Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220502_200217 (resized).jpg
GZ (resized).jpg
BC2C9143-C3B6-4286-9064-23F9453593FB (resized).jpeg
pins rating (resized).png
#1 2 years ago

Godzilla or Jurassic Park

I’m looking to add a new machine to my collection in the next month and am looking at a new(ish) machine. This would go along side (long term keepers) Rick and Morty, Lord Of The Rings, Star Trek The Next Generation, and my rotators (currently Pinbot, Torpedo Alley, and Williams Indy). Will probably sell/trade out Indy with cash my way in few weeks to fund.

I am looking for a modern pin that is a good shooter and preferably story based. I have never played the premium version of Godzilla or JP.

Godzilla Premium:
Everyone loves it. Kids love the theme. It’s Elwin! Only had a handful of games on it but it was like crack. Great shooting machine. Haven’t played a premium. Usually a used pin guy but these are hard to get. May be able to get one from a buddy at about 10% over MSRP in hand by Christmas.

Jurassic Park Premium:
I had a pro and loved it. Really liked the ball eating mech on my old data east version. Sold it and then the world went to hell and I couldn’t get a replacement. I really like the story based modes and the feeling of going on a journey. Love the Elwin design. Played a ton of games on the pro already, hard to get a hold of.
Edit- I'd put in the movie code if I got one.

Am heavily leaning towards Godzilla or Jurassic Park, but curious on others opinions here. I’m sure either one is a blast, but one would be better than the other.

Pins I’ve owned and wear I’ve rated them for the record.
pins rating (resized).pngpins rating (resized).png
Spreadsheet color meaning: Red means I owned it but absolutely hated it and would rather push it off a boat than play one. Black means I never got it to work, purple are temporary trades I never actually owned but had in my house, and green are games I owned.

#2 2 years ago

I would take Godzilla Over JP.

Adding GNR to this will just make it a shitshow worthless thread like the other ones that already exist.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I would take Godzilla Over JP.
Adding GNR to this will just make it a shitshow worthless thread like the other ones that already exist.

You are probably right... taking it off now.

#4 2 years ago

Godzilla for sure...

#5 2 years ago

I'm trying for the life of me to follow this spreadsheet. lol. I can't figure out the color scheme.

Anyway, there is a Godzilla premium at Ocelot Brewery in VA, if you feel like making the drive to check it out.

#6 2 years ago

Godzilla for sure. I may be the biggest JP fan (theme wise) you'll meet, but the game is clunky as hell and the film integration is non existent. The linear progression I get bored of too. Maybe I just suck but I don't have much fun with it. Godzilla is smooth as hell and just super fun.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Boatshoe:

I'm trying for the life of me to follow this spreadsheet. lol. I can't figure out the color scheme.
Anyway, there is a Godzilla premium at Ocelot Brewery in VA, if you feel like making the drive to check it out.

Will have to check out Ocelot again. Drove down there last month and played the pro, but no premium there yet.

I'm usually the only one in my spreadsheet so... Red means I absolutely hated it and would rather push it off a boat than play one. Black means I never got it to work, purple are temporary trades I never actually owned but had in my house, and green are games I owned. Will add to top post.

#8 2 years ago

Played both Godzilla LE and JP LE at Wizards World in Fort Wayne last week. Godzilla Premium is an easy win. It shoots better, the moving building is great, and the magnetic newton is cool. I also prefer the Zombie Yeti art vs Johnny Crap. JP does have the moving dinosaur, which is a god tier toy. But overall, Godzilla.

FWIW, played GNR CE there and it is not for me. Looks and sounds beautiful, but did not like the game play. Very floaty.

BC2C9143-C3B6-4286-9064-23F9453593FB (resized).jpegBC2C9143-C3B6-4286-9064-23F9453593FB (resized).jpeg
#9 2 years ago

Both are very good games, and you would have a lot of fun getting time on either of them.

I have GZ Prem now and love it. Had JP LE and sold it, but do miss it.

I personally like GZ more as it shoots amazing, all the mechs are fantastic, code is really good for only being .81 so far.

JP does have a better theme to me, especially with the community code update. The JP T-REX Mech is pretty fun to watch, but can be tricky to dial in 100%. If you end up with a pro on JP it is still an amazing game. Sometimes I even prefer the way the pro shoots on JP, but many folks say you must have the super cool T-REX. That is not true for me; I would be very happy with a pro.

I would vote for GZ Prem/LE first. If you can't find one soon, get a 2nd hand JP now and a GZ later.

How do the rankings work on your spreadsheet?

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from pickleric:

Both are very good games, and you would have a lot of fun getting time on either of them.
I have GZ Prem now and love it. Had JP LE and sold it, but do miss it.
I personally like GZ more as it shoots amazing, all the mechs are fantastic, code is really good for only being .81 so far.
JP does have a better theme to me, especially with the community code update. The JP T-REX Mech is pretty fun to watch, but can be tricky to dial in 100%. If you end up with a pro on JP it is still an amazing game. Sometimes I even prefer the way the pro shoots on JP, but many folks say you must have the super cool T-REX. That is not true for me, and would be very happy with a pro.
I would vote for GZ Prem/LE first. If you can't find one soon, get a 2nd hand JP now and a GZ later.
How do the rankings work on your spreadsheet?

Ratings on my spreadsheet are where they fall in order in my pinside rankings. I've rated 49 games, but owned 33, so the numbers skip a bit.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Godzilla for sure. I may be the biggest JP fan (theme wise) you'll meet, but the game is clunky as hell and the film integration is non existent. The linear progression I get bored of too. Maybe I just suck but I don't have much fun with it. Godzilla is smooth as hell and just super fun.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with your assessment of JP. Opinion of which is better aside (I own JP Prem and have a GZ Prem on order), JP with custom code has great theme integration. I feel that the shots are tricky, but when you're dialed in on the game, it flows very well. Starting Trex MB, and hitting the red jackpots in succession is such a great feeling. When you hit a shot, you are set up with another shot somewhere. Missing can be punishing, but I find that when I'm having a bad day, then I'm missing on all of my other games too, not just JP.

To the OP, if you've already spent time on a JP Pro, I don't think your overall experience is going to change on a Prem. The TRex is really awesome and the Raptor pit changes that particular shot, but short of that, the rest of the game is largely the same.

I've spent some time on a GZ Pro and really enjoyed it, then spent some time on a Prem, and might have enjoyed the Pro more tbh. Shots flow better (MechaGZ shot flows nicer on a Pro vs Prem) and the building lock on the Prem also slows things down. But the building, the rotating spinner, and the bridge are cool interactive pieces on the Prem.

You can't go wrong with either one.

#12 2 years ago

I've only played 20 games or so on GZ great pin; but I def feel the combo's & flow of JP pro just feels more satisfying. I usually get rid of games right away I think I've found my first keeper.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with your assessment of JP.

Hey no worries, just my two cents! I totally get I am in the minority with JP. I'm a massive fan of the movies and have tried to force myself to get the game to click with me, but just can't get into it.

You should see the looks I get when I tell people I have more fun with my DE JP than the Stern .

Sounds like the OP likes both, so probably a safe bet for them either way!

#14 2 years ago

Played the prem Zilla at Ocelot recently. Was really excited to play it but left kinda underwhelmed by the mechs. The building was decent but the bridge and especially the mechazilla were just meh. I'd probably save the loot and go Pro on zilla if it were me.
Prem for JP, though. The moving dino is worth it.

#15 2 years ago

I just got my GZ premium yesterday and have had my JP premium for months so the comparison may not be completely fair but I do believe I will end up liking GZ more. It’s just so fun to shoot. I don’t see either leaving for a long time though.

#16 2 years ago

I own both side by side. They compliment each other well. JP is more of an intense game. GZ is more of a fun game. Right now where the code is I'd take JP over GZ. That may change as GZ code matures. Get both sell something else!

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

FWIW, played GNR CE there and it is not for me. Looks and sounds beautiful, but did not like the game play. Very floaty.
[quoted image]

With GnR you have to put the back legs on cinder blocks and turn flipper power to 100, then it’s smooth as butter!

#18 2 years ago

Still JP for me for now, with Godzilla close and a good chance to take over as the code improves.

#19 2 years ago

Thanks guys. I'm leaning more towards JP at the moment knowing I can always sell it and/or trade up for a Godzilla. All will of course depend on what is available at the time. Hopefully the production backlog gets cleared up so everyone can get games again.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Thanks guys. I'm leaning more towards JP at the moment knowing I can always sell it and/or trade up for a Godzilla. All will of course depend on what is available at the time. Hopefully the production backlog gets cleared up so everyone can get games again.

Either one is a good game, but your right, I’d grab whatever is available as demand is high for everything.

#21 2 years ago

I don't have enough time on either to really make a call, but I find the campiness of GZ to be more my speed. It kicks my ass though.

Really I am just here to ask: What's your #2 ranked game?

#22 2 years ago

According to my pinside Rankings my top 10 are:

1. Rick and Morty Blood Suckers Edition <Have
2. Rick and Morty Standard < Already have BSE
3. Start Trek TNG <Have
4. Lord Of The Rings < Have
5. Attack From Mars < Had
6. Medieval Madness <Had
7. Whirlwind <Had
8. Deadpool <Was in company office
9. Addams Family <At local haunt
10. Star Wars <At local haunt

1 week later
#23 2 years ago

I'm going to do it. Just listed my Indy over the weekend. Played a bunch of newer Sterns over the weekend and have come to the conclusion that... pinball is fun and they are all great. Thanks all! I'll let you know what I wind up with.

#24 2 years ago

JP for me. Design just feels better & the flow of design & flow of rules just feels so perfect.

GZ is awesome, too, but so many of the missed or weak shots seem to be designed to result in a “F you drain”. When you’re making hits, GZ is satisfying AF, but you miss something or hit something too slow, it’s likely headed clean right to an outlane. Sure, every pin ends with drains…but for some reason on GZ it’s super demoralizing…cuz you always know that your missed/slow shot is 85% likely death.

Either way, they’re both really addictive and super fun. GZ’s spinner shots are some of the most satisfying ever.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

JP for me. Design just feels better & the flow of design & flow of rules just feels so perfect.
GZ is awesome, too, but so many of the missed or weak shots seem to be designed to result in a “F you drain”. When you’re making hits, GZ is satisfying AF, but you miss something or hit something too slow, it’s likely headed clean right to an outlane. Sure, every pin ends with drains…but for some reason on GZ it’s super demoralizing…cuz you always know that your missed/slow shot is 85% likely death.
Either way, they’re both really addictive and super fun. GZ’s spinner shots are some of the most satisfying ever.

Funny, I would say the exact opposite. JP has much tighter shots and designed to be a more difficult game.

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Funny, I would say the exact opposite. JP has much tighter shots and designed to be a more difficult game.

The shots are tighter, but once you find them, the flow is incredible...but my point is that the missed/bricked shots in JP don't punish as much as they do in Godzilla. Any weak or accidental shot to the right ramp in GZ - almost guaranteed drain. A slow roll from the Mecha area toward the inlane/outlane is pretty much a guarenteed bounce to the outlane...the game is almost nudge-proof when I'm playing, lol...the drains are extremely "nothing but net". Lots of other missed shots to posts or rubbers, just seem to aim exactly to an outlane drain. I wonder if this was intentional design or just a funny coincidence.

JP is difficult, but I never get angry at the drains. GZ makes me make angry faces on most drains. That being said - when you make your shots in GZ, OMG, it's f*cking crazy awesome feeling...there are some unreal ball paths and it feels amazing when you're on a roll.

#27 2 years ago

Just scored a new local GZ premium yesterday. Really liking it but need to fully understand the rules before I can fully compare the two games. I figured it would be easier to trade a GZ premium for a JP premium down the line if need be. Now the Indy is in the overflow area and ready to go.

Thanks all!

GZ (resized).jpgGZ (resized).jpg
4 months later
#28 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:Just scored a new local GZ premium yesterday. Really liking it but need to fully understand the rules before I can fully compare the two games. I figured it would be easier to trade a GZ premium for a JP premium down the line if need be. Now the Indy is in the overflow area and ready to go.
Thanks all!
[quoted image]
20220502_200217 (resized).jpg20220502_200217 (resized).jpg

Godzilla Premium is amazing. I ended up trading Godzilla Premium for JP Premium and a bunch of cash. I'll probably go back and get another GZ Premium down the line, but I'm diving into JP for now and it is an awesome game too. I'm not sure which one will win in the long run. Pinball is an awesome hobby. Someone literally came to my house, delivered a game, took my "old" one, and gave me a bunch of cash. We both get "new to us" games to enjoy. Thanks for the thoughts folks!

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Someone literally came to my house, delivered a game, took my "old" one, and gave me a bunch of cash. We both get "new to us" games to enjoy. Thanks for the thoughts folks!

Wow nice trade - I would of thought GZ premium for JP premium would of been pretty much an even trade. Both great games....

#30 1 year ago

owning godzilla for some time now, JP is the clear winner for me still, although godzilla is def a great game. JP is a masterpiece imo and the nod to JP as #1, for me, is def theme as I love JP. I could care less about godzilla and the fact it's that good, is very telling. If it was a theme I loved, maybe it would take the crown.

I'm hoping Jaws could be that eventual #1!

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The shots are tighter, but once you find them, the flow is incredible...but my point is that the missed/bricked shots in JP don't punish as much as they do in Godzilla. Any weak or accidental shot to the right ramp in GZ - almost guaranteed drain. A slow roll from the Mecha area toward the inlane/outlane is pretty much a guarenteed bounce to the outlane...the game is almost nudge-proof when I'm playing, lol...the drains are extremely "nothing but net". Lots of other missed shots to posts or rubbers, just seem to aim exactly to an outlane drain. I wonder if this was intentional design or just a funny coincidence.
JP is difficult, but I never get angry at the drains. GZ makes me make angry faces on most drains. That being said - when you make your shots in GZ, OMG, it's f*cking crazy awesome feeling...there are some unreal ball paths and it feels amazing when you're on a roll.

Maybe my JP played different because I would say exact opposite. I sold my JP because it just got too frustrating dealing with clunky, difficult shots and drains. I often would just shut the game off in anger. Every shot on that game was difficult. Even the left ramp which seemed easy had to be hit just right or the ball would bounce back down. Ball would dribble out of pops and drain every time. Thought something was wrong with the game but learned it was designed that way. I had the game for about 18 months and nothing changed. I consider myself an above average player but really struggled with JP. The guy I bought my game from was a much better player but sold the game to me for exact same reason.

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

owning godzilla for some time now, JP is the clear winner for me still, although godzilla is def a great game. JP is a masterpiece imo and the nod to JP as #1, for me, is def theme as I love JP. I could care less about godzilla and the fact it's that good, is very telling. If it was a theme I loved, maybe it would take the crown.
I'm hoping Jaws could be that eventual #1!

Quoted from jawjaw:

Maybe my JP played different because I would say exact opposite. I sold my JP because it just got too frustrating dealing with clunky, difficult shots and drains. I often would just shut the game off in anger. Every shot on that game was difficult. Even the left ramp which seemed easy had to be hit just right or the ball would bounce back down. Ball would dribble out of pops and drain every time. Thought something was wrong with the game but learned it was designed that way. I had the game for about 18 months and nothing changed. I consider myself an above average player but really struggled with JP. The guy I bought my game from was a much better player but sold the game to me for exact same reason.

Hmmm.

I think it can very from machine to machine a bit. I have personally found the right spiral ramp and left tower ramp much easier to hit than the right ramp shot in Godzilla and the right loop shot in Godzilla. I have not gotten that many games in on my new machine, but that right ramp in Godzilla was something I always used to just barely make while it is smooth on JP.

Both great games though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 178.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 159.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 289.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gz-vs-jp-vs-gampr-for-me?hl=thebeefsupreme and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.