D790E874-DB58-40A7-A4DA-93791E432724 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0411 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6697 (resized).jpg
IMG_5832 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5824 (resized).jpeg
giphy (2).gif
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_7282 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider d0n.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#257 1 year ago
Quoted from apessino:

After a week or so and a few dozen games on my Mermaid, I can safely say that I *love* this game!
I will confirm what is now old news: this is one of the most beautiful games ever made - the artwork, the intense lighting, the quality of every little detail... just amazing, it gives the highest end JJP CE editions a run for their money. I will add that it has what is easily the best sound system of any stock pin I've ever tried, ever.
I had no emotional attachment to the original. I can't even remember playing it much back in the 80s, but I am surprised how much fun the layout is, especially combined with the new game mode. I am glad they included the original rules, but I played the "classic" mode once and it was enough. Revisited is where it's at.
For negatives: air balls are a thing. I had a couple of gnarly hits to the glass. Then again, the playfield looks pretty much indestructible, so let them at it, I guess? So far I have not had any issues, other than the shooter rod assembly needing some adjustment - the rubber tip hits nowhere near the center of the ball, which makes for a very weak plunge. I have not adjusted it yet, but it should a trivial fix once I get to it. I had a couple of hard freezes; both of them at the endgame. They required a power cycle to get the machine back. A couple of other software niggles happened as well, but not regularly enough that I know exactly what was going on. Overall minor stuff.
That is it - overall, I think this machine is an instant classic. Love playing it, it's a ton of fun and it feels... different. Really different, but not for the sake of it or at the expense of pinball fun. It's a beautiful piece of mechanical art, a joy to shoot and it is really challenging, in that old fashioned slightly punishing way. It's a unique experience and it stands out in my lineup, and not just because the dimensions of the cabin make it sit so much lower and smaller than its peers. See the pics for proof.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You're welcome for that preorder spot! Glad you FINALLY GOT YOUR GAME.

#263 1 year ago
Quoted from apessino:

I just made a donation of $20,000.00.

Maybe you would have felt better if you bought Mr68's fathom mermaid that he had advertised for $30k? Because evidently, trying to flip a game for 3 times MSRP is OK but buying a $5000 preorder spot for the same game is just so horrible that you have to absolve your sins by making a well publicized $20k donation to a charity?! That's an interesting way to look at it. Rich people are strange.

Either way, I'm sure project pinball appreciates our donation.

#265 1 year ago

One persons "bad behavior" is another persons entertainment.

#273 1 year ago
Quoted from surfnrg:

I'm lost. What is all this about the Don? I hate missing out in good gossip.

I had 4 mermaid preorder spots. I was keeping one game for myself. I bought the preorders from pinsiders waaaay back (almost a year ago) when haggis stopped communicating publicly & missed every deadline they set for themselves. People were starting to get nervous and antsy that these games weren't going to be made. I took a chance and a financial risk to support haggis when others were bailing.

Many months later, I tried to resell a spot for $2500 on pinside and people here had an absolute fit... pig piling on me with burning pitchforks, ready to spread tar and feathers. I eventually sold one to apresso for $5000 he was very happy to have it. Pinside owner robin was probably happy too since I paid full price $50+ to sell a NIB pinball game on a pinside ad ...when it wasn't a game I sold, it was a preorder.

I guess apresso is filthy rich because he didn't balk at the $5k price and has since given a self publicized donation of $20,000 to a charity because he evidently felt bad for buying my preorder for $5000? I didn't really understand that but rich people can be very odd.

The other 3 spots were sold back to damian who then sold them to other people on his list. Those people are probably still waiting for their games just like so many here are.

I was a big haggis supporter early on until haggis started missing deadline after deadline and then they just quit giving public updates. That's when I began to call haggis out a bit and the pitchfork brigade got out their tar and feathers again.

Then, MR68 ...a guy who tried to collude with me to set a higher price on aftermarket NIB mermaids and I basically said NO... well, he jumped on the bandwagon and started smearing more tar and feathers on me than anyone... just because I was trying to make a small profit on my 3 preorders.

When his 2 mermaids get delivered what does he do? He puts one for sale on pinside for $30k with a cute little where's waldo game (that netted someone $100) so people would overlook the fact that he's doing something worse than anyone trying to make a SMALL profit selling a preorder. He tried to make $20k profit on a single mermaid but there was no pitchforks for him. Only admiration and affection.

Pinside is a weird weird place.

#274 1 year ago
Quoted from d0n:

I had 4 mermaid preorder spots. I was keeping one game for myself. I bought the preorders from pinsiders waaaay back (almost a year ago) when haggis stopped communicating publicly & people were starting to get nervous and antsy that these games weren't going to be made.
I tried to resell a few spots for a small profit and people here had an absolute fit... pig piling on me with burning pitchforks, ready to spread tar and feathers. I sold one to apresso for $5000 he was very happy to have it. I guess he's filthy rich because he didn't balk at the price and has since given a self publicized donation of $20k to a charity because he evidently felt bad for buying my preorder? I didn't really understand that but rich people can be very odd.
The other 3 spots were sold back to damian who then sold them to other people on his list and theosse people are probably still waiting for their games.
I was a big haggis supporter early on until haggis started missing deadline after deadline and then they just quit giving public updates. That's when I began to call haggis out a bit and the pitchfork brigade got out their tar and feathers again.
Then, MR68 ...a guy who tried to collude with me to set a higher price on aftermarket NIB mermaids and I basically said NO... well, he jumped on the bandwagon and started smearing more tar and feathers on me than anyone... just because I was trying to make a small profit on my 3 preorders.
When his 2 mermaids get delivered what does he do? He puts one for sale on pinside for $30k with a cute little where's waldo - guessing game (that netted someone $100) so people would overlook the fact that he's doing something worse than anyone trying to make a SMALL profit selling a preorder. He tried to make $20k profit on a mermaid but there was no pitchforks for him. Only admiration and affection.
Pinside is a weird weird place.

#306 1 year ago

There's a NIB mermaid on pinside now for $13,999. If someone has a preorder and has no idea when it will be ready to ship, sell the preorder to one of the many people looking to buy one and then go buy the NIB game in tampa florida.

Air freight shipping your mermaid to the USA is going to be around $2k +/- and the "free" sea-freight might take 6-12 months the way they're slowly packing a container.

This way, you'd have your game in hand almost immediately for slightly more money than if you waited many more untold months.

If you want to risk being tarred and feathered by the punkin mob... you could even sell the preorder for just enough profit to make up for the difference between the cost of your game and air shipping from haggis and the $13,999 NIB price.

Think smart guys.

If I didnt just buy a HEP banzai run, I'd grab that mermaid in Florida. $13,999 is a great price when you factor in the shipping to the USA is already paid.

20_G (resized).jpg20_G (resized).jpg
#309 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

I got a message that my game was nearly ready to ship. I paid 8-25-2022 so that's around 6 months paid to almost ready to ship. I can't believe how expensive air freight will be but to wait for a full container might be 6 months (I have no idea who the hell knows?).

Some of the 1st mermaids to land, landed in Florida & were around $1600 air freight. That was months ago though. How much is it now?

Youre in florida! Your game is "nearly" ready to ship (who knows what that means coming from damian?)! Sell your spot for $3k to the guy on pinside that has a wanted ad and go buy that NIB game in tampa for $14k. It'll be cheaper in the end and you'll have your game in days instead of weeks or months.

#318 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

I did ask. This was the answer:
Unfortunately, we don’t have a date for when a container would be sent as yet, as many customers are electing to send via air services.
——
They didn’t really tell me anything about the timeframe of the container shipping. They didn’t say how many it takes to fill up a container.
So I was prompted to do air freight because I didn’t want to wait another 6 months or longer.

They're almost 2 years into this project and still can't tell anyone when their game might ship using the advertised free shipping?

The free shipping offer was a great gimmick to help sell the Fathom. If Haggis had said shipping will be $2000 +/- to America BEFORE the nonrefundable deposit was taken, people might have looked at this entire thing differently. Especially, the flippers like MR68 and the others. $2000 chopped off the top of the profit is a HUGE chunk of money!

How much does it cost to ship a cargo container (20' or 40') from haggis to the USA currently? How many games could fit into said container? Divide game number into cost and come up with the number that damian SHOULD be knocking off the air freight bill for each customer. Is he actually doing this?

#321 1 year ago

Roughly 16 games fit in a 20' container which costs about $5500 from AUD to los Angeles... $350 per game.

Roughly 32 games fit in a 40' container which costs about $6100 from AUD to los Angeles ... $190 per game.

Logically, he's trying to fill a 40 footer which is why it's taking so long. He's undoubtedly giving the free shipping discounts on the 40' container price.

I'm sure buyers would rather he be filling a 20' container though.

(Kimmy just block me then you don't have to keep logging off & on to read & respond to what I say)

#324 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

That’s just it, there is no solidarity. Everyone wants it cheaper or faster but can’t have both. I know it’s irrational but I keep thinking what if Haggis disappears like Dutch did for a while or Highway did so I just figured get it while I can.

Sounds like you might not be going in on a season pass (or whatever they are calling it) then?!

#332 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

Yeah I doubt it. If the games that were for sale here on Pinside at $20-25K US were selling, that might have sparked another 2.0 version at a JJP-like higher price. There is obviously no FOMO demand. I've mentioned it before, but here in the USA there is literally zero buzz for this game or the series ticket outside of this thread. I bring up how great Mermaid looks to my friends and they kind of get a blank stare and say "that's nice" or "yeah I saw it at Expo but didn't play it" then go back to talking about Stern, American, CGC and Spooky.

Agreed. It's just not the $20k-$30k game we were all hoping it would be. NIB games are sitting unsold at $13,999. I truly believe that most of the reason for the low value & zero fomo is because of the way haggis has handled the production updates... or lack thereof.

At this rate, series ticket holders are gonna be ten years older (at minimum) than they are today when haggis makes that final 1980's bally remake.

I agree with the other poster that nobody is ever getting the advertised free shipping to PPS in nevada.

#333 1 year ago
Quoted from gprotein:

There was no “free shipping” promised to your door

Where did anyone say that haggis promised free shipping to your door?

It's more like an extra $1500 for shipping to your door if you opt for air over the free shipping.
$500 from PPS to your door in 6-12 months (if you're lucky) or $2k from haggis to your door via air in 10-12 days.

I had 4 preorders. If I'd have known the only way to get my games (if they were to ever be made) to the USA was via air freight for $2k each... $8k total... I wouldn't have bothered.

#335 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

I've mentioned it before, but here in the USA there is literally zero buzz for this game. I bring up how great Mermaid looks to my friends and they kind of get a blank stare and say "that's nice" or "yeah I saw it at Expo but didn't play it" then go back to talking about Stern, American, CGC and Spooky.

The fathom mermaid is so irrelevant and obscure that even the recent pinball awards forgot to add the game to the pinball awards voting list. Good job Damian!

#360 1 year ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

My pre order spot is up and have decided to stick with my original. Spot is for sale if anyone is looking, ad is posted.

It wasn't but a few months ago when the pitchfork mob absolutely lambasted me for listing an $1160 mermaid preorder for $2500. You're FIRM at $3000 for the same $1160 preorder.

I'm waiting for the mob to come along any minute now.

#362 1 year ago

Great price for a lightly used HUO mermaid. Even less than a NIB game would be after shipping. $10,500 OBO https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/152640

NIB Mermaid flippers be like... WAIT... SAY WHAAA?!

Cr1xMQaWYAErmq4 (resized).jpgCr1xMQaWYAErmq4 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
9,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Machine - For Sale
Mccordsville, IN
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Boerne, TX
Machine - For Sale
Sydney, NSW
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider d0n.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haggis-fathom-owners-club-dive-in?tu=d0n and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.