Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Vespula
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I am considering purchasing a NIB GNR LE and was wondering what are the must have mods for protecting my investment?

Thanks.

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

I am considering purchasing a NIB GNR LE and was wondering what are the must have mods for protecting my investment?
Thanks.

Of course, must have is definitely an opinion. I can tell you what I have on mine that I really enjoy:

Mirror blades, flipper toppers, shooter protector,
Pinstadiums with Xeno Mounts,
Pinwoofer sub , tweeters, and power supply
Lior Art of Pinball bullet shooter rod and custom surround. Lior action button surround
Back box and under cabinet lighting (my son daveyvandy added these himself)
Titan sling and flipper rubbers
Pinmonk coil fans (these are almost must have)
JJP topper (honestly not that great)- Lior is working on a high end one
Lots of PEG clear washers on posts to prevent playfield pooling- may no longer be an issue…
Custom metal drum set that my son made
GNR banner and pinball machine cover blanket.

Good luck and enjoy the game!

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from GranpaDave:

Of course, must have is definitely an opinion. I can tell you what I have on mine that I really enjoy:
Mirror blades, flipper toppers, shooter protector,
Pinstadiums with Xeno Mounts,
Pinwoofer sub , tweeters, and power supply
Lior Art of Pinball bullet shooter rod and custom surround. Lior action button surround
Back box and under cabinet lighting (my son daveyvandy added these himself)
Titan sling and flipper rubbers
Pinmonk coil fans (these are almost must have)
JJP topper (honestly not that great)- Lior is working on a high end one
Lots of PEG clear washers on posts to prevent playfield pooling- may no longer be an issue…
Custom metal drum set that my son made
GNR banner and pinball machine cover blanket.
Good luck and enjoy the game!

Thank you for your reply.

What posts cause the most pooling issues that you have seen?

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Thank you for your reply.
What posts cause the most pooling issues that you have seen?

Lower posts by the slings and upper playfield post. I'm not sure if this is still a problem with the latest run of these games. The plastic washers seem to work wonderfully and have no effect on my (mediocre) play.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from GranpaDave:

Lower posts by the slings and upper playfield post. I'm not sure if this is still a problem with the latest run of these games. The plastic washers seem to work wonderfully and have no effect on my (mediocre) play.

Would this or this offer enough protection or is it beyond that? I am not sure if one is better than the other or the same. I am not talking about the protectors other than the posts.

http://www.passionforpinball.com/jjp_guns_n_roses.htm

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/51-100GNR

#6 2 years ago

If you're buying one new, the washers are all installed already for you. No playfield issues since summer...so...
You have nothing to do but play it and maybe mod it up...

Agree on the pinmonk fans, plus add air ball drain barrier, consider diverter and magnet fans while you're at his site ordering.. .. but that's really all the mods related to gameplay. The rest are just to suit your fancy.

There's an older GnR mod thread here you might enjoy..

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mods-for-gnr-le#post-6655463

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

If you're buying one new, the washers are all installed already for you. No playfield issues since summer...so...
You have nothing to do but play it and maybe mod it up...
Agree on the pinmonk fans, plus add air ball drain barrier, consider diverter and magnet fans while you're at his site ordering.. .. but that's really all the mods related to gameplay. The rest are just to suit your fancy.
There's an older GnR mod thread here you might enjoy..
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mods-for-gnr-le#post-6655463

Great to know! Thanks for the information, this is very helpful.

What about the Cliffy mods though, are they needed? I am talking about the scoop protection etc., not the post ones anymore.

#8 2 years ago

The #1 mod IMO for Guns n Roses is a Pinwoofer Super Kit. My LE sounds significantly better thanks to it and the sound quality is superior to the games where I've only added an external subwoofer. I would also go with the official art blades but be warned you must always use the included artwork protectors to lift / lower the playfield or they will be scratched (very little room between the cabinet and playfield). Beyond that I would say a Cliffy kit. The Art of Pinball GNR mods are pricy but look incredible, personally I just ordered the 45 auto shooter rod from the set.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The #1 mod IMO for Guns n Roses is a Pinwoofer Super Kit. My LE sounds significantly better thanks to it and the sound quality is superior to the games where I've only added an external subwoofer. I would also go with the official art blades but be warned you must always use the included artwork protectors to lift / lower the playfield or they will be scratched (very little room between the cabinet and playfield). Beyond that I would say a Cliffy kit. The Art of Pinball GNR mods are pricy but look incredible, personally I just ordered the 45 auto shooter rod from the set.

My main concern is protecting the PF from wear. I have an idea of some of the other mods I would like to do and love hearing what others think are good ones.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Great to know! Thanks for the information, this is very helpful.
What about the Cliffy mods though, are they needed? I am talking about the scoop protection etc., not the post ones anymore.

I bought the cliffy set, but never installed it. Its in my toolbox.
I hear they are always backordered months, so if you want it in your toolbox, just order it and help support cliff whether you use it or not. I didn't start out with that intention, but a year ago the conversation about GNR on the owners forum was more centered around triage situation. Like the pandemic, we are coming out of it and everyone is more or less talking about the game again and these conversations are just occasional - especially for the new comers who read about "all the issues" of the past.

900 plays later (Nov build date, arrived Nov 17 2021) the center scoop stock insert and wood in front, and my shooter lane are just like new. Playfield is great, nothing to complain about. I will say, imo, if you dont like pulling glass and tweaking on your pin, then I think you will find GnR will either be so amazing for you that you will find enjoyment giving it the attention it deserves, or you will find you really don't like it that enough to spend that time on it and will move on. So maybe some wise words are, wait to see which direction the wind blows for you before committing to wasting money on mod's you wont recoup if you flip it. That includes Fans and Pinwoofer and everything, honestly. You will probably know within a couple hundred plays and dont worry- it wont disintegrate before your eyes, but your eyes will be opened.

So back to cliffies... I am continuing to monitor and not going to any effort to install the cliffies, but if / when I end up needing to do something more pressing with the upper play field like changing sling rubbers underneath or something like that then I *MAY* install them. One reason I hesitate is I have seen some posts of cliffies bending outward in the scoop hanging up balls from being detected by the switch. One user on here wore his out and had to replace with a second one (very rare). So, while its minor slim chance, I just dont have any pressing need for this protection mod. Also some reports of guitar lock alignment issues after disturbing the upper after re-assembly. Again minor, but I dont have a problem to fix, and everything is perfect, so I am not lazy but just dont have any need to disturb the integrity to fix/prevent something imaginary. I would rather play, and address anything as it comes up. I inspect regularly, tweak/mod a lot and just enjoy the pin immensely and through modding and troubleshooting and the owners thread, I am slowly getting to know every square inch of the machine, there isn't anything that's going to suddenly appear like an avalanche that I wont notice well in advance of it becoming a problem. When I first got it, all I saw was a Pinball machine, now I am netting it out getting to the point of being able to see all the individual parts that make it up, the overall design, and integration of how it all works inside backbox, under playfield on the playfield ... just like buying a new car, eventually you orient yourself with everything... the more I learn about it, the more I realize the amount of effort that went into the design and execution of this. JJP built an amazing game.

Quoted from VisitorQ:

My main concern is protecting the PF from wear. I have an idea of some of the other mods I would like to do and love hearing what others think are good ones.

Also, as far as the playfield in general, very faint dimpling occurs to be expected, I put a coat of wax on the main section every few hundred plays to keep it slick and fast. Otherwise, my hyper awareness of stabilizing in the first 300 plays has settled in to just general inspections and occasional adjustments on a very stable playfield for the last 600 plays... I continue to dump money into it on mods and more lights and that is because it's bolted to my floor as they say. I enjoy modding as much as playing.

As PanzerFreak mentioned, the Pinwoofer is #1 non-essential mod. But I didn't mention it because I was just limiting to essential mods. It takes the sound to a concert quality level and so its 100% worth it, but not essential because it doesnt affect the gameplay like the PinMonk fans do. That's the distinction for me to whether a mod is essential vs. non-essential.

#11 2 years ago

Thank you again for all the information. I will probably just buy it and enjoy it for now. I'll get the cooling fans and a few other mods I have my eyes on. Since I am buying NIB, I just wanted to make sure I could do everything I can to protect my investment from the start. It has been a bit since I have owned a pinball machine so I need to get myself reacquainted with some things.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Thank you again for all the information. I will probably just buy it and enjoy it for now. I'll get the cooling fans and a few other mods I have my eyes on. Since I am buying NIB, I just wanted to make sure I could do everything I can to protect my investment from the start. It has been a bit since I have owned a pinball machine so I need to get myself reacquainted with some things.

You'll be fine. The owners club forum has lots of helpful people hanging out & willing to help with all your questions and the pinned key posts at the top of every page have tons of good , common info, and the search feature in that forum pretty much pulls up whatever you need to know.

Congrats! This was my FIRST pin ever and while I am pretty handy, I had no experience in this stuff, and I managed to work through it all. So if I can do it, you can do it... and especially since this isn't your first rodeo in pinball ownership.

#13 2 years ago

Yeah I have had a fair amount of games in the past but got out of the hobble right before WOZ came out. I have a technical job for a living so I am use to working on mechanical stuff.

LOL! I have not even played GNR (yet) but wanted to start back in with something from JJP. It seem like a feature packed game which is what I am looking for and the light show looks stunning!

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Yeah I have had a fair amount of games in the past but got out of the hobble right before WOZ came out. I have a technical job for a living so I am use to working on mechanical stuff.
LOL! I have not even played GNR (yet) but wanted to start back in with something from JJP. It seem like a feature packed game which is what I am looking for and the light show looks stunning!

I dumped rolls and rolls of quarters in DE GNR in the bars in the 90's and was my favorite thing to do for months with friends ... Never been in the hobby and never thought to own one... "who has a pinball in their house anyway?"
So I had never heard of JJP, until ran across a promo video of this GNR by accident and with the DE GNR memories coupled with this video promo, well, I ordered it on JJP website immediately after the promo the night of 12-30-2020 without ever playing it. Heck, I never heard of Pinside either. Hell I thought I would get a call that week and complete the order and get my game. LOL. Once I found pinside everything became clear to me that I wasn't going to see this pin for a long time. I lived vicariously with Pinside to keep involved during the wait and learn and then Finally one showed up on location sometime in Spring of 2021. I played it about 30 times over 2 visits and WOW.... FINALLY, 11 months later I got the call Nov 5th,and it arrived 17th of Nov. 2021.
The wait was a blessing in hindsight and I am personally at 900 games in 4 months.

#15 2 years ago

Yeah. I played the DE game before but never this one. Finding pinball machines on location anymore is pretty rare. I mean I don't know how they expect any operator to spend 10K on a pin to put on location for a return? It seems to me that the majority of people have these in their homes these days.

Is this the only game you own? Do you plan on buying another?

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Yeah. I played the DE game before but never this one. Finding pinball machines on location anymore is pretty rare. I mean I don't know how they expect any operator to spend 10K on a pin to put on location for a return? It seems to me that the majority of people have these in their homes these days.
Is this the only game you own? Do you plan on buying another?

We have 2 places and one of them owns game terminal and they are a distributor as well and 2 bucks per game. The other is a guy who runs game galaxy and charges by the hour and he didn't have GnR until much later in the year.. And I had already decided I was not playing it anymore and going to wait to learn and play it at home ...so I never went.

Only game yes, I do not plan on buying another.
For one I don't have room, and two, I don't really want another, and 3, I know me so where would it stop? And 4, it was also good it took 11 months to get because I need that long for my wife became peaceful with the idea. She doesn't care much about pinball or GnR and 10k is a rip off. Her words. Lol I'm the one with the afd GnR concert ticket from the 80s and memories of de GnR.... and a great wife.

If I was expanding my collection, since getting into the hobby last year, I would have bought is Jurassic Park (the other that I played back in the day and liked) and most recently Godzilla looks awesome and I'm number one Rush fan so I would have that too.... See? I'm instantly up to 4 pins and down 50k in the blink of an eye. Divorce? At a minimum it would really cost me 100k if I stayed married. Lol.
GnR is so good and so varied to me that it's enough. The code and rules seem like it can keep new players up to expert players involved. I'm very mediocre but enjoy playing it immensely. More than any other pinball I've played on location. The old de GnR isn't even fun anymore.
Hope you're as enamored as I am when you get it!

#17 2 years ago

HAH!

I am not the biggest GNR fan but if their music was on the radio I would not change the channel. I am more interested in all the features that were not available to me when owning a pinball machine before and there are many. LCD, WIFI, Bluetooth, Camera and more! I love technology and this game looks like it is as full featured as it gets for pinball currently!

I could never own just one pinball machine because I would play the crap out of it and get bored. I feel that the ideal collection is between 3 and 5 machines but that's just my opinion.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

HAH!
I am not the biggest GNR fan but if their music was on the radio I would not change the channel. I am more interested in all the features that were not available to me when owning a pinball machine before and there are many. LCD, WIFI, Bluetooth, Camera and more! I love technology and this game looks like it is as full featured as it gets for pinball currently!
I could never own just one pinball machine because I would play the crap out of it and get bored. I feel that the ideal collection is between 3 and 5 machines but that's just my opinion.

I am like you on the music and didn't know any of their newer material so it's been cool playing to songs I never heard before and really they picked great songs. There are some really great ones after afd that I didn't realize and have really grown to like because of this game, but I don't ever play them or listen to them outside of this game and I like it that way. GnR is associated to pinball to me.
As for the solitary pin, I do not know what boredom is and play the crap out if it... But I'm so busy that I can go several days and not get to play it, so maybe that helps the only 1 pin situation. it's never enough.. 225 games a month avg so far.. but still in a total honeymoon. Probably expected only 4 months in ... Don't know what the avg honeymoon phase of a new pin is.. I'm sure the old timers do. 1 year maybe? Until the next release maybe?

If I had more pins, I'm pretty sure I'd walk up to GnR first and on the days where it's kicking my ass game after game then I could see a shift to another game (to teach it a lesson, lol) but now I just walk away early muttering under my breath, battered and bruised usually, but that's rare but not uncommon and I usually have several over the top fun perma-grin games during a session amongst the cruelty this pin can deliver. Also after a few of those killer games, I'm exhausted, so I need a total break at that point and leave the room not to return until another day. This pin could be an Olympic sport! No desire to play a different pinball game at that point. Need a nap. Best pinball game ever. But I do get and respect the diversification of a pin portfolio for varieties sake.... And if I was unbridled (and especially if single) then I probably would jump in the deep end and have half a dozen lickety split like you said .. cause that's how I roll.

#19 2 years ago

My first pin was a Monster Bash which is a fairly easy game. At the time it was my only pin and I became so good at it that I would play it and reach the wizard mode twice in one game. Having a few machines allowed me to not play the same game over and over again but I can't speak for everyone. One game maybe all you need and you may never grow tired of it and if you do, it seems like there is always someone who is willing to trade.

10 months later
#20 1 year ago

Ran across this thread. Looks like you passed on gnr... But Rush got added to both our collections!
(And gz for you)
So much for my 1 pin, right? Lol. I made room for a pro in December.
2 is my Max - for sure.
I love Rush. Favorite band. Great pin. Lucky to own it.
Congrats on yours!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 649.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Interactive
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guns-n-roses-must-have-mods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.