Topic poll

“How dopey am I?”

• Very 0 votes
  • Very Very 0 votes
  • You are differently abled 1 vote
    100%

(Multiple choice - 1 vote)

#1 3 years ago

I was feeling pretty accomplished and a wee bit proud for a second before she put me back in my place.

I pulled the power driver board and fixed a previous repair that destroyed a component side trace between c6 and c7, replaced the board and all my lamps worked!

Upon powering up the test bonged at me telling me all my optos were stuck open. Researched here and the common theme seems to be fuse 103, someone said 106, pulled both and they are fine. All the lights on the opto board are dead, Jim. I am seeing 15 volts at j1, and my test points on the power driver board are ok.

I should have probably already said this, but the supercharger was in fact working before, and now not at all in supercharger test, and likewise for the optos in switch test.

If any kind soul might boot my ass in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. I very carefully labeled each connector to its corresponding jumper, and put them all back where they belong.

Bleh

#2 3 years ago

Plug the optos back in, you must have missed the molex connector when reconnecting the board.

It's a two prong connector if I remember correctly. It is small enough that it might be behind the board.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

Plug the optos back in, you must have missed the molex connector when reconnecting the board.
It's a two prong connector if I remember correctly. It is small enough that it might be behind the board.

I just... I just thought...

It was behind the board, BLESS YOU!

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Acronymicon:

I just... I just thought...
It was behind the board, BLESS YOU!

Before I pull the power driver board out of a WPC machine, I mark every connector, plus I use a red sharpie to mark all of the headers that have no connector.

That way when I put the board back in, if there is a header with no connector on it that is not red, there's a missing connector.

I've had connectors stuck under the board before too.

RM

#5 3 years ago

I have done this on my Whirlwind. Rebuilt power supply and replaced a component with mild acid on it. When I put the power supply and CPU/Driver back in the boot issues and sound issues were fine but I had no insert lights! After about 30 minutes of panicking trying to figure out what I could have blown up I found a darn connector behind the driver.... take a guess what it went to!

#6 3 years ago

Hahahaha, I am glad you got it resolved.

Ask me how I knew?

If you can fix a lamp matrix, you're no dope.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

Trade
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 72.50
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/had-no-lamp-matrix-on-my-new-getaway-fixed-it-only-to-break-my-optos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.