BD0FECEA-C569-4401-B812-C4DA21AFA833 (resized).png
45A77C01-49E9-4894-AAD4-04031D125C0B (resized).png
6E93A2E9-702D-4189-8574-2AABCAF4E737 (resized).png
706558EF-6A35-4A96-AF2A-BCB938D1506B (resized).png
7F4C745B-46EE-4291-A23E-16872E78FA04 (resized).png
D46856C2-8416-437F-84EF-5250F1463F2E (resized).jpeg
6A6E20EB-03CA-4368-A3E6-B87938357653 (resized).jpeg
9E295AAA-A0B4-419E-A08B-41BBB8859489 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blackjacker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#52 10 years ago

My custom grips arrived! Did a test fit last night. So happy.

grips_new.jpggrips_new.jpg

1 year later
#135 9 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Thanks for that, Nexyss, poibug and nath2099. Just dropped a shaker into mine - super-easy.

4 months later
#137 9 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

Would anyone be interested in a run of gun colored G ramps for their machine?

Absolutely!

And R ramps to match.

#143 9 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

So is it possible to do the R ramp as well? Yes, but I'm not sure there would be enough interest to warrant the time needed to draw up and recreate a mold for that.

I'd have to think that most people interested in a "smoked" G ramp repro would also get a matching R at the same time if available. I'd be in for 2 of each at least.

As you know the R was never repro'd, and even though the stock R seems to not break/crack nearly as often as the G, having repro's available (especially matching the "smoked" G) would be sweet.

#146 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

How easy is it to remove existing hardware from old ramps, and place onto the new ones (if formed)?

On the previous G ramp repro, the hardware was already installed, with the exception of the trap door flap, for which screws were included.

But if you had to transfer your old hardware, if you have a drill and a rivet press, easy. If not, Action Pinball (among others) offers a "you send it, we rivet it" mail-in service.

Quoted from spacies:

Is there a chance you and Pinball Inc could work together?

Pinball Inc is out of the repro ramp business. Starship Fantasy has taken that over, but it sounds like their dance card is full through 2015 at least.

2 weeks later
#161 9 years ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

So, bought a set of grips for the gun, in the interest of not damaging anything is there proper sequence for removing the original ones? Took the screw out but they are holding on.

You have to pull the gun frame off the cab - screws on the backside of each grip hold them on. That single screw is holding the left/right halves of the frame together.

#164 9 years ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

Cool thanks, picked the right ones they are a perfect match. Don't want to damage anything!

Post some pics!

4 months later
#193 8 years ago
Quoted from DorkVonWaterfall:

powered by a PC psu which also powers the soundboard

What is the reason for this, and how did you wire it up? Supplying +12V only, or +12, -12 and +5?

I am thinking I may have to do something similar with my PinSound board in my GNR if I can't solve my dropping +12V problem.

5 months later
#208 8 years ago

Color DMD would be nice.

Metal ramps would be sweet.

#211 8 years ago
Quoted from GeneQ:

Show me some more GNR Mods - currently restoring mine and I've taken some ideas from this thread. I'm interested to see what else is out there.

A few that I think are essential for GNR:

* PinSound board with a speaker upgrade (Flipper Fidelity/PinballPro or roll your own)
* LED OCD and EnerGI Maestro boards
* Upgraded magnet board from Great Lakes Modular

And if you're powder coating your side rails, legs and whatnot, replace the plastic rear glass channel, H-channel and lift channel with steel replacements, and have them powder coated to match, along with the U-channel at the bottom of the speaker panel. Easy to overlook doing those, but looks really sharp when done.

And get some custom grips on your gun shooter handle. (Pics of mine below - basement lighting, super-reflective surfaces and my lack of skill with a camera all combining to make some less-than-stellar pics, but you get the idea.)

Rear glass channel, speaker panel U- and H-channels and lift channel replaced w/ steel versions and powder coated:
gnr_3.JPGgnr_3.JPG

gnr_grip_2.JPGgnr_grip_2.JPG

gnr_grip_3.JPGgnr_grip_3.JPG

#213 8 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Hey blackjacker, where did you get the steel h channel ? Also I have never seen the grips for sale. I've read about useing ones from a ruger.

Got the H-channel, rear glass channel and lift channel from Kerry at mantisamusements.com

I designed the grips and had them made by Cenk Gultekin at handmadegrips.com. They're walnut, with silver and brass inlays. The stock GNR grips are really close to 'real' Ruger size, differing mostly in the fixtures on the back for mounting.

1 week later
#217 8 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

I wish I had better news, but the project is still stalled due to my heavy work load. I am hoping things start to slow down for me and I can get back to them. The stuff is still piled up on my desk here, so its not like I can forget about it.

I'm guessing that the originals (and your first run of repros) were made 'flat' because of some proper mix of engineering and cost concerns, but did/have you given thought to creating them in the actual slope that they're used in-game, like the R ramps were?

The repro that I have on my machine right now has a series of fractures on the "floor" of the area I outlined in the pic below - seemingly stress cracks from the 'twisting' of the ramp when installed.

crackbewhack.jpgcrackbewhack.jpg

#219 8 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

Yes, the original and repro G ramps were both formed flat. On my original repro run I looked into having the mold made in the proper shape/angle, but the depth of the mold more than doubles which made the price of the mold skyrocket. Also they were concerned with the depth of the draw for the plastic and it thinning the sheets out too much in the bends and enviably making the ramps weaker. Not to mention the cutting fixture would need to be much more complex. All in all for a small run of ramps none of it mad sense to try. So I went with a flat mold like Data East did. They likely did the same for the same reasons.
All that being said, I am kind of surprised that your are having an issue with stress cracking. This plastic is very durable and flexible. Here is a video I just shot of me bending one. And this is an original repro ramp thats been sitting around from 8 years ago.

Thanks for the insight - totally understandable to go flat.

Dude, just the titleframe from that video gives me the heebie-jeebies!

Not sure how long it was after install when my cracks appeared (it wasn't terribly long, as once I noticed them I didn't put the stickers on), nor if it was all at once or if they crept up, but they don't appear to have grown in the year and a half or so since I saw them.

You can just barely see the ends of a few of them just under the upper gate on that ramp in the picture I posted a few days ago earlier on this page. Figure if they ever do expand or if I take that horse to a show I'll drop another ramp in.

4 months later
#239 7 years ago
Quoted from HighwayStarr:

So any of you modders around here interested in doing an actual playfield change ???? wish i could post a poll but doesn't appear to be an option ... sounds intriguing to me but also like a big pain in the @$$ ...

My first PF swap was my GNR, just about 2 years ago. It's really just a matter of taking way too many photos and keeping the parts tagged and separated by area/order of removal.

Tore mine down and sent the playfield to HEP for restore/clear. While it was gone, everything got cleaned, metal off to the powder coater, connectors repinned as needed, etc. - it's a big job, but a great opportunity to get everything attached to the PF cleaned and tweaked. Do it!

3 weeks later
#246 7 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

So, changed speakers and lit them up, colordmd, white rubber, superbands, upgraded speakers, cleaned everything. What's next? Pinsound?

PinSound is a must in GNR. Along with LED OCD and EnerGI Maestro.

#252 7 years ago
Quoted from xsonics2k2:

I have been looking for a video that shows a machine with and without Pinsound to understand the difference in audio quality. The only videos I can find are ones with modified music.

Not sure that would be of any value; stock GNR audio files run through PinSound wouldn't sound appreciably different than the sound from a fully-stock GNR.

The stock GNR audio samples are terrible, and other than the ability to control volume/bass/treble of the backbox and cab independently, PinSound won't do anything to improve them - garbage in, garbage out.

3 weeks later
#277 7 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Bought myself at a garage sale 2 revolvers. Time to make a USD dollar mod of it with some spray paint and fake roses

I like that far better than any of the aftermarket toppers - nice job!

The one bit I'd work on - the attitude of the guns. Maybe get some clear acrylic and make some supports to place under the barrels, so the guns could be oriented horizontally as per the logo. (Or some simple L-brackets fastened on the back side of the handles, so they wouldn't be visible.)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 549.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods
Toppers
6,693 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chelsea, MI
Machine - For Sale
Franklin Square, NY
$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 78.50
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
7,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, MA
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Boards
PinSound
Boards
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blackjacker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guns-n-roses-mods?tu=blackjacker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.