B720FE09-DC1D-4153-A121-9775317CD398 (resized).jpeg
3CC4239F-2D53-41A5-B677-A524AF0EFA8E (resized).jpeg
679551C1-CAC6-4EF9-ADFD-AA414A669F79 (resized).jpeg
E039F7CE-1CD8-4B7D-B2AD-7A47F73EAEAB (resized).jpeg
CD56A4CE-2F8E-423D-85AC-BF66A0EF4D24 (resized).jpeg
4DAF7636-C862-495B-B3B4-17726FCCDA0A (resized).jpeg
40DB9ED4-F2EB-4531-9E9D-1EE281DA7630 (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

Hello. I'm sure there have been other posts about hacks people have found in their games. I guess I could have looked a little closer before I bought this game but I got a good price on it, and I feel confident with early Bally SS.

I saw these two "bodge wires" made out of lite extension cord wire, leading from the left leg of c23 on the solenoid driver board to lower right side of BR2 on the Power transformer board, and another one from TP5 SD board to TP3 of Power Tx board. It seems these are to make up for a shredded molex plug on J20, the plug is literally in 3 pieces- but what are they trying to accomplish with this? The machine was running when I began my investigations.

Other than the two major bodge wires, there is another one I haven't traced yet from the huge transformer to somewhere on the power to board.

I noticed the seller had the game set for extra balls instead of extra games. I don't think I've ever seen that actually set. So when the knocker never went off I didn't think much of it. Of course when I re-attached wires to said knocker it was locked on. Well, at least he didn't burn that coil up. I've replaced Q3 in hopes of fixing the knocker lock-on.

I'll re-pin the wires to J3 plug, and hopefully make that whole again and see if it works without the two bodges to the SD board.

This all seems to surround the 11.9v +/- connections between the Sol Drv and the power board, Shredded J3.

C23 says it's a 20v. This bodge from negative side of C23 to BR2 negative It appears to be for the damaged A2J3 on the power board, this is for the -11.9v unregulated.

The other one- TP3 power board to TP5 SD board is the +11.9 v unreg, again for the damaged A2J3 plug.

Now looking at the pics more closely, I see a combination red, and Orange wires soldered to TP4 on the power regulator board! Orange and red are the colors for pins 10&11 of A2J3 again, the crux of the problem here. Hopefully these are still also attached to J3- but If they aren't there, I guess I know what they did with them.

Anyone see any flaws in my Diagnosis? All this bodge to get around just re-pinning a molex connector. Well, I guess it's better than the solder all the wires to the pins trick. At least this is fairly reversible.

Thanks for listening! Please let me know if I've gotten my wires crossed here- so to speak.

Pics to follow. Please forgive the dodgy photography- I'm about as good as a photographer as this guy was a pinball repair guy!

40DB9ED4-F2EB-4531-9E9D-1EE281DA7630 (resized).jpeg40DB9ED4-F2EB-4531-9E9D-1EE281DA7630 (resized).jpeg4DAF7636-C862-495B-B3B4-17726FCCDA0A (resized).jpeg4DAF7636-C862-495B-B3B4-17726FCCDA0A (resized).jpegCD56A4CE-2F8E-423D-85AC-BF66A0EF4D24 (resized).jpegCD56A4CE-2F8E-423D-85AC-BF66A0EF4D24 (resized).jpegE039F7CE-1CD8-4B7D-B2AD-7A47F73EAEAB (resized).jpegE039F7CE-1CD8-4B7D-B2AD-7A47F73EAEAB (resized).jpeg
#2 3 years ago

The ground return for the SDB 12v has an isolated dedicated wire back to the rectifier board instead of being tied to the main ground on the board. If I am looking at it right, this must have burned up at one or both ends so the "yellow" bodge wire in question is ground return from the SDB filter cap to the 12v bridge.

The orange and red to rectifier TP4 are 6.3vac GI bus wires. Wiring diagram page in the manual should help you figure out exactly where they should go.

Redo the rectifier board connectors and top right SDB connector. That should get you going with out the hack bodge wires. Consider doing the SDB ground mods as shown in repair guides as the 12v return does not need to be isolated and it takes some stress off two connector pins that are known to burn.

20a fuse clip is looking rough too. the PCB kind of looks like it may be scorched on the bottom clip like it is getting hot.

#3 3 years ago

Replaced the pins in the power board. I saw something that said the power "unit" was easy to remove, but dAmn! 6 bolts just for the shroud around the transformer, and another 5 maybe to get the rest of it out of there, and finally the 3 to take the Bridge/heat sink off of it mount.

When Inreplace the heat sinks, I am pretty sure o don't have any heat sink compound. Is that a necessity? Will the little bit that's left work?

I wasn't aware of a ground mod for the Bally's- but I've been bout of action for a few years. I know that a gottlieb pracuztically won't run without. Ground mod. But I suppose it makes some sense, I've seen Bally's blow out on a Burnt GI plug a few times.

I got about 5 pins into the 20 pin molex. Methodically piecing back together the wires he had pieces together with that brown ext cord wire. Christ speaker wire even!

Next maybe I'll do some d10 rims, and maybe some stylish white led displays. Possible one of Vid's polished hoops for the horseshoe.

Thanks for your help.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from bdPinball:

Replaced the pins in the power board. I saw something that said the power "unit" was easy to remove, but dAmn! 6 bolts just for the shroud around the transformer, and another 5 maybe to get the rest of it out of there, and finally the 3 to take the Bridge/heat sink off of it mount.
When Inreplace the heat sinks, I am pretty sure o don't have any heat sink compound. Is that a necessity? Will the little bit that's left work?
I wasn't aware of a ground mod for the Bally's- but I've been bout of action for a few years. I know that a gottlieb pracuztically won't run without. Ground mod. But I suppose it makes some sense, I've seen Bally's blow out on a Burnt GI plug a few times.
I got about 5 pins into the 20 pin molex. Methodically piecing back together the wires he had pieces together with that brown ext cord wire. Christ speaker wire even!
Next maybe I'll do some d10 rims, and maybe some stylish white led displays. Possible one of Vid's polished hoops for the horseshoe.
Thanks for your help.

Probably want new heat sink compound. The feature lamp bridge is the only one that gets really hot. If you plan on led feature lamps you can worry less about the heat sink compound, but I would probably find some.

Yes rebuilding the rectifier / transformer is quite a chore. It's not really complicated or hard, but tedious and usually necessary.

#5 3 years ago

Okay well I think I know a guy a work who probably carries the stuff on him all the time. Hahah.

As for power section, I think it should be solid now!

#6 3 years ago

Okay- I'm re-pin in A2J3, female side - the plug. And as stated they had re-wired many of these with lamp cord wire here and there since the previous plug was toast.

I'm putting in the pins, as best I can, one by one, and I go past pin 8 an orange wire, but then pin 10 is also a orange!! Can this really be so? One is a heavier gauge wire than the other- and I THINK that the heavier one is a dual connection from the back box GI- I traced the heavier one and it SEEMS like it also ends at the same place as #11, a heavier red wire. I already pinned the larger one to pin 8, but even though it looked like the one that was still half way attached to the plug, I think that's wrong, and the thin gauge orange wire should go to pin 8, and the heavier one should go on pin 10 next to the red one.

Anyone have a closeup if A2J3 so I can put my mind at ease about this? I think I'll try to trace the thin one which seems like it goes to the sound card.

------------

A few more pins up I get to pin A2J3-10. On the old one there is no wire! The diagram says it's a 53- white with a yellow stripe. I can't seem to find this anywhere. It says it goes to "SOL. BUSS". The solenoid Buss? I'm guessing it's under true Playfield on the common side of the solenoid string? I haven't pulled the glass off and searched down there for it- but I don't find it either hanging, or in the bundles of wires going in this direction.

TIA!

-Bdpinball

679551C1-CAC6-4EF9-ADFD-AA414A669F79 (resized).jpeg679551C1-CAC6-4EF9-ADFD-AA414A669F79 (resized).jpeg

#7 3 years ago

the thin gauge orange wire goes to pin 8

A2 J3 pin 10 should be a thicker orange wire, as should pin 11 be a thick red wire, both for the GI buss.

maybe a typo, but you mean A2 J3- 13 being 53? Is your credit knocker in the backbox or the cabinet?
J3 is backbox related.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

A2 J3 pin 10 should be a thicker orange wire, as should pin 11 be a thick red wire, both for the GI buss.
maybe a typo, but you mean A2 J3- 13 being 53? Is your credit knocker in the backbox or the cabinet?
J3 is backbox related.

That's what I thought about the orange wires.

Knocker is in the cab.

---

Turn it On am there is an ominous humm from the cabinet. Off with the power.

Only J2 on the rectifier board- voltages are not perfect.

TPs are as follows:

1. 5.4 actual 3.21
2. 230 actual 157
3. 11.9 - 11.6
4. 7.3 - 7
5. 4.3 - 4.65

1 & 2 bother me. 3, 4, and 5 seem okay to me.

I suppose if CPU doesn't get its proper voltage, and won't boot, sound card could make a hum like that. Btw- they humm isn't the humm of a stuck solenoid. I don't hear a pop when I turn it on. I'm familiar with that.

Guess the rectifier board needs some help. If the voltages are dead, it's the Wheatstone? What component cause low voltage?

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from bdPinball:

That's what I thought about the orange wires.
Knocker is in the cab.
---
Turn it On am there is an ominous humm from the cabinet. Off with the power.
Only J2 on the rectifier board- voltages are not perfect.
TPs are as follows:
1. 5.4 actual 3.21
2. 230 actual 157
3. 11.9 - 11.6
4. 7.3 - 7
5. 4.3 - 4.65
1 & 2 bother me. 3, 4, and 5 seem okay to me.
I suppose if CPU doesn't get its proper voltage, and won't boot, sound card could make a hum like that. Btw- they humm isn't the humm of a stuck solenoid. I don't hear a pop when I turn it on. I'm familiar with that.
Guess the rectifier board needs some help. If the voltages are dead, it's the Wheatstone? What component cause low voltage?

When there is 12v problems like the filter cap goes out of circuit the sound board can let out a nasty hum.

The feature lamp voltage is low but the rest look OK for an unloaded rectifier board.

2 is fine if the SDB is unplugged. It will only read 230v with the 160uF filter cap in circuit which holds the V up near the top of 230vdc.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

When there is 12v problems like the filter cap goes out of circuit the sound board can let out a nasty hum.
The feature lamp voltage is low but the rest look OK for an unloaded rectifier board.
2 is fine if the SDB is unplugged. It will only read 230v with the 160uF filter cap in circuit which holds the V up near the top of 230vdc.

So am I correct about the low 5v?

It kinda sucks because the game worked save the flakey Gen Ill lights when I started.

I'm a little scared to turn it on with that humm- although I guess since none of the voltages are way high, it doesn't seem like anything is going to blow up, I guess just better safe than sorry.

-bdp

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

J3 is backbox related.

If you look at my pic of the manual page, it shows pin 13 as being 53. But I'm wondering if you might be right about a mistake. Why can't I find this wire anywhere in head?

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from bdPinball:

If you look at my pic of the manual page, it shows pin 13 as being 53. But I'm wondering if you might be right about a mistake. Why can't I find this wire anywhere in head?

rectifier J3 P9 = 43vdc for SDB flipper relay coil
rectifier J3 P12 = 43vdc for MPU zero cross
rectifier J3 P13 = 43vdc for coils in the head. Mainly the knocker in bally SS chime games, then not used starting in lost world (at least for the most part). This connection is still labeled in the wiring diagram but is not used in your Silverball Mania since there is no coils in the head.

Your voltages look safe to plug in the head boards assuming you got the connectors figured out. If the feature lamp being low v would just result in dim lamps. Maybe the bridge has a blown open diode or something, but you can worry about that later.

#13 3 years ago

this hummm in the cab, have you tried removing the 2 pin connector from the sound board? J2

is the sound board isolated from the ground plane on it's stand offs? Can't see in picture

looking at C15 on your sound board someone has put 2 electrolytic caps in parallel.
what value are they?
in any case i'd personally be removing it and replacing with the listed 4700uF 25V (minimum voltage, you can go higher)

i don't believe you have the solenoid bus wire 53 in the backbox as your credit knocker is in the cabinet

also test point 5, should be around 43VDC

#14 3 years ago

are you able to test the AC input to bridge rectifier 1 as the DC reading you are getting is low for TP1. You want to see about 7.8 VAC
it is for the switched illumination, the only component after the transformer is the bridge rectifier itself, internal diodes having a larger than normal voltage drop across them will cause the low reading you are getting.

your low reading for TP2 is fine IMO.

#15 3 years ago

By the way, all I get is a dim led on the cpu. She doesn't flash at all. Just on dim bulb. Heh

#16 3 years ago

Okay- I had things working well- cleaned Playfield replaced nasty/miscolored rubbers, Adjusted some non-making switches.

I think I mentioned a stuck on knocker. Replaced q3 with a TIP102 (man it's nice to still have all These parts laying around so I don't have to wait for them to come In the mail! That was always the worst part about this hobby, and having only one game- nothing to play while waiting for parts)

Things were great for a day. NOW I notice the knocker isn't working again! Grounding the tab doesn't produce a knock.

Schematics show both Q3 (knocker) and Q4 (outhole kicker) share the same U1- a 3081- of which I don't have one. Anyway, since the outhole still works I'm going to bet that U1 is okay- maybe my TIP102 went bad? I see a resistor and a cap in circuit there- something makes me guess it's the TIP102- just because I've seen that component go out more times than I can count.

Ideas?

-BrianDPinball

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from bdPinball:

Okay- I had things working well- cleaned Playfield replaced nasty/miscolored rubbers, Adjusted some non-making switches.
I think I mentioned a stuck on knocker. Replaced q3 with a TIP102 (man it's nice to still have all These parts laying around so I don't have to wait for them to come In the mail! That was always the worst part about this hobby, and having only one game- nothing to play while waiting for parts)
Things were great for a day. NOW I notice the knocker isn't working again! Grounding the tab doesn't produce a knock.
Schematics show both Q3 (knocker) and Q4 (outhole kicker) share the same U1- a 3081- of which I don't have one. Anyway, since the outhole still works I'm going to bet that U1 is okay- maybe my TIP102 went bad? I see a resistor and a cap in circuit there- something makes me guess it's the TIP102- just because I've seen that component go out more times than I can count.
Ideas?
-BrianDPinball

There is an open circuit if grounding the tab of the transistor does not fire the coil. Check for +43v at the knocker coil. Check continuity of the driver board wire from the coil lug to the transistor tab.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

There is an open circuit if grounding the tab of the transistor does not fire the coil. Check for +43v at the knocker coil. Check continuity of the driver board wire from the coil lug to the transistor tab.

I'm on it! Report soon!

-dpinball

#19 3 years ago

It's intermittent. It's working (the knocker) but it seems to give out. Then, I test power at the knocker, and it's for 43 volts or whatever. Ground it, and it goes off. But it's just so strange. It will stop
Working, then it'll start again! Iffy things like that sound like A connector to me.

I'll keep you updated!

1 week later
#20 3 years ago

Well, electronically speaking the game works very well. A few switch adjustments, like the hoop so it goes off when it should, and not when it shouldn't.

But now it's exhibiting some behavior when the ball goes from the shooter lane past the first gate. It seems the last guy moved the gate up about an inch from its original position. Why would someone do that?? And, the position they've put it in is either too close to the ball passing, or possibly the gate is bent down too far. Either way, the ball is deflected off the base of the ball gate making a horrible clunk, and sometimes not continuing through the gate.

Here is a pic of the gate, you can see the former holes it was located in. Or at least a I think that's what has happened. Reasons? Fixes?

I'd like to post the video of the deflection but it's not very good- even when you slow it down frame by frame you can barely see what's happening. This ishow you.
3CC4239F-2D53-41A5-B677-A524AF0EFA8E (resized).jpeg3CC4239F-2D53-41A5-B677-A524AF0EFA8E (resized).jpeg

Now I've looked at the situation from under the Playfield and I think I know what happened. One of the tnuts seems to have fallen out, our stripped out, or gotten lost or something and they didn't have a replacement so their answer was just to use wood screws. <shudder!!>

I'll try to put it back to factory tomorrow and see if the behavior at the entrance goes back to normal.

-bdpinball

B720FE09-DC1D-4153-A121-9775317CD398 (resized).jpegB720FE09-DC1D-4153-A121-9775317CD398 (resized).jpegB25415FD-ED7E-4893-BEB4-12B906B88C42 (resized).jpegB25415FD-ED7E-4893-BEB4-12B906B88C42 (resized).jpeg
#21 3 years ago

Looks like the person attached it with wood screws or maybe drywall screws.

Move it back to the original holes and see what happens.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from Skidave:

Looks like the person attached it with wood screws or maybe drywall screws.
Move it back to the original holes and see what happens.

At least they didn't use bent over nails!!

45CE7AA3-435E-4BD4-90C0-80DE7B1FFA04 (resized).jpeg45CE7AA3-435E-4BD4-90C0-80DE7B1FFA04 (resized).jpeg
#23 3 years ago

Its just rigged. Fix it correctly and restore it back to normal position.

#24 3 years ago

The whole. Game has been rigged any time it was "Fixed!" Home use only can cut both ways!

Been having two problems
Lately, the ball
Is still jumping and hitting that gate- less now but it still happens. Also, the rubber that goes on the upper right side of the hoop seems to be getting sliced by the right lower edge of the hoop. I put a smaller rubber on that set of stand up pegs, and put a single O on the stand up next to the hoop where the slicing seems to be occurring. Anyone else had this problem?

Finally, there is a problem where tha ball
Had worn a groove along the top of the Playfield. It's enough to stall
The ball and keep it from
Falling down to the rest of the Playfield. What to do? Try to fill it with something? Sand it a little so it won't be so pronounced? Seems like the guy must have used a rusty ball or something to get such a trough worn like this.

36EA293F-C898-4C88-A828-27D5164AE2F3 (resized).jpeg36EA293F-C898-4C88-A828-27D5164AE2F3 (resized).jpeg461AEC47-E56B-418E-ABCC-AD0D31D6E8B6 (resized).jpeg461AEC47-E56B-418E-ABCC-AD0D31D6E8B6 (resized).jpegBD719485-D5E5-4D2B-B7FF-1F0F1E22F619 (resized).jpegBD719485-D5E5-4D2B-B7FF-1F0F1E22F619 (resized).jpegDC97D7BD-B3E3-4378-880B-F7858EE35CEF (resized).jpegDC97D7BD-B3E3-4378-880B-F7858EE35CEF (resized).jpeg
#25 3 years ago

It looks like you may have original factory mylar, a clear acrylic to protect the playfield artwork.

To reduce the ball getting stuck, you might consider putting some new clear acrylic where it needs it, on the areas that done, covered originally?

So wherever you now have artwork missing you could add some protection, to also prevent further wear?

Depending on your budget and far you want to go, you might even consider getting the playfield restored?

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

It looks like you may have original factory mylar, a clear acrylic to protect the playfield artwork.
To reduce the ball getting stuck, you might consider putting some new clear acrylic where it needs it, on the areas that done, covered originally?
So wherever you now have artwork missing you could add some protection, to also prevent further wear?
Depending on your budget and far you want to go, you might even consider getting the playfield restored?

My friend Lee replaces Playfields
All the time, but wow- transferring all
The stuff from one Playfield to a new one seems just like spocks brain- sounds easy at first but a little ways into the transfer- I'd be freaking out!!

I guess I just never had a Playfield with this kind of wear- usually the owner keeps a new ball in it, and keeps grit off the Playfield! Think how long it must have been abused to get a groove like this!

I'll definitely look into the milar situation. I just don't have any experience with that. Always time to learn though!

#27 3 years ago

The mylar is clear flexible vinyl acrylic with adhesive on one side.

clear vinyl acrylics come in different thicknesses, clarity and adhesion methods.

100-150 micron would be my choice, the original, if it is, maybe a little thicker.

try a sample piece on a window to get an idea of how it may look on the playfield, if on a window it's not too clear, then that's not what you want.

maybe practice on a window because once you start putting it on a playfield there is a chance that if you aren't happy with how you applied it, removing it may lift some original artwork.

replacing a playfield is definitely daunting at first, time consuming, but take plenty of pictures and with patience it will all come together.

you can also go over all the mechanicals at the same time, and switches etc. so when it's done you have peace of mind it's as good as new.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

The mylar is clear flexible vinyl acrylic with adhesive on one side.
clear vinyl acrylics come in different thicknesses, clarity and adhesion methods.
100-150 micron would be my choice, the original, if it is, maybe a little thicker.
try a sample piece on a window to get an idea of how it may look on the playfield, if on a window it's not too clear, then that's not what you want.
maybe practice on a window because once you start putting it on a playfield there is a chance that if you aren't happy with how you applied it, removing it may lift some original artwork.
replacing a playfield is definitely daunting at first, time consuming, but take plenty of pictures and with patience it will all come together.
you can also go over all the mechanicals at the same time, and switches etc. so when it's done you have peace of mind it's as good as new.

I'm afraid of getting bubbles, or ripples in the Mylar- like you said if you have to remove it you're likely to remove artwork. A touched up Playfield always looks tacky to me. Although maybe if it was done well
I never noticed! But if you notice it - it's tacky! I feel like better left alone.

#29 3 years ago

Make the playfield steeper?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Butler, PA
$ 169.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Machine - For Sale
Florissant, MO
$ 179.00
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hackjob-silverball-mania and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.