IMG_8631 Large (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20231020-083518 (resized).png
IMG_6183 (resized).jpeg
GNR Manual pg 131 (resized).png
IMG_0138 (resized).jpg
HoloLabel (resized).jpg
LPlabel (resized).jpg
1F6657DB-129E-4AD4-874A-91963A78455C (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frobozz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#143 2 years ago

Aha! Usually the fix for that is to gently bend the left rail over to the right a bit, until sensor test shows that it is reading consistently. But whatever works!

1 month later
#156 2 years ago
Quoted from SDVmnt:

Did the recent beta update and after reboot I had an LED board failure message in the screen. Open it up and reseed it all the connections and now I'm getting hardware error cab board communication failure. Anyone know which one is the cab board? Going into the settings and switch messages doesn't really say anything

If you have an SE, that error message is a bug - I guess that's why they call it a beta version! I assume it will be fixed and a new beta released soon.

2 months later
#172 2 years ago
Quoted from voigtstr:

Is taking the top monitor off tricky or pretty straight forward?

Pull hard on one or both of the top corners of the monitor, and it will pop right out and swing out of your way on an articulated arm. (It's held in place by strong magnets, just tug until they let go.)

3 weeks later
#191 2 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

I had only had my LE for 2 days when the game suddenly could no longer recognize a ball in the scoop. The ball would just sit there until a ball search happened.
The switch would not register in switch test, but every other switch in the same row/column was fine. I did check the wires to the switch tabs and both were firmly connected, and the diode seemed to be intact as well.
Steve from JJP support was very responsive (especially for a weekend!) and suggested using the blade of a small screwdriver to jumper the 2 solder points of the switch to see if that would register the switch in switch test. It did. They are sending a new microswitch out, which I guess I get to replace. My soldering skills are not the best, especially for small parts like this, but I guess I will figure it all out.
Any idea what the lead time is for getting parts shipped from JJP these days? Just my luck to have a part which "never fails" (according to Steve) bite the dust in only a few dozen plays...

I'm assuming you tried pushing the switch in manually in switch test, right? Like, with the eraser end of a pencil from above, or with something slid in from the side from below, and pressing it down? I've seen a couple of people here early on (none recently) mention a switch that was just mis-adjusted so much that a ball resting on it didn't quite actuate it. That can be fixed by gently bending the end of switch actuator arm up a bit, so it's pressed down harder by a ball. Maybe just something else to try before breaking out the soldering iron. Microswitches do very rarely fail, as they said.

#192 2 years ago
Quoted from Wariodolby:

2 lights problems on my SE.
Guitar won’t light anymore and topper not working ever.

It would be weird for all those LEDs in the bottom of the guitar to all fail at once. I'd be looking for a plug that's come unplugged, or a fuse that has blown.

3 weeks later
#249 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

There’s a board under the PF with a bunch of blue Ethernet cables plugged into it. On the right lower side there is a black USB looking cable. Make sure that is snug

What he said, but the board it's complaining about is the one inside the cabinet over by the tilt bob.

2 months later
#295 2 years ago
Quoted from atg1469:

Has anyone found a solution for the LED/PFC board communication error?!
I’ve checked the mini usb cable and all the usb connections on the motherboard and nothing is fixing it. If I unplug the wiring harness at the LED board the lights turn back on and cycle through the startup sequence but then shut off again. Obviously game is unplayable when the lights won’t work, and so far I’m not getting any real advice from JJP other than unplug/plug back in all the cables around the game.

So is it the main (insert, GI) lighting that doesn't work? Or the hotrails? Or both. If it's both, I'd concentrate on the USB cable - swap in another cable, try a different port on the CPU side, etc. But if just messing around with the USB cable makes the board reset and go through its startup self test like that, then I'd also be looking closely at the power connector for bad crimps, pin not inserted fully into connector, etc.

#297 2 years ago
Quoted from atg1469:

Yes, all of the lights are effected. They’ll just freeze during gameplay and the error will pop up. If I reseat the wiring harness to the LED board all the lights come back on and go through their startup sequence, but then shut off completely.

Sorry to be so annoyingly persistent, but specifics matter. When you say "reseat the wiring harness" do you mean disconnect and then reconnect? And does this include the power connector (the two pin connector with red and black wires)? Basically powering it down and then powering it up by disconnecting and reconnecting the power connector will have exactly the effect you describe - all of the lamps will cycle through a reset sequence, but then go out again.

If they were all frozen before you did this, and stay all out after you did this, that speaks to an issue with the USB cable. If you don't see any obvious problems with the way the USB cable is connected at the controller board, or at the PC, then I would try replacing the cable as a first step.

IF however, by "reseat the wiring harness" you just mean wiggling the cables going to the board, and it does this reset, then the problem may be with the power connector itself in the harness.

#299 2 years ago
Quoted from atg1469:

The mini usb pulls out very easily but seems to stay in place. Also, when the lights are frozen, if I pull it/plug it back in the problem persists. The only thing that unfreezes the lights is playing with the wiring harness, but again the lights won’t stay on afterwards.

I suppose you can never rule out a flaky circuit board but this still sounds like a USB cable problem. Have you checked the other end of the cable, at the PC box in the head? It can be hard to figure out which one it is, but if one isn't plugged in all the way, that would be your culprit. Or just unplug every one and plug them back in to make sure. And that doesn't fix it, next step would be replacing that cable entirely with a new one.

#307 2 years ago
Quoted from Gomer:

Is there a trick to opening the backbox on the LE? I unlocked it, usually with backglass you pull up and it sort of goes into the cabinet a bit then you can tip the bottom out. With this machine, I am getting no movement on the right side of the glass at all, and a little bit of up/down movement on the right.

Nothing with this game specifically., but just historically on pins with backglass locks like that, the locks can partially block the channel even when "open", the lock cam screw can come loose and not allow it to spin when the lock cylinder does, the edge molding on the glass can slide partially off and block the channel, the head can be warped slightly and not allow the glass to feed into the channel, and about 12 other things. Usually with some wiggling, some careful "convincing", some looking in past the glass with a flashlight, maybe some careful application of makeshift tools (putty knife, etc) you can get the glass out despite the obstacles and then, with everything open, address the problem so it doesn't happen again.

2 weeks later
#314 2 years ago
Quoted from ShrimpPimp:

So I have a G&R CE with about 2600 plays. Lately I have been having an issue which was mentioned on page 2 of this thread. When I press the start button the game starts scoring and "Ignite the Flames" multi-ball starts before I even plunge the first ball. So I did a switch test and switch 18 was lit up red and marked closed. I looked at the two thin metal blades behind the sling rubber and they were touching. I tweaked them open with a flat blade screwdriver and the switch test says it is operating normally, but the issue with the automatic multi-ball hasn't been resolved. I emailed JJP but have not heard back.
Any ideas what to try next?

Switch 17 (the standup target right below the bottom bumper) and switch 18 (the switch behind the rubber ring to the left of that target) will both do what you are describing if they are gapped too closely. Go into switch test and bang the playfield with the heel of your hand, or use the + button to have the shaker vibrate the playfield for you, and see if either or both of those switches close intermittently as you do that. I'm betting that's the problem.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 210.00
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

11,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dracut, MA
$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Purcellville, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Long Beach, NY
8,400 (OBO)
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frobozz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guns-n-roses-troubleshooting-?tu=frobozz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.