(Topic ID: 99211)

Ha ha ha...Gotcha! Mousin' Around Restore!

By Pinballrus

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by NightTrain
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo (14).JPG
MAA.jpg
255509-i.jpg
255508-i.jpg
photo 4 (1).JPG
250470-i.jpg
250469-i.jpg
244399-i.jpg
244398-i.jpg
photo 3 (3).JPG
photo 2 (5).JPG
242093-i.jpg
photo 3 (2).JPG
photo 1 (5).JPG
MA.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinballrus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

After playing one locally, Mousin' Around instantly jumped to the top of my want list. It's brutally fast, has amazingly flowy ramps, awesome ball locks, a perfect late 80 theme & art.

I searched for awhile, letting a couple slip through my fingers, until I found one locally that was a partially complete project sitting in a storage unit. This girl needed a ton of work, it had been sitting for quite some time, and although the owner had good intentions, other things took priority and Mousin' got left in the state I bought it - functional, no art, very dirty, planking playfield, rust everywhere, but mostly functional and a NEW set of cab decals!

This will quickly cover big steps, as I didn't really document the decals, but can probably answer questions if there are any

Apologies for the low quality photos - my iphone camera has decided to act strange

Photos of how it came to me to give you an idea of the condition:
MA.JPGMA.JPG
photo 3 (2).JPGphoto 3 (2).JPG
photo 1 (5).JPGphoto 1 (5).JPG

The plan was a full teardown, decal the cab, sort out how to deal with the planking playfield and reassemble. Simple enough.

I went out and purchased a palm sander and began to go to work - my first cabinet restore
So. Many. Hours. Of. Sanding....
242093-i.jpg242093-i.jpg

All overseen by my pup
photo 2 (5).JPGphoto 2 (5).JPG

Next step is paint - was starting to get concerned about everything going back together!
photo 3 (3).JPGphoto 3 (3).JPG

Continued...

#3 9 years ago

With the cab painted - I was excited to apply the new decals! These were custom made by the previous owner and had been rolled up for a couple years so I wasn't sure if they would actually still work - fingers crossed!244399-i.jpg244399-i.jpg
244398-i.jpg244398-i.jpg

They ended up going on fairly smoothly, though not perfect. Still I'm happy with the result. While I worked re-assembly of the cab and backbox I acquired a used but in much better condition playfield. It needed some touchup, but wasn't planking and the colors were still vibrant:
250469-i.jpg250469-i.jpg

Touched up:
250470-i.jpg250470-i.jpg

In between working I went and saw Stan Lee throw out the first pitch at a Giants game:

photo 4 (1).JPGphoto 4 (1).JPG

Cab is now back together, and I hope I grounded it correctly!
255508-i.jpg255508-i.jpg
255509-i.jpg255509-i.jpg

I ended up just mylaring over the touched up spots on the playfield instead of having it cleared, I'll keep my eyes out for a NOS one or it will be remade at some point.

Now for the process of swapping playfields - I don't have many photos photos, but the playfield was extremely faded and planking. I stripped the top first, cleaning, polishing and replacing as needed. Fixing switches and adding new sleeves.

I installed most of the top of the playfield on a piece of cardboard as an easy visual reference for posts and placement of everything. (forgot to photograph)

I then swapped the bottom side of the playfield - all done with no rotisserie, though I can see how useful one would be!

We finally end up here - played almost great on first startup! no big issues, had to adjust a few minor switches and a few bulbs (went with all frosted white, game was full of color changers before! EEk)

MAA.jpgMAA.jpg

It plays very fast, mean and FUN! It's no high end restore, but it's sure a helluva lot better and not living in a storage unit anymore!

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

nice job....always satisfying to turn the power on w/o any fuses popping ! (I've done that)....lol.
Looks great.

Whew! No kidding - that was a stressful switch on! Was half expecting it to explode!

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from elross66:

Nice Job. How did you go about touching up the playfield? Did you airbrush or brush the paint?

Thanks - it was done by an artist friend with a super fine tipped brush, not perfect, but pretty good!

#10 9 years ago

Two great titles! (ignore the dog rope toys )
photo (14).JPGphoto (14).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 23.95
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sterling, VA
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Camarillo, CA
3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinballrus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ha-ha-hagotcha-mousin-around-restore?tu=Pinballrus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.