Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

smiley-laughing.gif
LOL.gif
B_R_slinger.gif

There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 12 years ago

5 balls................What kind of toxic water are you people drinking????? It's hard enough to walk with 3, never mind 5.

#52 12 years ago

I agree with Dude. I keep my games set at factory the way they were intended to be played. I turn off my buy-ins on them also. Just my preference.

#53 12 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

My TSPP should be a 5-ball game, but I like to challenge myself by going for a 3-ball game.

Can you complete it with 3?

#54 12 years ago

All of mine are set to 3 ball except the merciless Paragon!

#55 12 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

iceman44 said:SM is really easy so not really..
Sadly, after hours and hours of consideration, that is what made me decide to not include SM in a long term line up. I LOVE the game, it just wasn't challenging. I am having the same problem with JM. When I get either LOTR or (maybe) AFM back, hopefully the challenge level comes back up.
I know AFM isn't really considered challenging, it is just do DANG FUN!

Wanna make SM harder just set it up like PAPA does. Open up the lanes, remove outlane posts and have at it.

#56 12 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Can you complete it with 3?

That's my next goal. In two weeks, I've come close two times with the game set to 3 balls (completed all modes prior to power down). I've set JM back to 3 to keep trying. I only played 1 game at 5 balls, but I felt like I needed to confess (I did see that the maximum setting is 10!)

My 1977 Eight Ball is set to 5 balls. I am not interested in changing that because the ball times can be very short on that machine and I remember the old games always being set to 5 balls.

#57 11 years ago

Most of my games are set to five balls except - TOM and CFTBL, which seem too easy otherwise. Did this to SS and RS when I owned them too. LOTR is also set for three balls just because of long ball times. If someone complains about the five ball setup, I tell them to hit the start button after three, then everybody wins. If they think it is not fair for them to play on three and others five, I tell them it is because everyone else sucks and needs the handicap.

#58 11 years ago

3 ball was one of the reasons I lost interest in pins in the 80's and 90's. 3-ball was invented a pure profit-motive and only appeals to to corporate lickspittles! That being said, I'll set my machines the factory 3 ball spec and then when they start kicking my @ss too much, I'll set them to 5.

#59 11 years ago

By the way, no need to tape or rubber-band the outlanes. Just stick some socks in there!

#60 11 years ago

Out of curiousity, how long does a "good game" of TF take? As long as LOTR?

#61 11 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Out of curiousity, how long does a "good game" of TF take? As long as LOTR?

144Mil took about 15 min for me.

#62 11 years ago

Having both games...lotr is much longer. TF is fast and unrelenting. Lotr is a journey. It can easily be 20 minutes whereas a good game on TF 15 minutes

#63 11 years ago

5 Ball?!?

Most of the games I have require me to only use 3 balls. It says so right on the sticker "Install 3 Balls". A few say "Install 4 Balls", but none say 5!

Can I just put 5 in anyway?

-M

#64 11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback guys! That's why I don't get all the multiball progression complaints. If a decent game only takes 15 minutes, I can't see how it's a huge deal. Maybe I just need more time on the game.

#65 11 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

5 Ball?!?

Most of the games I have require me to only use 3 balls. It says so right on the sticker "Install 3 Balls". A few say "Install 4 Balls", but none say 5!

-M

They weren't talking about the number of balls installed INTO the game, but rather, how many balls the player will receive PER GAME. This is a setting that can be adjusted in the settings menu. Even though there may only be 1 ball in the game, you will get 5 turns.

#66 11 years ago

I'd perfer 5 ball and no extra ball on operated games against anything else. Atleast as a best setup to start with in order to attract people, giving players a chance to get to know the game and by this being hooked for more. And taking the extra ball objective off the menu, which certainly was all too important for me when I was novice player.

BTW, 5 ball games is and has always been standard in England as far as I know.

#67 11 years ago

I set up my Lethal Weapon 3 super hard. ha ha ha It's quite a challenge to break 50M, and my high is only about 80M. So far I'm loving the challenge because I'm practicing for pinburgh but I might loosen it up later.

#68 11 years ago

Had my machines set at 3 balls forever then changed them to 5 to see how it plays. Needless to say I am not going back to 3!

#69 11 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

I play 5 ball all the time.. You just have to earn a couple Extra Balls or more.

Love this quote! Thats what I strive for.

#70 11 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Forbelsop said:5 Ball?!?
-M
They weren't talking about the number of balls installed INTO the game, but rather, how many balls the player will receive PER GAME. This is a setting that can be adjusted in the settings menu. Even though there may only be 1 ball in the game, you will get 5 turns.

But if I put more balls in, won't they get all jammed up?

I remember in the arcades when I would get two balls in the shooting lane sometimes; is that because they added extra balls to the machine like you guys have done?

#71 11 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

5 Ball?!?
-M

no, that will throw off the ball count and screw up play. the machine will be always throwing another ball on the field thinking you drained or it had a failed launch. You can set the number of "tries" you get per credit to one, three, five, etc.

#72 11 years ago

Except for my demonic Bally Eight Ball, all my games are set to 3 ball with no ball saves. It'll make you a better player.

#73 11 years ago

Gotta be three balls if you want to compare yourself to other players score to see how you're doing. If that's not important to you then load as many as you can and have fun! That's what its all about right?

#74 11 years ago

I'm not great but hold my own. Mine are set on 5 ball for my friends that aren't players at all. They tend to lose interest if they can't get that far into the game. But I also believe you should set them the way you want so you enjoy them.

#75 11 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

Except for my demonic Bally Eight Ball, all my games are set to 3 ball with no ball saves. It'll make you a better player.

My 14 year old son gets sooooo frustrated with our Eight Ball. I still love the game, but it can eat my lunch. It can be so unforgiving that my 12 year old daughter can whip me sometimes. I've never set that machine to 3 balls. It was meant to be played on 5.

#76 11 years ago

I was considering setting my TSPP to 5, but I've only ever known 3-ball. It feels a bit like handicapping myself. I think I'll just keep it at 3-ball, it will be that much sweeter when I finally reach AI. It's something to strive for, I figure the game will have more staying power at 3-ball.

#78 11 years ago

I had IM on 10 ball for a few days... haha. I am pretty good on the pin now and its back at 3 ball..

#79 11 years ago

I have my machines set up for 5 ball. I'm not "married" to any of my pins. I hope to get to see all they have to offer then replace it and get to enjoy another title. I haven't had the problem of getting to portal, super duper extreme whatever in tspp or valinor so often that I'm bored with a title. So far the only pin that got "too easy" was STTNG and I happily traded it out so I could get the opportunity to experience another title.

#80 11 years ago

I set up my Joker Poker for 5 ball. I prefer that ruleset to the 3 ball.

#81 11 years ago
Quoted from mminnoch:

shock_me said:

My 14 year old son gets sooooo frustrated with our Eight Ball. I still love the game, but it can eat my lunch. It can be so unforgiving that my 12 year old daughter can whip me sometimes. I've never set that machine to 3 balls. It was meant to be played on 5.

I'm of the belief that Bally made over 20 thousand Eight Balls because the operators LOVED them. They must have made a fortune operating these drain monsters! I still love mine though because it was my firt game and my first total restoration. It makes much more sense to leave it on 5 ball, otherwise I'd prolly burn it..

#82 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

The_Gorilla said:iceman44 said:SM is really easy so not really..
Sadly, after hours and hours of consideration, that is what made me decide to not include SM in a long term line up. I LOVE the game, it just wasn't challenging. I am having the same problem with JM. When I get either LOTR or (maybe) AFM back, hopefully the challenge level comes back up.
I know AFM isn't really considered challenging, it is just do DANG FUN!
Wanna make SM harder just set it up like PAPA does. Open up the lanes, remove outlane posts and have at it.

Exactly. And this goes for pretty much any pin that anyone considers too easy, or not challenging enough. There are numerous ways to make a pin more challenging. In addition to open up the outlanes (even by removing the posts completely) there are plenty of other changes in the menu that can be made. Eliminate the ball saver for one. Require more shots to start certain modes. The list goes on....

#83 11 years ago

I normally have my early SS Bally games set to 5 ball. All the other games are set to 3 ball.

I like the system of earning extra balls instead of credits for Replays. I feel that it rewards a skilful game, and allows you to explore the deeper parts of a game's rule-set when you are playing well.

I had my TSPP set on 5 ball for a while, as I found it often drained unfairly.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/had-to-go-to-5-ball/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.