BD0FECEA-C569-4401-B812-C4DA21AFA833 (resized).png
45A77C01-49E9-4894-AAD4-04031D125C0B (resized).png
6E93A2E9-702D-4189-8574-2AABCAF4E737 (resized).png
706558EF-6A35-4A96-AF2A-BCB938D1506B (resized).png
7F4C745B-46EE-4291-A23E-16872E78FA04 (resized).png
D46856C2-8416-437F-84EF-5250F1463F2E (resized).jpeg
6A6E20EB-03CA-4368-A3E6-B87938357653 (resized).jpeg
9E295AAA-A0B4-419E-A08B-41BBB8859489 (resized).jpeg
There are 343 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.
#201 8 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

Unfortunately I do not have any pics of it in the game and I no longer own a GnR to install the grey ramp I have here. So unless someone local wants to offer up their game for a photo shoot, you'll just have to take my word for it. It looks awesome!

Welcome to come over and use my GnR for a photo shoot. And Doot you're welcome to come over that night too.

#202 8 years ago

just butchered a broken 7" android tablet (broken touchscreen) and got it play videos in loop, it boots automatically into video on powerup

DSC_0227.JPGDSC_0227.JPG DSC_0234.JPGDSC_0234.JPG
1 month later
#203 8 years ago

I am working on doing a run of ten toppers, maybe two different versions as I am not a fan of the quality and price of the original topper. These will be hand cut out of wood, like the trophies I make for tournaments in the North East. Anyone that knows or has seen these trophies, knows the quality of my work.

Price will be around $125-150,
If you're interested in being on the list, pm me your info. An example is below of a Creature I did for Pintastic New England, it is multi-layered.

Thanks, James

DSCN4013 (1).JPGDSCN4013 (1).JPG

2 months later
#204 8 years ago

Show me some more GNR Mods - currently restoring mine and I've taken some ideas from this thread. I'm interested to see what else is out there.

#206 8 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

The coolest GnR mod is coming!!!!

Color DMD?

1 month later
#208 8 years ago

Color DMD would be nice.

Metal ramps would be sweet.

#209 8 years ago

The best mod I have on mine (ok not really a mod but had to post it)gnrpinball.jpggnrpinball.jpg
A Slash signed trans light.

#210 8 years ago

just made a "name tag mod"

#211 8 years ago
Quoted from GeneQ:

Show me some more GNR Mods - currently restoring mine and I've taken some ideas from this thread. I'm interested to see what else is out there.

A few that I think are essential for GNR:

* PinSound board with a speaker upgrade (Flipper Fidelity/PinballPro or roll your own)
* LED OCD and EnerGI Maestro boards
* Upgraded magnet board from Great Lakes Modular

And if you're powder coating your side rails, legs and whatnot, replace the plastic rear glass channel, H-channel and lift channel with steel replacements, and have them powder coated to match, along with the U-channel at the bottom of the speaker panel. Easy to overlook doing those, but looks really sharp when done.

And get some custom grips on your gun shooter handle. (Pics of mine below - basement lighting, super-reflective surfaces and my lack of skill with a camera all combining to make some less-than-stellar pics, but you get the idea.)

Rear glass channel, speaker panel U- and H-channels and lift channel replaced w/ steel versions and powder coated:
gnr_3.JPGgnr_3.JPG

gnr_grip_2.JPGgnr_grip_2.JPG

gnr_grip_3.JPGgnr_grip_3.JPG

#212 8 years ago

Hey blackjacker, where did you get the steel h channel ? Also I have never seen the grips for sale. I've read about useing ones from a ruger.

#213 8 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Hey blackjacker, where did you get the steel h channel ? Also I have never seen the grips for sale. I've read about useing ones from a ruger.

Got the H-channel, rear glass channel and lift channel from Kerry at mantisamusements.com

I designed the grips and had them made by Cenk Gultekin at handmadegrips.com. They're walnut, with silver and brass inlays. The stock GNR grips are really close to 'real' Ruger size, differing mostly in the fixtures on the back for mounting.

#214 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Got the H-channel, rear glass channel and lift channel from Kerry at mantisamusements.com
I designed the grips and had them made by Cenk Gultekin at handmadegrips.com. They're walnut, with silver and brass inlays. The stock GNR grips are really close to 'real' Ruger size, differing mostly in the fixtures on the back for mounting.

yeah MJR... I used stock replacement Ruger Blackhawk rosewood grips I bought online ...did have to slightly modify them (mitered the tops a little shorter) to make them work but wasn't difficult there is a pic and comments about that earlier in this thread ..... thanks Blackjacker for the tip on the rear channel I couldn't find any replacement when I had my stuff powder coated

#215 8 years ago

What is the latest on the smoke colored G ramps? I am in for this ramp and the "R" when it becomes available.

#216 8 years ago
Quoted from GKW:

What is the latest on the smoke colored G ramps? I am in for this ramp and the "R" when it becomes available.

I wish I had better news, but the project is still stalled due to my heavy work load. I am hoping things start to slow down for me and I can get back to them. The stuff is still piled up on my desk here, so its not like I can forget about it.

IMG_1328.JPGIMG_1328.JPG

#217 8 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

I wish I had better news, but the project is still stalled due to my heavy work load. I am hoping things start to slow down for me and I can get back to them. The stuff is still piled up on my desk here, so its not like I can forget about it.

I'm guessing that the originals (and your first run of repros) were made 'flat' because of some proper mix of engineering and cost concerns, but did/have you given thought to creating them in the actual slope that they're used in-game, like the R ramps were?

The repro that I have on my machine right now has a series of fractures on the "floor" of the area I outlined in the pic below - seemingly stress cracks from the 'twisting' of the ramp when installed.

crackbewhack.jpgcrackbewhack.jpg

#218 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

I'm guessing that the originals (and your first run of repros) were made 'flat' because of some proper mix of engineering and cost concerns, but did/have you given thought to creating them in the actual slope that they're used in-game, like the R ramps were?
The repro that I have on my machine right now has a series of fractures on the "floor" of the area I outlined in the pic below - seemingly stress cracks from the 'twisting' of the ramp when installed.
crackbewhack.jpg

Yes, the original and repro G ramps were both formed flat. On my original repro run I looked into having the mold made in the proper shape/angle, but the depth of the mold more than doubles which made the price of the mold skyrocket. Also they were concerned with the depth of the draw for the plastic and it thinning the sheets out too much in the bends and enviably making the ramps weaker. Not to mention the cutting fixture would need to be much more complex. All in all for a small run of ramps none of it mad sense to try. So I went with a flat mold like Data East did. They likely did the same for the same reasons.

All that being said, I am kind of surprised that your are having an issue with stress cracking (this is the first I have ever heard of one cracking). I wonder if others are experiencing the same issue? This plastic is very durable and flexible. Here is a video I just shot of me bending one. And this is an original repro ramp thats been sitting around from 8 years ago.

#219 8 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

Yes, the original and repro G ramps were both formed flat. On my original repro run I looked into having the mold made in the proper shape/angle, but the depth of the mold more than doubles which made the price of the mold skyrocket. Also they were concerned with the depth of the draw for the plastic and it thinning the sheets out too much in the bends and enviably making the ramps weaker. Not to mention the cutting fixture would need to be much more complex. All in all for a small run of ramps none of it mad sense to try. So I went with a flat mold like Data East did. They likely did the same for the same reasons.
All that being said, I am kind of surprised that your are having an issue with stress cracking. This plastic is very durable and flexible. Here is a video I just shot of me bending one. And this is an original repro ramp thats been sitting around from 8 years ago.

Thanks for the insight - totally understandable to go flat.

Dude, just the titleframe from that video gives me the heebie-jeebies!

Not sure how long it was after install when my cracks appeared (it wasn't terribly long, as once I noticed them I didn't put the stickers on), nor if it was all at once or if they crept up, but they don't appear to have grown in the year and a half or so since I saw them.

You can just barely see the ends of a few of them just under the upper gate on that ramp in the picture I posted a few days ago earlier on this page. Figure if they ever do expand or if I take that horse to a show I'll drop another ramp in.

#220 8 years ago

What kind of grip we should looking for if i want to change it?.. look like there is a lot of different one in the market...

#221 8 years ago

I used Ruger Blackhawk grips ... Read this thread back a ways to see more information about modifying those grips

1 month later
#222 8 years ago

Whats the chances of getting a pair of those grips to me blackjacker?

Quoted from Blackjacker:A few that I think are essential for GNR:
* PinSound board with a speaker upgrade (Flipper Fidelity/PinballPro or roll your own)
* LED OCD and EnerGI Maestro boards
* Upgraded magnet board from Great Lakes Modular
And if you're powder coating your side rails, legs and whatnot, replace the plastic rear glass channel, H-channel and lift channel with steel replacements, and have them powder coated to match, along with the U-channel at the bottom of the speaker panel. Easy to overlook doing those, but looks really sharp when done.
And get some custom grips on your gun shooter handle. (Pics of mine below - basement lighting, super-reflective surfaces and my lack of skill with a camera all combining to make some less-than-stellar pics, but you get the idea.)
Rear glass channel, speaker panel U- and H-channels and lift channel replaced w/ steel versions and powder coated:
gnr_3.JPG
gnr_grip_2.JPG
gnr_grip_3.JPG

1 week later
#223 8 years ago

What are people doing about the ball launch issue? On my game, using the recommended launch coil, during multi-ball it sometimes gets stuck with multiple balls in the shooter lane. I see there's a service bulletin to address this - does that fool-proof it or are there other solutions?

#224 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

What are people doing about the ball launch issue? On my game, using the recommended launch coil, during multi-ball it sometimes gets stuck with multiple balls in the shooter lane. I see there's a service bulletin to address this - does that fool-proof it or are there other solutions?

Service Bulletin really doesn't help ...... perhaps this thread will help explain it better

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-des-upgraded-guns-n-roses-shooter-ramp

I have the original black ramps but as thread I linked above states "adjustment is key" It doesn't happen nearly as frequently it did when I bought it but its definitely MUCH better but not completely 100% resolved .....

#225 8 years ago

I have the version 2 chrome ramp,did the service bulletin recommendations, installed new coil,new shooter coil bracket,and have not any issues. I was going to install a stronger coil but have not had to .

#226 8 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

I have the version 2 chrome ramp,did the service bulletin recommendations, installed new coil,new shooter coil bracket,and have not any issues. I was going to install a stronger coil but have not had to .

I have tryed everything plus a 500 coil and it is better but not good enough,could we remove the offending ramp an have it chromed,mabey chromed in black or electro plated or what ever,what would you recommend.very fun game but When multi ball starts it is a concern.

#227 8 years ago

I think the chrome helps . I'd switch to version 3 if I could find one. Check your bracket that holds coil. Mine was broken and bent. Got another one from planetary pinball.

#228 8 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I have tryed everything plus a 500 coil and it is better but not good enough,could we remove the offending ramp an have it chromed,mabey chromed in black or electro plated or what ever,what would you recommend.very fun game but When multi ball starts it is a concern.

I know what you mean. Really sucks when balls back up in shooter lane. I was very frustrated but refused to give up.

#229 8 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Can you post some pics of the backboard where you re-drilled the mounting hole?

#230 8 years ago

Does anyone have any pictures or good instructions on adding the cold cathode tubes to backlight the Pinbits GNR red backpanel? I have seen many people mention they did the mod, but can't find any good instructions.

I would also like to know if they used one or two cathode tubes and what length.

Thanks!

#231 8 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

Does anyone have any pictures or good instructions on adding the cold cathode tubes to backlight the Pinbits GNR red backpanel? I have seen many people mention they did the mod, but can't find any good instructions.
I would also like to know if they used one or two cathode tubes and what length.

Thanks!

I tryed the cold tube but it screwed up my audio so I just used a strip of 12 v LEDs,you need to use the orginal plastic for a mount backplate for the cold tube or the led strip then some spacers and then the pinbits plastic.you will need to pull the orginal bolts and buy some longer one and cut the heads off for a nut,I guess you could put it all toghter and then run the bolts through both plastics with the spacers into the game but I found it easer to mount screws,orginal plastic ,tube or led strip,spacers,pinbit plastic then nuts,look a few pages back, someone explains there similar mount

#232 8 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

I upgraded the grips on the gun shooter. Added real Ruger rosewood grips. Also painted the mounting plate black so that only the gun was chrome.
DSC02808.JPG DSC02805.JPG

Wow! Very well done mod! I need get me a g n r pin and do this mod lol

#233 8 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

Thanks!

I thought I´d posted some pics already but can´t find them anymore so here they are again. Maybe they give you an idea how that backpanel can be mounted very easily.
I used normal 1" hexbolts which go right into the original hinges (the two in the middle are just for stability). Then the Pinbits backpanel is mounted onto those hexbolts.

P1050613_(resized).JPGP1050613_(resized).JPG
P1050609_(resized).JPGP1050609_(resized).JPG
P1050612_(resized).JPGP1050612_(resized).JPG

#234 8 years ago
Quoted from BigLebowski:

I used normal 1" hexbolts which go right into the original hinges

Did you mean original holes in the quote above? If so I noticed the Pinbits plastic is pre-drilled so maybe that's where those holes line up?

I think I am going to try and light mine up with cold cathode tubes.

Thanks for the pics and info!

#235 8 years ago

Yes, there´s two little hinges on each side of the cabinet right under the backbox. The Pinbits plastic (the engraved one as well as the blank one) line exactly up with the holes in those hinges. The only holes I had to drill where the ones in the middle of the blank plastic for the "stability posts".

#236 8 years ago
Quoted from BigLebowski:

Yes, there´s two little hinges on each side of the cabinet right under the backbox. The Pinbits plastic (the engraved one as well as the blank one) line exactly up with the holes in those hinges. The only holes I had to drill where the ones in the middle of the blank plastic for the "stability posts".

Thanks!

2 months later
#237 8 years ago

I see CPR is currently taking pre-orders for reproduction GNR playfields ... IDK mine is pretty good IMO ...not perfect but overall clean glossy and intact .... little bit of ball wear near the " N' "at center logo and just below slash's arm from the out hole ... there is a cliffy there so im not sure exactly what it looks like under outhole but beyond that it's pretty damn good compared to a lot ive seen ....... initial cost VS labor VS payoff when and IF i ever decide to sell l mine I just think would be a losing situation overall because really nobody really cares about the little detailslike that but me when i show it to people ... LOL

my actual playfiled wear would be covered if i bought one of those "center logo" GNR overlays but really i'm hesitant because i think it would have a "ridge" or "lip" and maybe the ball would hit / roll funny but maybe not.... IDK ... any of you try one of those? opinions????

So any of you modders around here interested in doing an actual playfield change ???? wish i could post a poll but doesn't appear to be an option ... sounds intriguing to me but also like a big pain in the @$$ ...

#238 8 years ago

I think I am lucky, as I do not have any wear whatsoever on the pf.

#239 8 years ago
Quoted from HighwayStarr:

So any of you modders around here interested in doing an actual playfield change ???? wish i could post a poll but doesn't appear to be an option ... sounds intriguing to me but also like a big pain in the @$$ ...

My first PF swap was my GNR, just about 2 years ago. It's really just a matter of taking way too many photos and keeping the parts tagged and separated by area/order of removal.

Tore mine down and sent the playfield to HEP for restore/clear. While it was gone, everything got cleaned, metal off to the powder coater, connectors repinned as needed, etc. - it's a big job, but a great opportunity to get everything attached to the PF cleaned and tweaked. Do it!

#240 8 years ago

I just preordered one. Does anyone have an estimated time frame? I am guessing quite a while, but I could (hopefully) be wrong. I hate to go to the time and expense of this. My playfield only has one flaw, but it is a small gash to the wood right on Slash's arm. It is covered, and not a single person has noticed it until I point it out to them, but I just don't like it. lol

#241 8 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

not a single person has noticed it until I point it out to them, but I just don't like it. lol

Ha, thats exactly what i was gettting at ..... LOL

#242 8 years ago
Quoted from HighwayStarr:

I see CPR is currently taking pre-orders for reproduction GNR playfields

Cheers for the heads up, ordered!

#243 8 years ago
Quoted from Ball_Shine:

Cheers for the heads up, ordered!

welcome !

1 week later
#244 8 years ago

Just thought I would share this info: I wanted to light up my snake and mirror backboard with LED Strips which needed 12v.

As I had recently upgraded to the ColorDMD I realized I know have an extra connector not being used for the Colordmd (old power connector for display) I noticed there was a 12v pin in that connector and ran new 12v lines to each of the 12v strips.

Hopefully helpful to someone...

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

1 week later
#245 7 years ago

Lit up my snake via a 12 VDC led strip inside the snake along the length

Powered it via a step up board connected via a bridge rectifier to the GI. In this way it goes off when the GI goes off and also you can easily control the voltage eg the strength of the led light

So, changed speakers and lit them up, colordmd, white rubber, superbands, upgraded speakers, cleaned everything. What's next? Pinsound?

#246 7 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

So, changed speakers and lit them up, colordmd, white rubber, superbands, upgraded speakers, cleaned everything. What's next? Pinsound?

PinSound is a must in GNR. Along with LED OCD and EnerGI Maestro.

#247 7 years ago

Made a little movie on my GnR including gameplay and picutres befor and after. Hope you guys dont find it boring

#248 7 years ago

Yes I agree and have the Pinsound!

#249 7 years ago

IMO, Pinsound is the BEST mod for a GNR Pinball Machine

#250 7 years ago

I have been looking for a video that shows a machine with and without Pinsound to understand the difference in audio quality. The only videos I can find are ones with modified music.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chelsea, MI
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Franklin Square, NY
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 549.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 343 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guns-n-roses-mods/page/5?hl=highwaystarr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.