(Topic ID: 237801)

Had to fit new light sockets, now dealing with voltage drop issues.

By drsfmd

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by drsfmd
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drsfmd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Let me apologize in advance for the long winded explanation... skip to the end if you want a TLDR summary.

Game in question is a Genco "Criss-Cross-A-Lite"-- a 1930's vintage mechanical game, with electronic scoring, originally powered by a battery. When I acquired the machine I installed a transformer for reliability (and to avoid having to take the whole dang machine apart any time the battery needed to be changed!). The circuit is on for ~3 minutes, after which the game shuts off and the lights go out (by design).

The game originally used #40 bulbs. The bulbs screwed into a a thin piece of sheet steel that ran the width of the machine-- they were very poorly grounded and would flicker all the time. I went so far as to solder a wire to the bulb, and solder the other end of it to ground... and soldered the tip of the bulb to to a wire that I soldered to the original connectors. It wasn't pretty.

I searched for new #40 bulb holders, and the only ones I could find were like this: https://www.amazon.com/Sci-Supply-LC20505-10B-Bulb-Holder-Socket/dp/B077BWFDYG. These will not fit behind the backglass.

So... I removed all of the bulbs and installed #555 sockets and bulbs. Individually, the bulbs work fine, but they seem to be much more sensitive to voltage than their incandescent counterparts, and once 3 or more of them are lit, the light drops off dramatically. I'm a bit stumped about what I can do to compensate-- I know, I know... I could switch incandescent 555s in, but I'd prefer to not generate that heat if I don't have to.

Would a capacitor for each bulb solve this? And if so, how would I go about calculating the value? I(t) = C dv/dt... so if I'm thinking about this right, and approximate .1 amp draw for each bulb (it's probably smaller than that) it would be .1 * 180 (seconds)/ 6 (volts)... so a 3 farad (!) capacitor for each? That doesn't seem right.

TLDR: Experiencing voltage drop and LEDs aren't working. Can't figure out a reasonable solution.

#2 5 years ago

Ok, now I feel stupid. The problem was in the silly balancing ball tilt mechanism. Need to troubleshoot it, but at least I figured out where the problem lies.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drsfmd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/had-to-fit-new-light-sockets-now-dealing-with-voltage-drop-issues-?tu=drsfmd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.