similar process for their Elektra game in 1981 and Damian mentions that in the attached video. You don't see Elektra owners complaining and most people don't even know about it.

IPDB link to Elekta: https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=778

Watch this video from Haggis for an explanation of their playfield process.

#138 14 days ago
Quoted from roar:

By the sounds of the flyer it may only be hardtop on offer this time - in any case I’ve emailed the question to Haggis.

D629AA86-8E2E-4156-8C6A-D1C5CCF26540 (resized).jpeg
#139 12 days ago
Quoted from cooked71:

By the sounds of the flyer it may only be hardtop on offer this time - in any case I’ve emailed the question to Haggis.
[quoted image]

Just confirming Hardtop only on remakes.

#140 11 days ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Watch this video from Haggis for an explanation of their playfield process.

Those gents are having way too much fun!! I caught myself smiling the whole time and started laughing when he started laughing.
I wish them the best and hope they sell a million of them as well as their other title that was recently released.
Timing/financials are off for me right now because of the impending move in 2 weeks but Fathom is the only other game that is a must add to my very small collection(WOZ, WW, F-14). Everything about that game is awesome for an older title and Fathom punches every ticket for me personally. I hope to be in a position to support them in the near future by buying one.
All pinball is good pinball to me. All these great manufacturers bringing us non stop entertainment and endless choices. There's definitely something for everyone.
Congratulations and wishing Haggis every success in the world.
r/
Mike

#141 11 days ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

And correct me if I'm wrong... this new production Fathom is a Decaled cabinet and not painted, correct?

It certainly looks that way in all the media I've seen...

Just like there are those who appreciate EM's, and those who like old SS, or early DMD... But this one feels a little "replicade" to me - not that there's anything wrong with that if it appeals to you. Me personally I'd like the original with the option to adapt a new ruleset to the board using that Nano board thingy. Somehow all the video distracts from the physical part of the mix...

But who knows - maybe if they come out with Centaur II.2 I'll need one to match my original

#142 10 days ago
Quoted from Zablon:

But who knows - maybe if they come out with Centaur II.2 I'll need one to match my original

Centaur III

#143 10 days ago

I for one think the pricing is decent as an Australian manufacturing effort. For the Americans here, we don’t unfortunately have the economies of scale in this kind of manufacturing you guys do or the rock bottom wages so many of you complain about. So the cost of this kind of manufacturing, especially by a boutique, fledgling company is significantly higher here unfortunately. Looking at the base model Fathom, the pricing seems pretty fair, especially when compared to what restored originals fetch. I’m in for a Mermaid personally though and don’t mind paying the $A11K, even if within a few grand of a NIB Stern premium title here.

#144 10 days ago
Quoted from Our_Man_in_Oz:

I’m in for a Mermaid personally though and don’t mind paying the $A11K, even if within a few grand of a NIB Stern premium title here.

The mermaid will be AU$12650 with GST in OZ though.

#145 9 days ago

I’d be in at the Mermaid pricing if there was a “Lighthouse Edition”. I love that crazy movie.

#146 8 days ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

The mermaid will be AU$12650 with GST in OZ though.

Ahhh it's $11.5K AUD according to their press release. You can't go and promote a retail price and then later slap on GST. The ACCC would be all over you...

When say shipping and taxes where applicable, this is to suit intl sales.

8E2C4F03-5D7E-4548-B50C-68A909052222 (resized).jpeg
#147 8 days ago
Quoted from Our_Man_in_Oz:

Ahhh it's $11.5K AUD according to their press release. You can't go and promote a retail price and then later slap on GST. The ACCC would be all over you...
When say shipping and taxes where applicable, this is to suit intl sales.
[quoted image]

I thought the same until I ordered one and went to pay the $1500 deposit and it was $1650.

#148 8 days ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

I thought the same until I ordered one and went to pay the $1500 deposit and it was $1650.

Yeah I picked that up on the deposit as well. I still think they'll be in hot water if they haven't advertised a GST inclusive price on the website. The ACCC is pretty clear about this stuff. If they are trying to hide behind the rules pertaining to B2B transactions, they are also making a mistake as they are selling to consumers in the majority of cases and do not make any distinction regarding B2B in the sales info.

https://www.accc.gov.au/business/pricing-surcharging/displaying-prices

https://lawpath.com.au/blog/is-it-legal-to-advertise-prices-without-including-gst

Example – Business advertising a product on their e-commerce site. The price must advertise as either ‘$330’ or ‘$300 plus $30 (GST) = $330.’

#149 7 days ago
Quoted from Our_Man_in_Oz:Yeah I picked that up on the deposit as well. I still think they'll be in hot water if they haven't advertised a GST inclusive price on the website. The ACCC is pretty clear about this stuff. If they are trying to hide behind the rules pertaining to B2B transactions, they are also making a mistake as they are selling to consumers in the majority of cases and do not make any distinction regarding B2B in the sales info.
https://www.accc.gov.au/business/pricing-surcharging/displaying-prices
https://lawpath.com.au/blog/is-it-legal-to-advertise-prices-without-including-gst

Definitely not compliant- possibly they could argue it was always intended to be a commercial piece of equipment.

It’s not ideal but I doubt anyone will report them.

#150 7 days ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Definitely not compliant- possibly they could argue it was always intended to be a commercial piece of equipment.
It’s not ideal but I doubt anyone will report them.

Yeah I'm no taxation expert but I would think you have to be fair clear in your sales information about being business to business. Don't know whether or not it's something you can cover off on afterwards if something comes up over it. But you're spot on there, it's pretty unlikely anyone will say anything and it's not like the ACCC or trawling the web for such things. It's not like one of the airlines copping a $200K penalty for an obvious well advertised breach.

There are 150 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside