(Topic ID: 79694)

Hacked for FREE PLAY

By Blitz7734

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

So I am home due to the wonderful weather outside here in the north east. I see the lure of an EBD for sale ad as seen => http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-eight-ball-deluxe-1st-version-mnhttp://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-eight-ball-deluxe-1st-version-mn <=
What caught my eye was the red button on the left side of the front of the cabinet. Someone else asked about this and it turns out that it is a hack to simulate inserting a coin. huh?
I have a Space Shuttle which is a few years newer than EBD, and it has free play in the programming, I figured most SS machines had a free play. I also have 1973 Amigo, which has no free play option. When Amigo gets low on credits, 25 is max, I just use it as a challenge to play well enough to put more credits on.

So when did free play become an option in the programming?

What are some of the options to get around having no free play?

#2 10 years ago

I think I've seen clay wire-in a second leafswitch on the start button so that when you press the start button it would also add a credit.

I have also seen people make the replay value very low so that most of the time on the first ball you score a replay credit which also has the same effect.

#3 10 years ago

You can patch the ROM to add a free play setting - Oliver did this a few years ago.

http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html

I've done this on a MMPM and it works fine - no need to hack the cabinet.

viperrwk

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from Blitz7734:

So when did free play become an option in the programming?

Late 70's, early 80's depending on the manufacturer.

Quoted from Blitz7734:

What are some of the options to get around having no free play?

You can set the first threshold for winning a game very low so it always rewards you.
You can mount a switch behind the coin return button so that when you hit coin return you add a credit.
You can mount a second isolated switch behind the start button so that when you hit start button you add a credit as you start the game.
You can rewire the coin door slam switch with the wires to a coin slot so every time you want to add a credit you thump the door.
On Gottlieb System 1 and 80's you could place a jumper on the diode board across the coin slot credit switch and the start switch so every time you start a game, you add a credit. (Preferred as there is no learning curve for guests and the game thresholds match the card on the apron)

Note that none of these options involves taking a drill to the front of your machine.

#5 10 years ago

I really like the "first threshold" option for four reasons:

1. It forces you to get a battery pack (or similar game save solution) installed and working. It's an important step in keeping early Bally pins in "ready to play and go anywhere" shape.
2. It lets you know when your batteries die and need replaced. (No longer holds the threshold setting.)
3. It fires the knocker to scare the crap out of players and also confirms that it is working.
4. It is the least intrusive to perform. All it requires is adding a game settings save solution (which every game should have anyway) and then setting the first replay level to like 20,000 pts.

One thing to also mention is that on MOST Bally pins, you must also set the DIPS on the main board to award a "CREDIT" or "REPLAY" award, instead of pts. OR an extra ball when that first scoring threshold is achieved.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 179.00
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hacked-for-free-play and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.