(Topic ID: 313046)

Guy wants me to deliver Games before paying for them in full.

By CaptainNeo

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 172 posts
  • 94 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Ballypin
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#66 2 years ago

A lot of good points raised so far; I'll try not to be redundant but to summarize those that stand out to me:

- You put a lot of time and effort into acquiring that full collection over several years. I'm assuming that was figured into the sales price of the whole lot but if not it should be because:

- Who just wakes up one day and says "Zounds, I simply MUST acquire The Complete Zaccaria Gen 2 Collection AT ONCE!"? I agree with others: there must be more background to the buyer such that he should be more accommodating. Even if he's "the private type" this can't be his first pinball rodeo*.

- With that established, you have most of the leverage here. While I don't think the buyer's position is completely unreasonable, you don't *have* to sell them either. Were I in your shoes as the seller, I would not put myself through the opportunity cost of all that time, expense, and stress just to risk ending up with nothing for any number of reasons (buyer backs out, transport burns down en route, get robbed on way home, get a chargeback months later, etc etc)...

-...And if I *were* in a position where I wanted or needed to sell fast, I'd deduct the opportunity cost of the above and price accordingly. And yes, probably split the lot because selling all at once at a distance is clearly causing more grief than it's worth. And the next guy won't give a crap once the other shoe drops on him; even a museum might not assure the collection stays together. *(and if buyer IS the private type, who else is ever going to see and appreciate them?)

- So sell it locally piecemeal, at your convenience and terms. Dealing with a dozen appointments versus one or two has its own aggravation, but is it $5000+ worth of aggravation? I think you've already hinted if not outright answered no. Going local/piecemeal will create a much wider net of prospects who understand your terms.

And just like you did putting the collection together in the first place: if the remote buyer still REALLY wants and can afford them, he'll find a way to "appear local" or otherwise meet your terms.

#77 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I sold my complete collection of atari pins a few years back to one buyer.
    Since I spent so much time and effort putting the whole line-up together (minus hercules), I really didn't feel like parting it out. There weren't too many people who had actually managed to acquire the whole line-up.
    I felt the games were more valuable as a set both in terms of monetary value and collectability, even though the pool of potential buyers might be smaller since not everyone can take on that number of games all at once.
    So, I was prepared to sit on them until the right buyer came along for all of them. Luckily, it worked out. Last I heard, the buyer still had them all.

I can respect the thought there is hopefully "one right buyer for every collection and price". OTOH, that hope risks mockery at times (see the recent $6K Firepower and $7.5K Gorgar listings for example).

Not saying you or CaptNeo are/were out of line... just that sometimes things work, and sometimes it doesn't. It's a compromise. It seems Neo and his Buyer are trying to figure out where it lies. My opinion is it favors Neo for the moment... but that could change. Obviously things worked out in your situation, but if you ended up sitting on that Atari collection (which is like what, half the size and value of Zac Gen2?) for long and wanted to move it, I'm sure the terms would have changed.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guy-wants-me-to-deliver-games-before-paying-for-them-in-full?tu=goingincirclez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.